A top quality, clinical striker

Eric7C

Even though he is currently proving that wrong under Brendan now that the team plays with a different style.
We don't have enough of a sample, do we? Yes, he is clinical no question, but his strengths don't really lie in all-round CF play, which is the level of forward that United should ideally aspire to have.

The Nani

There's a lack of real quality in football these days. I'm sure there used to a raft of players you could put on a wishlist for each position. Now there's barely any.
Can’t disagree with that. But even someone like Milik would actually get into the right positions and score goals. It doesn’t take a world beater. Just the right type of player.

We used to have one or two on the bench regularly. We don’t even have one in the squad right now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We don't have enough of a sample, do we? Yes, he is clinical no question, but his strengths don't really lie in all-round CF play, which is the level of forward that United should ideally aspire to have.
I agree with that, not saying we should sign him. However he would be for us in this side alot better than what we have. He is a far better striker than any of our forwards IMO
His movement alone is lightyears ahead of Lukaku and his finishing

NinjaFletch

I'm sure it would help, but they aren't available and aren't coming to us if they are.

The more fixable issue is we create absolutely nothing.

Cassidy

I'm sure it would help, but they aren't available and aren't coming to us if they are.

The more fixable issue is we create absolutely nothing.
Except its not really true is it. Plenty of chances to kill Chelsea in the first 45, wasn't Lukaku put through on goals and fecked up his touch. We don't create enough but our forwards also don't bury their chances.

2/3 chances to be up vs Barca as well, Arsenal in the league, the game that would have likely got us top 4. 2/3 chances, one fecking sitter as well to go in front before we even conceded. We cannot deny that our strikers are shite, and also creating chances requires movement in the forward line and quite frankly we don't have any of it if Rashford isn't on the field, or Lingard.

Martial and Lukakus movement is a complete joke.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
And what "footballing philosophy" would that be? Lukaku, Rashford, Martial literally none of them are good enough to be the main men for us up front. Harry Kane is type of striker that we used to have up front, pure quality. Now we have the three stooges who constantly miss sitters as if their life depended on it.
Personally I say a footballing philosophy similar to that of Spurs, where when in possession, we practice patience and purpose in our passing, and utilize pace and dynamism in our attack. Without possession, organized pressing on a level that our players are not that familiar with before. Utilize Maurauding attacking fullbacks that knows how to attack the space and put in good crosses, whereas an emphasis will be placed on improving our fitness level so that our team will always work harder than the opponent.

Rdm - Ldm
Sancho - Felix or Dybala or Havertz- Martial
Lukaku/Rashford

With a dynamic front four line this with attacking fullbacks and holding midfielders, it will get the best out of these players that was mentioned.

Last edited:

The Nani

Except its not really true is it. Plenty of chances to kill Chelsea in the first 45, wasn't Lukaku put through on goals and fecked up his touch. We don't create enough but our forwards also don't bury their chances.

2/3 chances to be up vs Barca as well, Arsenal in the league, the game that would have likely got us top 4. 2/3 chances, one fecking sitter as well to go in front before we even conceded. We cannot deny that our strikers are shite, and also creating chances requires movement in the forward line and quite frankly we don't have any of it if Rashford isn't on the field, or Lingard.

Exactly. Never mind the fact that a truly predatory striker can score from half chances as RvP did.

Our forwards cock up chances and the most basic moves or just don’t move at all.

It’s a disgrace.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

The numbers over the season don't support your hypothesis. City creates 50% more chances than we do.

Schick could be a good left-field option.Talented player who's not getting much of a look in at Roma.

You look past the obvious names and there are good players out there who can do a good job for us.
Good players who've got something to prove are always available.

Last edited:

The Nani

Personally I say a footballing philosophy similar to that of Spurs, where when in possession, we practice patience and purpose in our passing, and utilize pace and dynamism in our attack. Without possession, organized pressing on a level that our players are not that familiar with before. Utilize Maurauding attacking fullbacks that knows how to attack the space and put in good crosses, whereas an emphasis will be placed on improving our fitness level so that our team will always work harder than the opponent.

Rdm - Ldm
Sancho - Felix or Dybala - Martial
Lukaku/Rashford

With a dynamic front four line this with attacking fullbacks and holding midfielders, it will get the best out of these players that was mentioned.
If we’re still relying on Rashford and Lukaku next season we’re fecked.

And I don’t care about Spurs or Poch or any other manager. That’s not what this thread is about. I’m still fully behind Ole as that’s the only legitimate perspective right now.

We’re just in an absolute state upfront and I think it needs addressing more than any other area of the pitch this summer.

Canagel

The numbers over the season don't support your hypothesis. City creates 50% more chances than we do.
Both points is true. We don't create enough and once we do start to create majority of these attackers isn't the ones to pin our hopes on.

ghagua

Get Jovic and Dembele in. Get Sancho, Hudson-Odoi and Jao Felix to supply the ammunition. Get a couple of midfielder behind then with technical ability and a lot of fight in them to provide a stable base. Flog Martial and Rashford as soon as possible before they lose all their value. Lukaku will find his own way out of the club sooner or later.

Get Jovic and Dembele in. Get Sancho, Hudson-Odoi and Jao Felix to supply the ammunition. Get a couple of midfielder behind then with technical ability and a lot of fight in them to provide a stable base. Flog Martial and Rashford as soon as possible before they lose all their value. Lukaku will find his own way out of the club sooner or later.
Yeah,none of this is going to happen.

wolvored

Hope Ole will give Greenwood a full 90 mins against Cardiff as the striker. He said last week he should be fit for the last game.

Walters_19_MuFc

The main problem with the team is that we don't play as a team.

