Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

I think it’s the wing back role against a top side. He’s doesn’t understand the role. He played a low block always at Palace and this system is pretty new to him and not especially complimentary to his skill set.
Maybe you’re right but even then there were moments we were in trouble and no matter where you are on the pitch you would expect people to be getting back in and he just really seemed to be struggling to get back or just wasn’t trying.

LJJT

If we are playing 352 he needs to be in the 3 not the 5. Think that was a big error today he was lost at sea on the far right today

Devil may care

I was never a fan of buying him as I wanted attacking fullbacks, but now we've bought him I think he's done well, yes he does rely on sliding in a bit much but overall he's been excellent defensively and he's trying to improve in his attacking. Today he looked either tired or injured, either way he needs to be rested on Wednesday.

el3mel

Unfortunately he's coming at a age where offensive output for fullbacks is very important. 10 years ago from now he would have been world class, in the current era this is a big deficiency.

Still he has been having a good season overall and still young with roam to improve. However if 2 - 3 years from now on he is still poor offensively, we will have to upgrade.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Awful today. Never mind offensively, defensively he was all over the place, he doesn't know who he is marking on. It was the same when we played at Old Trafford against Liverpool this season, it seems he always clueless when playing as wing back.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Unfortunately he's coming at a age where offensive output for fullbacks is very important. 10 years ago from now he would have been world class, in the current era this is a big deficiency.

Still he has been having a good season overall and still young with roam to improve. However if 2 - 3 years from now on he is still poor offensively, we will have to upgrade.
When he was being lauded, I still said here he should think of being a CB.

Last edited:

ManRed

The high pressing got him exhausted after 45 minutes and he did neither attack nor defend in the second half.

Ole knew the wingbacks will be exhausted with the high press and had the changes ready pregame, unfortunately Shaw needed the third sub at the end.

Should be rested next game and brought back for the fa cup game next weekend.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Ten years ago the top fullbacks in the world were Dani Alves, Evra, Marcelo, Cole, Lahm, Maicon etc, going forward was very important.

I'll give you 20 years ago though.

Lee565

We going to be handicapped with him on our right side for years unless another manager comes in wanting a good attacking fullback and moves him into central defence.

If we could turn him into a good centre back then he would have been a good buy but 40 million for a fullback that is poor on the ball and good but not great defensively feels like more money squandered.

Sylar

If we are playing 352 he needs to be in the 3 not the 5. Think that was a big error today he was lost at sea on the far right today
I think this is fair.

He did look like he had an injury. Maybe lack of rotation which hasnt helped.

United Hobbit

He really didn't look right in the second half yesterday, borderline not with it he looked a little dazed. Hopefully it was just from being tired but have my suspicion he was carrying a slight injury, guess we will see over time. He could do with a rest but who do we have that could cover him?
Dalot didn't look up to speed when he came on and obviously Young is now in Italy. People say about William's being right footed has he ever played right back? However I dont think I'd want to be moving him around when he's already currently learning about the step up to PL level we don't want to overburden him. People are talking about Laird but is he ready to come into this sort of environment? Also Williams is still learning are others in the team playing well enough to help support 2 young players at the back? Maguire I'd say possibly given hes the captain but can we trust Lindelof to help one of them if required?

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Played well. Offensive game is really coming on.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has pretty good dribbling abilities for a fullback. Most fullbacks aren't as active as him, which is a trait I like. He will become a very important player for us in the coming years.

RedNed77

I thought him and Fred were the only ones to come out of this game with a modicum of self respect still intact.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Supposedly cant attack but should have had two assists today... finisher let him down today.
A broken clock is right twice a day.

Madrid , Barca Bayern will be chomping at the bit to take him off us I bet.

He's an average player playing for an average team. I agree he was one of the better players tonight and I'm not his biggest fan but he's still not that good.

City n Liverpool wouldn't go near him. No club going for serious trophies would do.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I actually don't think he is a very good dribbler, but he kind of has that 'somehow makes it work' factor. His crossing is decent, he almost always pulls it back along the ground (unless its just me?) but our attackers seem to anticipate it well. He should've had two or three assists today.

Don't even need to comment on his ability as a defender anymore.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Created 2-3 very good chances. Mata and Martial should have scored, no excuses.

Apart from that his work for second goal was pathetic. He can't take throw ins, he has chance and time to pass the ball, instead he let the ball to go out. Burnley then pushed high and scored from our throw in.

