Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

Port defending for the goal but what was a full back doing marking their striker in the middle of the goal anyway?

RUCK4444

Laughable defending on the goal

Wall indeed...

He’s a useless player if he fails to defend properly
A central defender should be making that challenge, he’s tried to step in and add cover for them which he usually does well.

Should have done better but If he’s not there the goal scorer is totally unchallenged (which is the bigger issue)

A-man

Was a fault for the goal today, but one of his very few mistakes this season.

Not sure why he was in that position, though. Where were Maguire and Lindelof?
Lindelof and Maguire has changed positions, and then when the winger ran in to the centre Maguire for some reason chose to follow his man and AWB had no choice but to take Maguire’s position.

Raven

Insanely poor for the goal, really weak in attack as well, he has the pace and power to breeze past players but refuses to do so.

The Original

As a guy looking at Manchester Uniteds games without any investment other than that I enjoy watching football, Wan-Bissaka strikes me as a typical "youtube highlights player".

His positioning in defence is abysmal at times, and he only makes up for it with last minute tackles that is easy for casual fans to "spot". His pace and tackling ability makes him look far better than he is, in my opinion. Same for the goal today, caught off guard waaaay too far away from King, and tries to make up for it with a desperate lunge for the ball only to fail.

To be fair to him though - when he actually positions himself correctly he looks a nightmare to try to get past 1v1.
Nothing is wrong with his positioning. He deliberately channels the attacker into a position where he knows he will beat them. And he always wins his tackles so don't know what your point is. Whatever you want to criticize him for, it's not going to be his general defensive nous.

Nor was he caught off guard by King. He was well-placed between King and the post as a defender should be, but then misjudged his ability to nick the ball before King could control it. That was his only error in that situation.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He actually covered the space. If he didn't step in to cover as a CB, he wouldn't even be blamed if he kept his position and the blame would be on Lindelof for well, being Lindelof and not marking the guy he should be marking.

I've seen Rio going for a ball he couldn't reach and get turned, it happens. I hope I never see a CB playing for United just standing there watching a strong striker against a fullback covering his ass, and not immediately rush to help out. Ffs what was that reaction? Unforgivable.
That's not what I was referring to. Right before the goal, Fraser moved away from Bissaka and able to pass the ball right before the cross made for the goal. Bissaka should have followed Fraser in the first place, he was Bissaka's man. Bissaka is great with his intercepting the ball before the receiver received the ball, I think he could also intercept the pass that went to Fraser if he followed his man.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Wan bissaka doesn't have to attack on the wings like Liverpool fullbacks do.

We just need a coach to get Wan Bissaka to play like City Fullbacks do - who play inverted and move to DM to play more centrally.

Why people are so quick to cut this guy off because he isn't superman on the RB when our City rivals play fullbacks in a way that would really suit Wan Bissaka is confusing.

Devil may care

He's had a good start to his United career but I can't help feel he'd be best if he was the RCB in a 3-5-2 system, as opposed to a pure rB.

Walters_19_MuFc

Lindelof and Maguire has changed positions, and then when the winger ran in to the centre Maguire for some reason chose to follow his man and AWB had no choice but to take Maguire’s position.
Fair enough. AWB should have done a lot better. Not one of his better moments in a United shirt.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That's not what I was referring to. Right before the goal, Fraser moved away from Bissaka and able to pass the ball right before the cross made for the goal. Bissaka should have followed Fraser in the first place, he was Bissaka's man. Bissaka is great with his intercepting the ball before the receiver received the ball, I think he could also intercept the pass that went to Fraser if he followed his man.
I see. Yes, he does stuff like that from time to time, but he is still young with a chance to improve especially on those things. He didn't have a good game at all.

A-man

Fair enough. AWB should have done a lot better. Not one of his better moments in a United shirt.
He should have, but he has been so good defensively this season that I think it is just to move in. We must accept that he also has some poor moments or even poor matches.

Walters_19_MuFc

He should have, but he has been so good defensively this season that I think it is just to move in. We must accept that he also has some poor moments or even poor matches.
Exactly. Think because he's so strong defensively, people almost expect him not to make any mistakes, but he's still only 21.

lex talionis

Wan-Bissaka deserves some of the blame on the goal, no question, but he should have gotten help from Lindelof who was there but insanely abandoned his fellow defender in pursuit of the layoff pass.

kundalini

Probably been our best performer until today but that was a horror show, especially first half. Never seemed comfortable in the conditions. The goal was mostly, though not all, his fault.

Needs to improve his throw-ins because right now he is just gifting the opposition possession several times a match.

