Books A Song of Ice and Fire (Books) | TV show? What TV show?

Cina

UPDATE: If you've read all the books and want to talk about the TV show, post in here, NOT the other thread. We have handed out warnings and even bans to book readers who have overstepped in there. You have been warned!

Last edited:

Cina

Well I'll start, I loved it from start to finish. The pace was a bit slow at times but it needed to be, it was necessary to get viewer who haven't read the books to know who the characters are.

Thought all the characters were spot on so far, Daenerys is yummy. Arya maybe not ugly enough. They've cut a bit from the books but they have to I suppose, because it's just so vast.

It's so gorey too :lol: the scene with the dothraki fighting where his intestines come out in great. And the final scene was awesome, just set up the pace perfectly. Just so good that it is on HBO, could not imagine this show on any other channel.

Donut

I loved it too. I wonder how it is for those that haven't read the books, must be brilliant not knowing all the twists. Though on the other hand I'm still glad I read the books first.

I just hope it will have enough viewers for it to stay for a long time and motivate Martin to finish the books.

Member 39557

I haven't read the books, but I really enjoyed it. I like the idea of the white walkers and I hope they play a big part in it. I like the dark feel of it and the different plots that are beginning to form.

A promising first episode

Cina

I thought the white walkers were done very well. The first scene was just absolutely fantastic.

I do wonder what it's like for people who haven't read the books, personally I thought at times that it must be a struggle for people who haven't read them to understand who certain characters are, like Jon Arryn, it's not really explained in detail exactly who he is and why Robert and Eddard like him so much.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
It was a struggle for those of us who have read the books to understand who most characters were to start with! Heck he still adds about a 500 new names to every book he releases anyway, just to confuse us even more.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I thought the white walkers were done very well. The first scene was just absolutely fantastic.

I do wonder what it's like for people who haven't read the books, personally I thought at times that it must be a struggle for people who haven't read them to understand who certain characters are, like Jon Arryn, it's not really explained in detail exactly who he is and why Robert and Eddard like him so much.
Well I haven't read the book (yet) and it was quite difficult in the opening episode just to grasp what each characters name/purpose was and their relationships with one another. Still more than enthralling enough to stick with and get to know them mind.

Member 39557

They suggested he was like a father figure who trained/guided them. The only bit I found confusing was when they referred to the Lannisters that were allegedly behind his death. I didn't know who/what the name Lannisters referred to, but I subsequently found out for myself.

AllhailManUtd

Manchester United need a minor miracle now, they'r
It was a struggle for those of us who have read the books to understand who most characters were to start with! Heck he still adds about a 500 new names to every book he releases anyway, just to confuse us even more.
Yup, having just recently finished the series the second time around, I can truly say I enjoyed it much more than the first time around since the character relationships were better established in my head.

nimic

something nice
Scout
That viewers guide is quite brilliant. Perfect for a series such as this, which is bound to confuse a lot of people with it's multitude of major characters.

Cina

Yeah good to have, it's going to get more and more complex with characters throughout. As Smashed said, there are feckloads of characters in this, it's just monstrous.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I haven't read the books but I enjoyed the first episode regardless.

AllhailManUtd

Manchester United need a minor miracle now, they'r
Was anyone else impressed with Sophie Turners acting (Sansa)? In the book she is akin to today's beauty pageant competitors i.e. everything is plastic and a facade. I thought she nailed it, everything she says sounds rehearsed and (BOOK SPOILER)

how I imagined her to be in the book. Which is why the transformation will be all the more interesting once the shit hits the fan

SmashedHombre

Was anyone else impressed with Sophie Turners acting (Sansa)? In the book she is akin to today's beauty pageant competitors i.e. everything is plastic and a facade. I thought she nailed it, everything she says sounds rehearsed and (BOOK SPOILER)

how I imagined her to be in the book. Which is why the transformation will be all the more interesting once the shit hits the fan
I like Sansa. There aren't many characters in the book I do like now that Robb is dead, but you always kind of knew she was going to get a massive reality check and we would see another side to her. So I hope Sophie Turner does a decent job of that as Sansa is one of my more preferred characters.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Already?! I guess the ratings for the pilot (and all the re-airings they apparently did/are doing) must have been quite high. I'm sure I read somewhere that a second season was a definite possibility, but they would have to see how it rated.

Spoony

The People's President
On a serious not. I love tits...but are what's Game of Thrones target audience? geeky teenagers?

I'm being very serious before anyone calls me a stroll or something.

The_Red_Hope

Troll !!! Seriously though, the show has a targetted adult audience - tits aside, you'll see many themes progressing as the series continues. Its been one episode FFS, and they had to get all that character introduction and exposition out of the way. Give it time and stop with your TV-show-trolling-ways ! ;)

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Great first episode. Haven't read the books, gonna start reading them when I leave to go see our team go through in the CL.

Great first scene. Started watching the show with the girlfriend but I imagine she's not gonna continue watching this.

Jon is by far the superior character. I can relate to him in some ways.

The_Red_Hope

Great first episode. Haven't read the books, gonna start reading them when I leave to go see our team go through in the CL.

Great first scene. Started watching the show with the girlfriend but I imagine she's not gonna continue watching this.

You share a surname, no wonder you relate to him.

SmashedHombre

How is he superior? Not even sure what you mean by that. I'm not a fan of his. He starts out fairly interesting I guess, but he's just boring and generic and lucky enough to be almost always be involved in the most interesting parts of the books

SmashedHombre

Nah, this is only the nickname. I expect Sean Bean to be the biggest dogs bullocks (how's that for a British comment) throughout the show/books.
Ah, you haven't read the books? I guess that may explain the Jon Snow thing. He just gets dull for me

Spoony

The People's President
Her son is 12 years old. It was her brother ;)
Cool. No really, that was cool.

Okay, I think Sean Bean's lot were auld English. The fit blonde princess's people were a kin to the Ancient Romans or Greek and the bloke she married's tribe were perhaps Visigoths/Vandals/Huns/*insert any Barbarian tribe that may have caused the Romans a migraine*.

Am I right?

And will be get to see any more demons or other fantasy stuff?

Spoony

The People's President
I said Roman because it looked as if they're were in ancient Carthage. Well that was one of the reasons.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
How is he superior? Not even sure what you mean by that. I'm not a fan of his. He starts out fairly interesting I guess, but he's just boring and generic and lucky enough to be almost always be involved in the most interesting parts of the books
It was just a pun because of my nickname. Nothing more.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Cool. No really, that was cool.

Okay, I think Sean Bean's lot were auld English. The fit blonde princess's people were a kin to the Ancient Romans or Greek and the bloke she married's tribe were perhaps Visigoths/Vandals/Huns/*insert any Barbarian tribe that may have caused the Romans a migraine*.

Am I right?

And will be get to see any more demons or other fantasy stuff?
It's not as simple obviously, but I guess you can look at it like that. North = old Northern Europe, Kings Landing (capital) = Southern France, maybe, Mediterranean. And then the far south = Southern Spain/Northern Africa, maybe. But then you also have the other continent, across the narrow sea, with city states, and the Dothraki (yeah, basically mongols/steppe people).

As for "fantasy elements"..

More and more, yes. It will still be more about the characters, at least for a few seasons, but the entire premise is a sort of "magic slowly coming back" scenario.