Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmanNits04

He is obviously immense while defending, I feel he is really good at body feints and manoeuvring his way, there was one moment in the previous match where his was running with the ball towards he own goal and with just one move he tricked the opponent and got into a good position.
It's his first season here, obviously United as a club needs more from their full back than just defending, but his attacking will definitely improve. Also, the more number of games James and AWB start on the right the better understanding they will have. Once that understanding develops, I feel AWB will start attacking more and more

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There’s more than one way for teams to play football! I know the hipster ideal at the moment is for the fullbacks to be attacking play makers but having a rock steady defensive full back also means that there’s less emphasis on the attacking players to track back and cover the right hand side!

In all my years watching football I have never witnessed a player tackle so cleanly and be so difficult to beat!
I was halfway through typing "there’s more than one way for teams to play football" too, I couldn't agree more. People's fears would be justified if we weren't doing anything down the right hand side but thanks to James we're actually creating moves from the right wing regardless of AWB's attacking input (which, for the record, I think is massively overstated anyway) his link up has been fine so far, it'll improve with experience and as his partnership with James grows. We finally have an indisputably quality player and people still can only focus on his weaknesses instead of just enjoying the player we do have, he's only 21 so he's not even close to the finished article yet.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For me if there was a problem it would be with his passing and ability to carry the ball, he is average/below average at both and sometimes seems to doubt himself too much which allows the opponents to close him down or the target of his passes. I see him as a player similar to Azpilicueta or Hernandez, neither are better technicians but they are both more confident in their abilities and they both bring that fiery attitude, that's what AWB needs to do. He doesn't have to be the reincarnation of Marcelo or Dani Alves, we can easily compensate by having a very attacking right winger/inside forward and overload the left wing and center.

RooneyLegend

Outside of 1 on 1 defending he's rank average. Amazing how we pay these fees for players like this.

dal

I seriously think he’d make an outstanding central defensive partnership with maguire, he’s brilliant on one and ones composed fast passes well and maguire is basically the same but even more composed

I’d love for him to be tried there and Dalot given a run on the right.

I actually think James would be a brilliant modern right back also, rapid great energy and has a great cross. City would use him as a full back as would Liverpool.

However we don’t have the quality in attack to try that yet

AFC NimbleThumb

I seriously think he’d make an outstanding central defensive partnership with maguire, he’s brilliant on one and ones composed fast passes well and maguire is basically the same but even more composed

I actually think James would be a brilliant modern right back also, rapid great energy and has a great cross. City would use him as a full back as would Liverpool.

Welcome to RedCafe, a place where users want you to play in any bloody position than the one you were signed for.

Dan James at RB, I’ve seen it all now.

SAFMUTD

I agree with most here I think he is a really impressive defender but is bang average going forward, obviously the dream is to have Marcelo like backwings but if I had to choose I preffer wingbacks that are great defensively and average attacking rather than great attacking and average defending.

In a back four system their main job is to defend, the width must be provided mostly by wingers, the problem is our right side is practically toothless between having a wingback that is average at attack and improvising players out of position to play on the right wing.

dal

Dan James would be a brilliant attacking fullback just needs to hit the weights room

ColvaleGoa

Watching TAA for England and can see he is a very good passer of the ball but boy he is not a good defender. Is it just me ? No way is he, as good a defender than AWB. He will be targeted at Euros if he starts against the better opposition.

tomaldinho1

This is 100% a 2nd account for someone who has come to wum

luke511

Tell me another part of his game that's good.
"Amazing how we pay these fees for players like this" He's been one of our best performers this season. He's a tidy player in tight spaces, can play the right pass and generally play good football. Along with the fact he's one of the best tacklers in Europe statistically and secures that side of the field.

He definitely doesn't deserve his signature being questioned, pure stupidity.

RooneyLegend

His primary job, as a defender, is to defend. He's very good at it. Stop moaning about feck all.
"Amazing how we pay these fees for players like this" He's been one of our best performers this season. He's a tidy player in tight spaces, can play the right pass and generally play good football. Along with the fact he's one of the best tacklers in Europe statistically and secures that side of the field.

He definitely doesn't deserve his signature being questioned, pure stupidity.
We'll agree to disagree on him being tidy and being able to pass. Being one of our best performers isn't saying much, we're in midtable ffs.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Dan James would be a brilliant attacking fullback just needs to hit the weights room
He has the potential to be a better goal threat, he'd get exposed defending in big games or when teams try to pin him back. He does great damage where he is, no need to change that.