Devil may care

I appreciate the fact he's trying to improve his attacking game, it doesn't look like it's all that natural for him despite his past as a winger, but he's getting a bit better I feel and was our best outlet tonight.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Could have had 3 assists in 2 games. There's some ability there which I am glad to see.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why does he make dribbling look so incredibly hard?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Created 2-3 very good chances. Mata and Martial should have scored, no excuses.

Apart from that his work for second goal was pathetic. He can't take throw ins, he has chance and time to pass the ball, instead he let the ball to go out. Burnley then pushed high and scored from our throw in.
This honestly infuriated me no end.

Bad enough that he didn't even need to let the ball roll out, we had just had two or three throw ins on that side that he struggled with... So instead of being quick about it and just throw it to Jones, he takes his sweet time, struggles with the throw again and we gift them the back back.

It's the same with all our players, it's like they don't learn things during the game they're actively playing in... Its feckin annoying

Other then that, he was good in the first and rubbish in the second. He's basically a tackling robot that we're trying to reprogramme to do other things and it's not really taking.

Also think he's knackered, as there was a few times yesterday he was beaten to the ball just because he didn't sprint... Least I hope it was because he's knackered and not just because he wasn't arsed.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This honestly infuriated me no end.

Bad enough that he didn't even need to let the ball roll out, we had just had two or three throw ins on that side that he struggled with... So instead of being quick about it and just throw it to Jones, he takes his sweet time, struggles with the throw again and we gift them the back back.

It's the same with all our players, it's like they don't learn things during the game they're actively playing in... Its feckin annoying

Other then that, he was good in the first and rubbish in the second. He's basically a tackling robot that we're trying to reprogramme to do other things and it's not really taking.

Also think he's knackered, as there was a few times yesterday he was beaten to the ball just because he didn't sprint... Least I hope it was because he's knackered and not just because he wasn't arsed.
Yeah same with everyone, it's like we have signed all the brainless players. Attacker or midfielder will have ball ready to take throw in, players will have so much space so instead of taking one, they will wait for FB to take, by that time defensive team is set in positions and none of our players will be free. As usual we will lose the possession.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Instead of looking at the fact he was a winger in his early days as a positive, why dont we see it for what it really is.
The fact AWB clearly didn't make much of a impression in that role so was told to move further back into a defensive position where's he's gone on to have progressed into decent player.

Overall,If you're going to move forward as a attacking team, and being a team who will likely have the majority of the possession, you have to have players in all positions be effective ,or atleast capable, offensively.
You look at the fullbacks we've had in the past and you look at the ones today. They all have shown great quality on the offensive.
That's something AWB and his fellow team-mates just seem to lack at the present time.

Trippier, a player I rated and would've happily had brought into the squad last summer, would've been perfect for games like yesterday.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's a fallacy that is getting out of control.

He has more successful dribbles and key passes than Walker. More crosses per game than R.Peirera and Walker. The best ball control % out of Walker, R.Peirera and Aurier. Despite being 4-7 years younger than all of them. He's poor offensively when you compare him to Alex-Arnold, which is an unfair comparison.

Yes, we purchased a more defensive full back. But he's not as terrible going forward as most people claim. Our whole team struggles in the final third because of how we are set up to break them down, too slow. AWB is given the ball too late, once he has become stationary and the passes are telegraphed. He often finds himself given the ball with 2 men to beat (e.g. against Burnley - and he still was trying to make things happen) with little movement in and around the box.

Compare his attacking play in this video to what you see now.

The problem is our tactics, not the player.
I have to move this post to this thread instead.

I think calling it the problem is the tactic not entirely right. Why Williams doesn't have the same problem as Bissaka then? However, I do think that playing James on the right will limit Bissaka to go forward since James likes to hug the touch line as he is a natural winger.

DBT85

I think calling it the problem is the tactic not entirely right. Why Williams doesn't have the same problem as Bissaka then? However, I do think that playing James on the right will limit Bissaka to go forward since James likes to hug the touch line as he is a natural winger.
Williams has had Rashford putting in a shift ahead of him for a start.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Williams has had Rashford putting in a shift ahead of him for a start.
So tactic is not the issue as we don't have a left foot player on the right side to drift inside and also who is good enough to play week in week out. Once we get this then Bissaka will have more space to deliver the ball.

