6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Like I said before Bissaka had no reason to drift inside like a centre back. Young wasn’t even doing the same thing. If Bissaka isn’t in the situation of watching his man then that’s where he needs to communicate with other to cover it. Which is why I said both Pereira & Bissaka need to share the blame for the cross to even happened.
AWB is a right back, not a wing back. A wing back stays wider, a full back gets tighter to his centre back and expects the winger to cover the wide space. Moving to a back 3 in a game like that has its advantages but it's to be expected that players will occasionally be caught out of position.

The fault for the goal lies far more on the players who let the ball run through to an unmarked Llallana.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
AWB is a right back, not a wing back. A wing back stays wider, a full back gets tighter to his centre back and expects the winger to cover the wide space. Moving to a back 3 in a game like that has its advantages but it's to be expected that players will occasionally be caught out of position.

The fault for the goal lies far more on the players who let the ball run through to an unmarked Llallana.
First of all he’s playing in a wing back role yesterday. Second, we have no wide player yesterday, we played with 3 CB and 3 midfield in 2nd half, if there is a player that Bissaka should be in his watch is Robertson. If he has to drift inside to cover for something else then it’s his job to communicate with Pereira that Robertson is your man. Even Gary Neville in the post match said Bissaka got himself confused for his role yesterday with him indicate a possibility of formation changed for the reason.

This is not just about the goal. Robertson should not be getting a lot of space & time to even deliver the ball and he was getting too much space & time yesterday in 2nd half.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
First of all he’s playing in a wing back role yesterday. Second, we have no wide player yesterday, we played with 3 CB and 3 midfield in 2nd half, if there is a player that Bissaka should be in his watch is Robertson. If he has to drift inside to cover for something else then it’s his job to communicate with Pereira that Robertson is your man. Even Gary Neville in the post match said Bissaka got himself confused for his role yesterday with him indicate a possibility of formation changed for the reason.

This is not just about the goal. Robertson should not be getting a lot of space & time to even deliver the ball and he was getting too much space & time yesterday in 2nd half.
There seemed to be a tactical change which led to him tucking in whilst defending later in the game

That's what i mean. It's the first time he's played that position, he's still young, and its against the runaway league leaders. He is obviously not going to be perfect in his positioning. In playing 3 at the back we gamble that the extra centre back offsets the occasional confusion from a new formation. All 3 centre backs watched the ball trundle past them to the back post.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's what i mean. It's the first time he's played that position, he's still young, and its against the runaway league leaders. He is obviously not going to be perfect in his positioning. In playing 3 at the back we gamble that the extra centre back offsets the occasional confusion from a new formation. All 3 centre backs watched the ball trundle past them to the back post.
So what's the issue with a criticism for something that he needs to learn and also to improve?

romufc

I think if you watched the match you would have seen us go to a 5-4-1 formation in the last 10 where James moved to left and Perreira right which meant Perreira was to deal with the cross.

How can you blame a full back for letting in a Poor cross from the full back? the ball bounced twice before getting to a UNMARKED Lallana.

So what's the issue with a criticism for something that he needs to learn and also to improve?
Just explaining that its going to happen, to any player who is moved into an unfamiliar position. At this level they're playing on instinct and muscle memory so small changes do affect them. It's on the whole team to cover each other. You can't just hang AWB out to dry because he did what hes spent his whole life learning to do, tucking in next to his CB.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just explaining that its going to happen, to any player who is moved into an unfamiliar position. At this level they're playing on instinct and muscle memory so small changes do affect them. It's on the whole team to cover each other. You can't just hang AWB out to dry because he did what hes spent his whole life learning to do, tucking in next to his CB.
How did you even come out to that?

This was my original post. It's a simple post which indicates that AWB has something to learn & improve. Some people in here just can't accept some criticism so they are making it big deal of a simple comment.

So many times Robertson was getting a lot of space.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think if you watched the match you would have seen us go to a 5-4-1 formation in the last 10 where James moved to left and Perreira right which meant Perreira was to deal with the cross.

How can you blame a full back for letting in a Poor cross from the full back? the ball bounced twice before getting to a UNMARKED Lallana.
I was saying that Robertson was getting a lot of space many times in 2nd half. This is not just about the goal or even last 10 min. The blame should be shared on Pereira & AWB who should have done better to deal with Robertson in the whole 45 mins of 2nd half. It's not just me single out one player here.

