Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

I think that has more to do with James playing on the right. Ideally we'd want a player like Ødegaard/Sancho out there against teams that allow no space for James to run in. We get congested out there often with a lack of penetration, even though they generally keep the ball in the team effectively out there.
That could be true. Maybe it will be better with Pogba as well. But I more thinking how Ole could take benefit from the speed and defensive skills of AWB in those situations. I don’t see it myself, but there must be a way.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah, really useless in attack. For all the talk of him having more freedom there and being an ex-winter.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Great defender but he is absolutely pointless when he has to be a attacking outlet.

EDIT: I would go further and say he might aswell be a CB. :D

Last edited:

Idxomer

Valencia reincarnated without the occasional good attacking play every 10 games.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Some amazing tackles, but God he can't cross to save his life.

You'd have thought he would have hit a good one by accident by now

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Makes too many of those slide tackles IMO. He goes in a bit awkwardly too. I don't think it'll be long before it costs a penalty, but more so I'm concerned he'll end up with a knee injury.

He's been excellent lately though, despite his offensive shortcomings.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We shouldn't be relying on our RB as an attacking outlet just because Liverpool do with TAA, he's there to create overloads and overlapping runs not put in Beckham like delivery. He's also the type that prefers to play 1-2's in that area of the pitch and more often than not he was out there on his own

My MOTM based on his defensive contribution tbh

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Unsure whether he’s the greatest tackler whose ever lived, or just so bad positionally that he’s always having to make endless heartstopping slide tackles in the box every game.

Fun though. Can’t cross.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That could be true. Maybe it will be better with Pogba as well. But I more thinking how Ole could take benefit from the speed and defensive skills of AWB in those situations. I don’t see it myself, but there must be a way.
Do you mean like set a higher defensive line and have him higher up the field in a starting position to press and use his tackling to win the ball in dangerous positions? In that case, I don't think we'll get to see that until we have a CB partnership that isn't so soft and slow that they need cover.

Had a bad game. First half was just weak, second half better with a few good runs offensively and important involvements defensively, still a very frustrating half for him nobody getting on the end of his balls. Hopefully he'll bounce back next game. Has to be said that James had a particularly bad day with his back to the goal, and our CB's threw so many balls away our play became fragmented. We never managed to play properly out from the back but that wasn't only due to Bissaka. Let's not go overboard.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
We shouldn't be relying on our RB as an attacking outlet just because Liverpool do with TAA, he's there to create overloads and overlapping runs not put in Beckham like delivery. He's also the type that prefers to play 1-2's in that area of the pitch and more often than not he was out there on his own

My MOTM based on his defensive contribution tbh
Agree with this. Had him as MOTM as well.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Best signing in years.
Can't blame his poorish attacking ability, because those who's jobs it actually is are no better, let alone good enough to cover for it
To be fair, attacking ability is part of the job for a modern full back... So we shouldn't be relying on others to cover for it.

Just have to hope he can improve in that department

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If only we had a prime Arjen Robben or somebody of his ilk infront of him to do all the attacking work. He's a world class defender, attackers just don't like playing him.

That's why I think we desperately need somebody like Sancho on the wing, especially in these tighter matches.

Our team is all speed no brains.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fantastic defensively, it was like watching replay when he tackled Everton player twice in 10 seconds.

Irwin99

Gave him MotM (generously perhaps) for nullifying Everton's best player despite a poor attacking display.

My heart's in my mouth whenever he goes to ground in the box and then afterwards I think 'why the hell was i even worried...it's Wan Bissaka for god's sake'

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I honestly still think he’s a bit underrated in attack, he’s not brilliant at getting forward but he does as much as you can expect from a defensive fullback.
His defending is brilliant which goes without saying.

