Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

HowYouDoin

That's patently untrue. The highlighted part is so inaccurate as to be laughable.

Williams is young and learning, he's made as many mistakes as good decisions.

If you think he's the best FB we have then you need to watch football more closely.
Williams is a much better footballer than Wan Bissaka and thats absolutely true oh and he is like 3 years younger and playing out of position.
Wan Bissaka is a better defender but its easier to improve defense than develop technique and intelligence.
Problem is we have 2 CB'S Shaw and Bissaka playing as full backs. It really limits us offensively.

The solution is simple. Buy a good LB, play Williams at his natural position which is RB.

Zero awareness, lack of on-pitch intelligence and diabolical ball control. I cringe every time he tries something with the ball because of how forced/laboured/artificial/lack of control it seems. Not donkey levels, but close. I had a Sunday league team with better ball players.
No you didn't.

He's one of the players of least concern in our team. He had a poor game and he looks tired but his attacking play has improved since he joined and he is excellent in his actual primary job of defending.

Dion

He's not 21. He's actually 23 this year. I sincerely doubt he's going to improve that much a thing like technique or intelligence on the ball. You either got it by that age or you don't. He's so far off pace in that regard that I think it's doomed.
Another way of saying he's been 22 for all of 3 and a bit months.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His attacking play has clearly improved this season. Yes, today wasn’t good but Jesus fecking Christ. Chill out
Don't know why you bother, these guys will whine and/or make shit up regardless.

ash_86

He looks tired. He isn't used to playing at this intensity and amount of games so it's quite normal in his first season with us. Still very glad we got him. He has improved his attacking output and still rock solid at the back.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Williams is a much better footballer than Wan Bissaka and thats absolutely true oh and he is like 3 years younger and playing out of position.
Wan Bissaka is a better defender but its easier to improve defense than develop technique and intelligence.
Problem is we have 2 CB'S Shaw and Bissaka playing as full backs. It really limits us offensively.

The solution is simple. Buy a good LB, play Williams at his natural position which is RB.
Natural position?

I take it you watched a lot of games at U18 and 23 level?

Thisistheone

He looks tired. He isn't used to playing at this intensity and amount of games so it's quite normal in his first season with us. Still very glad we got him. He has improved his attacking output and still rock solid at the back.
Agree with this.

Classnordic

Consistantly has to do a 2-man job on the right side, therefore he has to do the stuff he's the worst at. How often does he come up against a already sitting left and a midfielder/winger?

MileStolar

When we get our RW eventually this guy's going to allow him to be twice the player. Like Ronaldo at Madrid had license to stay forward, AWB will allow this on our right side.

Bruno transformed our side, but it was obvious we lacked wingers vs Everton especially in second half when they pushed us back. That's where a good RW comes in and has the same effect on the team as Bruno, and I believe he's gonna hurt teams in the break thanks to Wan Bissaka.

christian bennett

Wasent his best game yesterday he does look abit tired which is understanble but hes brilliant this season and he will bounce back from yesterdays performance.some clueless people on here are being way over critical of him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Is there any reason why he has to chew gums during the game? Combined with his recent average performances, it somehow infuriates me. It just makes him look nonchalant about his games.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That one where he ran it out of play for no good reason was proper bin juice. :lol:

In saying that though I think he's had an ok first season. 6/10. Definitely something to work with and I think he has generally shown improvement through the season which is positive. Hopefully there's more to come this season too and you never know we might even have a top right winger next year.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
We knew when we bought him that he wasn't great in attack and he still looks very awkward going forward, but he's trying and showing some improvement IMO, his delivery is decent when he actually gets the cross in. Defensively though he was poor today by his lofty standards, I look at how he handled Sterling vs his struggles with both Everton forwards today and I'd say that he's worn out, as someone mentioned above.
Agree about his delivery, when he has space to make a cross, he can put in a nice ball. The problem is that he is so bad on the ball, that he can't make space with a defneder in front of him in order to make the cross. At this level, you have to be able to create space on your own and he's simply not skilled enough to do so.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions

Or for the time being, play Williams on the right and AWB on the left.

Is there any reason why he has to chew gums during the game? Combined with his recent average performances, it somehow infuriates me. It just makes him look nonchalant about his games.
Oh no not this again, please dont start :lol:

ash_86

Agree about his delivery, when he has space to make a cross, he can put in a nice ball. The problem is that he is so bad on the ball, that he can't make space with a defneder in front of him in order to make the cross. At this level, you have to be able to create space on your own and he's simply not skilled enough to do so.
Thats not right is it. Look at his assist against chelsea. He clearly makes space and delivers a perfect cross for the goal. He hasn't got a TAA level attacking output but clearly can make space and whip in a cross.

