Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm not worried by him. Certainly not defensively, but even as an attacking threat I think he's shown enough promise this season. A lot of his crosses are dangerous, I think the biggest issue is there's not enough of them. He needs the confidence to beat his man and get a cross in on a more regular basis.

His biggest weakness, imo, is he too often needs to take a touch. If he was passing first time then moving he might find himself in more dangerous areas more often.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He didn't anyway and assist are not the only measure of attacking contribution from fullbacks it's just part of it, Shaw while assisting less is still contributing more to the team in attack and is also competent in defense.
*4, 7 was his total in the EPL. Also the reason our right side has been less dangerous than our left has more to do with the players occupying the wings rather than the fullbacks. Greenwood tucks inside much more which leaves AWB alone and Rashford is simply a much better player than James.

Right now fullbacks are the positions i am least concerned with

LARulz

I really believe we should make him a centre back. He is quick as feck (needed to counter Maguire's lack of), is an incredible tackler and won't miss his attacking contribution.

He improves his positioning and I think we solve one of our problem areas

Thiagoal

I really believe we should make him a centre back. He is quick as feck (needed to counter Maguire's lack of), is an incredible tackler and won't miss his attacking contribution.

I was actually thinking the same! May be worth trying him as right of three Centre backs to start and see how he does! Laird will be knocking at the door for right back next season (hopefully) and he’s very much in the mould of a ‘modern’ full back

Chief123

Unfortunately converting a player from a full back into a centre back is not as simple as it sounds. It’s a whole new transition into a completely different area of the pitch. The body position and awareness is very different to full back.
Don’t forget AWB was originally a winger converted to a full back. To convert him to a centre back would be a big ask.
I think he’ll be perfectly fine at full back.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

I really don't see it. His one attribute which is truly world class (his 1v1 defending and tackling) would be less important, while his weaknesses (positioning and heading) would be targeted significantly more.

Shaw is the one who might transition at some stage. It's not a coincidence that he's the one who moves into the centre when we play three at the back and has looked quite good there most of the time.

Riz

I really don't see it. His one attribute which is truly world class (his 1v1 defending and tackling) would be less important, while his weaknesses (positioning and heading) would be targeted significantly more.

Shaw is the one who might transition at some stage. It's not a coincidence that he's the one who moves into the centre when we play three at the back and has looked quite good there most of the time.
Yep spot on. A lot of crosses coming from the opposition's right cause issues for him if they're deep to the back post a go over Maguire. He loses track of his man easily, happened a lot at the beginning of the Villa match where Grealish had a decent chance on the volley at the back post.

To echo your post further his ability of winning 1 vs 1 duels won't be called into action as much as a center back and we'll need it against Europe's best left winger's if we want to kick on as a side (since the majority of players are right footed and the modern winger/forward wants to cut in it's no surprise most sides have a dangerous left forward, Madrid, Liverpool, City, PSG, etc).

Revan

Assumptionman

He is also awful aerially and has poor positioning. If the idea is to have one of the worst CBs in the league, then yes, we should really convert him from a position where he is decent, to a position where he will be awful.

We also should make Maguire a central midfielder. He is decent with the ball, and his lack of speed there will be punished less.

Revan

Assumptionman

Nah. He would be much better than AWB in that aspect, but not that great. Definitely ok as part of a three man defense, but too much to ask as part of a CB duo.

And while he is far better than AWB when it comes to winning headers, he would be really poor in that aspect as a CB.

Very deep thinking, but I think that we should play AWB as right back and Shaw as left-back.

gajender

Nah. He would be much better than AWB in that aspect, but not that great. Definitely ok as part of a three man defense, but too much to ask as part of a CB duo.

And while he is far better than AWB when it comes to winning headers, he would be really poor in that aspect as a CB.

Very deep thinking, but I think that we should play AWB as right back and Shaw as left-back.
That's radical man how dare you.

LARulz

He is also awful aerially and has poor positioning. If the idea is to have one of the worst CBs in the league, then yes, we should really convert him from a position where he is decent, to a position where he will be awful.

We also should make Maguire a central midfielder. He is decent with the ball, and his lack of speed there will be punished less.
I am not saying he just becomes out CB from start of next season. He trains properly for it and is phased in here and there. I am sure they train players to get better at heading and positioning which also comes from experience. Also please, as much as I like Lindelof, he is poor at both too - especially for someone who has played there his whole life and trains specifically for that position.

Not that height is the only factor in heading, but he is the same height as Ramos. Ramos is a beast in the air. AWB will never reach that level but with training he can at least be better than he is

You go tell Maguire to play at full back he'd be wank without training. AWB has tackling, strength and speed on his side - he is not exactly the best positioned full back anyway and he barely has to head a ball. We also miss nothing in the attacking department of he shifts

With serious positional training and phased games here and there (rotation against 'weaker' teams) its worth a shot in my opinion

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Always a worrying sign for a player when fans on the Cafe start openly wondering if he’d be more useful in a position he’s never played in before.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think Wan Bissaka is a fantastic player who only has had 2 years experience as a RB.

I just think United fans need to point at players due to it being another year that we havent won the PL and these 'fans' need to find a weakness in a player to shout at.

Martial went through this. Rashford went through this. Shaw went through this. Pogba is going through this and now Wan Bissaka. Fans expect that instant success in a team and players rather than things that are improving over time - little as a single season at a club.