Also AWB is doing a great job, plenty of teams have won titles with defensive fullbacks, let's not try to rewrite history in this thread. He is the least of our worries and he's been great so far. And for that matter he's still young enough to develop his final ball like Neville did and it does seem like he's improving on that front. He delivered a couple great crosses against Brighton.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For me if there was a problem it would be with his passing and ability to carry the ball, he is average/below average at both and sometimes seems to doubt himself too much which allows the opponents to close him down or the target of his passes. I see him as a player similar to Azpilicueta or Hernandez, neither are better technicians but they are both more confident in their abilities and they both bring that fiery attitude, that's what AWB needs to do. He doesn't have to be the reincarnation of Marcelo or Dani Alves, we can easily compensate by having a very attacking right winger/inside forward and overload the left wing and center.
Yes. His technical ability is actually quite good. And obviously he's quick. However he doesn't have that A) strong passing/delivery in the final third and possibly as a result of the A), B) he lacks confidence and decisiveness in his actions in attack. He does the exact same thing that Valencia did where he allows the opposition to suss out his next move and hence has to think 5 times before making up his mind, usually going for the safe option. And we can't have that happening for the next decade. So we need help him improve in this regard in a big manner.

ManuMou

Regarding his “lack of attacking” ability, I feel like he doesn’t attempt much of them? Occasionally he does put in one cross or two, and those crosses were not bad, at least so much better than those attempted by Ashley Young?

I didn’t watch his times at Crystal Palace. What was his attacking like?

What’s the reason of him not attempting more attacks? Ole’s instruction or is he just being himself that he doesn’t attack much?

Renegade

He doesn’t necessarily have to have great delivery, he just needs to be able to be a threat down that side. Evra’s delivery wasn’t fantastic but he provided great threat and danger down that side the time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He has won 70 tackles in all competitions this season, next best for ManUtd is McTominay with 36.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Was he really a winger? Brown was a centerback for his whole life, and did much better attacking wise as RB than this former winger.

Bwuk

Really don’t see it with AWB. Good reactionary defender, but no other top sides put out full backs as weak on the ball as him. When he plays as a wingback it gets highlighted further.

zenith

He's surely not the guy to play as RWB. For that role, there is already a ready made player in dalot

Irwin99

Great tackler and fantastic recovery but I really hope he can go up a few gears in his attacking game and in his composure on the ball. I'm critical of Andreas for SU's second goal but the pass from AWB looked awkward to control and it was an easy pass to make.

Alfie092

If we are to play 5 at the back, then at this moment in time we should play someone more attacking like Dalot.

Love him defensively but is non-existent as an attacking threat. Hopeful this improves over time.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s basically Antonio Valencia (RB edition) with a dreaded ponytail and immense tackling ability.

MDFC Manager

He’s basically Antonio Valencia (RB edition) with a dreaded ponytail and immense tackling ability.
His tackling ability seems good for the highlights packages and YouTube compilations. Not sure they add 50m worth of actual defensive value over, say, Young.

kundalini

Had chance to score but went for the near post, saved by Heaton. Also a cross too close to their keeper.

This may be a bit harsh but on the replays I wondered if he might have been able to get his head to Grealish's shot for their first goal, had he been looking at the ball, rather than turning his head away.

Also he did a weird run, stop, start, for their goal that turned out to be offside. And managed to play Grealish onside for his big chance in the 2nd half.

Overall, a very poor performance.

Last edited:

HowYouDoin

Hes an NFL player in that he should be a part of a defensive unit, he would make a good cornerback but no way should he be a wide receiver. The problem is that in soccer you gotta play both ends of the pitch.

el3mel

We're playing minus 1 player while attacking thanks to him. I love him, but honestly if this keeps on it won't be a surprise seeing everyone turned on him come next season. He needs to improve offensively, plain and simple. Either than or switch him to a right CB then.

Aouer-United

Look like he has improved his attacking, to overlap and put for low crosses and put Martial on through goal.

Ibi Dreams

Had chance to score but went for the near post, saved by Heaton. Also a cross too close to their keeper.

This may be a bit harsh but on the replays I wondered if he might have been able to get his head to Grealish's shot for their first goal, had he been looking at the ball, rather than turning his head away.
His chance to score was slight, he received the ball at pace and just had to hit it. Getting it on target was a good effort. His cross was also decent, that cross and a few others in the match were wasted because players didn't make the right runs (or any runs) to get on to them

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Again had a couple of decent crosses and a couple of key passes. Contributed in the build up at times, and won the ball to sustain pressure. Better outlet from the back than Lindelof, Young and Shaw imo. I just wanted to write it in here since you just know the label about him doing feck all offensively will get repeated in here because we lost the game.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Valencia was much better in making runs into attacking positions and his passing in general play was much better. Of course his final ball into the box was terrible. That's one thing that AWB is better at - his delivery into the box is actually decent (nothing more) but he just doesn't get into those positions enough.

Bobski

There are times he just doesn't get his feet moving adeptly enough when Utd are trying to play out. People focus on his crossing and attacking output but I think the bigger problem with his current game is in the build up. Heard a few comparisons to Darmian but the Italian very rarely pushed himself into attacking position, an extremely conservative full back. AWB does provide an outlet, just needs to keep working on the technical side of his game.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I will wait another manager and then fully judge him but so far i am not happy. He is useless in attack. Like when you put central defender on full back.
Is it because of him or Ole's tactics, i can't say. But his technical ability is not good from what i see so far. He is so unnatural when he is on the ball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.