Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

He'sRaldo

He's not poor attacking, he just needs chances to do it more and more in his new club.

Playing with Greenwood also helps him own the right side more.

C'est Moi Cantona

He is fantastic, potentially our best signing post Fergie, although that view could be skewed given the RB player has so bad for so long.

Nick7

I’ve thought his crossing was decent since the start. He just need to have a little more faith in himself that he can beat the defender he’s opposing. Willems was terrified of him.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Interesting to see the difference in mindset between the UK and Holland..

It seems like the caf rates him highly for his tendency to tackle.. whereas in Holland this is seen as a flaw. The youth academies teach that tackling should really be your dead last option.
Here we emphasize positional awareness/ball playing skills for defenders in order to avoid dangerous situations.

That's also part of the reason why defenders like VVD as a CB, or Blind, Aké (CB/FB) most often stay on their feet, which is pretty similar to the Spanish school, I would say.
Makes me wonder how Davinson Sanchez succeeded at Ajax.

He is fantastic, potentially our best signing post Fergie, although that view could be skewed given the RB player has so bad for so long.
not had a decent RB in a decade! Rafael was good, but rarely fit and AWB is showing how overrated Valencia was, and is a revelation compared to what he served up for years.

excellent young player, is going to lack some consistency, so let’s not slate him when he has a few bad games.

LVGSdive

'Slide tackling in the box should be avoided' is typical football fan overreaction/knee jerk reaction? :

:lol:
Yes it's a knee jerk reaction because AWB gave away a penalty with a mistimed slide tackle. He made 2 excellent slide tackles in the box against Everton. Nobody on here was posting that he shouldn't do it.

HowYouDoin

Encouraging stuff with some more adventure in him going forward. Want him to take more risks and try to do more things offensively. Needs to get more comfortable passing, just more comfortable in possession in general.
Long way to go but encouraging stuff today. Otherwise Dalot makes more sense in some games where theres not a lot of threat defensively and we need an offensive option.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I’ve thought his crossing was decent since the start. He just need to have a little more faith in himself that he can beat the defender he’s opposing. Willems was terrified of him.
Sometimes crossing can look bad on the guy putting it in, purely because the attackers are not making the effort or are simply making poor runs.

I think the main thing he could improve for me is the volume of overlaps. His delivery won't yield stupid amounts of goals, but I think it's simply a reflection on the types of forwards we have...not one of them is a seasoned poacher of <6 yard goals.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A good cross also relies on the attacker being there and attacking it.

he’s put plenty of good balls like that in before and we’ve either messed them up or not been there.

rarely though are we in a situation where we pin a team back and work the ball fast enough to get him 1v1. Today we did.

Nick7

Sometimes crossing can look bad on the guy putting it in, purely because the attackers are not making the effort or are simply making poor runs.

I think the main thing he could improve for me is the volume of overlaps. His delivery won't yield stupid amounts of goals, but I think it's simply a reflection on the types of forwards we have...not one of them is a seasoned poacher of <6 yard goals.
Agree with all of that

Ace of Spades

His crossing is not bad, he just very rarely does that. His attacking game is not bad, more like he seems to be playing a bit safe and does not take that gamble with trying to take a defender on, or go for an overlap.

Hopefully, he works on that.

el3mel

Great, great today. Very pleased with what he offered. More of that please.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
His crossing is not bad, he just very rarely does that. His attacking game is not bad, more like he seems to be playing a bit safe and does not take that gamble with trying to take a defender on, or go for an overlap.

Hopefully, he works on that.
Excellent statement. I think the team sometimes lacks belief in themselves in matches where we are expected to win, but against so called top 6 teams we are expected to lose, so there is no pressure. AWB fits that I believe, he still doesn't have the confidence to really go at a defender, but perhaps we may see a slightly more attacking player from now on.

Hoof the ball

Tactically, Greenwood is a benefit for AWB going forward. The very fact that Mason comes inside on his left leaves space out wide for AWB to occupy; conversely, when James starts on the right, he holds the width more often than not, which limits the opportunities for AWB to overlap on that right.

meninred

I was glad to finally see him join the attack and cross. In modern football you at least need one attacking full back.I hope he continues doing that.

croadyman

Maybe what happened on Sun has shown him than he should not go to ground with every tackle and could well see him do it a little bit less as a result. I was really pleased to see him put in a great cross for Rashford because hopefully that will give him confidence to take the defender on a bit more in that position.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That cross was a peach. Somehow reminded me of Xavi cross to Messi in our. CL Final.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Everyone praises only the goal assist but the Martial goal was also due to this guy. He made an excellent tackle on the line which caused the ball to goto Longstaff and he then misplaced the pass.

Anustart89

The vast majority of posts there are praising AWB's defending there.
I'm not the one who said "nobody" in my previous post. I disagreed with them two weeks ago and I still do.

Just because Smalling usually gets away with pulling people's shirts on corners doesn't mean we should encourage him to keep pulling shirts on corners, should we?

Ander herrera the warrior

Seeing how good his tackle is, can't help to imagine him being a little more central especially when we get counter attacked by the opposing team. His tackling would really help stop dangerous counter attacks.

Rolaholic

Good read and insight into his mindset, really loving him as a player more each time I watch him and hear from him. Seems he's got a cool and collected head on his shoulders and is hungry to improve himself which can go a long way.

Excerpts for those who don't want to give that rag clicks :lol:

He feels like the type of signing and profile that Fergie would be over the moon over

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Good read and insight into his mindset, really loving him as a player more each time I watch him and hear from him. Seems he's got a cool and collected head on his shoulders and is hungry to improve himself which can go a long way.

Excerpts for those who don't want to give that rag clicks :lol:

He feels like the type of signing and profile that Fergie would be over the moon over

This is what I said a couple weeks back - I reckon training against him is doing Rashford some benefits.

On another note - I was watching a YouTube video of him today & he genuinely reminds me of Vidic the way he defends by chucking himself on to the ball although he obviously doesn't have the aerial presence as of yet. I hope we try him out and see how he does in the future.

Last edited:

Bwuk

He’s far too poor with the ball to be a long term solution at RB.

Reddevildans

Why dont any of our full backs overlap. There were countless chances to overlap by shaw and awb. This guy is just baffling. Hes got the pace and stamina to get up and down the flank yet is abysmal going forward.

3KDré

I think he’d learn to be competent in a attack if we had a coach that would do simple things like coach the team patterns of play, how and where to move off the ball when we have the ball and how to disrupt the opposite team’s defence.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think he’d learn to be competent in a attack if we had a coach that would do simple things like coach the team patterns of play, how and where to move off the ball when we have the ball and how to disrupt the opposite team’s defence.
He was much better attacking & wanted to attack when we played Greenwood who wanted to cut in and provide space to attack on to.

Playing Daniel James was just a naff decision & shows why Wan Bissaka struggled so much.

Mcking

James doesn't help him in all honesty. The fullback needs a winger to consistently link with. One that would take responsibility on the flank, draw some defenders to him, and open up space for the fullback. James is very weak physically, can't dribble, rarely squares up to a defender, and can only run with the ball. It means that Wan-bissaka rarely get the chance to get involved, because James can't get him in the game.

Bwuk

He’s a 50m full back. He shouldn’t need to be coached basic positioning.

Williams is a much better footballer than any of the full backs at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.