Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bournemouth 1:0 Man Utd

Bwuk

Offers nothing going forward and for me it’s a big concern. He’s too limited in the modern game where attacks come from the full backs.

marktan

It's a weird one with him because you look at someone like Ashley Cole who was defensively very solid but was also good in attack, someone like Evra who was very good in attack and less good in defensive (but still good), then you have Wan Bissaka who is very very strong in defensive but very poor in attack.

The defensive part helps us so he's not a bad player, but in the modern game I'm not sure if he's doing us a favour as all the top teams need attacking fullbacks to stretch play and create chances. It could grow to be a real problem for us as we're already starved of creative impetus as it is and Luke Shaw being a perineal absentee doesn't help us either.

Mcking

He is so uncomfortable on the ball that he plays and positions himself like a center half, and his passing is complete rubbish. Imagine going out in 2019 and paying £50m for a fullback that can't play football. An absolute mess.

Teja

Poor game by his standards but he's given us plenty to prove he's got more coming. So won't complain too much.

Ace of Spades

Needs to be much better than this. He is solid defensively, but non existent in attack.

Also, poor defending for the goal.

Walters_19_MuFc

Was a fault for the goal today, but one of his very few mistakes this season.

Not sure why he was in that position, though. Where were Maguire and Lindelof?

E-mal

He is not good in attack, his technique is not up to scratch. Given that his redeeming quality is in defence, he was poor for that goal.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Why can't he be coached to attack

Andersons Dietician

Rush of blood for the goal. Just needed to stay strong and not try to get that ball. It made up Kings mind and then he was turned.

Attacking wise I don’t really think he is helped by James and McT because neither are all that great and they just repeat the same triangle of me, to you, to you, to me. Then eventually one gets bored and just hits it forward with no thought. No doubt he’s not greta going forward and he needs to improve but that whole 3 on that side need to improve working chances, making decisions and improve the speed at what they do these things at.

Untd55

I think he can be more effective in attack, but our structure and playstyle make it impossible for us to make use of his pace.

He does need to improve in attacking play, but the above does not help at all.

There are no overlaps between our wingers and wing-backs. Also, there is nobody to cross into the box for anyway.

Chicharito_

I think he is the worst attacking full back we've had since I can remember but defensively he is normally rock solid so I'm torn on him. I think in modern football the attacking full backs are the ones you want now and he just doesn't have it in the slightest which is a big concern.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Reading the comments throughout this thread just shows how clueless our fans have become.

If you think Wan Bissaka has been top class so far this season then you don't understand football. He's defended well (up till today) but with the ball he's been a total passenger. Can't see him getting any assists or goals like other fullbacks do for other clubs. Rather have a slightly worse fullback at defending who actually creates stuff too like Doherty for example or Pereira.

Just being good defensively isn't enough at a big club. I know a lot of his fan boys don't like to hear it or see it but it's true.

AFC NimbleThumb

Having signed Dalot for £20mil last season is he worth the investment?

Love his tackling stats but was he what we need?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bad for the goal but we already know he's very strong defensively so it's hardly a worry. Players make mistakes sometimes.

It's what he lacks in attack that should be a concern. He's a fullback and fullbacks should be expected to offer more than he does in that regard.

Kurton

He was already heralded as a success just based on 4 or 5 games. Absolutely useless attacking wise, might as well play Young against low block teams. Only useful against teams who will attack with his defensive skills which is like 10 out of 38 games. Hope its not another waste of money.

Superunknown

You tend to find these days that the full backs at the top level and at top clubs also offer an attacking threat, as well as being able to do their job defensively. I like Wan-Bissaka, but I worry that he's too limited. In an age where you have full backs who bomb up and down the pitch, or who can play very high up the field, it does feel like we're missing something by not having this.

Aouer-United

AWB is capable of doing much more, he can overlap and attack far post but we're not playing to his strength which limited his attacking power, we hardly make crossfield for him to stretch the defence. We need Pogba back

When you got Mctominay and Andreas who misplaced a lot of passes that would lead to counter-attack so he's better off deeper.

AFC NimbleThumb

Yes. Dalot isnt even playing because he isnt good enough. AWB is one of the best right backs in the league.
This was my thinking but his attacking play is so far behind his defence AWB in himself is still somewhat of a project.

AWB is better than Dalot, yes but Dalot showed flashes last month only to be displaced by another young fullback.

£50mil on an RB in a summer we overspent on a CB just doesn’t feel like good business to me.

Vargo Hoat

Supports
Union Berlin
As a guy looking at Manchester Uniteds games without any investment other than that I enjoy watching football, Wan-Bissaka strikes me as a typical "youtube highlights player".

