Books A Song of Ice and Fire (Books) | TV show? What TV show?

Fully Fledged

Again, unless he's doing something completely unprecedented it doesn't matter how wroth he is.

Also of course we don't have a list of every Kingsguard ever but it seems an odd assumption to suggest that this situation is somehow a unique exception to the documented and established history. Nobles died in tournaments all the time, many at the hands of Kingsguards.
There is only about 14 kings guards on the list.

Lord Commanders

Knights

My point is if he was Wroth for him ruining the wedding by killing somebody in a tourney how much worse would he be if the King's Guard murdered the man. Secondly do we have any other example of a Kings Guard killing a noble for no apparent reason?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
How could he? He started a stamped that put the princess in danger.
Again, he can simply just say that Joffrey threatened someone or attacked him first and he'd be believed.

Yeah I didn't scroll down enough.
All good mate - your question as to an example of a KG killing a noble is a good one. Obviously there are shedloads of examples in wartimes but I'll do some digging to see if I can turn anything up in other circumstances. Really enjoyed our chat though!

Fully Fledged

Again, he can simply just say that Joffrey threatened someone or attacked him first and he'd be believed.

All good mate - your question as to an example of a KG killing a noble is a good one. Obviously there are shedloads of examples in wartimes but I'll do some digging to see if I can turn anything up in other circumstances. Really enjoyed our chat though!
But everybody could see that he didn't. It was obvious that Criston started it.

Yeah me as well I like dissecting works of fiction that I'm interested in.

Fully Fledged

What's your point?

That means angry, not murdery.
Wrathful means you're gonna feck shite up. The main point though was yes the queen could get him off with a mistake in a tourney but I think the king would be a lot more pissed with how it went down in the show.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
But everybody could see that he didn't. It was obvious that Criston started it.
Really? I had the exact opposite impression given the way it was filmed - especially from the perspective of Viserys. He noticed there was some sort of kerfuffle popping up but couldn't figure out why, he was distracted by Daemon and Rhaenyra, etc.

b82REZ

Wrathful means you're gonna feck shite up. The main point though was yes the queen could get him off with a mistake in a tourney but I think the king would be a lot more pissed with how it went down in the show.
Wrathful just means very angry. That can manifest in violence but someone being described as wroth doesn't mean they're going round sentencing people to death.

Also the king is dying and knows it. He doesn't care about a KG going Mountain on someone.

InfiniteBoredom

The way it went down in the show he would have most likely had to stand for trial/demand trial by combat etc, since the murder was not in service of his ward, the sentence would most likely be exile to the Wall (or beheaded if him bedding Rhaenyra was proven). In the novella, there's not a cat's chance in hell that he would have faced anything beyond some angry words, The Mountain killed a young knight deliberately in Robert's tourney, Prince Baelor Breakspear was killed in a trial by combat defending Dunk, none of them resulted in any consequences for the killer. It's explicitly understood that you forfeit your personal safety enlisting in the joust/melee, and no recrimination would come for the victor should you be unlucky enough to die.

Fully Fledged

Wrathful just means very angry. That can manifest in violence but someone being described as wroth doesn't mean they're going round sentencing people to death.

Also the king is dying and knows it. He doesn't care about a KG going Mountain on someone.
The king collapsing might be how they deal with it. If he was bedridden for a while the queen might have taken charge of the situation.

Fully Fledged

The way it went down in the show he would have most likely had to stand for trial/demand trial by combat etc, since the murder was not in service of his ward, the sentence would most likely be exile to the Wall (or beheaded if him bedding Rhaenyra was proven). In the novella, there's not a cat's chance in hell that he would have faced anything beyond some angry words, The Mountain killed a young knight deliberately in Robert's tourney, Prince Baelor Breakspear was killed in a trial by combat defending Dunk, none of them resulted in any consequences for the killer. It's explicitly understood that you forfeit your personal safety enlisting in the joust/melee, and no recrimination would come for the victor should you be unlucky enough to die.
As I said the post after. The King collapsing might be the way that they get the queen to deal with the situation and brush it under the rug.

b82REZ

The king collapsing might be how they deal with it. If he was bedridden for a while the queen might have taken charge of the situation.
I think you've read far too much into this and tried to translate the books directly to the show. f&B says Viserys was angry, nothing really suggests he was about to sentence a KG to death.

Even more so in show there is reasonable doubt over how it started. We are lead to assume Cole snapped after the convo, but there are plenty of other scenarios that could have lead to someone getting their head stoved in. Also there is the simple defence of him claiming he threatened the King/Princess/Queen.

The scene in the show was simply to show how he switched to the Greens with Allicent stopping him from committing suicide.

Fully Fledged

I think you've read far too much into this and tried to translate the books directly to the show. f&B says Viserys was angry, nothing really suggests he was about to sentence a KG to death.

Even more so in show there is reasonable doubt over how it started. We are lead to assume Cole snapped after the convo, but there are plenty of other scenarios that could have lead to someone getting their head stoved in. Also there is the simple defence of him claiming he threatened the King/Princess/Queen.

