Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
Or you know like United when we were winning titles. Evra and Irwing were great going forward, Neville had an amazing cross on him and always found a way at being in the right position to cross. Even Rafael in our two last title campaigns was a constant threat going forward.

AWB is nowhere near that level. Time will tell if being great at defending but useless in the other parts of the game will be enough. I predict that he will get Shaw's treatment in two years or so.
Funny thing is Shaw's actually much better on the ball, and was definitely far more promising going forward when he played for Southampton.

Revan

Assumptionman
Funny thing is Shaw's actually much better on the ball, and was definitely far more promising going forward when he played for Southampton.
Not sure about the second point. I think he made his first ever assist last season or so (also his first ever goal). He is definitely better at making those runs with the ball though.

Greck

What exactly do people mean when they say "going forward" he is bad? Is it because he doesn't try to drible his way through against an organised defence? To me Evra was not the most effective going forward stats wise, he played in a great team, was an attacking fullback, yet didn't always contribute with goals and assist. The thing that he always did do was contribute with movement, and he made himself available in the offensive play. Now Bissaka isn't the same player as Evra, far from it, but I wonder how effective Evra would be in this team. He wouldn't. He would be isolated with no creativity around him, expected to drible and cross, and guess what nobody would be in the box.

I've seen Wan-Bissaka play himself out of pressure in situations, with quick passes and transition it into an attack, I've seen him put in good crosses, and I've seen him pass between the lines to the striker and even through-balls into space for James. While he isn't doing these things consistently, our team aren't really making it easy for him to do so. He has been great defensively and shown good potential offensively at worst, imo. He makes himself available offensively, it is just that not much come of our established play. If he does a quick one-two and passes it to Lingard who loses the ball, or Pereira who's shot is blocked or Mata who passes it back, that is not on him imo.
You haven't done him any favours bringing Evra into this. Without slagging off AWB Evra was in another stratosphere on the ball. His dribbling ability meant he frequently made penetrating runs and although his crossing was below average his passing was great. He had no problems being closed down and you always knew he was going to combine with another player to work the ball out of any press.

Poor from you to bring him into this and yes I know you weren't directly comparing them

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You haven't done him any favours bringing Evra into this. Without slagging off AWB Evra was in another stratosphere on the ball. His dribbling ability meant he frequently made penetrating runs and although his crossing was below average his passing was great. He had no problems being closed down and you always knew he was going to combine with another player to work the ball out of any press.

Poor from you to bring him into this and yes I know you weren't directly comparing them
You don't think that the player that usually was combining with Evra, was a tad bit better than our current midfielders now combining with AWB? I would also like to add that Evra wasn't the same player at the age of Wan-Bissaka. As you said, point wasn't to compare them. Why go there? Clearly my arguments are there to demonstrates how unnecessary it is to be criticising his current output, assisting and goalscoring rate. If you're going to judge his offensive capabilities, consider my points about Evra's style offensively and see how it applies to more of a defensive fullback in Wan-Bissaka. That way, you're expectations of what he offers can be judged on a different metric, than just blaming him for our lack of good offensive play like in about every other player thread in here.

Greck

You don't think that the player that usually was combining with Evra, was a tad bit better than our current midfielders now combining with AWB? I would also like to add that Evra wasn't the same player at the age of Wan-Bissaka. As you said, point wasn't to compare them. Why go there? Clearly my arguments are there to demonstrates how unnecessary it is to be criticising his current output, assisting and goalscoring rate. If you're going to judge his offensive capabilities, consider my points about Evra's style offensively and see how it applies to more of a defensive fullback in Wan-Bissaka. That way, you're expectations of what he offers can be judged on a different metric, than just blaming him for our lack of good offensive play like in about every other player thread in here.
Evra's ability would stand in any midfield. That's the point. He wasn't a system player who was affected by his midfield partners, he could dribble and drive the ball into the middle and out from the back. He started so many counters because of it. What makes it poor bringing Evra into it is it hurts not helps AWB's case. Aesthetically AWB's style of attack is closer to Lukaku in technical ability than it is to Evra

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Evra's ability would stand in any midfield. That's the point. He wasn't a system player who was affected by his midfield partners, he could dribble and drive the ball into the middle and out from the back. He started so many counters because of it. What makes it poor bringing Evra into it is it hurts not helps AWB's case. Aesthetically AWB's style of attack is closer to Lukaku in technical ability than it is to Evra
Might be your point, not mine. As I said, you already acknowledged I didn't compare them, yet you seem to do exactly that yourself.