His positioning in defence is abysmal at times, and he only makes up for it with last minute tackles that is easy for casual fans to "spot". His pace and tackling ability makes him look far better than he is, in my opinion. Same for the goal today, caught off guard waaaay too far away from King, and tries to make up for it with a desperate lunge for the ball only to fail.

To be fair to him though - when he actually positions himself correctly he looks a nightmare to try to get past 1v1.

Fosu-Mens

Was a fault for the goal today, but one of his very few mistakes this season.

Not sure why he was in that position, though. Where were Maguire and Lindelof?
Maguire man marked Wilson and forced Lindelof and AWB to move completely out of position. Maguire or whoever decided that Maguire should man-mark a player should also take some blame. No point in man-marking with 6/7 united players in the box.

Walters_19_MuFc

Maguire man marked Wilson and forced Lindelof and AWB to move completely out of position. Maguire or whoever decided that Maguire should man-mark a player should also take some blame. No point in man-marking with 6/7 united players in the box.
I remember Rio talking about taking responsibility in the box and sniffing danger in a game that we lost or drew. I feel thats what Maguire or Lindelof should have done.

No way should AWB have allowed King to do what he did, but it would have been nice to see someone covering.

ottosec

He's been really poor today and his defending for their goal was laughably bad, but he was solid for most of the season, so I suppose he deserves more leeway than others.

AP88

Supports
Man City
It’s crazy that with Laird and Williams on the horizon, and Dalot already potentially adequate, somebody sanctioned the signing of this fella for £50m.

Alexander-Arnold and Reece James are going to prevent any kind of England career as well, so his resale value is going to plummet too.

He simply does what Darmian and Valencia were slated for over the past 3/4 years. Solid isn’t sufficient anymore for a fullback, especially in the absence of creativity in midfield.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Come on guys. This was his first poor performance for us, imo. I don't agree with the sentiment that he is worse on the ball than other top teams fullbacks. He looks clumsy on it sometimes due to his height and long legs, but he quite clearly is capable of quick passing play. Against Bournemouth he did alright in the build up in the first half, but in the second half Howe doubled their left side press and Lindelof didn't adjust to that, he still kept playing Bissaka in difficult positions. I'm not sure I would expect any RB to be able to playmake his ass out of trouble repeatedly through out a whole game.

At least Bissaka tries to not hoof it. He should be overlapping more , but very often you'll see him as an extra defender covering Lindelof if we lose possession. I'm not sure this is deliberate because we lack a DM, or if it is a way of babysitting Lindelof but he sure kept wide at Crystal Palace.

pascell

It’s crazy that with Laird and Williams on the horizon, and Dalot already potentially adequate, somebody sanctioned the signing of this fella for £50m.

Alexander-Arnold and Reece James are going to prevent any kind of England career as well, so his resale value is going to plummet too.

He simply does what Darmian and Valencia were slated for over the past 3/4 years. Solid isn’t sufficient anymore for a fullback, especially in the absence of creativity in midfield.
What has playing for England got to do with playing for United? If he doesn't play for England, brilliant, means he's fresher for United.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Both him & Lindelof were ball watching for the goal. Bissaka is great in one on one situation & intercepting the ball. But when in term of aware where his mean was or following his man, he’s very bad.

el3mel

His defending for the goal was bad but why should you have your RB inside your box defending in such position while it should be the role of your CB, particularly Lindelof ?

My biggest gripe with him has always been his offensive side while I think a season from now we'll start getting more and more annoyed by it.

Irwin99

His defending for the goal was bad but why should you have your RB inside your box defending in such position while it should be the role of your CB, particularly Lindelof ?

My biggest gripe with him has always been his offensive side while I think a season from now we'll start getting more and more annoyed by it.
I get the impression we'll be having the same argument that's been had about Shaw...that he might be better as a centre back, especially in a back 5 :nervous:

He's still very young, he can still improve on the attacking side of his game hopefully.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I was very surprised we paid the amount we did for him. We should have gone for Max Aarons. Now I’m just looking forward to Laird/Dalot are ready.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Both him & Lindelof were ball watching for the goal. Bissaka is great in one on one situation & intercepting the ball. But when in term of aware where his mean was or following his man, he’s very bad.
He actually covered the space. If he didn't step in to cover as a CB, he wouldn't even be blamed if he kept his position and the blame would be on Lindelof for well, being Lindelof and not marking the guy he should be marking.

I've seen Rio going for a ball he couldn't reach and get turned, it happens. I hope I never see a CB playing for United just standing there watching a strong striker against a fullback covering his ass, and not immediately rush to help out. Ffs what was that reaction? Unforgivable.

Charles Miller

I think defensive full backs should not be a thing, should not exist. But since they do exist, at least should be cheaper. If a coach ask a big club to sign a defensive fb, he should be immediately fired from the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.