A top quality, clinical striker

Kammy26

No.

I'm saying that the improvement you'll get from plopping Aguero or Kane in this current squad is miniscule compared to the improvement you'll get from improving the team's ability to create chances from wide and deep, even with Rashford and Lukaku up top.

Look at the conversion rates of the top strikers compared to ours. They are putting chances away at about the same rates. They just have more chances to convert, which means more goals. We strain to create 2 good chances in a game.
Yes the conversation rates are the same, but they get more chances because they help the midfielders, with link up play and play making, which our strikers are not capable of doing.

Rashfords to selfish and can’t execute what he’s seen on the Ronaldo YouTube video the day before the match and well Lukaku is Lukaku

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
No.

I'm saying that the improvement you'll get from plopping Aguero or Kane in this current squad is miniscule compared to the improvement you'll get from improving the team's ability to create chances from wide and deep, even with Rashford and Lukaku up top.

Look at the conversion rates of the top strikers compared to ours. They are putting chances away at about the same rates. They just have more chances to convert, which means more goals. We strain to create 2 good chances in a game.
This is spot on, sell Lukaku and put him in a decent team creating chances and his goals will rack up again.

Your build up and creative play have been an issue since the days of Moyes and every time you try and buy a player to create more chances your manager at the time seems to always feck it up either by play him out of position or tactically wrong (Mata with Moyes, LvG and Mou or Di Maria with LvG) destroy his confidence and mess him around until he's so shit he has to go (Mhiki with Mou etc) or just buy over the hill players hoping to restore past glories (Falcao, Sanchez, Schweiny etc)

A shiny new striker looks great on paper, but actually for me, it's the team behind that's needs the shake up.

Denis79

Ole will try and play ‘Rashy’ into form. Totally disregarding that this actually is his form.
Hope not, if he is to succeed here. He has to be more ruthless. Still think that Rashford will become great for us but we can't reward poor form. Moyes, LVG and Mourinho all had their un-dropables even though they didn't perform. Ole needs to change that.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We don’t even remember what one looks like do we. The constant excuses and rationalization of our forward play of late leads me believe we have.

Lukaku has largely been piss in front of goal and kills more moves than a junior high chaperone. Rashford isn’t even a center forward. He makes Chicharito look like an all-arounder yet everyone constantly rushes to his defense.

Even Zlatan was only decent yet a couple of my mates and everyone by in large seemed to act as if he was Cantona reincarnated when he was here. Yet he was well and truly Serie A level at best. Was at the top of the chances missed column as I recall.

Falcao had it in him but sadly injuries had taken their toll and he was just off the pace. Lovely bloke though.

The last proper CF we had was RvP. I want yous to think about his level in Sir Alex’s last season and then tell me what the main problem with this team is.

It’s glaring.
We don't even create consistent chances. So unless they possess the exact skill set of RVP or more. they'd hardly bail us out currently, to be brutally honest

Le Red

He would struggle against teams that sit back against United. Part of the reason his record against the top 6 is so good is that Leicester are set up to exploit his strengths on the counter attack. Plus he's 32.
What year are you in? Nobody sits back against us anymore. Every team seems confident and pushes forward when facing our rabble these days.

Vanya

We've needed a top quality striker for ages now.

The trouble is all departments - attack, midfield and defence - need reinforcements. Therefore I don't think a top class striker would be a priority for us.

If we do need a cheap option as a back up striker I think we should go for Ben Yedder from Sevilla.

Web of Bissaka

RVP is the last most recent one we've got -- a top quality and clinical striker.

Rooney is expired, used to be top quality and clinical.
Zlatan is still a top quality when we got him, but not clinical.

UDontMessWith24

The standard this club has set for center forward play compared to what we have now. Absolutely tragic.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I rarely look in past and personally i don't like when people do that. But now i must. Under Fergie we had era with weak midfield, with average wingers and full backs but central defenders and striker were always top top class. Striker wins you games. This whole idea of mobile front 3 who change positions is nice but you simply must have 25-30 goals attacker. It was easy to play that style with Tevez-Rooney- Ronaldo because they all were goalscorers.
We must buy striker. If we don't, we will struggle again to make top 4.
I thought that Lukaku is that but i guess that he isn't. Rashford certainly isn't. Martial? Who knows?
Give me fox in the box type of striker. Give me Icardi. He will be there in penalty box and score goals. Maybe he will flop, it is always chance for strikers in PL but imo, he is the best choice.

buckooo1978

agree totally with OP

Rashford has loads of potential. He's quick, skillful and can be a good finisher. So did Danny Welbeck though so there's no guarantee he's going to be good enough to be number 9 for a top United side

not sure there's an obvious choice as Aguero level players are in short supply. We need some experience up there but it feels like we might need to turn to a Jovic type player potentially

Mourinho sniffed around Manduzic and he was a warrior but he doesn't have the quality

I'd say we are looking for a striker in the 22-25 year old category ideally too. But if we brought someone in on the short term it might tick a box

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
1) He'd only thrive in a team that creates chances regularly for him and that just ain't us
2) No need for needless drama and his agent/wife interference
Too much drama and fear about his wife. And for no1; then what is the point of buying any player? We must presume that our general play will be good so that we will create chances and for that we need goalscorer. He is available so i would buy him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Too much drama and fear about his wife. And for no1; then what is the point of buying any player? We must presume that our general play will be good so that we will create chances and for that we need goalscorer. He is available so i would buy him.
Icardi is worse than Lukaku in that aspect, he barely features in any build up. If we don't adress the creativity issue of the team, having Icardi is pointless. There is nothing to presume about our play, Icardi would be a good addition if many things are already functioning
Argentinians and United don't really work together that well anyway

Last edited:

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
I'd swap Lukaku for Milik.