Greck

Might be your point, not mine. As I said, you already acknowledged I didn't compare them, yet you seem to do exactly that yourself.
In case youre still missing it, point is a talented fullback will look good to competent even in a bad team. I might even stretch that to any talented wide player

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
In case youre still missing it, point is a talented fullback will look good to competent even in a bad team. I might even stretch that to any talented wide player
Good to know that your point was an universal truth of sorts. AWB is a good right back, no Evra as of yet but very good and everyone sees that, and if an attacking player will struggle to create offensively in this team, certainly a defensive fullback would too. Just something to keep in mind is all, because I know that when fans get something in their head its hard to change it. He'll most likely improve a lot offensively, but by the time that happen there will be so many opinionated agendas around they'll be blind to the improvements. ;)

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Half these posters would say no to Zanetti if offered because he doesn't run like Robertson.
Pretty bad example.

Zanetti's physical fitness was through the roof, the gold standard in those terms on top of all the other qualities (both defensive and attacking). The man could have probably covered both flanks at the same time in his peak if you asked him too.

Man Utd 3:0 Partizan

MrBest

He is getting better at delivering crosses. Looks like he is getting more comfortable running up and down the right. Still lots of work to do though.

ash_86

He was constantly in opponents half linking up well with Greenwood. Long may it continue

Untd55

He is demonstrating his defensive brilliance again this season. It definitely was not a one-off thing last season.

Positioned third in the Premier League for tackles made with 47 tackles already this season, with only Ndidi and Pereira (Leicester, not ours) having higher numbers. In comparison, our top tackler last season was Shaw with 55.

He needs to improve attack-wise, though he is pretty good at dribbling. It will help if we can improve midfield and, potentially, a top-class right-winger.

zenith

He'll keep on improving offensively with time. The more familiar he gets with the team, the better he'll be.

For now, he's a defensive wall and that's great for our defence.

Oldyella

We finally have a functioning right hand side between him and James. Feels weird saying so after all these years.

Based Adnan

Would be so demotivating being a left winger and knowing you've got 90 mins vs this guy

Ollie Derbyshire

For those saying he brings nothing going forwards, we bought him for his defensive ability which he is consistently showing every game. One of the clubs best recent buys easily. Needs some time to work on his attacking side of the game but I think he’s improving that all the time.

bdecuc

This guy has improved our defence so much. He pretty much shuts down any left sided opponent trying to take him on. And he brings energy and covers the ground quickly.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I feel so much more confident in our back line when he's there. The right side with him and James looks good.

LVGSdive

Would be so demotivating being a left winger and knowing you've got 90 mins vs this guy
You have to play unselfishly for the team. Make runs to preocupy Wall-Bissaka because one on one he is as good as I have ever seen.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Not the best on the ball but I think his defending makes up for it and you can just look to bring more ball-playing quality into the midfield. Thuram wasn’t amazing on the ball but always did fine at full back.

Ibi Dreams

I've seen him play some good passes and crosses into the box, I'm not that worried that he doesn't have any goals or assists yet. Some of our actual attacking players barely have any, either.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I've seen him play some good passes and crosses into the box, I'm not that worried that he doesn't have any goals or assists yet. Some of our actual attacking players barely have any, either.
Exactly. Also for the second goal, I think he played the pass to James. The pass that Young was trying ever since Ole took over.

