Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcking

No he wasn't "practically shut down his right side while effectively being a winger". He didn't shut down that right side (tormented by Zaha, and that 2nd goal), and he wasn't an effective winger also (didn't contribute much on attack). And that with Palace being defensive all game especially after their goal. Once at the end they attack, it was a goal on his side.
The second goal was from a counter-attack. He did well to stop Zaha in his tracks.

criticalanalysis

No he wasn't "practically shut down his right side while effectively being a winger". He didn't shut down that right side (tormented by Zaha, and that 2nd goal), and he wasn't an effective winger also (didn't contribute much on attack). And that with Palace being defensive all game especially after their goal. Once at the end they attack, it was a goal on his side.
The only times he was troubled was when we lost the ball in transition i.e when he's chasing back.

I said effectively a winger meaning his position was high up on their half.

As for the goal you might want to look at what Lindelof was doing in that whole phase where he was two-on-one.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Zaha owned him a few times but to be fair that can happen to each defender. Still confident that he will come good in the long run but he needs to work on his footballing abilities going forward. Some of his touches have a bit of a Fellaini feeling...

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Need to improve a lot in the attacking phase of the game. A fullback that can't attack is even more useless than a fullback which can't defend for a team like us.

jesperjaap

He really needs to improve going forward otherwise this will be a position we need to upgrade on in a few years.

He’s a good defender but that’s not enough. I actually think he’d do well as a ball winner in a 433.
Wow, so he has been superb every game for us, then has one average game and you think he may need upgrading in a few years, what absolute nonsense.

jesperjaap

He is a very good athlete and a solid defender but holy the amount of times I've seen him referred as the 'best defensive full back in Europe' and 'best tackler in the world' after a few games - total delusion.

Needs to improve a LOT technically and he has to improve his composure and decision making, which of course will come with time and good coaching. I just hope he doesn't get poor coaching and his confidence destroyed by our insanely poor management of young talent (baptism by fire -> no coaching -> no improvement -> hated by entire fanbase) but with our non existent coaching I worry.
He is a young player with 18months experience just starting at a big club, so of course yes there is a lot he needs to improve on technically and end product going forward......but he has been one of the best defensive full backs in Europe over the last 18months and his tackling has been exceptional....so the best in Europe or the world, no, but he rightly deserves to be in the mix for such praise defensively because he has been that good.

People were questioning him before we signed him and now after one game are doing so again. Have no doubts at all myself, we have made an absolutely fantastic signing in Bissaka who will bar injury have a fantasic career here individually at least

Bwuk

Wow, so he has been superb every game for us, then has one average game and you think he may need upgrading in a few years, what absolute nonsense.
He’s a very good defender, I just worry about his attacking contributions. The modern game requires fullbacks who can attack.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Zaha owned him a few times but to be fair that can happen to each defender. Still confident that he will come good in the long run but he needs to work on his footballing abilities going forward. Some of his touches have a bit of a Fellaini feeling...
Can't remember Zaha owning him. Zaha did own Young though.

Mickson

Can't remember Zaha owning him. Zaha did own Young though.
He did it one time at least. But that's not a big deal, Zaha is probably the best in 1vs1 in the whole league. AWB is brilliant defensively but I'm afraid he's not very good going forward. Of course, he will improve to some degree but can't really see him becoming Dani Alves. He will always be quite limited going forward but that will be okay as long as he is a monster defensively.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I feel he may become a CB in the future, especially if you have a manager at some point who plays a back three.

I've already said this but he reminds me of what Azpi was in his prime, unreal 1 on 1 defender (will grow to one of the best around in that regard if he isn't there already) but a bit awkward going forward and that can be a problem in the modern game that relies heavily on fullbacks attacking abilities (even when Azpi was in his complete pomp he was critisized for his lack of forward play), Liverpool the main proof of that, without Trent and Robertson they lose atleast 10 points a season.

I guess another option would be to sign an attacking fullback and rotate both depending on opponent (for example said attacking fullback is the better option against teams like Palace who park a jumbo jet) and will also give a option to go back three with a wingback and AWB playing RCB.

All in all though £50m is a very sound investment given his strengths and likely longevity.

Bwuk

I feel he may become a CB in the future, especially if you have a manager at some point who plays a back three.

I've already said this but he reminds me of what Azpi was in his prime, unreal 1 on 1 defender (will grow to one of the best around in that regard if he isn't there already) but a bit awkward going forward and that can be a problem in the modern game that relies heavily on fullbacks attacking abilities (even when Azpi was in his complete pomp he was critisized for his lack of forward play), Liverpool the main proof of that, without Trent and Robertson they lose atleast 10 points a season.

I guess another option would be to sign an attacking fullback and rotate both depending on opponent (for example said attacking fullback is the better option against teams like Palace who park a jumbo jet) and will also give a option to go back three with a wingback and AWB playing RCB.

All in all though £50m is a very sound investment given his strengths and likely longevity.
Think this is a fair post, although Azpi was better going forward than AWB is atm.

I wouldn’t even be against going 343. It’d eliminate some of the squads weaknesses.

De Gea
AWB - Maguire - Lindelof
Dalot - McTominay - Pogba - Young
Rashford - Martial - James​

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's definitely a fullback in the mould of Azpilicueta. Sagna (peak Arsenal) is another comparison that would be quite fair.

SambaBoy

Been solid so far. I don't think attacking comes naturally to AWB. He seems to slow it down too much before committing to anything and his dribbling isn't the best. Hopefully it's something he can improve on.

