Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Pep wouldn't of bought him.

No-one who plays for City is as poor with the ball.
See I think AWB is tidy on the ball but it can certainly be improved upon with the right coaching which I believe he,and others, aren't getting at with United.

Also, I remember watching AWB a fair amount last season for Palace and I'm convinced he got forward more often for them than he does for us.

Skills

Snitch
Yeah, I see what you're saying, but trying to get him to run and cross a ball is probably more of a stretch than asking him to win the ball and give it simple to a more creative midfield colleague.
But you're going to have the same issue, but you've just moved it to a different position. Because in most games our midfielders are going to see the vast majority of the ball. If they're poor on the ball, it'll again be a hindrance.

The only position I can see him really thriving is a RCB in a back 3 (see Azpi under conte). But there's only one manager in football who's shown he's capable of playing that system to a high level, and that's Antonio Conte.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
But you're going to have the same issue, but you've just moved it to a different position. Because in most games our midfielders are going to see the vast majority of the ball. If they're poor on the ball, it'll again be a hindrance.

The only position I can see him really thriving is a RCB in a back 3 (see Azpi under conte). But there's only one manager in football who's shown he's capable of playing that system to a high level, and that's Antonio Conte.
Nuno?

Yes, I could also see him on the right of a back 3. Or even in the sweeper role. His defensive covering in that position would be a real asset too.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I said in another thread, I think he could be very good as as a defensive midfield player.

His crossing and general attacking play isn't necessarily good enough to play as a modern full-back. His main strengths are his athleticism and his tackling.

Having him as the deep, holding, ball-winning shield, with Pogba + one other either side might work very well, as it would allow the other 2 midfield players to be more expressive and creative.

It would also allow him to drop into the back-line when necessary, to cover for more attacking fullbacks, such as Dalot.

Something like this maybe:

De Gea

Dalot-----Lindelof-----Maguire-----Williams

Wan-Bissaka

Pereira---------------Pogba

James---------------------------Rashford
Martial​
This has to stop. Boy can tackle so let's put him in midfield. He is piss poor on the ball. Do you really think he will survive there?

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
This has to stop. Boy can tackle so let's put him in midfield. He is piss poor on the ball. Do you really think he will survive there?
Not as a CM, never. But as a ball-winning, defence minded shield, he could excel.

It's never going to happen, just an idea of how you can get the best out of a £50m player.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not as a CM, never. But as a ball-winning, defence minded shield, he could excel.

It's never going to happen, just an idea of how you can get the best out of a £50m player.
This is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Whilst his tackling ability is good the ability to read the game and his positional sense is average at best.

Being good on 1 on 1's doesn't make you a good DM.

Most good holders in the game are rarely the ones with what AWB excels.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
This is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Whilst his tackling ability is good the ability to read the game and his positional sense is average at best.

Being good on 1 on 1's doesn't make you a good DM.

Most good holders in the game are rarely the ones with what AWB excels.
Don't sit on the fence! :lol:

Anustart89

No he’s not. He’s great 1v1 when defending, but has no idea about defending as a unit. His awareness is shocking.

AWB is bang average.
Are you one of those who blamed him for playing the City player onside for their third (I think) goal?

Bwuk

Are you one of those who blamed him for playing the City player onside for their third (I think) goal?
No.

He switches off easily. He doesn't read the game well, he's very reactionary.

For one of Sterlings missed chances in the first half, he just ran past AWB who wasn't paying any attention to where he was. I posted about it in the match day thread - about the 43rd minute or so of the game.

Anustart89

No.

He switches off easily. He doesn't read the game well, he's very reactionary.

For one of Sterlings missed chances in the first half, he just ran past AWB who wasn't paying any attention to where he was. I posted about it in the match day thread - about the 43rd minute or so of the game.
Fair enough, I agree somewhat. Was just wondering as people in the match thread were going on about that as well.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Wan bissaka struggles when James blocks off his spaces to get forward both attacking and defensively.

The same would happen to any fullback.

Trent Arnold is much better - but his game is much improved due to playing with Salah cutting inside allowing him to have the whole channel to dictate to his own pocket.

If James was on Arnold's side then the guy would be completely lost & you know it.

The next time Greenwood plays at RW watch how bissaka plays like a winger getting forward and has the pace to get back and tackle as a fullback. His game then becomes a balance of up and down where he follows the the ball both with his positioning and his tackling. With James he can't do that because he has to stay back because his space is completely blocked further forward & he has no space to cross either.