Roberto420

Yeah we know he can't attack.
And how exactly is it nonsense? The teams at the top have fullbacks who can attack and defend.
How many assists does he have? even Everton have fullbacks who contribute to attack, but nah them stats are nonsense all that matters are tackles.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
And how exactly is it nonsense? The teams at the top have fullbacks who can attack and defend.
How many assists does he have? even Everton have fullbacks who contribute to attack, but nah them stats are nonsense all that matters are tackles.
Well yes he can attack. We’ve seen enough of it to say that with absolute confidence. It might not be as good at it as TAA or Robertson, but then again he’s also a helluva lot better defending than they are. Hipsters might hate it but defending is still pretty important for a defender.

Statistically, our fullbacks have all struggled to find assists for years. That’s as much to do with tactics and personnel elsewhere, as it is to do with their own ability. He certainly has big improvements to make in that department, but let’s not pretend it’s like we are playing Phil Jones at full back.

Roberto420

Well yes he can attack. We’ve seen enough of it to say that with absolute confidence. It might not be as good at it as TAA or Robertson, but then again he’s also a helluva lot better defending than they are. Hipsters might hate it but defending is still pretty important for a defender.

Statistically, our fullbacks have all struggled to find assists for years. That’s as much to do with tactics and personnel elsewhere, as it is to do with their own ability. He certainly has big improvements to make in that department, but let’s not pretend it’s like we are playing Phil Jones at full back.
There's no denying he's a quality full back and has improved our defence but I remember when we had fullbacks who could do both attack and defend maybe thats too much to ask for a 50m signing.
Funny you mention Taa and Robertson who cost 8 million combined.

roonster09

Scout
Attack doesn't mean just assists and crosses. Obviously he isn't as good as the best FBs like Robertson, TAA but he contributes well enough in the other third. Links the play, carries the ball and then passes to the attacker. He need to improve his crossing, or at least the quantity of crosses as the rare occasion when he puts in a cross, those are usually good ones.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
There's no denying he's a quality full back and has improved our defence but I remember when we had fullbacks who could do both attack and defend maybe thats too much to ask for a 50m signing.
Funny you mention Taa and Robertson who cost 8 million combined.
Stop living in the past. Expecting our fullbacks to perform the same as their predecessors who played in quite possibly the best team ever to grace English football is asking for punishment. Put TAA in a dysfunctional side and you think he'd be producing anything like he is at Liverpool? I imagine he'd probably be getting pelters because his lack of defensive ability would be getting repeatedly exposed.

They could've cost a bag of crisps, that doesn't make him a comparatively worse full back. Who would you have signed for £8m that would've been better than AWB?

Thiagoal

There’s more than one way for teams to play football! I know the hipster ideal at the moment is for the fullbacks to be attacking play makers but having a rock steady defensive full back also means that there’s less emphasis on the attacking players to track back and cover the right hand side!

In all my years watching football I have never witnessed a player tackle so cleanly and be so difficult to beat!

roonster09

Scout
There’s more than one way for teams to play football! I know the hipster ideal at the moment is for the fullbacks to be attacking play makers but having a rock steady defensive full back also means that there’s less emphasis on the attacking players to track back and cover the right hand side!

In all my years watching football I have never witnessed a player tackle so cleanly and be so difficult to beat!
Also it's not like he is some completely useless player in the attack, he links up play well. His weakness is crossing, he crosses well but doesn't attempt many.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He has actually been ok going forward. His passing is good he just needs to be lass passive on taking on the opposition fullback

andy dufresne

He has been a good signing for us and let's face it,we did need a decent full back after Valencia left.I like the lad,he is a good tackler and has pace and he looks like playing for United and being in that constant media spotlight is not going to phase him at all.I do worry about him defensively in as much as that he feels because his powers of recovery are so good,if he makes a mistake or error,he can pretty much always correct it and put it right.Sadly,this is not the case.I would much rather my defender made fewer errors in the first place and was just what I call "steady away" and reliable in say, the Denis Irwin mode.

mu4c_20le

He has actually been ok going forward. His passing is good he just needs to be lass passive on taking on the opposition fullback
Yep, he's got a great engine so he's constantly involved in the final third when we are breaking down the opposition, and can easily sprint back to defend. He'll eventually learn to make the right decisions in terms of when to pass and when to dribble, he will never cross like TAA but that doesnt mean he can still be effective in attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.