Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Midfielder

We can always play with 1 FB (LB) going high up and the other being conservative.. Maybe have Lindelof go up.. like we had yesterday...
He is too good defensively to be left out.. and he was good offensively against the few teams we played ..and we do not play Chelsea every week..

However, I agree, he is awkward offensively.. somewhat like he doesn't know the position clearly and is not sure whether to run, or drop back..

Skills

Snitch
How on earth was he a winger coming through ?
Well you can see why he was converted to a FB. If he was promising enough as a winger, no club would even think about converting him to a FB (a winger is far more valuable than a FB).

Revan

Assumptionman
The hyperbole here is amazing, a couple of weeks ago AWB was the greatest RB in the world, ahead of TAA, Carvajal, etc. Now he is not even the best fullback in the team.

Its clear he is fatigued so his performances have not been as good as it were. He is great defensively, arguably the best RB in the world defensive wise, but his offensive side is I wouldnt say poor but, bang average. Lets not fool ourselves into thinking he will improve to the point that he'll become an offensive fullback, he will not. He can certainly improve but he has so many basic offesive limitations that I just dont see him ever becoming an attacking force.

So we'll continue to see this hyperbole reactions, when playing against top wingers he will shut them and all the forum will praise him, when playing against low blocks he wont offer anything special so he'll get criticized.
When did that happen? Mind finding some posts that say that?

SAFMUTD

When did that happen? Mind finding some posts that say that?
Not going to look up for them specifically, but there were a lot of posters saying AWB was better than TAA. Dont worry you'll see those post against as soon as we face Liverpool or City and he shuts down the right flank.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not going to look up for them specifically, but there were a lot of posters saying AWB was better than TAA. Dont worry you'll see those post against as soon as we face Liverpool or City and he shuts down the right flank.
That doesn't mean much to be fair. Mkhitaryan was better than Mane, Rashford better than Mbappe and in another forum Le Tallec better than Ronaldo. Fans tend to overrate their own players, especially at the beginning.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a neutral who would say that AWB is better than TAA, or as good, or half as good.

SAFMUTD

That doesn't mean much to be fair. Mkhitaryan was better than Mane, Rashford better than Mbappe and in another forum Le Tallec better than Ronaldo. Fans tend to overrate their own players, especially at the beginning.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a neutral who would say that AWB is better than TAA, or as good, or half as good.
I agree, thats why I talk about the hyperbole here. We tend to overrate and underrate our players depending on how the team is performing rather on how are they specifically performing.

Use Pogba as an example, he puts great numbers but some posters, not neutral people, but posters here say he's not as good as he was at Juve based on what? based on that with Juve he won the serie A and reached a UCL final while here he hasnt won any major title. Because if you look at Pogba's individual stats he is far better today than what he used to be at Juve.

Greck

Can't see him suddenly finding technical ability at 22. He should mould his game after Sissoko (when he was decent). Wasn't technically gifted but had composure and got the job done in build up phases and even when pressed. In a year or less consensus could easily shift that we need an attacking right back ahead of him because he's going to see all sorts of high pressing styles in Europe

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pereira is the best all rounder in the league. TAA is pretty weak defensively but a generational talent going forward
Yeah, he is good both attacking and defending, reminds me of Maicon but obviously lesser version.

Water Melon

The lad is not a wing back, should not be played in that position. This is on Ole, not AWB.

Hoboman

He is just tired and not used to go up and down the pitch all game. Will be fine as soon as the right balance in his game will be found.

His crossing improved drastically and he completes more dribbles per game than Liverpool's fullbacks combined.
Need to keep polishing his technique, be more brave and confident.

Also without natural right winger he often finds himself against two opponents and with no space to attack or make runs.

Defensively he is as good as any fullback in the league. Sometimes has minor concentration lapses, but has enough agility to compensate.
Keep in mind that he plays alongside Lindelof-Maguire, who is probably the slowest CB pairing in the league and Matic who rarely moves to the wings to cover our fullbacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: roonster09

Devil81

Needs a rest, TFM is more than capable so hopefully he gets a few days off before the Sunday crunch match.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If he works on his aerial ability, I really think he could be shifted centrally to partner Macguire and have Williams/Laird/TFM battle it out for the right back position.

He and Macguire would pretty much mesh well and with his pace and Shaw's helping Macguire, we wouldn't need to be scared every single time someone dribbles past Macguire.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nobody was moaning about his ability on the ball earlier in the season.

I swear posters can only remember as far as 3 games back. He played perfectly fine against Sheffield and put in some lovely crosses.

he’s been massively over played in the last few weeks and deserves a rest, his performance levels have dipped but to say he can’t play football is stupid.

roonster09

Scout

I swear posters can only remember as far as 3 games back. He played perfectly fine against Sheffield and put in some lovely crosses.

he’s been massively over played in the last few weeks and deserves a rest, his performance levels have dipped but to say he can’t play football is stupid.
Just 3 games before people were praising him for his improvement in attacking game, now all of a sudden he won't be good enough at all.