Neither are world beaters. Surprisingly, neither start 100% of the time for their clubs. But I think Milk's speed, technique & movement would suit Ole's counter-attack style better.

Mcking

I feel Mauro Icardi would have a similar impact to RVP. He is a top striker and a clutch player.

Godfather

Been saying for a while that we need two forwards. A CF and a RF. Let Martial and Rashford fight it out for the LF spot as undwerwhelming as that sounds.

Jovic would be perfect. Won't join though.

SER19

Icardi and vardy. Add some balls at least so every opposing defence doesn't have its cosiest day of the season.

Icardi vardy rashford martial is a good front 4 options. Greenwood too.

Dan_F

:houllier: at the Icardi mentions
I know! A lot of our fans can’t deal with Pogba changing his hair, or putting a video on social media. Can you imagine.

Obviously a higher level striker would help, just like a better centre back or midfielder would help. But it isn’t going to suddenly make us play great football. Do we really miss that many chances compared to other teams?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I know! A lot of our fans can’t deal with Pogba changing his hair, or putting a video on social media. Can you imagine.

Obviously a higher level striker would help, just like a better centre back or midfielder would help. But it isn’t going to suddenly make us play great football. Do we really miss that many chances compared to other teams?
Only during Mourinho's first season over the years creating chances has been a much bigger issue.

Varun

Staff
We should see if Greizmann is interested. Would be a problem given we don't have CL but worth a try.

We absolutely cannot go into next season with Rashford as our no 9 if we are serious about achieving something. He needs to rotate on the left with martial.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

We lack creativity and movement. Icardi wouldn't help in those aspects.
More chances of similar impact to Lukaku.
I'd more chances of similar impact to Higuain, at least Rom tries stuff (often unsuccesful) on the ball

redshaw

Vardy is not a bad shout, still scoring but 32 years old. What's the chance when we buy him he'll conk out or get injured too often?

Icardi, I would take the player on the pitch but him and his wife are trouble in waiting. I don't think they would like Manchester or even England. They seem like a typically grotesque celebrity Milanese couple and have said they don't want to live in Paris, London or Spain and love Milan the city. I'm sure we would have huge contract problems if he scores a few at money bags united. We would need a firm pay structure in place and players like Sanchez completely gone, they would demand 400k a week once here.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What we need is to look for strikers who play like Diego Costa at his best or Suarez. Sans their indiscipline.

We don't create enough for traditional goal scorers. So we should seek to add work horses who can score regularly.
Or we could seek to add creators with good finishing and/or finishers with some creativity? I feel that your last sentence would be our death.

dogwithabone

This is spot on, sell Lukaku and put him in a decent team creating chances and his goals will rack up again.

Your build up and creative play have been an issue since the days of Moyes and every time you try and buy a player to create more chances your manager at the time seems to always feck it up either by play him out of position or tactically wrong (Mata with Moyes, LvG and Mou or Di Maria with LvG) destroy his confidence and mess him around until he's so shit he has to go (Mhiki with Mou etc) or just buy over the hill players hoping to restore past glories (Falcao, Sanchez, Schweiny etc)

A shiny new striker looks great on paper, but actually for me, it's the team behind that's needs the shake up.
True that we need to put more chances on a plate for our forwards but you couldn’t trust any of ours to put away the half chances that Aguero and Kane do and that will be the difference at the top level.

The Rashford chance yesterday was a great example. Any player can make a mess of a chance like that but it’s indicative of our wayward and costly finishing. A city player would have controlled it, shifted out of his feet and curled it in.

Is Lukaku really a match winning top drawer striker ? Rashford has more to his game than goals but he’s a one in three at best and Martial is just too inconsistent to ever be relied upon for goals.

Mcking

More chances of similar impact to Lukaku.
I recognize the kind of striker Icardi is, I know we have more problems than a lack of Thierry Henry, and I also rate Lukaku. Obviously we would need to fix our creativity and tactical issues to an extent, but I think Icardi would be a top option to lead the line and provide some clutchness which I feel is lacking in the team.

soapythecat

A decent, in from forward could have scored a brace in the last few games - easily!
Our play may have been utter shite this last few weeks but we have missed sooooo many chances it doesn’t bear thinking about.
Rashford and Lukaku have been atrocious in front of goal.

Hard to think of anyone out there who is on RvPs level and not starting to think about retirement plans. Icardi is possibly the best one, and Jovic is finishing up his first really good season.

Icardi is worse than Lukaku in that aspect, he barely features in any build up. If we don't adress the creativity issue of the team, having Icardi is pointless. There is nothing to presume about our play, Icardi would be a good addition if many things are already functioning
Argentinians and United don't really work together that well anyway
He doesn't drop and pick the ball up but he has far better control and hold up play than Lukaku.

dogwithabone

Icardi and vardy. Add some balls at least so every opposing defence doesn't have its cosiest day of the season.

Icardi vardy rashford martial is a good front 4 options. Greenwood too.
The way Vardy plays means at 32 he’s already on borrowed time. Shame because he’s got a bit about it him and Old Trafford could have been a stage that wouldn’t have daunted him.

Maybe a short term Larsson type signing in a year or two when his contract expires.