Vargo Hoat

Supports
Union Berlin
Nothing is wrong with his positioning. He deliberately channels the attacker into a position where he knows he will beat them. And he always wins his tackles so don't know what your point is. Whatever you want to criticize him for, it's not going to be his general defensive nous.

Nor was he caught off guard by King. He was well-placed between King and the post as a defender should be, but then misjudged his ability to nick the ball before King could control it. That was his only error in that situation.
"Channeling attackers into a position where he knows he will beat them." Recipe for disaster, and not something any coach in the world would encourage, I hope. It's all about positioning and cutting off attacks.

He absolutely has to be closer to King on the goal. As he is the one who ends up having to go for the challenge, he should get his body in between King and the goal, not try to steal the ball. The closer you are to your own goal, the tighter you have to defend.

Revan

Assumptionman
Am I the only one who has yet to be convinced by him? Sure, the goal was his error, but shit happens, better defenders than him have been looked like fools occasionally. What I don't like at him is that in attack he is essentially as good as Darmian, so not good at all, and considering that we have in the other wing another fullback without attacking attributes, good luck on being successful with 2 full-backs who cannot attack.

He is ok, but spending 55m in him was ludicrous. You should expect a total package with that amount of money.

The Original

Am I the only one who has yet to be convinced by him? Sure, the goal was his error, but shit happens, better defenders than him have been looked like fools occasionally. What I don't like at him is that in attack he is essentially as good as Darmian, so not good at all, and considering that we have in the other wing another fullback without attacking attributes, good luck on being successful with 2 full-backs who cannot attack.

He is ok, but spending 55m in him was ludicrous. You should expect a total package with that amount of money.

AWB brings something to the attack that a lot of fans seem not to pick out but if he plays with a more gifted attacker it will become clear as daylight. It's simply this: he hardly loses the ball nor does he mindlessly pass backwards. When in the final third he will generally look to play tidy passes that move defenders around and create space for the attacker. With a gifted winger this will prove to be invaluable plus he is so defensively solid that it allows room for an all-out attacker who will have no defensive duties. I think his brand of fullback play is perfectly valid.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Davie Moyes

AWB brings something to the attack that a lot of fans seem not to pick out but if he plays with a more gifted attacker it will become clear as daylight. It's simply this: he hardly loses the ball nor does he mindlessly pass backwards. When in the final third he will generally look to play tidy passes that move defenders around and create space for the attacker. With a gifted winger this will prove to be invaluable plus he is so defensively solid that it allows room for an all-out attacker who will have no defensive duties. I think his brand of fullback play is perfectly valid.
Good post. Every body is expecting him to be the next Cafu and sort out our whole right flank by himself. He's been absolutely fantastic so far with an off day yesterday. He should not have tried to nick the ball ahead of King but instead try blocking the shot.

As you said he he does hold on to possession quite well and if we had some decent attackers doing their jobs well he would be criticised less.

Litch

No doubt for me, the goal was on him. No point talking about where another player should have been as that's every single situation in the game, and it's how you respond. There are times when someone's beaten to the header but that doesn't mean the GK shouldn't save it. He's a good prospect but I remind myself he's only played in that position for pretty much one season. He was asked to do something different yesterday in that position and his inexperience, he ended up trying to make a tackle rather than reacting to the forwards decision.

He's a work in progress and I like my defenders to do exactly that. I know the modern game you need to be good going forward but the teams too disjointed at mo to see people do anything than the comfort of what they know....

Mcking

At least Shaw is comfortable receiving the ball and passing in the build-up. He is good at linking with the forwards and occassionally carries the ball. What he doesn't have is the instincts and delivery in the final third. Wan-Bissaka on the other hand is genuinely awful except when the other team has the ball. He is so poor in possession that the ball goes into touch or to the opposition almost everytime he gets near the ball. He is so uncomfortable on the ball that he positions himself like a centrehalf in the build-up. He usually looks completely clueless in the final third too. His limitation as a fullback is unacceptable imo, and I don't see him changing anytime soon. I'd be suprised if he's everyone's favourite player at the end of next season.

Litch

Spot on.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
At least Shaw is comfortable receiving the ball and passing in the build-up. He is good at linking with the forwards and occassionally carries the ball. What he doesn't have is the instincts and delivery in the final third. Wan-Bissaka on the other hand is genuinely awful except when the other team has the ball. He is so poor in possession that the ball goes into touch or to the opposition almost everytime he gets near the ball. He is so uncomfortable on the ball that he positions himself like a centrehalf in the build-up. He usually looks completely clueless in the final third too. His limitation as a fullback is unacceptable imo, and I don't see him changing anytime soon. I'd be suprised if he's everyone's favourite player at the end of next season.
Clueless.