The cross itself is a low cross which is not easy to defend.

Last edited:

Irwin99

A few moments of real sloppiness and some poor passes. Great tackle and skill for Lingard's chance though.

Doesn't look 100% still.

FerociousCorgis

i mean we all agree he is incredible strong defensively, but just so limited going forward. Needs to improve on that immensely or runs the risk of being just a slightly better english darmian.

pascell

Probably get shot down for this but he's at his best when he's got a winger to play 1vs1 against. When we play him as a wing back and the space behind him is covered with a 3rd CB, he isn't as good as he cant make the slide tackles which are strongest point as a defender, within confined spaces he cannot do this.

LJJT

Think today and Sunday he wasn’t that great to be honest. Agree with the above he’s best 1 vs 1 defending against a winger. He’s got great potential but he’s far from finished article he needs to watch some G Nev and learn how and when to get forward and deliver a ball

thomas porter

He isn't a wing back and probably never will be. Dalot would be better in this role than AWB right now as he's much better going forward.

I doubt we persist with the 352 for very long but its clear AWB has work to do to improve his attacking play.

Zoo

Lovely feet to set up Lingard’s shot that struck the post.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Loads pointed out that he is very lacking in the attacking third before we signed him and that's what you need from a modern full back. He won't be a poor signing but he'll always leave us wanting more.

Bwuk

Probably get shot down for this but he's at his best when he's got a winger to play 1vs1 against. When we play him as a wing back and the space behind him is covered with a 3rd CB, he isn't as good as he cant make the slide tackles which are strongest point as a defender, within confined spaces he cannot do this.
No your spot on I’d imagine most will agree.

I actually think AWB would make a good DM. It won’t happen but I think he’d be great there.

Considering how important attacking full backs are nowadays I do worry about his long term viability.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If Ole is stupidly sticking with the 352 then I don’t see a space in the team for Wan Bissaka.

Spends £50 million on a top class right back and then plays him out of position. Absolutely ridiculous.

Needham

I actually think AWB would make a good DM. It won’t happen but I think he’d be great there.

Considering how important attacking full backs are nowadays I do worry about his long term viability.
You mean Kanteize him? You're a bold motherfecker

dbs235

Never a wing back. If we are going to stick with the back 3 I’d rather he was part of the 3.
Probably is a better position for him. He's a tank defensivley and would have no attacking responsibility. Almost seems too easy a solution...

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Look how Pep on several occasions have used his fullbacks. His teams are often set up in a 433, but in fact they play something like a 3223; Kyle Walker part of the back three and Zinchenco tucked inside with Fernandinho infront of the back three. That is why the City fullbacks dont create as much as the Liverpool fullbacks. They do not get the same attacking responsiblity/freedom. But by setting up this way they get five players protecting the most important area of the pitch. They also provide a lot of freedom (and cover if they lose the ball!) for KdB and David Silva. Here is a good article about it.

Man Utd could do something similiar and tuck AWB inside infront of a back three. It would give him more opportunity to roam around infront of the back three. It would also give Pogba and similar players protections if they lose the ball.

SER19

Loads pointed out that he is very lacking in the attacking third before we signed him and that's what you need from a modern full back. He won't be a poor signing but he'll always leave us wanting more.
I think he could develop into a really good attacking full back. Just not in our current team the way we're playing. Messi would look blunt with us.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
What's all the fuzz about his lack of attacking contribution? We all know that was one of his weaknesses way before he signed, but his positives are still better than the negatives. In the end of the day he's being paid to bring more solutions to the defense and he's delivering overall.

He will gain confidence and become a decent attacking support player to provide short passing options or 12 situations, but don't ask him to become a Cafú, because that ain't gonna happen.

pascell

Yeah he needs to definitely improve in the attacking department and his positioning also. He's still young enough to get to grips with the attacking side and I'd imagine if we trained the phases of play enough then he'd pick it up quickly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This guy is so damn good :drool:

his link up play and attacking work is improving so much too. By next year he’s going to be a real threat IMO.

defensively though he’s just so solid. So many class tackles today.

luke511

I don't think I've ever seen a player as good as this guy at tackling.

Status
Not open for further replies.