Haven't got the excitement from him that I did when Shaw joined and started playing, however we all know how that has turned out thus far.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

For a defender that’s supposedly poor at going forward, Azpilicueta probably has one of the most dangerous crosses seen from a fullback in premier league history.

Southampton 1:1 Man Utd

Andersons Dietician

His ability to recover or get a foot in is pretty much unmatched by anything I’ve ever seen but he was sloppy today and gave the ball away in dangerous positions at the start of the game a few times. What was with the just jogging back when caught out of position? Other fullbacks would get slaughtered for such mistakes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Defensively superb. I fear for what we'd look like without him and Maguire back there.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Modern day fullback has to offer more for a big club. Smaller teams will defend deep and your fullbacks will get a lot of space. He is solid defending.....but poor going forward and we will see more team being comfortable with letting him have the ball

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Modern day fullback has to offer more for a big club. Smaller teams will defend deep and your fullbacks will get a lot of space. He is solid defending.....but poor going forward and we will see more team being comfortable with letting him have the ball
Modern teams have been doing that for at least two decades - defending deep and giving space to the weakest players on the ball. And yet in the list of CL finalists over the last 10 or so years you'll find Brown, Puyol, Chivu, Abidal, Juanfran, Nacho, Schmelzer, Badstuber...all defensive fullbacks. I get that people are now starting to think football in the 90s was a totally different ball game, but you can't seriously believe that the fundamentals of the game have changed so much in just 5 years? It's a trend, not a rule. And the same tactics these teams employed to overcome those challenges are as applicable now as they were then.

el3mel

I think he's developing to what we'll thought of and predicted. Absolute rock in defense but useless going forward.

Good edition, but I think we'll need to balance this next season by bringing an offensive LB on the other side or something.

kundalini

The usual million tackles, though Soton did get in a few crosses from his side. A couple of good crosses in the 2nd half and had a big chance to score in the first half from McTominay's cross. Very careless in possession and when taking throw-ins.

Sylar

He put in some really good crosses today I thought into great areas. But our strikers just dont gamble. If we had Aguero or Kane he would have a few assists

Denis79

Love him but he needs to improve his skills on the ball. Fantastic in defence though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
His crossing wasn't bad at all and he's willing to get up the pitch, he just too often lacks composure when he's shooting or playing the final ball. I hope we can all agree he's right at the bottom of our list of problems, I'd start him every week.

el3mel

His crossing wasn't bad at all and he's willing to get up the pitch, he just too often lacks composure when he's shooting or playing the final ball. I hope we can all agree he's right at the bottom of our list of problems, I'd start him every week.
He's not even a problem. I'm sure he'll be our main RB for the next few years. Though we'll need to get a very offensive LB and a very good RB to balance the pitch imo. Having Lingard in front of him and Shaw/Young on the left alongside AWB affect us a bit from the flanks.

Stadjer

I think he's developing to what we'll thought of and predicted. Absolute rock in defense but useless going forward.

Good edition, but I think we'll need to balance this next season by bringing an offensive LB on the other side or something.
Useless going forward is such an overreaction. He isnt Dani Alves but he isnt bad when going forward.

Had some decent crosses today and should have gotten an assist last week but instead Lingard decided to shoot with his knee.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He's not even a problem. I'm sure he'll be our main RB for the next few years. Though we'll need to get a very offensive LB and a very good RB to balance the pitch imo. Having Lingard in front of him and Shaw/Young on the left alongside AWB affect us a bit from the flanks.
Yeah at the bottom as in not at all a problem, agree too the players in front of him and alongside him will cause more strife than him.

Devil may care

No one was more vocal about the issues with the attacking side of his game than me, I think so far when he's gotten a chance he's put some decent balls in, the challenge now is to get in positions to put crosses in more regularly. Defensively he was good again.

Baneofthegame

He actually played some good balls in today, one in particular right across the 6 yard box and Rashford just basically stood still.

Good defensively again.

NemanjaWhoah

Thought he was alright in the final third to be honest and brilliant as ever at winning the ball back.

Gave away the ball in our half a couple of times in the first half but I don't even think it was his fault. Every time we tried to play out from the back it would go De Gea to Lindelof to AWB (with a man on him) who then had no one to pass to - what is he supposed to do?

Reactions: golden_blunder

The United

He needs to improve short passing. He is pretty decent at other things at 21.

A-man

He needs to improve short passing. He is pretty decent at other things at 21.
His short passes were terrible today but has looked better before so don't think it is anything to worry about.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I have voted him MOTM for all our games. At 21 years old, he obviously is not perfect and is still improving, but he does his job better than the rest of our players do theirs.

meninred

I didnot know he played that well in all our games.I thought he has a lot of work to do.

AFC NimbleThumb

AwB & Maguire are the only positions I’m not worried about in our current team, no question marks he will succeed.

If only we’d have made 2/3 more signings of this ilk.

Red_toad

Our wide players put the ball into dangerous areas in the box so many times, yet our forwards showed no anticipation nor willingness to run into those areas. If Ole and the coaches can enable more movement in the box from our attackers, then our wide players will suddenly look far better. Wan Bissaka looks a solid addition to the team so far, long may it continue.

LLMU

If he has a proper right winger in front of him , it would be great. Defensively he is excellent. It is the going forward part that needs improvement and his crossing technique is just hit or miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.