GlasgowCeltic

He is just tired and not used to go up and down the pitch all game. Will be fine as soon as the right balance in his game will be found.

His crossing improved drastically and he completes more dribbles per game than Liverpool's fullbacks combined.
Need to keep polishing his technique, be more brave and confident.

Also without natural right winger he often finds himself against two opponents and with no space to attack or make runs.

Defensively he is as good as any fullback in the league. Sometimes has minor concentration lapses, but has enough agility to compensate.
Keep in mind that he plays alongside Lindelof-Maguire, who is probably the slowest CB pairing in the league and Matic who rarely moves to the wings to cover our fullbacks.
Think Robertson and Azpi are better defenders, his positioning and aerial weaknesses are pretty big ones

Crimson King

He looks knackered, his forms dipped because of it and it's started to affect his confidence on the ball.

In an ideal world you'd rest him but every game since the restart has been like a cup final, so we just need him to dig deep and find a performance for these last 2 games.

Mr Smith

People need to get off his back. A couple of poor games and he's getting slated here. He's 22 and still developing. Give it time.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Nah. TAA is the best all-rounder, in fact he is the best RB in the world (not only in England).
TAA is poor defensively. He doesn't expose as much because of the way Liverpool play. But as a defender purely he's mediocre.

romufc

Just 3 games before people were praising him for his improvement in attacking game, now all of a sudden he won't be good enough at all.
I don't think people quite understand how fatigue can affect you. When you play alot of football, you can run quick, feel fit but sometimes on the ball you are leggy, the passes seem off and sometimes you cannot do anything about it.

It is even more difficult when you are pressed and the other players around you are tired in Lindelof, Matic, Pogba etc.

Now, they might not be physically tired but the players during the covid times have to travel to games on the day, we have done the most travelling in amongst all PL teams as well.

jesperjaap

Nah. TAA is the best all-rounder, in fact he is the best RB in the world (not only in England).
I disagree, think he is doing really well and obviously a huge talent. I do think like Bissaka needs to improve going forward in a few areas substantially, TAA can improve a lot defensively positionally and reading the game and I think he will.
Reece James of course has a lot to learn. But it is his first season remember and I am yet to see anybody give him a really hard time. He was the one player didnt look out of place at all for Chelsea when they played Bayern Munich. Fast, aggresive, very strong, think he is going to be a phenomenal player for Chelsea

Revan

Assumptionman
TAA is poor defensively. He doesn't expose as much because of the way Liverpool play. But as a defender purely he's mediocre.
Could be that in some other system he would look worse, but in this system, he is as a good RB as any I’ve seen since peak Dany Alves (and actually similar considering that Alves wasn’t the best defensively).

Silas

People were talking about it before he even signed. To which most responded, "he's young, he'll improve" or, "he used to be a winger, he'll be fine".

Adam-Utd

People were talking about it before he even signed. To which most responded, "he's young, he'll improve" or, "he used to be a winger, he'll be fine".
And he's the 2nd highest assister from fullback in the league.

it's just a lack of form due to being over played, way too much hyperbole on the forum at the moment. He looks very tired, he's not even tackling properly like he used to. Forget his passing and think back to how he used to pretty much eliminate any left sided winger that came close, I don't feel the same security lately.

I've seen enough of him this year to say his football isn't an issue at all. He can link up play fine and cross pretty well, he just needs a bit of a rest.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
And he's the 2nd highest assister from fullback in the league.

it's just a lack of form due to being over played, way too much hyperbole on the forum at the moment. He looks very tired, he's not even tackling properly like he used to. Forget his passing and think back to how he used to pretty much eliminate any left sided winger that came close, I don't feel the same security lately.

I've seen enough of him this year to say his football isn't an issue at all. He can link up play fine and cross pretty well, he just needs a bit of a rest.
A couple of assists isn’t an indicator of ability on the ball. He has 4 assists, he has over 1,500 passes and 1,500 touches on the ball. You don’t use an event that has happened 4 times in a season, you use the ones that happen 1,500+ times.

He is in terrible form but he wasn’t good on the ball before either. Forget his passing, why would we do that? You can’t just say forget arguably the biggest part of the game.

And several people have seen enough this year to see it clearly is an issue. Chelsea specifically targeted him because of the issue. Playing a couple decent crosses isn’t the measure of a players ability on the ball. Ball control, composure, quick feet work with moving the ball, and short passing are the bread and butter of the game, the aspect you need to do 50+ times a game and he is shocking at it at times. Top teams play out from the back, and he simply isn’t good at it.

Adam-Utd

A couple of assists isn’t an indicator of ability on the ball. He has 4 assists, he has over 1,500 passes and 1,500 touches on the ball. You don’t use an event that has happened 4 times in a season, you use the ones that happen 1,500+ times.

He is in terrible form but he wasn’t good on the ball before either. Forget his passing, why would we do that? You can’t just say forget arguably the biggest part of the game.

