Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Am I the only one who has yet to be convinced by him? Sure, the goal was his error, but shit happens, better defenders than him have been looked like fools occasionally. What I don't like at him is that in attack he is essentially as good as Darmian, so not good at all, and considering that we have in the other wing another fullback without attacking attributes, good luck on being successful with 2 full-backs who cannot attack.

He is ok, but spending 55m in him was ludicrous. You should expect a total package with that amount of money.
I'm surprised Ole didn't give him a go at RCB when he went for the back three recently.

That would be his perfect position in my opinion.

I'm surprised Ole didn't give him a go at RCB when he went for the back three recently.

That would be his perfect position in my opinion.
He quite clearly showed yesterday that your opinion is garbage though.

He's superb out in wide positions, the best defensive full back in the league I'd say. In central positions... still a hell of a lot to learn.

BlueHaze

This is a typical cafe thread. One mistake and suddenly he's not good enough. Not to mention that already famous fan boys are being mentioned.
Should he be better offensively? Sure. But I think his lack of offensive play has been exaggerated and in a slightly better and more jointed system he'd look a lot better imo.
I agree. He's still young and he has plenty more mistakes in him but to me it's clear he's very talented especially at the defending bit. He needs more time to develop and it sure as feck doesn't help him we're so horribly shit atm.

The Original

This. We need to bring a lot more creativity into this side if we are going to keep on playing him as he's absolutely useless with the ball at his feet. His passing is awful, and his clumsy and unpredictable technique just makes it difficult to build any decent attacks down the right. For all the shit that Valencia has gotten over the last years, he was a much more complete FB than Wan Bissaka.
Simply not true. His pass is just fine. How you can begin to compare the Mr pass-it-back Valencia to AWB beggars belief.

AWB is also highly press resistant and always managed to pick out a decent pass. I'm flat there is not area of play wherein Valencia was superior as a fullback.

Mcking

Simply not true. His pass is just fine. How you can begin to compare the Mr pass-it-back Valencia to AWB beggars belief.

AWB is also highly press resistant and always managed to pick out a decent pass. I'm flat there is not area of play wherein Valencia was superior as a fullback.
Our Valencia was a much better passer. At least he could pass backwards accurately and was comfortable in the build-up. The one thing Wan-Bissaka is good at is shielding the ball. Like Valencia, he never uses his left, and unlike Valencia, he struggles to pick out short passes. Whenever he's pressed, the ball mostly goes into touch as he just kicks it against the press, and he struggles to pass around an opponent. There's nothing fine about his passing.

AFC NimbleThumb

Surely spending £50mil on a full back whose attacking game is so far behind his defensive game was another poor piece of summer business.

I really like watching the guy play & defensively he’s a rock but even in this market £50mil for a fullback should get you someone with few weaknesses. Tbf AWB does have few weaknesses, the issue is his offensive weakness is a rather large one.

0le

Surely spending £50mil on a full back whose attacking game is so far behind his defensive game was another poor piece of summer business.

I really like watching the guy play & defensively he’s a rock but even in this market £50mil for a fullback should get you someone with few weaknesses. Tbf AWB does have few weaknesses, the issue is his offensive weakness is a rather large one.
He is easily one of the best RB's on the league so he demands a high fee. He has nailed that position as his own. You don't need attacking fullbacks to play football. There are many different ways to play football. He isn't even as bad as people suggest. He can also learn and improve. The job of a defender is first and foremost to defend. If you can't defend, then what is the point.

Honestly, just what a ridiculous opinion. He is easily one of the better signings of the season.

fps

He is easily one of the best RB's on the league so he demands a high fee. He has nailed that position as his own. You don't need attacking fullbacks to play football. There are many different ways to play football. He isn't even as bad as people suggest. He can also learn and improve. The job of a defender is first and foremost to defend. If you can't defend, then what is the point.

Honestly, just what a ridiculous opinion. He is easily one of the better signings of the season.
There is this ridiculous short termination as well, as if a young player isn’t going to improve and develop, as if after moving for a big fee they must be in their final form. Bizarre, but commonplace, especially online.

Dinghy

His passing is not good enough and there are several examples of it in every game when he's forced to try find a teammate higher up the pitch. Valencia was a much better RB offensively than what Wan Bissaka has been so far, there's not even a discussion. At least Valencia got himself in positions to put in terrible crosses.

E-mal

He is not good enough for an attacking team and time will prove this to be true.
He was not whort the price in all honesy.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Aaron Wan Bissaka reminds me so much of Sagna. We used to have the same debates about him. If his defensive prowess enough to make up for his lack of attacking contribution.

