Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRM

Usually clears up in a couple of days if you catch it early with antibiotics. Mason missed the game on the Sunday but was back for Rochdale on the Wed. AWB has been out a couple of weeks so far I think
Sometimes it hits you really bad, when I had it I got a fever too and I felt really weak for a few weeks.

Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool

Based Adnan

I was screaming for him to get out to Robertson before the pass was even played by Keita. No idea why he tucked in so much when we had so many bodies there. Thought he was good outside of that. He's pretty underrated in possession.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Shame he didn't close that down because he had a good game. It was probably bit of lack of understanding due the change in formation.

He's pretty underrated in posession.
Yep, very good in posession, great first touch and good movement.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
So many times Robertson was getting a lot of space.
For most of the match Robertson was complete dogshite and AWB was best full back in terms of performance across both sides and bossing it. Shame he didn’t switch on for that moment but truth be told not sure how that cross gets through all those bodies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
For most of the match Robertson was complete dogshite and AWB was best full back in terms of performance across both sides and bossing it. Shame he didn’t switch on for that moment but truth be told not sure how that cross gets through all those bodies.
Robertson was getting a lot of space not just once from the goal they scored. And also he’s a good crosser, he’s a player that we should never let him getting too much space & time when on the ball.

BlahRules

Everyone expected the other to deal with it that’s how and none takes charge.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
So many times Robertson was getting a lot of space.
That's intentional. Letting Robertson and TAA cross from far out was the gameplan. We put in 3 CBs so that we've have advantage in dealing with crosses and we did so comfortably the entire game up until the goal. You also can't close down the whole pitch.

How many times where Liverpool putting in dangerous balls? His cross went through the middle of the entire defense and ended with a far-post tap-in. It was poor to allow the ball to travel that far and it was poor to leave Lallana unmarked. I have no problems with Robertson putting in a cross, that's what he does every single match and of course he's going to do it

RooneyLegend

He does that way to often, not sure why he's so obsessed with coming in so narrow at times.

Nick7

Don’t think you can put the blame on him for the goal. The cross should never have reached Lallana. Would have been fine if we actually cleared it which is what should have happened

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's intentional. Letting Robertson and TAA cross from far out was the gameplan. We put in 3 CBs so that we've have advantage in dealing with crosses and we did so comfortably the entire game up until the goal. You also can't close down the whole pitch.

How many times where Liverpool putting in dangerous balls? His cross went through the middle of the entire defense and ended with a far-post tap-in. It was poor to allow the ball to travel that far and it was poor to leave Lallana unmarked. I have no problems with Robertson putting in a cross, that's what he does every single match and of course he's going to do it
Never let 2 full backs with 11 assists & 12 assists last season to be given so much space to cross the ball. What an absolutely awful gameplan and it’s BS. TAA was actually being closed down which gave him difficulty to deliver good cross. While Robertson wasn’t getting the same treatment, as a result the goal happened.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

We closed down TAA anytime he got into an advanced position. We let him cross from deep because they're easier to deal with, but as soon as he was further up the pitch he got closed down.

It is baffling that we didn't do the same for Robertson.

Walters_19_MuFc

I was screaming for him to get out to Robertson before the pass was even played by Keita. No idea why he tucked in so much when we had so many bodies there. Thought he was good outside of that. He's pretty underrated in possession.
That wasnt his job after around 65 mins. Ole changed to a midfield three, and it was the job of Pereira to go out to Robertson, with our wing backs going into a back five.

Pereira was knackered, hence why Ole put Williams on as soon as they scored. Should have made the sub earlier.

fps

What happened was Oxlade-Chamberlain came on and threatened the space outside the centre back while both centre backs were occupied. This meant AWB had to cover him, opening up the space for the full-back. It happened on both sides.

Utdstar01

That wasnt his job after around 65 mins. Ole changed to a midfield three, and it was the job of Pereira to go out to Robertson, with our wing backs going into a back five.

Pereira was knackered, hence why Ole put Williams on as soon as they scored. Should have made the sub earlier.
I agree. Both Wan Bissaka and Pereira were knackered. Feel like it was a managerial mistake in leaving the subs too late again especially with the amount of running all the players put in.