He has one of the better touches in the team.

Wan-Bissaka deserves some of the blame on the goal, no question, but he should have gotten help from Lindelof who was there but insanely abandoned his fellow defender in pursuit of the layoff pass.
You really don't need to blame anyone else, it was schoolboy defending and part of what makes AWB a cracking ball winner in the RB position, he always wants to take the ball. He'll quickly learn though, that there are occasions when you simply cannot take the risk, and 6 yards out in the middle of your goal is one of those occasions.

Stadjer

Fully agree. He just isnt the type to run forward, hug the line and cross the ball. He combines with midfielders and attackers and provides space by making off the the ball runs.

I think he is fine going forward. A good midfielder and a good right sided attacker will make him look even better. All this "he is bad going forward" just isnt true.

Revan

Assumptionman
I hope you're right, but I just don't see it. I think he is right there with Darmian as totally useless when it comes to attacking.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Fully agree. He just isnt the type to run forward, hug the line and cross the ball. He combines with midfielders and attackers and provides space by making off the the ball runs.

I think he is fine going forward. A good midfielder and a good right sided attacker will make him look even better. All this "he is bad going forward" just isnt true.
James is (almost) as good as winger you can get in the League. Or do you need a 150m winger (Sancho) in order to make AWB looks good?

As said it before, having a good winger in front of AWB would make AWB looks good, but it will make the winger and our attacking play less efficient. All the best wingers have attacking fullback behind him to get the most out of this winger. All of them.
Unless United again will have this revolutionary tactic which none of the good team have ever used.

Last edited:

Stadjer

James is (almost) as good as winger you can get in the League. Or do you need a 150m winger (Sancho) in order to make AWB looks good?
James is quick and really good on the counter. Calling him one of the best in the league is a bit over the top though.

With space and running after a ball James is good but with the ball at his feet or combining with other players he can still learn some.

AWB also already looks good. Against Liverpool he, Pereira and James (?) where combining pretty well on that right side. With better players AWB could do that more often and better.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
James is quick and really good on the counter. Calling him one of the best in the league is a bit over the top though.

With space and running after a ball James is good but with the ball at his feet or combining with other players he can still learn some.

AWB also already looks good. Against Liverpool he, Pereira and James (?) where combining pretty well on that right side. With better players AWB could do that more often and better.
I can't count in one hand better right wingers than James. Who do you think are better?

arthurka

This thread is somehow like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde's diary. Because he made a mistake for the goal he isn't good enough? Ok let's look at this, he was left in a space where our fierce Swedish defender should have been occupying he just left it for some reason. Of course he should have done better he should have stood goal side but again how KING had this time to chest the ball down and have a free shot on goal is down to our defence our lack of it. Lindelöf and Maguire had a shocker yesterday and not only one time it was the whole game. Not a good game from him but he didn't turn shit all of a sudden because of it.

Stadjer

I can't count in one hand better right wingers than James. Who do you think are better?
I dont think James is a bad player but i dont think he stands out when compared to other right wingers. Mane and Bernardo Silva are clearly better and are top players but do Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham and Everton have players who are clearly worse than James? Would you be calling James one of the best if he didnt play for United?

When you ask a non United supporter i dont think James will be mentioned as one of the best. In my opinion James is a good premier league player who could become better but he is not a special talent like Sancho for example.

A player who is also very good on the ball instead of someone who is mosty very good when running after a ball would fit much better with AWB i think.

Dinghy

Reading the comments throughout this thread just shows how clueless our fans have become.

If you think Wan Bissaka has been top class so far this season then you don't understand football. He's defended well (up till today) but with the ball he's been a total passenger. Can't see him getting any assists or goals like other fullbacks do for other clubs. Rather have a slightly worse fullback at defending who actually creates stuff too like Doherty for example or Pereira.

Just being good defensively isn't enough at a big club. I know a lot of his fan boys don't like to hear it or see it but it's true.
This. We need to bring a lot more creativity into this side if we are going to keep on playing him as he's absolutely useless with the ball at his feet. His passing is awful, and his clumsy and unpredictable technique just makes it difficult to build any decent attacks down the right. For all the shit that Valencia has gotten over the last years, he was a much more complete FB than Wan Bissaka.

Ban

This is a typical cafe thread. One mistake and suddenly he's not good enough. Not to mention that already famous fan boys are being mentioned.
Should he be better offensively? Sure. But I think his lack of offensive play has been exaggerated and in a slightly better and more jointed system he'd look a lot better imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.