He'sRaldo

Wan bissaka struggles when James blocks off his spaces to get forward both attacking and defensively.

The same would happen to any fullback.

Trent Arnold is much better - but his game is much improved due to playing with Salah cutting inside allowing him to have the whole channel to dictate to his own pocket.

If James was on Arnold's side then the guy would be completely lost & you know it.

The next time Greenwood plays at RW watch how bissaka plays like a winger getting forward and has the pace to get back and tackle as a fullback. His game then becomes a balance of up and down where he follows the the ball both with his positioning and his tackling. With James he can't do that because he has to stay back because his space is completely blocked further forward & he has no space to cross either.
In fact you don't even need to wait for next time. Just watch the last time Greenwood played RW, when AWB got a very good run and cross for Rashford to score. And while that happened, look at Greenwood's position.

Here's the video, moment 0:56:

Greenwood leaves the flank for AWB and becomes a forward, looking to score. See how much space AWB then has to use his pace and dribbling, to dominate the opposite LB. Rashford goes far post, Greenwood near post, and Martial for the cut back. Three strikers with very good movement. Great goal.

If you watch the highlights in that video, you'll notice that AWB's positioning with Greenwood is much better than with Dan James, with him being much higher and wider in the former relationship.

Last edited:

Roberto420

1 assist not good enough imo both our fullback are pretty shite going forward
Ah never mind as someone on this thread said hipsters think there is only one way to play football, like why would you want a defender to contribute in attack baffling eh

Bebestation

In fact you don't even need to wait for next time. Just watch the last time Greenwood played RW, when AWB got a very good run and cross for Rashford to score. And while that happened, look at Greenwood's position.

Here's the video, moment 0:56:

Greenwood leaves the flank for AWB and becomes a forward, looking to score. See how much space AWB then has to use his pace and dribbling, to dominate the opposite LB. Rashford goes far post, Greenwood near post, and Martial for the cut back. Three strikers with very good movement. Great goal.

If you watch the highlights in that video, you'll notice that AWB's positioning with Greenwood is much better than with Dan James, with him being much higher and wider in the former relationship.
I agree.

People talk alot about the players individual ability but never really talk about the tactics.

Pep & Klopp both use an attacking 235 which uses their full backs to perfection by drawing the opposition players out of position - the only time I have seen this been done is when Greenwood has been played & Wan Bissaka seems he has the whole channel to cover both offensively and defensively.

I think people will be generously surprised by Wan Bissaka's attacking abilities when an attacking player on the right hand side gives him the space he needs to play a bit more freely.

Shaw I'm not so sure has the confidence about who has consistently played next to players like Martial, Rashford, Memphis, Sanchez & has hardly looked looked like he had the pace and cover to cross and come back to defend.

He'sRaldo

I agree.

People talk alot about the players individual ability but never really talk about the tactics.

Pep & Klopp both use an attacking 235 which uses their full backs to perfection by drawing the opposition players out of position - the only time I have seen this been done is when Greenwood has been played & Wan Bissaka seems he has the whole channel to cover both offensively and defensively.

I think people will be generously surprised by Wan Bissaka's attacking abilities when an attacking player on the right hand side gives him the space he needs to play a bit more freely.

Shaw I'm not so sure has the confidence about who has consistently played next to players like Martial, Rashford, Memphis, Sanchez & has hardly looked looked like he had the pace and cover to cross and come back to defend.
Aye, even in that clip I posted you can see the lack of intent in Shaw as opposed to AWB. Shaw just jogged along after making a pass, while AWB was anticipating the pass and already making a forward run. Shaw makes good runs and dribbles sometimes, but never with any real urgency, athleticism, or regularity. The good thing is Williams is very good and aggressive at making forward runs, so we have that side covered.

Williams should replace Shaw in the starting 11 for the foreseeable future, and Greenwood should replace James. Those changes will give us much better offensive balance, at the expense of James' defensive work rate and Shaw's experience. Fair trade I'd say.

Last edited:

Irwin99

How did he play today? Read a few posts ranging from 'great cross but no one in the box' to 'he really needs to learn how to cross a ball'

Andersons Dietician

I really wish he’d be more direct. There are times when he kinda has his man beat and all he has to do is run in a straight line then whip one in. However he always wants to stop the ball and the player then shift it again. It’s like hes been reading Valencias RB’ing for dummies.

It never seems to work. I do feel like today for a brief spell he was more adventurous and even popped up at the back post one moment trying to get a header on goal. Crossing hit and miss. I feel like he had a pretty quiet game.

jem

He has weird close control - the hall always seems to be bobbling from his foot and he seems like he might trip over his own legs and/or the ball. That double stop on the Norwich counter was something else though.