A-man

I agree that he can learn and I think he will get better and better at passes, crosses, etc. But I don’t agree with the bolded. A fullback today is not only a defender. If you play football like it seems that Ole wants to play it, you need FBs who can attack. The argument that what’s the point if you can’t defend? is missing the point. Yes, you need to be able to defend, but also to attack.

AFC NimbleThumb

Firstly, relax. Re-read my post I like the guy. It is genuinely impossible to debate with such an emotion laden post.

The guy is quality [I’ve already said this] I just asked if spending £50mil on someone who has such a lot to learn in the attacking department was smart business.

We have Shaw/Young at LB, so in this case we do need a fullback on the right capable of providing more than their fair share in attack.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
Aaron Wan Bissaka reminds me so much of Sagna. We used to have the same debates about him. If his defensive prowess enough to make up for his lack of attacking contribution.
I would say no. Especially for United where we dont have a great attacking left back . You need atleast one fullback who has a clue when he’s attacking.

The Original

Our Valencia was a much better passer. At least he could pass backwards accurately and was comfortable in the build-up. The one thing Wan-Bissaka is good at is shielding the ball. Like Valencia, he never uses his left, and unlike Valencia, he struggles to pick out short passes. Whenever he's pressed, the ball mostly goes into touch as he just kicks it against the press, and he struggles to pass around an opponent. There's nothing fine about his passing.
He struggles to pick out short passes with his 82.2% pass successfully rate v. Bournemouth? The same game were he attempted a through pass to Martial off his left, and you say he never uses his left.

You need to pay attention.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was of the opinion that we didn't need a RB in the summer and a LB should be prioritised. The mistake for the goal against Bournemouth was unbelievably bad but I can overlook that. But what I can't overlook is AWB's lack of know how in the last third. The game now requires fullbacks to do more than just defend and AWB fails at that part due to his limitations in attack. Max Aarons is a few years younger than AWB but is comfortably better in the attacking third in comparison IMO.

The role of the modern fullback has changed and it now requires players who must defend and attack at a good to high standard. Personally I prefer a fullback to be better in attack with the defensive side easily coached by a good manager/coach.

I made a prediction in the summer when we bought AWB that Ethan Laird will give him a serious headache as far as the RB spot goes in 2 years time. But if Laird can stay injury free then I truly believe he can overtake Wan Bissaka as our starting RB in 12 months time. Laird is good defensively and will prove to be fantastic going forward IMO.

Mcking

He struggles to pick out short passes with his 82.2% pass successfully rate v. Bournemouth? The same game were he attempted a through pass to Martial off his left, and you say he never uses his left.

Not very difficult to hit 82 when he spends most of the game in our half passing to Lindelof. He should be hitting centrehalf's numbers.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

His short passing completion is significantly below the rest of the team. Despite him playing few passes in the average third and at relatively low risk.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Baffling how someone can find any weaknesses at his game, he is perfect natural right back.

el3mel

Baffling how someone can find any weaknesses at his game, he is perfect natural right back.
Nope, he's not. Actually the baffling thing is to assume he's perfect. Definitely has his flaws. Whatever he will improve them or not is the question. I will be very disappointed if he doesn't improve his offensive side as the time goes on.

Last edited:

sherrinford

Nope, he's not. Actually the baffling thing is to assume he's perfect. Definitely has his flaws. Whatever he will improve them or not is the question. I will very disappointed if he doesn't improve his offensive side as the time goes on.
I would imagine you’re headed for disappointment. At most I would expect marginal improvements in some of the ‘mental’ aspects of the game both offensively and defensively - positioning and when to track a man and when to pass on, when to overlap, settling down when choosing and executing a pass, etc. He is not going to develop Alexander-Arnold’s quality of cross or anything like that.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Nope, he's not. Actually the baffling thing is to assume he's perfect. Definitely has his flaws. Whatever he will improve them or not is the question. I will very disappointed if he doesn't improve his offensive side as the time goes on.
Re read my post - he is perfect natural right back.

Some of you tend to forget, that players such as Alexander Arnold, Marcelo, Dani Alves etc.. never were natural right backs from the youth stages. So they play/played more as wingers than defenders. AWB is defender, his attacking part can be coached and built further as we grow as a team. I am pretty sure OGS have told him to be more defensive than he can be, just because we are too vulnerable without it.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I'd love to see your source for that claim.
Short passing completion for AWB and Man Utd? WhoScored.

Last third? From watching the games. Furthermore, the short passes he makes in the final third is close to the line with more space and time than through the middle.

sherrinford

Re read my post - he is perfect natural right back.

Some of you tend to forget, that players such as Alexander Arnold, Marcelo, Dani Alves etc.. never were natural right backs from the youth stages. So they play/played more as wingers than defenders. AWB is defender, his attacking part can be coached and built further as we grow as a team. I am pretty sure OGS have told him to be more defensive than he can be, just because we are too vulnerable without it.
You are aware Wan-Bissaka was a winger throughout his time in youth football, right?

