Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
James doesn't help him in all honesty. The fullback needs a winger to consistently link with. One that would take responsibility on the flank, draw some defenders to him, and open up space for the fullback. James is very weak physically, can't dribble, rarely squares up to a defender, and can only run with the ball. It means that Wan-bissaka rarely get the chance to get involved, because James can't get him in the game.
Yep and soon as Greenwood came on he instantly started to make runs even if he was knackered.

He goes from a fullback that sits back with no space to run to with space due to Greenwood cutting in with his left foot.

3KDré

He’s a 50m full back. He shouldn’t need to be coached basic positioning.

Williams is a much better footballer than any of the full backs at the club.
Unfortunately he didn’t decide his transfer fee. He was a winger before he was a fullback, I’m not sure he’s learnt how and when to overlap and underlap. He was playing for a team that primarily defends. It’s no surprise his best games for us were also in games where we primarily defended.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Funny how the tons of caf posters pointed out his lack of attacking ability and overall poor technique to be a full back at a club like United but the club still felt a 50m signing was the way too go.

People paid god knows how much get more wrong then internet scouts.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Glad to see him actively improving each game. Becoming more mobile, creative and confident on the ball. Great to see.

acnumber9

Funny how the tons of caf posters pointed out his lack of attacking ability and overall poor technique to be a full back at a club like United but the club still felt a 50m signing was the way too go.

People paid god knows how much get more wrong then internet scouts.
Tons of caf posters thought Mattel Darmian would be a great signing. Internet scouts are shite by and large.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Tons of caf posters thought Mattel Darmian would be a great signing. Internet scouts are shite by and large.
Oh, no doubt. But they're a bunch of nobodies getting it wrong. As opposed to those being paid to get it right.

mu4c_20le

We paid a bit more because he's young, British, and just came off a breakout season where his potential seemed limitless. He also has a great attitude and seems like a good fit for our club. I have no problems with his price, we were absolutely desperate to address the right back position as it has cost not only Ole but also previous managers countless times.

UmbroDays

He’s a 50m full back. He shouldn’t need to be coached basic positioning.

Williams is a much better footballer than any of the full backs at the club.
This is nonsense. James and AWB are early 20s and have never been to massive clubs such as United

With James playing means there is no need for an an overlap when he sprints down the line so quickly. Less speedier players yes.

No matter the price (which he did not decide), people can always be coached. That’s why there are coaches in football.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Glad to see him actively improving each game. Becoming more mobile, creative and confident on the ball. Great to see.
Did we watch same game? He was absymal with the ball last night. As was Shaw. Zero threat at all from either. A HUGE issue for this team.

AWB's saving grace is he's defending fairly well. Shaw isn't even doing that side of the game anymore.

Worst pair of offensive fullbacks I have seen watching United. Would rather we still had Buttner and Rafael than these two.

Amir

We're told Ole is an attacking coach, and yet he signed a full back with little attacking ability.

We're told he wants to play with a high defense line, and yet he signed a slow centerhalf.

I've no idea where this is supposed to be going, really.

LVGSdive

Did we watch same game? He was absymal with the ball last night. As was Shaw. Zero threat at all from either. A HUGE issue for this team.

AWB's saving grace is he's defending fairly well. Shaw isn't even doing that side of the game anymore.

Worst pair of offensive fullbacks I have seen watching United. Would rather we still had Buttner and Rafael than these two.
AWB put 2 great crosses into the box last night in the 2nd half, that people on here would have creamed themselves over if TAA had put them in instead. Do you want him to teleport into the box and finish them off himself? Not his fault that our attackers were static and not attacking his crosses.

So you are wrong that there was zero threat from him. With those 2 crosses, there was more creativity from him than any other player. Matic played a nice pass to Pereira and Jesse unfortunately, slowed down 2 promising attacks in the 1st half with under-hit passes to James and Rashford.

Your statement about worst offensive fullbacks is off the mark as well and is typical football fan overreaction/knee jerk reaction after a defeat.

This team has 99 problems and AWB isn't one of them. It's just people have their minds made up that he can't attack, so no matter what he does they're sticking to that narrative.

Stadjer

We're told Ole is an attacking coach, and yet he signed a full back with little attacking ability.

We're told he wants to play with a high defense line, and yet he signed a slow centerhalf.

I think it is clear by now that Ole isnt an attacking coach. He plays on the counter. Nothing wrong with that because some sort of counter football can be fun to watch and also be effective.

During the first half against Arsenal Shaw and Awb hardly got over the half way line but they did it a lot more during the second half. Maybe they were instructed to stay back and try to prevent conceding goals to counter attacks? Ole did mention the counter goals we concede so maybe he tried being more careful.

Second half Awb (and Shaw) went forward a bit more. Maybe it was instructed or maybe because James wasnt taking up the space for Awb to run into? Awb made some decent crosses, he wasnt amazing going forward but he did show that he is able to attack atleast a little bit.

LJJT

Think he’d be more useful the right side of a back 3 personally he’s a great defender. But terrible going forward.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Think he’d be more useful the right side of a back 3 personally he’s a great defender. But terrible going forward.
Agreed. We aren't going to win titles with him playing right back ever. He's just not good enough with the ball. He can defend though and that's fine. But a team who wants to be successful these days has to have more creativity from fullbacks. Yes we know the midfield is poor and needs improvement which is obvious but you can't rely on one area for creativity.

Shaw n AWB are just not very good on the ball.

Wan Bissaka might be better off in a 3 CB system.