Snow

Never let 2 full backs with 11 assists & 12 assists last season to be given so much space to cross the ball. What an absolutely awful gameplan. TAA was actually being closed down which gave him difficulty to deliver good cross. While Robertson wasn’t getting the same treatment, as a result the goal happened.
It's irrelevant how many assists they had last season. They get assists because they attack fast against teams that are out of position and find a free man. Liverpool had no free man the entire match, the way we were set up defensively ensure that our back line was ready to deal with crosses. Of course you have the ability to concede a goal if you let a ground cross go through your entire defense to an unmarked man on the far. The cross wasn't special. It wasn't intended for Lallana. It was just glaring hope because Liverpool had no other gameplan going forward.

Ok, you want to hard press Robertson. Now what? What are you going to do about the space that he leaves behind himself and the CB? Have you seen how often teams like Liverpool and City get through on goal by exploiting that space. That's what they do every game. They did it exactly once this match and that was after we had a corner, Young was up high and Mané ran into the space left behind a team that had set up for a set piece in the other half.

Snow

We closed down TAA anytime he got into an advanced position. We let him cross from deep because they're easier to deal with, but as soon as he was further up the pitch he got closed down.

It is baffling that we didn't do the same for Robertson.
Henderson was out on the right for Liverpool. Mané was out on the left for the most part. As soon as Mané drifted to the right there was more space for TAA to operate. He just wasn't very good and put in poor crosses. So did Robertson, his cross just went through everyone instead of stopping on the first man.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

It’s both him & Pereira job. They both just need to communicate who’s watching who. It’s feckin football, communication is important on the pitch. Both Young & Fred very good against TAA. Don’t know why it’s the opposite on the other side.

Because of that, Ole decided to change the formation to 541 to make it easier who’s going to mark Robertson.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Henderson was out on the right for Liverpool. Mané was out on the left for the most part. As soon as Mané drifted to the right there was more space for TAA to operate. He just wasn't very good and put in poor crosses. So did Robertson, his cross just went through everyone instead of stopping on the first man.
Nah, the difference was James was working hard to get close too/close down TAA.

At no point in the game did TAA get the sort of space high up the pitch that Robertson had

Irwin99

Just back from illness, can't assess too much. Put a good shift in but I don't think he looked like his early season self.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's irrelevant how many assists they had last season. They get assists because they attack fast against teams that are out of position and find a free man. Liverpool had no free man the entire match, the way we were set up defensively ensure that our back line was ready to deal with crosses. Of course you have the ability to concede a goal if you let a ground cross go through your entire defense to an unmarked man on the far. The cross wasn't special. It wasn't intended for Lallana. It was just glaring hope because Liverpool had no other gameplan going forward.

Ok, you want to hard press Robertson. Now what? What are you going to do about the space that he leaves behind himself and the CB? Have you seen how often teams like Liverpool and City get through on goal by exploiting that space. That's what they do every game. They did it exactly once this match and that was after we had a corner, Young was up high and Mané ran into the space left behind a team that had set up for a set piece in the other half.
The point of me mentioning assists last season is showing that they both are good crosser. They can deliver good ball. Any player if given so much space to deliver even if it’s far out from penalty area can still deliver dangerous ball. TAA wasn’t getting a lot of space but Robertson is the opposite. The point of closing them down is not just blocking the cross or stopping the cross but to prevent them delivering good cross, we did it on TAA but not on Robertson which is why we conceded.

Walters_19_MuFc

It’s both him & Pereira job. They both just need to communicate who’s watching who. It’s feckin football, communication is important on the pitch. Both Young & Fred very good against TAA. Don’t know why it’s the opposite on the other side.

Because of that, Ole decided to change the formation to 541 to make it easier who’s going to mark Robertson.
Fred was getting over to TAA and allowed Young to drop and look after whoever was on the right.

Pereira failed to get out quick enough and Robertson was able to get a cross in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fred was getting over to TAA and allowed Young to drop and look after whoever was on the right.

Pereira failed to get out quick enough and Robertson was able to get a cross in.
Young was also involved in closing down TAA. They both talk on the pitch not playing like robot. Completely different to Pereira & Bissaka who don’t know where their players are. I barely see Young drift inside like a centre back.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Had a really good game, definitely should have got out to Robertson quicker than he did but I felt it could also have been dealt with better by the other defenders too.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He does that way to often, not sure why he's so obsessed with coming in so narrow at times.
He did it against Chelsea in the first game of the season and knew it would be a problem for him from then on.