DBT85

So tactic is not the issue as we don't have a left foot player on the right side to drift inside and also who is good enough to play week in week out. Once we get this then Bissaka will have more space to deliver the ball.
Tactics can absolutely be an issue. The ball isn't being moved fast enough. The amount of time i see AWB standing in fecking acres of space and nobody picking him out is criminal.

All I'm saying is that with a proper plaers ahead of him (something he've not had in i don't even know how long) he's have more support in both directions.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Tactics can absolutely be an issue. The ball isn't being moved fast enough. The amount of time i see AWB standing in fecking acres of space and nobody picking him out is criminal.

All I'm saying is that with a proper plaers ahead of him (something he've not had in i don't even know how long) he's have more support in both directions.
Sure can be an issue doesn't mean the real issue why AWB & Williams are so contrast in what they offer in attack. If that's the absolute issue then Williams should suffer the same but he doesn't.

joedirt87

i don't think we necessarily need a left footed player to cut in to provide the space, we just need a right winger to occupy that space. Another year where we have not addressed the black hole that is the right side of the attack. Dan James at times has provided some quality from the right, but that is largely on counter attacks.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
i don't think we necessarily need a left footed player to cut in to provide the space, we just need a right winger to occupy that space. Another year where we have not addressed the black hole that is the right side of the attack. Dan James at times has provided some quality from the right, but that is largely on counter attacks.
I'm not saying we need it. But if the fans or the manager wants to see Bissaka more effective in going forward, then we do need it. Very often I see James & Bissaka are very closed to each other and they end up just passing back to each other near the opposition box with no clue what to do.

But if you look at Rashford's goal against Newcastle which came from Bissaka's assist, mainly because we had Greenwood on the right spot who gives Bissaka more space on the right side to cross the ball and also option in the box for any full back to aim for. He knows what he has to do in that situation.

Last edited:

DBT85

Sure can be an issue doesn't mean the real issue why AWB & Williams are so contrast in what they offer in attack. If that's the absolute issue then Williams should suffer the same but he doesn't.
As I said, Williams has space to operate in when he goes forward becase Rashford attracts so much attention, we're also a very left leaning team and have been for ages. Martial and Rashford both like operating on the left.

AWB ends up with acres of space until he gets the ball and then he is isolated as nobody else is near him.

Someone of a better quality level in front of him will absolutely make a difference.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As I said, Williams has space to operate in when he goes forward becase Rashford attracts so much attention, we're also a very left leaning team and have been for ages. Martial and Rashford both like operating on the left.

AWB ends up with acres of space until he gets the ball and then he is isolated as nobody else is near him.

Someone of a better quality level in front of him will absolutely make a difference.
As what I said. We don't have the player like Rashford on the right side. We have James who likes to hug the touch line and he's our best option that we can rely on as regular player at the moment. Why blaming on tactic now if the manager doesn't have the right player in that right forward spot?

DBT85

As what I said. We don't have the player like Rashford on the right side. We have James who likes to hug the touch line and he's our best option that we can rely on as regular player at the moment. Why blaming on tactic now if the manager doesn't have the right player in that right forward spot?
Because even with a better player there we still don't move the ball nearly fast enough?

It's like nobody in our team remembers playing 2 touch.

Lynty

Thanks for moving the post.

I'd argue that Williams best offensive performances have come on when Rashford (and the team as a whole) has been on top form. What did he do against Burnley and Liverpool? Not bashing the kid but 9 appearances is a small sample size and from what I recall, he's 'attacking threat' is overlapping Rashford on the counter. He's not produced anything of note against teams sitting back.

A quick comparison on Whoscored highlights that the offensive stats are incredibly close.

Wan Bissaka has more dribbles per game which I think is indictive of where he's recieving the ball (to feet when he's already checked his run)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Thanks for moving the post.

I'd argue that Williams best offensive performances have come on when Rashford (and the team as a whole) has been on top form. What did he do against Burnley and Liverpool? Not bashing the kid but 9 appearances is a small sample size and from what I recall, he's 'attacking threat' is overlapping Rashford on the counter. He's not produced anything of note against teams sitting back.

A quick comparison on Whoscored highlights that the offensive stats are incredibly close.

Wan Bissaka has more dribbles per game which I think is indictive of where he's recieving the ball (to feet when he's already checked his run)
So it’s all down to the player not the tactic. Manager can’t apply the same on the right side if he has no player that can offer the same as the left side. May be if we have Rashford version on the right, we can see more in Bissaka.

Status
Not open for further replies.