I'm not saying we should go into next season with Rashford as our starter, but in a Sir Alex team, we were firing on all cylinders. The team were well drilled. We were confident and had leaders everywhere you looked. It meant that it was easier for the younger players to settle. We haven't got that now.

Rashford should be Lukaku's understudy, but he's been poor.

We do need a top striker, but if you think buying a top striker would sort out our problems, then you're wrong.

Our transition play is poor and on the rare occasions we do find the ball in good areas, we are extremely wasteful.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
If we’re still relying on Rashford and Lukaku next season we’re fecked.

And I don’t care about Spurs or Poch or any other manager. That’s not what this thread is about. I’m still fully behind Ole as that’s the only legitimate perspective right now.

We’re just in an absolute state upfront and I think it needs addressing more than any other area of the pitch this summer.
I don’t believe we are, in the condition I showed. With Sancho and a intelligent, hard working number ten added to our attack, plus fullbacks playing further forward, Rashford and Lukaku will benefit from a more organized, creative structure. However, I have some doubts towards whether Rashford will be more suited on the flanks or in the middle.

Last edited:

haram

Hope Ole will give Greenwood a full 90 mins against Cardiff as the striker. He said last week he should be fit for the last game.
Hopefully we play split strikers. Would be a big ask for Greenwood to play up top on his own.

SV_Planegg

Supports
SV Planegg-Krailling
Piatek would fit perfectly. Clinical, mobile and technically sound striker that might be available for 70-80 m. Maybe send Lukaku the other way?
Let me dream for a bit.

Cassidy

City are better than hs we don’t and have forwards who move. So please tell
Me what is wrong with my hyposthesis. The best team in the league creates more chances than we do means are strikers are not shite and their movement is not lacking?

jem

We don’t even remember what one looks like do we. The constant excuses and rationalization of our forward play of late leads me believe we have.

Lukaku has largely been piss in front of goal and kills more moves than a junior high chaperone. Rashford isn’t even a center forward. He makes Chicharito look like an all-arounder yet everyone constantly rushes to his defense.

Even Zlatan was only decent yet a couple of my mates and everyone by in large seemed to act as if he was Cantona reincarnated when he was here. Yet he was well and truly Serie A level at best. Was at the top of the chances missed column as I recall.

Falcao had it in him but sadly injuries had taken their toll and he was just off the pace. Lovely bloke though.

The last proper CF we had was RvP. I want yous to think about his level in Sir Alex’s last season and then tell me what the main problem with this team is.

It’s glaring.
:lol: That's brilliant, and agree with all the rest.

The Nani

The main problem with the team is that we don't play as a team.

I'm not saying we should go into next season with Rashford as our starter, but in a Sir Alex team, we were firing on all cylinders. The team were well drilled. We were confident and had leaders everywhere you looked. It meant that it was easier for the younger players to settle. We haven't got that now.

Rashford should be Lukaku's understudy, but he's been poor.

We do need a top striker, but if you think buying a top striker would sort out our problems, then you're wrong.

Our transition play is poor and on the rare occasions we do find the ball in good areas, we are extremely wasteful.
I don’t disagree with you per se, and I definitely don’t think one quality striker would be a cure all.

However, the one position Fergie kept us well stocked in if not overstocked through the years was center forward. And we certainly didn’t always hit on all cylinders, especially in his final few seasons. But we had the quality and ruthlessness upfront to punish teams.

I would hope that Ole sees this deficiency, considering the type of player he was for us.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
City are better than hs we don’t and have forwards who move. So please tell
Me what is wrong with my hyposthesis. The best team in the league creates more chances than we do means are strikers are not shite and their movement is not lacking?
No.

I'm saying that the improvement you'll get from plopping Aguero or Kane in this current squad is miniscule compared to the improvement you'll get from improving the team's ability to create chances from wide and deep, even with Rashford and Lukaku up top.

Look at the conversion rates of the top strikers compared to ours. They are putting chances away at about the same rates. They just have more chances to convert, which means more goals. We strain to create 2 good chances in a game.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
AHA....if you want go get Bas Dost at Sporting....please.:wenger:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lukaku is more than a decent option. Yes, he is not really elite level yet but far better than the options we have . Just give him a consistent run upfront and pretty sure he will get us goals.

May be wait for an year or two for the right opportunity and replace him but for now just stick with him. Rashford should be a backup.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lukaku, Rashford and Martial had a higher ceiling than Salah and Mane before they signed for Liverpool. We just need a better footballing philosophy and they will produce better returns.
This. Coaching makes a big difference . Carrick and Co sadly just doesn't seem to be up for it.

Aloysius's Back 3

No.

I'm saying that the improvement you'll get from plopping Aguero or Kane in this current squad is miniscule compared to the improvement you'll get from improving the team's ability to create chances from wide and deep, even with Rashford and Lukaku up top.

Look at the conversion rates of the top strikers compared to ours. They are putting chances away at about the same rates. They just have more chances to convert, which means more goals. We strain to create 2 good chances in a game.
This.

We can complain about Rashford not being good at headers - but how often do we cross a ball properly in to the box?

JEredDevil

Although age was not on his side, what Zlatan had in him was his character. He had this unmatched confidence in his own ability no matter what the circumstances was. The ability to keep going and going and going despite his age. I would take him in a street fight over anyone else. Zlatan character was huge, he was probably the reason we won the Europa League with this shite of squad actually. Can't even see us making the SF of Europa next season if majority of the squad is still around next season.
Zlatan didnt had the power of Ronaldo, the flair of Messi or even the productivity of Aguero, but he brought with him this confidence and work ethic that was infectious which we are sorely lacking right now.

Bojan11

No.

I’m confused. Who do you support?

haram

If we have decent delivery, width, build up and counters like a normal team, Lukaku will get goals.

The fact that we have no width or delivery is disgusting.