Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Because Laird is potentially the kind of modern attacking Fullback we've been missing, and AWB has the attributes that would compliment Maguire and will never be a truly great attacking RB, so we could solve a couple of this teams weaknesses without spending another penny.
They can always compete for the RP. Competition improves players. No need to switch him to other position.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
One of his best attacking games for us, posed more of a threat on his flank than Shaw did on the left. I do agree with those above, I think he could partner Maguire at CB if given time to transition.
He would be a disaster at CB. Apart from tackling what other attributes do you see him as a CB?

Tony247

He would be a disaster at CB. Apart from tackling what other attributes do you see him as a CB?
Not calling him CB but in last match he was protecting the center position back in our half whenener HM was up in the opposition half.

Web of Bissaka

The interesting about him is how so good defensively he already is, consistently.
+ combine what with his visible improving attacking attributes.

Contrast to TAA who I'm not confident at all will improve his defending.

:keano:AWB's going to be a mad top elite full back one day once he hits his prime.

Devil may care

They can always compete for the RP. Competition improves players. No need to switch him to other position.
The thing with competition is it's not as easy to implement in defensive players as you rarely switch out your back 4 during a game, unlike the midfield or attack, and for young players they need a run of games to develop into a player that can compete.

He's great 1 v 1 and has tremendous recovery speed, they are two huge assets, especially as a partner for Maguire, I'm not saying it has to be that way, just don't see why it needs to be ruled out of hand.

Rolaholic

He'd be considered one of the finest FB's on the planet in any other era of football than this super attack oriented one but even moving forwards he's starting to provide a more consistent threat.

Especially when he has quality playing ahead of him as he does with Greenwood

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
His attacking game is coming along very nicely.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Better than Shaw already.
I think both their attacking game has noticeably improved. Considering how important full backs were to McKenna's system at youth level I wouldn't be surprised if he's got something to do with this.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He was very good. Perhaps against better teams when he needs to do more without the ball he struggles to get into the best attacking positions. I remember against Liverpool at OT he was defending very high up the field to snuff Robertson out (nearly managed it too :mad:) but understandably didn't commit to being a constant attacking outlet for us.

I've always said he doesn't strike me as a player who is incapable in the final third, that side of his game needs more work.

BlahRules

I think both their attacking game has noticeably improved. Considering how important full backs were to McKenna's system at youth level I wouldn't be surprised if he's got something to do with this.
I dont like when Shaw starts to playing as inverted full back when we have inverted forwards, ruins the width.

El Jefe

I'm accepting apologies from the naysayers now. The ridiculous OTT criticism he received in the first two games was the caf at it's worst. This boy is going to be some player and is going to make a lot of posters look silly.

Dr. McBeasty

May not be the best crosser of the ball, but he's now at a level that at least needs to be respected by opposing defenses. Great game tonight, and very confident in him being our long term answer at RB.

I'm accepting apologies from the naysayers now. The ridiculous OTT criticism he received in the first two games was the caf at it's worst. This boy is going to be some player and is going to make a lot of posters look silly.
Same here. Ridiculous criticism after the Spurs game.

Great going forward today imo even though he was left isolated a few times. Assist was mostly down to Greenwood but good line-breaking pass into space. Linked up well with Mason. Solid in defense as expected. A few really nice moves on the dribble and one impressive cross that I can remember.

Brightonian

Using his assets so well in attack now. Yes he's not got the tightest control of the ball but he's explosive and tricksy and can whip in a wicked low ball. The Valencia-esque approach to attacking his man is exactly the right one for him.

Meanwhile continues to do the defensive work of two men.

Great game.

BristolRuss

4 PL assists this season for him now. That is the same number as Wes Brown and Phil Neville managed in their entire time here. For comparisons sake, Luke Shaw has only managed 6 PL assists in his 6 years here.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is insane. Apparently a fullback needs to be more attack-minded these days, well he has more assists than Lukaku who is a striker we sold so, I guess the signing represents improvement either way :lol:

Web of Bissaka

Turns out the key is to give him more spaces.

Easy really, a dangerous RW with goal-threatening reputation eg. Greenwood would pull defenders away, creating plenty of spaces for AWB to showcase his attacking talents.

In Rainbows

I'm incredibly happy with him. Guy is just so good at defending, and his attacking play is improving. I was already happy with just the former.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Another good peformance. Excellent pass for the first goal. He and Greenwood work well together. With James he has to come inside as James needs to stay out wide and it doesn't really make any sense.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Only 5 FBs (RB, RWB, LB, LWB) have more assists than AWB in PL.

TAA - 12
Robertson - 8
Digne - 6
Azpi - 5
Aurier - 5
AWB - 4

Among RBs and RWBs, only TAA and Aurier have more assists than AWB. (I think Azpi has 1 from LB position).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His attacking game has improved so much but if you read caf, it's either he is useless going forward or you can't improve your game at all.

Jonno

What an absolute monster of a signing.

I really enjoyed Andy Mittens' piece on The Athletic where he discusses AWB's arrival to Old Trafford and the type of player and person he is. - https://theathletic.com/1883683/2020/06/22/aaron-wan-bissaka-manchester-united/

He's a very quiet, modest young man with a long term partner, moving from South London to Manchester, switching from a team that sits deep for 90 minutes to a team that needs to play on the front foot and win every week. He's apparently made lots of adjustments to his training and development and I think we're all impressed with how much he's improved in an attacking sense.

I knew when I saw him with his defensive attributes that he would be a 10+ years player for us, some fans don't believe that players can improve and change in training.

All in all I'd call his first season a success and can only see him improving in every aspect, next season.

Jonno

It's like some "fans" don't believe that players can actually improve from training and development. It's ridiculous. I'm all for saying someones had a poor game, but some fans come out and say "will NEVER be good enough" when they're 18-22 years old. Baffles me every time.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Miss this lad a lot, top player and the potential was clear from the moment he got in to our team.

His fee has paid for the overhaul of our Academy and we had our inspection for CAT 1 status this week, which will hopefully mean better access to the top talent across South London (of which there is plenty!).

Be nice to think he can still leave a long term legacy for the both of us.

Pace Abuser

The comments made about him after the first game back were vile. The knee jerk and reactionary scorn was ridiculously over the top

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's like some "fans" don't believe that players can actually improve from training and development. It's ridiculous. I'm all for saying someones had a poor game, but some fans come out and say "will NEVER be good enough" when they're 18-22 years old. Baffles me every time.
I'm not sure what those people have been watching this season. AWB has had a very good first year at United and the improvement in his attacking play was obvious to see before the season stoppage. The overreaction after the Spurs game was pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.