Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazza

Having two defensively sound, young and quick full backs will be a godsend for us. We can adopt a higher starting position and teams won’t be able to gang up on one particular flank. If Shaw and AWB reach their potential, we are in good shape.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Don't we criticize Shaw and Young because how little offensive output they can offer, and not about they're defensively inept?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't we criticize Shaw and Young because how little offensive output they can offer, and not about they're defensively inept?
Young is pretty inept in most areas. This chap is expected to be an upgrade in nearly all senses. It's fine to criticise him but but also acknowledge what he offers better than his alternative.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Young is pretty inept in most areas. This chap is expected to be an upgrade in nearly all senses. It's fine to criticise him but but also acknowledge what he offers better than his alternative.
Didn't people want Young out just because he's offensively harmless, not because his defensive attribute?

Also, Shaw was defensively superb, but his inept offensive output is why people start to think about getting another LB.

So I'm surprised the giddiness of many about getting another "Shaw" as RB.

But maybe I've been reading them all wrong.

Last edited:

RedCurry

Putting a cross in has to be one of the easiest skills in football to learn through training surely? Our coaches have grossly underperformed in helping our wide players in recent times. I can only hope that it’s different this time and AWB achieves the right type of training needed to succeed.

Ace of Spades

Didn't people want Young out just because he's offensively harmless, not because his defensive attribute?

Also, Shaw was defensively superb, but his inept offensive output is why people start to think about getting another LB.

So I'm surprised the giddiness of many about getting another "Shaw" as RB.

But maybe I've been reading them all wrong.
No, 'people' wanted Young out because he was shit, end of. He was shit in attack and defence.

Also, Shaw is fine. Certainly would be good if he could improve his attack, but that is not the problem. We should be looking at another LB as we have no one after Shaw. An injury to him, and that position becomes a problem. Also, some competition is always good so players don't slack off.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No, 'people' wanted Young out because he was shit, end of. He was shit in attack and defence.

Also, Shaw is fine. Certainly would be good if he could improve his attack, but that is not the problem. We should be looking at another LB as we have no one after Shaw. An injury to him, and that position becomes a problem. Also, some competition is always good so players don't slack off.
Valencia was defensively sound but shit in attack. Did I read it wrong that many wanted him out also?

Yeh, so I've been reading it wrong that people have problem with Shaw ineptness in attack then.

Ace of Spades

Valencia was defensively sound but shit in attack. Did I read it wrong that many wanted him out also?

Yeh, so I've been reading it wrong that people have problem with Shaw ineptness in attack then.
Valencia was great a couple of seasons back, and defensively rock solid, but it was obvious that we needed to find a replacement because of his age.

Yeah, you have been reading it wrong. Shaw can improve in attack, and hopefully he does, but that does not mean that anyone wants to sell him. He is a fine LB, but we need cover, who can also be competition to keep pushing Shaw to keep improving himself and also to keep performance levels high.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Valencia was great a couple of seasons back, and defensively rock solid, but it was obvious that we needed to find a replacement because of his age.

Yeah, you have been reading it wrong. Shaw can improve in attack, and hopefully he does, but that does not mean that anyone wants to sell him. He is a fine LB, but we need cover, who can also be competition to keep pushing Shaw to keep improving himself and also to keep performance levels high.
Yeh maybe I've been looking at the wrong thread here?
http://www.redcafe.net/threads/luke-shaw-2018-19-performances.440082/page-93#post-24350024

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/luke-shaw-2018-19-performances.440082/page-89

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/luke-shaw-2018-19-performances.440082/page-87

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/luke-shaw-2018-19-performances.440082/page-85

Last edited:

Morpheus 7

So happy with this signing, so solid and gives us real stability. Positional discipline is incredible for his age.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Y'all still think he is inept going forward?
Think the video above argues he is not inept going forward. Been saying it since day one, he's an all-round full-back whose defensive game is already solid but he does have potential going forwards.. good footwork, pace and cross.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is what I said before we signed him. Forget his final passing, rest of his game is very good. He is technically good and link up play is very good. He just need to develop that final pass which comes with experience.

How anyone can watch him and say he is technically limited player is beyond me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Think the video above argues he is not inept going forward. Been saying it since day one, he's an all-round full-back whose defensive game is already solid but he does have potential going forwards.. good footwork, pace and cross.
Exactly. People just check assists column and came to conclusions that he isn't good in he attack and technically limited. He was the player who completed most dribbles for a RB last season, that itself shows how good he is.

Canagel

Very happy with this signing. Its already changed the whole dynamic on the right hand side and opens up the whole pitch.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Think him joining us will do really well for his career, really see sides of him that he wasn't always able to show at Palace due to them being often in the back foot.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Early days but so fecking glad we didn't go for Muenier instead, this guy's mint, it was clear as day all last season.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Exactly. People just check assists column and came to conclusions that he isn't good in he attack and technically limited. He was the player who completed most dribbles for a RB last season, that itself shows how good he is.
It didn't matter what we showed them. We are assured how supposedly technically inept and poor at attacking he was. And how freaking meunier would be a superior buy

Web of Bissaka

Wow. Mr reliable. So solid at RB, I feel our right defense side are totally safe seeing him there. :drool: I'm sure his teammates feel the same way.

Nothing fancy when he's attacking, just pure effective when he had to deliver.

So solid all-around. Definitely flashier when defending, but attacking is equally "solid".

Fer

I remember that Wan Bissaka was one of the players I wanted for this summer (same with De Ligt, Sancho and Haverz)... I'm glad that we were able to sign him, mainly because he offers something different to Dalot. At least we are not going to see Young as a starter for another season.

The question is, who is the best available player we can get for the right-wing position to complement AWB?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I remember that Wan Bissaka was one of the players I wanted for this summer (same with De Ligt, Sancho and Haverz)... I'm glad that we were able to sign him, mainly because he offers something different to Dalot. At least we are not going to see Young as a starter for another season.

The question is, who is the best available player we can get for the right-wing position to complement AWB?
Jadon Sancho.

meamth

Putting a cross in has to be one of the easiest skills in football to learn through training surely? Our coaches have grossly underperformed in helping our wide players in recent times. I can only hope that it’s different this time and AWB achieves the right type of training needed to succeed.
Crossing is a very difficult skill to master. The repertoire of techniques are endless.

Hitting the ball clean is already difficult and putting accuracy on top of that is very hard to do.

That's why crossers is a dying breed. Because it needs life time of training. Modern players tend to hope for the best, they prefer cut back crosses instead of old school beckhamesque crosses.

Types of forward also played a part in the death of crossers. Modern forwards prefer ball to the ground instead of crosses, hence why the classic target mens are no longer the norm.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Luke Shaw is a good fullback. He is not excellent going forward but he's better than people give him credit for.

ABW is supposed to be terrific in defence and pretty good on the ball. The point you seem to be missing is that he replaced Young who isn't just poor in attack but just a poor footballer in general. ABW is a huge huge upgrade on him. And Valencia was never superb in defence either. He was a solid fullback who did most things to a decent level. We've now got a better RB than we have in a long long time. I don't see the reason to be mopey about that, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.