HowYouDoin

Or for the time being, play Williams on the right and AWB on the left.
You know that sounds crazy but it might not be cuz we are sacrificing Williams' offensive game to an extent playing him on the left. Imagine if he had the confidence knowing he could cross with his dominant foot each time he charges forward. He always stops the ball with his right foot anyway, he is a bit uncomfortable on the left but he is making it work because he is just such a good gifted player.

Wan Bissaka on the other hand if all he does is defend he can do that equality well from both right and left. So he could technically play on the left side. The thing is it would clearly send the message that we are not counting on him improving his offense and thats clearly a bad message to send. He is young, he can still improve but I do want to see Williams play his natural RB position every now and then.

I do think Williams is a much more talented player and he is our starting RB moving forward, not Wan Bissaka. Either way we dont really need Wan Bissaka to pan out because we do have that position sorted anyway.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
When we get our RW eventually this guy's going to allow him to be twice the player. Like Ronaldo at Madrid had license to stay forward, AWB will allow this on our right side.

Bruno transformed our side, but it was obvious we lacked wingers vs Everton especially in second half when they pushed us back. That's where a good RW comes in and has the same effect on the team as Bruno, and I believe he's gonna hurt teams in the break thanks to Wan Bissaka.
thats the hope and best scenario. The future RW needs to be an offensive juggernaut who can beat his defender without the help of AWB. If not we have a problem.
Another thing that struck me yesterday was how predictable AWB is when he tries to go pass the defender for the cross. He makes the same move all the time.

Last edited:

Dion

No, it's my way of saying that he isn't fecking 21. And Ethan Hamilton is still only 21, maybe he can become a world-beater.
It's a lot less disingenuous than the way you phrased it.

Skills

Snitch
As a club and a fanbase we just need to accept players for what they are. Rather than expecting to them to turn into something they aren't, we need to put in positions where they can succeed instead.

Now do that we've spunked £50m on him, we can't set up expecting our FBs to bomb down the wing. He's better off holding back in line with the midfield line an and play players into the channels. Instead the midfielders need to push out wide instead

Toad

Not sure what all the stick is about to be honest. He is Fantastic at the job he is meant to do and if he had a proper right winger in front of him he wouldn’t have to do 2 jobs. One of our players with the least concern.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Williams is obviously not the best full back at the club (as you said in your last post), that’s utter nonsense. Both our first choice full backs are better. I’m also pretty certain that he’s not as good as Ethan Laird if we are talking teenagers, who should be the young full-back we play at RB, his actual position, if we are going to go down the route of putting a kid in at RB.

Then there’s the Dalot question, who has seldom impressed, but is only 20, and has shown at times that he has something in him, albeit more often as a RW than a RB I think. He’ll never make it here as a RW, but in theory, if he can bring his game together, should have the best offensive skill-set. If Laird can gather some firnesstI wouldn’t be adverse to seeing him moved on, as I don’t think he’ll become as good as Laird will as a RB. Laird is a truly top tier talent for me, I think he has a good chance of being a better RB than Greenwood will be as a striker. And Mason is top bracket.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have no concerns about him. He's starting to get assists and can defend really well. If we had an actual right-sided player in front of him we wouldn't even be moaning about him.

acnumber9

Brilliant again. Sterling is petrified of him. Had to come inside to try and get away from him.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Superb, looks like he has more confidence in attack when we’re playing with three CBs, was so good going forward in the first half.

Ibi Dreams

Beastly game defensively, but lads, what the feck was that elastico he did in the first half? I literally couldn't believe my eyes, it looked like he disappeared for a second and then reappeared in space in the box about 5 yards ahead of the defender :lol: Did not know he had it in him

marktan

Beastly game defensively, but lads, what the feck was that elastico he did in the first half? I literally couldn't believe my eyes, it looked like he disappeared for a second and then reappeared in space in the box about 5 yards ahead of the defender :lol: Did not know he had it in him
Long legs and fast pace, just looks a bit ungainly at times. If he improves his attacking play could be very good at dribbling.

Superunknown

Played out of his skin today. Needed a big performance from everyone and we 100% got one from him. One of our best players today.

Status
Not open for further replies.