Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

I thought he actually did alright going forward today certainly more comfortable than Valencia although that is a low benchmark admittedly.

I don't think we need him to be racking up the assists as long as he's involved in the build up and can be an option to pass wide and spread the play.
Didnt see the game, but never agreed with the "he is rubbish going forward" stuff I have read with people doubting signing him. He can certainly improve a lot going forward but he has all the potential there attacking wise I feel and 18months in defensively he is far beyong having potential

Coops73

I could be wrong but they didn’t get past him once? He even got forward quite a bit, fingers crossed for him.

pearl1337

Imo his long legs and technique of tackling reminds me a lot of De Ligt. Just uses his height and strengt to stop the ball or the player. So clean. I think he would be perfect alongside De Ligt! But I think him and Smalling will do good alongside each other

Sparky Rhiwabon

He is miles better than Dalot defensively that it is not even funny. Even going forward AWB looks bright and comfortable on the ball. I don't know how Dalot is going into the team other than the right wing
We've had versatile players in the past who have never quite made a particular position their own but still made a lot of appearances and had a very good career with us - the likes of O'Shea and Phil Neville. If Dalot can emulate those two he'll be fine by me.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He didn't go up frequently like Dalot. May be a transition thing. He crossed just once and had some nice touches in front of the box.

Think we will see a different type of forward play from him. Not exactly a crossing machine but some nice one touch passing and releasing the forwards inside the box.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He didn't go up frequently like Dalot. May be a transition thing. He crossed just once and had some nice touches in front of the box.

Think we will see a different type of forward play from him. Not exactly a crossing machine but some nice one touch passing and releasing the forwards inside the box.

After years of watching Valencia and Young's crosses, i would kill for that.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Such a clean tackler. It really is an art and he’s an artist

M4YON

Been a while since I've been immediately impressed by a defensive player, his tackling and positioning was fantastic, can see why he has his nickname.

Reserved about his forward play for now, he looked a little uncomfortable sitting so high but I imagine he'll adjust.

Crossing ability is pointless, Young whips in quality crosses all the time, nobody is ever on the end of them.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Been a while since I've been immediately impressed by a defensive player, his tackling and positioning was fantastic, can see why he has his nickname.

Reserved about his forward play for now, he looked a little uncomfortable sitting so high but I imagine he'll adjust.

Crossing ability is pointless, Young whips in quality crosses all the time, nobody is ever on the end of them.
Dan James put 2 in dangerous positions too - nobody to be seen.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Cant remember feeling this safe with a RB since Wes Brown during the 07/08 season.

Yeah, one game so far, against Perth Glory but you can see how talented he his. Will take a lot to beat him 1 v 1.

Walters_19_MuFc

Why are people saying its only Perth when he's done it against most teams in the EPL?

Anyway, based on his performance today, because he can only perform against what's in front of him, he hardly put a foot wrong. Defensively solid, and not something I worry about with Bissaka.

Going forward, he got into good positions and linked well with Pogba and Greenwood.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s simple. He’s eliminated the left side of any team we play against. They now only have a chance against Shaw. Who also is pretty solid at defence when he’s up for it.

This force teams to go central against us making defending a lot easier

M4YON

Dan James put 2 in dangerous positions too - nobody to be seen.
I noticed that as well, crosses in general seems to be something Olè isn't particularly bothered with, hence our dire corners too.

It's a shame considering we have tall enough players to cause problems from corners and quick enough players to beat defenders to those cleverly whipped in crosses.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Let's be happy. If that's his level or if he can improve on that then great but let's wait and see how good he can become.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I said in some other thread that taking everything into account:age (21), coming off a great season, rising prices of full-backs, being English and a prospect, I think the fee doesn't look ridiculous as some suggested. I mean, look at some prices thrown about now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Very impressive I thought. Promising of things to come. Linked well going forward which was good to see.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I said in some other thread that taking everything into account:age (21), coming off a great season, rising prices of full-backs, being English and a prospect, I think the fee doesn't look ridiculous as some suggested. I mean, look at some prices thrown about now.
He's a great buy. I'm thrilled we got him as he was #1 on my wishlist this summer.

DoomSlayer

He's a great buy. I'm thrilled we got him as he was #1 on my wishlist this summer.
I agree, £45 million + £5 million in add-ons is a great price for a talent like AWB.

He isn't even the finished article yet, I can see him improving his attacking game massively and owning our right flank for the foreseeable future.

Redtings

I agree, £45 million + £5 million in add-ons is a great price for a talent like AWB.

He isn't even the finished article yet, I can see him improving his attacking game massively and owning our right flank for the foreseeable future.
I agree his price could be seen as a bargain, especially in the future.

As far as improving his attacking game, I'm not sure sure. He could get better, but I have a sneaky feeling he would soon frustrate us in the attacking third of the pitch. Defensively, AWB is a monster. I see him having excellent games against the bigger teams. For teams that sit back however, I would lean more towards Dalot.

dasty

We really, really, really don't need him to be attacking all the time. If he is impossible to get past then our right winger would not need to track back as often, and has less defensive responsibilities. When that happens, our right winger will be a lot more threatening. It's not as if AWB doesn't have the pace to go forward and then get back into position, he is rapid. As long as he can provide the winger with a passing outlet and whip in an occasional cross he is good enough.

Football is a team game, and each player contributes differently to how the overall team works. Just because AWB isn't an Alves doesn't mean he is not gonna be of any use going forward.

lysglimt

Scout
We really, really, really don't need him to be attacking all the time. If he is impossible to get past then our right winger would not need to track back as often, and has less defensive responsibilities. When that happens, our right winger will be a lot more threatening. It's not as if AWB doesn't have the pace to go forward and then get back into position, he is rapid. As long as he can provide the winger with a passing outlet and whip in an occasional cross he is good enough.

Football is a team game, and each player contributes differently to how the overall team works. Just because AWB isn't an Alves doesn't mean he is not gonna be of any use going forward.
On attacking corners...we can leave him alone with their attack and send Smalling and hopefully Maguire forward :)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

:lol:

Holters

I noticed that as well, crosses in general seems to be something Olè isn't particularly bothered with, hence our dire corners too.

It's a shame considering we have tall enough players to cause problems from corners and quick enough players to beat defenders to those cleverly whipped in crosses.
Our crossing has been rubbish for years! Not like Ole can fix it after a week of preseason with the same players that have been delivering week crosses and set pieces for years.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Same here, followed by DeLigt and Dan James. 3 out of 3 so I’m delighted
3 out of 3 ?

It’s simple. He’s eliminated the left side of any team we play against. They now only have a chance against Shaw. Who also is pretty solid at defence when he’s up for it.

This force teams to go central against us making defending a lot easier
That's a bit too premature to say no ? I know we love to praise our players but let's just be a little more patient

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
3 out of 3 ?

That's a bit too premature to say no ? I know we love to praise our players but let's just be a little more patient
I think after what happened with Bailly, we need to be more cautious but I like what I see from AWB - always have done - he's a well-rounded footballer and very intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.