The scene in the show was simply to show how he switched to the Greens with Allicent stopping him from committing suicide.
I don't think he was but I'm saying the way they changed it up in the show would change the magnitude of his anger.

b82REZ

I don't think he was but I'm saying the way they changed it up in the show would change the magnitude of his anger.
But Viserys doesn't care about that and is only concerned for his daughter. Rewatch the scene, he's looking for her, not at the UFC fight that's just broken out.

Fully Fledged

But Viserys doesn't care about that and is only concerned for his daughter. Rewatch the scene, he's looking for her, not at the UFC fight that's just broken out.
And the fact that she got hurt in the carnage started by Ser Cole would magnify the outcome. The new prince consort saw the whole thing.

jeff_goldblum

Not spent much time in here for a few years but hope we're still doing plot speculation despite it looking increasingly unlikely we're going to get any answers.

Re-reading at the moment, I noticed there's no POV confirmation that Grey Wind dies at the Red Wedding. There's the (presumably Frey-spread) story that his and Robb's bodies got mutilated after they died and then there's a Frey who relates to Stoneheart that Grey Wind got loose and killed a few Freys before being killed himself (but that Frey didn't see it happen because he was inside with the Greatjon). There's a couple of references in Jon and Bran chapters, but Bran's POV uses pretty non-commital language, whereas Jon's POV is more definitive but is possibly coloured by the fact that he's heard the Red Wedding stories (he says Ghost knows that Grey Wind is dead, but for all we know that's just because Jon "knows" that, daft to assume the Warg-Wolf info exchange only goes one way).

What do people reckon? Any chance Grey Wind is kicking around the riverlands somewhere? Sorry if this has been discussed to death before

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Not spent much time in here for a few years but hope we're still doing plot speculation despite it looking increasingly unlikely we're going to get any answers.

Re-reading at the moment, I noticed there's no POV confirmation that Grey Wind dies at the Red Wedding. There's the (presumably Frey-spread) story that his and Robb's bodies got mutilated after they died and then there's a Frey who relates to Stoneheart that Grey Wind got loose and killed a few Freys before being killed himself (but that Frey didn't see it happen because he was inside with the Greatjon). There's a couple of references in Jon and Bran chapters, but Bran's POV uses pretty non-commital language, whereas Jon's POV is more definitive but is possibly coloured by the fact that he's heard the Red Wedding stories (he says Ghost knows that Grey Wind is dead, but for all we know that's just because Jon "knows" that, daft to assume the Warg-Wolf info exchange only goes one way).

What do people reckon? Any chance Grey Wind is kicking around the riverlands somewhere? Sorry if this has been discussed to death before
I could be wrong but isn't the question in that Jon chapter whether Bran and Rickon's spirit lives on with their wolves? I thought it was pretty unambiguous which of the direwolves were alive or dead at that point and the only question was whether part of Bran and Rickon survived - because at that point Jon thinks they're dead.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Lord Beesbury deserved a proper death, not this accidental type of death.
Oh my god I only just realised the actor portraying him is the dad from Fleabag.

Agreed with you overall though - would have been nice for it to be unambiguous given the differing accounts in F&B, but as it is it's still somewhat ambiguous which is frustrating.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I’ve just started the journey. About 6 chapters into A Game of Thrones. Think I made a mistake watching the TV show first. I’m just picturing the first two episodes as I read it :lol:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I’ve just started the journey. About 6 chapters into A Game of Thrones. Think I made a mistake watching the TV show first. I’m just picturing the first two episodes as I read it :lol:
The books are all really great, hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Bobski

First three books without having seen any of the tv show, was one of my most enjoyable fantasy reading times ever.
Feast for Crows is pretty great as well, especially on re-reads when you can just revel in the exceptional writing.

1-3 is the GOAT fantasy series and A Storm of Swords might be best individual book the genre has ever produced.

Zen86

I don't suppose there's been any rumblings on TWOW in the last couple years has there? I'm guessing it's a lost cause now.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I don't suppose there's been any rumblings on TWOW in the last couple years has there? I'm guessing it's a lost cause now.
He said last month he's 75% finished.

InfiniteBoredom

He said he was 2/3rd done in 2020, now he said 3/4th a couple of weeks ago. That’s what? 10 chapters at best written in 2 years?

When it comes, if it does, it will be a pleasanr surprise. Safe to say even his publishers must have given up when he cant deliver the damn thing a decade after Dance.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He said he was 2/3rd done in 2020, now he said 3/4th a couple of weeks ago. That’s what? 10 chapters at best written in 2 years?

When it comes, if it does, it will be a pleasanr surprise. Safe to say even his publishers must have given up when he cant deliver the damn thing a decade after Dance.
He'll come out one day and say "I've finished Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring, and they're both being released next month at the same time. I'm also releasing the Westeros Compendium; a one thousand page encyclopedia on the history of the continent, with illustrations designed by BioWare. Why BioWare? Because they're bringing out the Game of Thrones video game. Over two hundred hours of open world fun, with all of Planetos available to explore - also being released next month!

In fact you can buy the entire package - all three books and the game - for just £59.99. But that's not all... Ever wanted your own real life dragon? Well , thanks to medical science..."