Mickson

I'm sure he wants to be one, he just doesn't have the knowledge to be one at this level.

buckooo1978

United have bought AWB with a view to developing him as a player, defensively and, in particular, offensively

He did put in some good deliveries the other night but obviously he has a long way to go. He's got 10 years ahead of him in that position- I think we will see improvement in him

Gary Neville is an example of a defender first and foremost who developed very good crossing ability

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
This guy is younger than Tuanzebe. The fact Walker went for 50m changed the prices. The two Mendy's for Real and City cost about as much and they are 3 years older. 30-50m doesn't guarantee anything. This guy is a very good signing, no reason to rush any conclusion on him. If he suddenly becomes unreliable his development stagnate in a couple of years then we have to question both the signing and the handling of his talent, but this signing is about developing and nobody can doubt the potential here. I already feel we have gotten good value out of him in terms of upgrade. City have barely seen Mendy on the pitch and he hasn't contributed much offensively either.

meninred

I remember a pundit saying there is no team nowadays who win a league without at least one attacking fullback. The positive is AWB is very young and hope he develops

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
This guy is younger than Tuanzebe. The fact Walker went for 50m changed the prices. The two Mendy's for Real and City cost about as much and they are 3 years older. 30-50m doesn't guarantee anything. This guy is a very good signing, no reason to rush any conclusion on him. If he suddenly becomes unreliable his development stagnate in a couple of years then we have to question both the signing and the handling of his talent, but this signing is about developing and nobody can doubt the potential here. I already feel we have gotten good value out of him in terms of upgrade. City have barely seen Mendy on the pitch and he hasn't contributed much offensively either.
We have become age obsessed and this weird thing with young players will improve each year isn’t realistic. Spending 50 million on a 21 year old or 24 year old is the same. Both are young players

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We have become age obsessed and this weird thing with young players will improve each year isn’t realistic. Spending 50 million on a 21 year old or 24 year old is the same. Both are young players
We have become obsessed with age? :lol: Speak for yourself. Young talented players literally improves with age, while those who have reached a certain age tends to not. The same way some people, not all, but most stop growing after a certain age. It is pretty basic science you're going against here, I'm sure.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I ragged on Valencia in his final few years as he was utterly useless going forward, but AWB is so disappointing with the ball. Too often he just seems to aimlessly nudge the ball forward in the final third as a seeming panic move with no idea what to do.

He’s brilliant defensively though.

Bwuk

I ragged on Valencia in his final few years as he was utterly useless going forward, but AWB is so disappointing with the ball. Too often he just seems to aimlessly nudge the ball forward in the final third as a seeming panic move with no idea what to do.

He’s brilliant defensively though.
No he’s not. He’s great 1v1 when defending, but has no idea about defending as a unit. His awareness is shocking.

AWB is bang average.

3KDré

I think you are expecting too much of him. He has no movement ahead of him at all, nor is he being coached properly.

GlasgowCeltic

There was one moment he cut inside on the edge of the City box and was looking for a pass while desperately trying to keep the ball on his right foot and I would’ve swore it was Valencia

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He can cross pretty well actually. He is also a better defender than those other 79999 right backs.

He had a bad game today though.
Thought he had a good game defensively, but needs to be more decisive going forward.

kundalini

Thought he was terrible. As were the rest of our defence and almost the whole team.

His inability to play out from the back is problematic for the rest of the team.

Paul_Scholes18

I thought he did ok given how poor we played overall. Hopefully a better manager will see him develop a lot. There is talent there to be used even if he might never be a world class attacking fullback.

Bwuk

Just such backwards thinking that he's a great defender and that should be enough.

It's like playing a man down in attack.

Skills

Snitch
Just such backwards thinking that he's a great defender and that should be enough.

It's like playing a man down in attack.
A lot of our fanbase is massively out of touch with modern football.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
I said in another thread, I think he could be very good as as a defensive midfield player.

His crossing and general attacking play isn't necessarily good enough to play as a modern full-back. His main strengths are his athleticism and his tackling.

Having him as the deep, holding, ball-winning shield, with Pogba + one other either side might work very well, as it would allow the other 2 midfield players to be more expressive and creative.

It would also allow him to drop into the back-line when necessary, to cover for more attacking fullbacks, such as Dalot.

Something like this maybe:

De Gea

Dalot-----Lindelof-----Maguire-----Williams

Wan-Bissaka

Pereira---------------Pogba

James---------------------------Rashford
Martial​

Skills

Snitch
I said in another thread, I think he could be very good as as a defensive midfield player.

His crossing and general attacking play isn't necessarily good enough to play as a modern full-back. His main strengths are his athleticism and his tackling.

Having him as the deep, holding, ball-winning shield, with Pogba + one other either side might work very well, as it would allow the other 2 midfield players to be more expressive and creative.

It would also allow him to drop into the back-line when necessary, to cover for more attacking fullbacks, such as Dalot.

Something like this maybe:

De Gea

Dalot-----Lindelof-----Maguire-----Williams

Wan-Bissaka

Pereira---------------Pogba

James---------------------------Rashford
Martial​
Sticking him in the middle of the pitch will expose his lack of ability on the ball even more. You need to be able to distribute the ball well in midfield, and I don't think he quite has that passing ability

arthurka

Terrible team and a disfunctional defense he was not to be seen anywhere neither attacking nor defending. That in it self might be for the best at least for him in that shambolic shit show last night. I am going to leave out any comments on his attacking as we do not attack or don't have a functional attacking play (counter attacking doesn't count) until we start loading the box with more than one attacker I won't or can't really judge his crossing. But he can defend that's for sure .

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Sticking him in the middle of the pitch will expose his lack of ability on the ball even more. You need to be able to distribute the ball well in midfield, and I don't think he quite has that passing ability
Yeah, I see what you're saying, but trying to get him to run and cross a ball is probably more of a stretch than asking him to win the ball and give it simple to a more creative midfield colleague.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If Pep brought him I'm convinced he would've played him right side of a three as a CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.