And several people have seen enough this year to see it clearly is an issue. Chelsea specifically targeted him because of the issue. Playing a couple decent crosses isn’t the measure of a players ability on the ball. Ball control, composure, quick feet work with moving the ball, and short passing are the bread and butter of the game, the aspect you need to do 50+ times a game and he is shocking at it at times. Top teams play out from the back, and he simply isn’t good at it.
You've misread it, I said forget it for a moment and realise that his tackling has also suffered, purely because he's running on fumes.

He's played against Chelsea 4 times this year and looked absolutely fine in 3 of them, in fact 1 of his best assists came for Martial against Chelsea.

I've seen his link up play be plenty good in tight spaces. People moaned his crossing is poor but statistically it's very good. I just think people are having a moan at whatever they can find lately without much substance.

Has his form dropped? yes. Is he bad at passing and controlling the ball? no.

HowYouDoin

Dont see him as a full back. He is either a right centre back or nothing. He will be valuable to a team that wants to play him as a right centre back, in fact he may be excellent at it.
Sorta like Damien. AWB probably fits Italian league the best

Skills

Snitch
Could be that in some other system he would look worse, but in this system, he is as a good RB as any I’ve seen since peak Dany Alves (and actually similar considering that Alves wasn’t the best defensively).
Trent would be fine for any top team - he might struggle in a relegation candidate or a midtable team. Don't think he's in any threat of joining a club who play a midtable brand of football anytime soon.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
If he works on his aerial ability, I really think he could be shifted centrally to partner Macguire and have Williams/Laird/TFM battle it out for the right back position.

He and Macguire would pretty much mesh well and with his pace and Shaw's helping Macguire, we wouldn't need to be scared every single time someone dribbles past Macguire.
Being good defensively as a fullback isn’t the same as being a center back. The key attributes for a CB are positioning, and this is where AWB is weakest defensively. He would be an absolute calamity at CB.

romufc

You've misread it, I said forget it for a moment and realise that his tackling has also suffered, purely because he's running on fumes.

He's played against Chelsea 4 times this year and looked absolutely fine in 3 of them, in fact 1 of his best assists came for Martial against Chelsea.

I've seen his link up play be plenty good in tight spaces. People moaned his crossing is poor but statistically it's very good. I just think people are having a moan at whatever they can find lately without much substance.

Has his form dropped? yes. Is he bad at passing and controlling the ball? no.

Is it me or do I remember AWB being good on the ball in the early and middle part of the season?

I am sure I have seen AWB at the half way line pulling off a trick and passing the ball.

AWB, Maguire, Lindelof are tired, they have been playing every game and sometimes when you are fatigued, the passing is off and there is no explanation to that.

I think AWB should get 2/3 weeks off before the next season.

Adam-Utd

Is it me or do I remember AWB being good on the ball in the early and middle part of the season?

I am sure I have seen AWB at the half way line pulling off a trick and passing the ball.

AWB, Maguire, Lindelof are tired, they have been playing every game and sometimes when you are fatigued, the passing is off and there is no explanation to that.

People have extremely short memories, just these 2 assists alone show he's plenty capable on the ball. His link up play has been good for most of the season, I can remember plenty of occasions he's played some nice 1-2's and burst into the box or played a clever pass inside.

It's always the last performance that sticks in people's minds and while yes he's not been anywhere near his best in the last 2-3 games, to suggest he's not good enough is crazy.

https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/detail/aaron-wan-bissaka-man-utd-assists-v-newcastle-and-chelsea#

romufc

People have extremely short memories, just these 2 assists alone show he's plenty capable on the ball. His link up play has been good for most of the season, I can remember plenty of occasions he's played some nice 1-2's and burst into the box or played a clever pass inside.

It's always the last performance that sticks in people's minds and while yes he's not been anywhere near his best in the last 2-3 games, to suggest he's not good enough is crazy.

https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/detail/aaron-wan-bissaka-man-utd-assists-v-newcastle-and-chelsea#

It might also be worth noting this is only his second season, playing with better players in the last few months will improve him.

As a fan group, we create a bigger issue than necessary.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

It's easy to go back and look and guess what? You're wrong. I did say it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Well said. He’s been very poor - in attack and defence - in our most recent games but his attacking play has come on a lot this season. Only some very tight offsides away from more assists than he has.

roonster09

Scout

He is good, you don't complete as many dribbles as him if you are not good on the ball, obviously he has weakness too, his passing is erratic and he isn't high volume crosser but only 2 RBs(minimum 15 games) completed more dribbles per 90 mins than AWB. Also more often than not, he looks like he will fall down when he has ball.

Last season no FB completed more dribbles per 90 mins than AWB. AWB, Masuaku, Ricardo Pereira all completed 1.8 dribbles per 90 mins. AWB and Masuaku had better success rate.

0le

Good decision to rest him, but with hindsight perhaps he should have been rested earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.