He's a very good tackler but positionally he's terrible. Could it be that he's so good at tackling because he often has to make them by being out of position?

AneRu

Young was also involved in closing down TAA. They both talk on the pitch not playing like robot. Completely different to Pereira & Bissaka who don’t know where their players are. I barely see Young drift inside like a centre back.
This is his weakness, why drift inside where there are three CBs and leave a dangerous FB unmarked? It's a coaching thing, if we do any bit of video analysis then it's got to be picked up and cut out of his game.

The_Midfielder

Nah, the difference was James was working hard to get close too/close down TAA.

At no point in the game did TAA get the sort of space high up the pitch that Robertson had
This..
we should have maybe put Martial for Perreira and put Rashford on the right ..

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Two small critiscms about Lallana's goal...

Am I being harsh thinking AWB shouldn't have turned his back on Robertson's cross? It was a pretty shit cross that could have been blocked if he hadn't jumped and turned his back.

Also why were we leaving their wide men in so much space? Not really a criticism of AWB specifically, as it happened so often it must have been instruction, but I don't get why AWB or Pereira didn't go wide, where Robertson and TAA were often in loads of space. We had plenty of men back in central positions - Surely it's worth focusing on stopping the cross at that point. Especially when we're that deep and they're in dangerous crossing positions.

criticalanalysis

Am I being harsh thinking AWB shouldn't have turned his back on Robertson's cross? It was a pretty shit cross that could have been blocked if he hadn't jumped and turned his back.

Also why were we leaving their wide men in so much space? Not really a criticism of AWB specifically, as it happened so often it must have been instruction, but I don't get why AWB or Pereira didn't go wide, where Robertson and TAA were often in loads of space. We had plenty of men back in central positions - Surely it's worth focusing on stopping the cross at that point. Especially when we're that deep and they're in dangerous crossing positions.

You might have a point about AWB turning his back but I would say his positioning was okay/good right up to the pass to Robertson out wide.

Generally speaking, when defending you want the ball to be in front of you, to be goal side of the attacker and to defend the middle i.e you're forcing them to go wide.

He stayed compact and in the middle because he was protecting the pass to the edge of the box to Chamberlain (?) where it was much more dangerous.

I would say it was mostly Perreira's fault as he should have been sprinting to close down Robertson there but he was clearly knackered sigh.

Charlie Foley

This is some good constructive criticism that adds to the thread. Markedly difference to some of the bitching on here. Good and interesting post

Charlie Foley

You might have a point about AWB turning his back but I would say his positioning was okay/good right up to the pass to Robertson out wide.

Generally speaking, when defending you want the ball to be in front of you, to be goal side of the attacker and to defend the middle i.e you're forcing them to go wide.

He stayed compact and in the middle because he was protecting the pass to the edge of the box to Chamberlain (?) where it was much more dangerous.

I would say it was mostly Perreira's fault as he should have been sprinting to close down Robertson there but he was clearly knackered sigh.
This too

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

Fair comments. Easy to criticise positioning from an armchair. Difficult to stay tight 85 minutes in.

Zoo

I think he’s excellent overall and can cross the ball as he showed in the first half.

TAA on the other looked lost for the most part and you can see why Southgate is not fully trusting of him as defensively he can get exposed.

starman

He was decent at WB, but if we play 3 at the back going forward though, I do think he should be playing at RCB

With the current bunch of players we have 3-4-3 is my preference, with Dalot as RWB when he returns

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I blame the team as a whole for the goal, we sat deeper and narrower as the second half wore on. The lack of impetus to get a second goal in almost every match this year is horrible to see, and when it leads to us being pinned back in our half waiting to concede it's clear we need to work on keeping our hostile shape and intensity up for longer than 45 minutes. I thought AWB was great at closing Robertson out of the first half so I won't think too badly of him when the entire team were under pressure second half.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm not sure AVB is the right player as a wing-back. Undoubted ability as a defender. However, he's not very attack-minded and lacks finesse and ability going forward. I would think Dalot would be more suited when played as a wingback.

A-man

Watched the goal again and you have some good points. The goal really seems unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.