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
He's pretty gash going forward I'd say but at least he has outstanding attributes elsewhere, whether that is enough for today's game is a fair question. I'd say he makes it even more urgent for us to upgrade the LB position as we lack anyone there with outstanding footballing attributes going forward.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I've got no issues with a defender that can defend, it's having midfielders who can't pass or create which is why we suffer or strikers who don't score goals.
:nono::nono::nono: Didnt you know we have to play attacking fullbacks like Liverpool... which is all well and good until a team with competent wing backs play them, nullyifying their attacking threat which completely shuts down their whole team...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
:nono::nono::nono: Didnt you know we have to play attacking fullbacks like Liverpool... which is all well and good until a team with competent wing backs play them, nullyifying their attacking threat which completely shuts down their whole team...
Half these posters would say no to Zanetti if offered because he doesn't run like Robertson.

sharpstar69

Supports
Liverpool
He quite clearly showed yesterday that your opinion is garbage though.

He's superb out in wide positions, the best defensive full back in the league I'd say. In central positions... still a hell of a lot to learn.
Haha......really? better than Trent, Walker, Pereira?? you need to watch other teams mate.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What exactly do people mean when they say "going forward" he is bad? Is it because he doesn't try to drible his way through against an organised defence? To me Evra was not the most effective going forward stats wise, he played in a great team, was an attacking fullback, yet didn't always contribute with goals and assist. The thing that he always did do was contribute with movement, and he made himself available in the offensive play. Now Bissaka isn't the same player as Evra, far from it, but I wonder how effective Evra would be in this team. He wouldn't. He would be isolated with no creativity around him, expected to drible and cross, and guess what nobody would be in the box.

I've seen Wan-Bissaka play himself out of pressure in situations, with quick passes and transition it into an attack, I've seen him put in good crosses, and I've seen him pass between the lines to the striker and even through-balls into space for James. While he isn't doing these things consistently, our team aren't really making it easy for him to do so. He has been great defensively and shown good potential offensively at worst, imo. He makes himself available offensively, it is just that not much come of our established play. If he does a quick one-two and passes it to Lingard who loses the ball, or Pereira who's shot is blocked or Mata who passes it back, that is not on him imo.

TrustInOle

Haha......really? better than Trent, Walker, Pereira?? you need to watch other teams mate.
Definatley has much, much better defensive ability than everyone of them already. Care to count how many times AWB has been dribbled past? Passed around? Caught out of position?

TrustInOle

Keep James wide on the right, with AWB playing more disciplined and linking the play up on the right side, then have young/ Shaw/ Williams bombing forward, overlapping Rashford who will be cutting inside more often than not. 1 attacking full back in the right system is enough, especially when no body is getting past AWB one on one.

Revan

Assumptionman
Or you know like United when we were winning titles. Evra and Irwing were great going forward, Neville had an amazing cross on him and always found a way at being in the right position to cross. Even Rafael in our two last title campaigns was a constant threat going forward.

AWB is nowhere near that level. Time will tell if being great at defending but useless in the other parts of the game will be enough. I predict that he will get Shaw's treatment in two years or so.

el3mel

"Shuts down their whole team"? You know Liverpool won CL and got +90 points last season, and leading the current league with 6 points gap. Their attacking full backs have a big role in all of these.

The modern game has moved on from these fully defensive type backs. Fullback now must be good in attacking, overlapping, running in space and at least ground crossing. They are a big part of any successful attack, not just a supporting factor.

Liverpool has 2 of the best full backs in the world not just in the league and they are both far ahead of AWB or anyone we have at the moment. No one can't watch them and doesn't feel jealous of how they take their full side going back and forth, destroying defense and creating chances for crosses while all of our FBs became invisible once they cross the half line.

AWB needs to improve his offensive side as simple as that. Otherwise I believe the positive opinion about him will start to change by the next season.

Renegade

I think his a really good signing, attacking play will be called out by the masses a little later down the line.

I still prefer 12/13 Rafael. I think a fully fit Rafael adds more to this team despite being considerably weaker defensively than AWB. It’s a shame he could never shake the injuries.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think his a really good signing, attacking play will be called out by the masses a little later down the line.

I still prefer 12/13 Rafael. I think a fully fit Rafael adds more to this team despite being considerably weaker defensively than AWB. It’s a shame he could never shake the injuries.
12/13 Rafael is far superior to AWB, it isn't even a debate. Of course, he was much more experienced, but a fit Rafael (lol) in that form is better than AWB would ever be IMO. He was actually our third best player or so that season (after RVP and Carrick).

I actually think that Rafael 10-11 is also quite better than current AWB.

Status
Not open for further replies.