Fosu-Mens

He has weird close control - the hall always seems to be bobbling from his foot and he seems like he might trip over his own legs and/or the ball. That double stop on the Norwich counter was something else though.
I said that this was a major problem before we signed him. Unless he fixed it, he would struggle to become a decent player on the ball. His passing, crossing and awareness are made worse due to his unorthodox way of handling the ball.

jem

I said that this was a major problem before we signed him. Unless he fixed it, he would struggle to become a decent player on the ball. His passing, crossing and awareness are made worse due to his unorthodox way of handling the ball.
He's like a self-starting Lukaka when he has the ball at his feet; just endless bumbling and fumbling. I adore his defensive play and he clearly has the athleticism to make dangerous runs, but until he gains some semblance of composure with the ball, I fear we are looking at Antonio Valencia version 2.0.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well that's why he "only" cost 50m. He's work on progress. If he were also very good in attacking, he'd cost at least Maguire kind of money.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If Williams is on the left and James is playing on the right, I’d be less concerned about him going forward. In such an eleven his job wouldn’t be to be an attacking full back, but more to support the defence and midfield. Our attacking formation should look like this:

Williams Rashford Martial #10 James
............ ..... Matic Fred AWB
............... .. Lindelöf Maguire

ash_86

Is it only me that think he'd be a very good DM? Has all the attributes IMO

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
AWB is a developing talent btw, he's got time to improve his skills by quite a lot. He only just turned 22..

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I don’t think him being more defensively minded is the end of the world (I think of him as a Wes Brown to perhaps Williams Evra on the other side).

Fosu-Mens

He's like a self-starting Lukaka when he has the ball at his feet; just endless bumbling and fumbling. I adore his defensive play and he clearly has the athleticism to make dangerous runs, but until he gains some semblance of composure with the ball, I fear we are looking at Antonio Valencia version 2.0.
It would be difficult to implement him into the team if we were to go to a more possession-oriented approach. A scenario that is not that farfetched if we get Poch in the summer.

MonkeysMagic

Whilst talent is a given, I fail to believe that additional skills cannot be taught. AWB is one such example where his creative output can certainly be improved with better coaching. Sadly he's not likely to get that with our current incumbents and it can adversely stall his development but he has bags of potential that a good caoch can utilise in attacking areas.

criticalanalysis

At the same time, he has some very classy/technical pieces of control in tight situations. I think his control is more than decent enough, it's just the general game intelligence of when to receive the ball to feet, when to overlap, what to do etc in the final third.

He just needs a good coach and more games/experience imo.

Often times, the 'bumbling' aspect is because he is too 'honest' and perhaps naive in that he never shies away from being an option on the ball. The amount of times Lindelof will happily pass it off to AWB in awkward situations is ridiculous because he himself never takes command of it. You will often find AWB is on the byline to offer the angle when he's already been closely marked and often he will get the ball.

I like that because it helps with beating the press and building out from the back but there need's to be more help from a tactical P.O.V and perhaps self development from himself. I'm not saying he needs to erm, 'Young it' by just hoofing down the line or get-rid-first mentality but there can be more nuance in those situations.

Bebestation

All this problems with his first touches - does it lead to any problems?

It doesn't really break down our play or lead to an opposition counter attack. It only maybe adds a lack of fluidity to our attack that happens more from him having too many touches rather than having bad touches in my opinion & again if he ends up building a partnership with Greenwood in the future where he has consistent space on the right flank to attack on - I reckon this gets better...

All he has to do then is learn to take a one quick type touch leading to a stride of pace and a cross which I see him attempting to do when the space is there.

When the space is not there & there is not only opposition but his own team mates in front of him he starts hesitating in his head on how to attack & takes too many touches - but the lad still makes an an attempt be that an inside run or an outside run as we saw for the first goal where Mata got a free ride to cross due to Bissaka's run.

LInkash

Has been putting in some crosses in the past couple of games so hopefully we'll see that develop over the coming months.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Unless we sign an outstanding right winger, Wan Bissaka is going to be an issue for us. Right now we need him to contribute in other half and he struggles badly. Doesn't look comfortable on the ball at all.

No issues defensively though. He's solid as a rock. Need to buy better winger. James is okay and has done better than expected coming in from championship but he's no Ronaldo or Beckham is he? He's more like Blomquist or Poborsky i.e. the back up. We need a world beater there. Sancho would obviously be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.