Prodigy24

Outstanding defensively, decent at going forward with his passing and runs but quite bad at crossing. Needs to work on his crossing abilities, and after that we might have one of the best RBs in the world.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Whether he has Robben or Sancho infront of him is irrelevant. A fullback has to provide a overlap to help the attacking players to either open space or to create a overload. He also doesn't need to cross the ball aerially but rather cross it low or go for a cut-back which would be a big help. Against teams who sit deep he must provide a option for our attack or it's pointless playing him against the so called cannon fodder.

I'm hoping he will at the very least become effective in the last third in the next 12 months.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Maybe I’m seeing something different but apart from the cross in the second half when he was absolutely free, I thought his crossing was ok. He offered runs which makes space but our forwards were a bit too static today

Defensively he was a wall today against richarlison

Zen86

Maybe I’m seeing something different but apart from the cross in the second half when he was absolutely free, I thought his crossing was ok. He offered runs which makes space but our forwards were a bit too static today

Defensively he was a wall today against richarlison
I thought he was decent today to be honest. Absolute rock in defence, but also offered support going forward. I can’t help but feel he’s going to give away a penalty sooner or later with some of the challenges he’s putting in though, as excellent as they have been so far.

Devil may care

Defensively he's the Black Gandalf, offensively he's like one of the Orcs Aragorn mullered at the end of FOTR.

Bobski

There was a 5 min spell in the second half when Richarlison had 3 1 v 1's against him, and AWB won every one, against a dangerous attacker, with some ease. His defending in those situations in undeniably elite, as good as any I can recall in recent years. Made the biggest difference to our defensive play improving having a full back who cuts out so much danger.

His attacking play and general technical level needs polish of course but he doesn't need to be a world class attacker to be a huge positive. I think of how Gary Neville improved his attacking game as he matured, and AWB is not much worse at the same age as Nev was in that aspect.

Ban

Unsure whether he’s the greatest tackler whose ever lived, or just so bad positionally that he’s always having to make endless heartstopping slide tackles in the box every game.

Fun though. Can’t cross.
Greatest tackler.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
A day spent with Gary Neville and Beckham would do him a lot of good.

There's little you can tell him to do that he doesn't defensively, he's that good but going forward he needs a lot of improvement.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
90% of the games we'll play in a season, he won't be adding much value. Good defender.

A lot of our fanbase still live in the 80s.
Yeh. It's one thing praising his defending. But saying that there's nothing wrong with his play or he had a good game, doesn't fly with me.

Part of why we've been no joy facing smaller teams is our fullbacks have zero attacking input. Just like today.

C'est Moi Cantona

Makes too many of those slide tackles IMO. He goes in a bit awkwardly too. I don't think it'll be long before it costs a penalty, but more so I'm concerned he'll end up with a knee injury.

He's been excellent lately though, despite his offensive shortcomings.
Get out, that's what he's good at, not sure I've seen him mistime one yet, he did three tackles inside the box today in a short space of time that most defenders would have got wrong and given away a penalty, but he got each one spot on, there's no way you'd want to take that away from his game, he revels in it.

Skills

Snitch
Yeh. It's one thing praising his defending. But saying that there's nothing wrong with his play or he had a good game, doesn't fly with me.

Part of why we've been no joy facing smaller teams is our fullbacks have zero attacking input. Just like today.
I don't even think they need to be assist machines, but you definitely need a threat from your fullbacks. The likes of TAA/Robertson free up Mane and Salah, by making opposition defenders commit. If your fullbacks don't offer a threat, they can play off them and and stay compact.

DVG7

You’d have to expect teams to start altering their tactics against us. He’s basically nullifying every left winger that comes up against him.

siw2007

He’s making better and better runs forwards and getting into better positions. Unfortunately the final ball is still lacking, I’m sure it will get there, part of the problem is psychological, that he is panicking and making bad decisions by hitting crosses first time when he can look up and pick out his pass. Hopefully as he becomes more familiar to his instructions he will settle.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Valencia was much better getting forward than AWB. On the rare occasion AWB does get forward his final ball is better though.
He really wasn't. Turn back Tony...he attempted less take ons than AWB and if he did get space he drilled it into the shins of the fullback. Valencia as a fullback was mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.