Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
At fault for the second goal. He's stuck in the loop with the others now.

Disagree about him being bad at football. Has zero support in front of him every time he gets the ball. No one stretches the play.

Fosu-Mens

Have to give him time to develop before we make it a major issue. He is not Darmian, afraid of coming forward, gets into a lot of good positions but the quality is not there consistently. Neville started off that way, developed from a pure defensive full back into a very capable attacker late.
Problem is how he positions himself and his upper body relative to the ball. He is leaning over the ball. For him to become better at passing, crossing and controlling the ball he needs to fix this. Compare him to any other player that is capable on the ball and at passing and you will see that AWBs posture over the ball makes it difficult for him to control it.

Untd55

Disagree about him being bad at football. Has zero support in front of him every time he gets the ball. No one stretches the play.
How? I thought it was Young that gave away the freekick.

I agree that having a right-winger will help him a lot. He is far too isolated at the moment.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

Yeah, it's rubbish. Confirmation bias created from games like these. Totally disregarding how other players that are a lot more talented on the ball than him, struggle in the same circumstances. He is more than adequate for a fullback.

Skills

Snitch
Hope that manager and his coaching staff are more able to develop his attacking prowess than what he has currently.

I feel like we've been jaded in the past 6 years or so. Player development after players have made the first-team is a normal thing that we should expect. The past few coaching staffs have made it seem like weaknesses will never become strengths.
And the fans lap it up. I hope AWB is ready for the amount for the hate he's in for, when the next manager comes in.

liamp

And the fans lap it up. I hope AWB is ready for the amount for the hate he's in for, when the next manager comes in.
I don't think AWB's in for too much hate. He's too proficient (and flashy) defensively for that.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
How? I thought it was Young that gave away the freekick.

I agree that having a right-winger will help him a lot. He is far too isolated at the moment.
He did a silly pass back and gave the ball back to West Ham which caused the break and Young had to overextend himself.

Devil may care

Was covering RB and LB at one point, I was going to give him MOTM but I went with James as his task was thankless and he almost made something out of nothing. AWB was very good though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The only player along with dan James that could hold their head up high today.

Kept the dangerous Anderson quiet all match which is very difficult.

RooneyLegend

We really are reckless with money, 50 million quid for a full back that can't attack?

Treble

His delivery in the box was decent at times. He is not quite comfortable on the ball though which isn't only a problem in attack. Young player though, he might get more composed on the ball.

Alabaster Codify7

Love him but I thought he was poor today by his standards. His crossing was like he was channeling Prime Antonio Valencia (by prime, I mean RB Valencia not RW Valencia, the good one).

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Outstanding defensive fullback
Absolutely. Nobody is denying this.

However I'd rather have signed Periera or Doherty as they might be slightly weaker defensively but they are such a huge threat going forwards. We have two fullbacks now with zero end product added to a toothless midfield and attack. Creativity missing.

Treble

AWB is everything TAA isn't: both in positive and negative terms. TAA is not very good in 1 vs 1 situations and is dribbled past almost every game. But contributes in attack quite often.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Love him but I thought he was poor today by his standards. His crossing was like he was channeling Prime Antonio Valencia (by prime, I mean RB Valencia not RW Valencia, the good one).
Yeah that's what I thought too. Basically hard and low and hope for the best.

He seemed less composed today as well.

Onerealunited

He is good. It is one of the few positions where we are strong. He will be even better once we get a proper right wing in front of him

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
put the best in the world Right winger ahead of him and he can keep the side defensively solid.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Absolutely. Nobody is denying this.

However I'd rather have signed Periera or Doherty as they might be slightly weaker defensively but they are such a huge threat going forwards. We have two fullbacks now with zero end product added to a toothless midfield and attack. Creativity missing.
Build around him, he's going to be world class at what he does. I'd wager in a faster more cohesive team he'd provide a lot on the overlap. Currently he's our only right sided outlet.

I don't worry who we face on the left, this lad is better defensively than they are offensively.

Build a team around the quality we have. DeGea Maguire AWB Pogba Martial. Build around that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He looked awkward going forward, with nothing to suggest he was a former winger. Can't imagine he'd even make a Championship level as winger.

Great career choice.

Bwuk

It's inevitable tide will turn against him here.
Because those who go on about him being world class defensively miss the bigger picture.

I like AWB, but he needs to improve going forward. United should be dictating the game to the majority of sides, not the other way around.

All modern teams attack and have width provided by their full backs - our first choice two aren’t exactly productive.

I actually think he could do a job in midfield similar to Kante but that’s for another day!

Eddy_JukeZ

He's fantastic defensively.

Needs to get better going forward.

His passing is so erratic at times.

acnumber9

When our midfield and defence can attack we can start worrying about how good our right back is at it. I don’t think he needs to be great going forward to be effective so long as he can support the winger in front and help stretch our opponents. I actually think the low crosses were the right idea when he was in wide positions.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
When our midfield and defence can attack we can start worrying about how good our right back is at it. I don’t think he needs to be great going forward to be effective so long as he can support the winger in front and help stretch our opponents. I actually think the low crosses were the right idea when he was in wide positions.
Absolute nonsense. Valencia wasn't particularly poor defensively for us. His end product was the main issue for fans. AWB is just as poor in attack.

Great defender but a very limited footballer. We badly need to sign a top right winger.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is a phenomenal one on one defender.

Does need to contribute more in attack. Yesterday it stood out a bit to be honest.

Eric7C

Absolute nonsense. Valencia wasn't particularly poor defensively for us. His end product was the main issue for fans. AWB is just as poor in attack.

Great defender but a very limited footballer. We badly need to sign a top right winger.
What makes you say it exactly? The whole team is poor in interplay and attacking at the moment, how have you isolated his contribution? We lack a proper right winger altogether - one of the prerequisites to having a right back who can join the attack.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah I thought the low crossing was a good idea. He has to learn to whip in a cross. He's got pace, strength and a good touch so there' no reason for him not to contribute in attack.

Also, he's quick but doesn't seem to burst past defenders much?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah I thought the low crossing was a good idea. He has to learn to whip in a cross. He's got pace, strength and a good touch so there' no reason for him not to contribute in attack.

Didn't he put 2 very good crosses yesterday? Maybe wrong here but I remember him putting 2 good ones.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What makes you say it exactly? The whole team is poor in interplay and attacking at the moment, how have you isolated his contribution? We lack a proper right winger altogether - one of the prerequisites to having a right back who can join the attack.
He was poor for Palace in attack too. He's lightyears behind likes of Arnold in attack.

Defensively I don't think there's an issue. He's very solid. But if we don't buy a right winger and soon then he's going to go down as a flop because wrongly people are expecting things from him he's simply not capable of.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We are replicating the same thing with him as Valencia (the poor Valencia)

We are playing left and then reverse the game on the right to find him in one vs two

Ole is doing the same as Mourinho with Valencia, and Valencia was better at taking defenders

We shouldnt count on him for fixing our right wing issues

acnumber9

It’s absolute nonsense to think our attack should be able to attack before worrying about a right back? Ok.

Skills

Snitch

Valencia wasn't even poor in attack, just that he was asked to do far too much there. He was expected to be as productive as his days as a winger, but playing as a RB.

He was a good player who was dealt a shitty hand.

acnumber9

I thought he was doing it in the early games. Yesterday was his worst game for us and he was still better than most. I’m not sure he was fully fit.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think it's not fair to expect him to run the whole of the right wing on his own. We need to bring in someone before Sancho to help him out, or his confidence/body is just going to be shattered

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Before I worry about AWB's deficiencies going forward I'd like to see him in a team with an actual right winger/wide forward in front of him. Asking fulbacks to provide attacking threat in the modern game is right and proper, asking fullbacks or any other player for that matter to do two people's jobs because the club haven't bothered to adequately stock the squad is ridiculous and out of order. Scrutinising AWB's attributes is one thing but rejecting him outright as 'the wrong kind of fullback' based on his United career so far isn't for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.