A defensive world class player with the ability to get forward and be useful in our team the more I watch him play. We should be playing with better ball playing CB'S to stop any fullback being isolated in to dictating our gameplay from the back.

Revan

Assumptionman
I am not saying he just becomes out CB from start of next season. He trains properly for it and is phased in here and there. I am sure they train players to get better at heading and positioning which also comes from experience. Also please, as much as I like Lindelof, he is poor at both too - especially for someone who has played there his whole life and trains specifically for that position.

Not that height is the only factor in heading, but he is the same height as Ramos. Ramos is a beast in the air. AWB will never reach that level but with training he can at least be better than he is

You go tell Maguire to play at full back he'd be wank without training. AWB has tackling, strength and speed on his side - he is not exactly the best positioned full back anyway and he barely has to head a ball. We also miss nothing in the attacking department of he shifts

With serious positional training and phased games here and there (rotation against 'weaker' teams) its worth a shot in my opinion
As bad as Lindelof is at heading, he had a win rate of 66%, compared to AWB who had it in thirties (I believe 37% or so). And this is with Lindelof attempting more headers (and probably has a harder time cause strikers are taller than wingers). So yes, Lindelof is not great at it, but he is a Van Dijk in comparison to AWB.

Andersons Dietician

I really don’t get this notion of making him a CB. Who even started it?

He’d be horrendous as a CB. His best attribute is that he can chase people down and has some sort of incredible knack of going to ground wrapping his legs around and getting a ball. However as many CB will say if you have to go to ground then you made a mistake and as good as Bissaka is at a sliding tackle I don’t want to see him taking those risks in central defence and generally his all round defensive ability isn’t that great.

He’d need a massive turnaround in his reading of the game, aerial ability and so on. For now let’s leave him learning the RB spot and see where he is in 5 years.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Was very disappointed with him tonight and have been with him in general since the restart, up until Covid I thought he was one of our best players but he doesn't look like he's come back after the break, hope he sorts it out for next season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
AWB could offer more going forward, although there was a ball he drove across the box second half that was begging to be slide tackled in. However, defensively he is such an asset. In extra time as they were trying to get something going he blocked their left hand sided players over and over.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
By the end of the next season even the biggeat wan bissaka fans on here will have lost patience. He's never going to be good enough when we have the ball.

You can see the players are now reluctant to give him the ball in the final third as they know he will either lose it or just give it them straight back.

Defensively he's still good but that's not enough for 50m quid and it's not enough for a team aspiring to be back winning league titles. I think he will lose his starting spot in a season or two.

Silas

By the end of the next season even the biggeat wan bissaka fans on here will have lost patience. He's never going to be good enough when we have the ball.

You can see the players are now reluctant to give him the ball in the final third as they know he will either lose it or just give it them straight back.

Defensively he's still good but that's not enough for 50m quid and it's not enough for a team aspiring to be back winning league titles. I think he will lose his starting spot in a season or two.
Agreed. We obviously have more pressing issues at the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me if the majority eventually turn on him.

drdoityourself

A team with one good defensive fullback should be comfortable with having one very attacking on the other half. Palace did have a good balance with van Aanholt opposite wan Bissaka.
But Wan Bissaka isn't even 23 years old and has just 2 years of top flight football behind him. He is already very good defensively so I have faith that he can focus more on improving his attacking skillset going forward. I am intrigued how this team would look on balance if we'd sign a better attacking left back.

Suedesi

He kills all of our moves on the right wing. Needs to be sold, he's not a good footballer (and yes I know we bought him for 50m quid, but he's an expensive mistake).

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
He's growing in confidence on the ball game after game and it's showing for me. Based on the comments after this game, people are expecting prime Antonio Valencia MK2 (RB edition) from him already.

The kid has played a lot of football over the past 2 years after his jump up and he's not the only one struggling with the pace; Rashford, Bruno, Maguire have played similar minutes post restart and are also not at their best.

Blood Mage

I'm sorry but he's inexcusably poor going forward. Williams is even worse but at least he's only backup. AWB has a lot of work to do on his attacking play if he doesn't want to be replaced next year since Solskjaer's system requires the fullbacks to provide the width. Boy do we miss Shaw.

PitTon

The first thing he needs to change is his position when we're in possession. The whole flank is there for him to move up as Greenwood moves inside. But no, he hardly get over half line. There is space for him to attack or at least make the defenders have something to think about, he just stays deep, gets the ball, passes simply. He's great at defending 1vs1, but everytime you see other fullbacks have attacking senses or so it really is exciting.

Redlyn

Frankly i don't think we can't afford to be this limited going forward. He gets into good positions and just sends the ball in the general direction of defenders. At least he is reasonably solid. We miss Shaw really badly.

Okey

AWB could offer more going forward, although there was a ball he drove across the box second half that was begging to be slide tackled in. However, defensively he is such an asset. In extra time as they were trying to get something going he blocked their left hand sided players over and over.
That ball across the box, if he looks up, it's a fairly easy cut back to Martial (I think), rather than the speculative ball across. I really hope he can improve going forward. Solid defensively, as usual. A very good RW will help...

binary bot
The first thing he needs to change is his position when we're in possession. The whole flank is there for him to move up as Greenwood moves inside. But no, he hardly get over half line. There is space for him to attack or at least make the defenders have something to think about, he just stays deep, gets the ball, passes simply. He's great at defending 1vs1, but everytime you see other fullbacks have attacking senses or so it really is exciting.
Agreed. I see comments on his delivery but I think his positioning is the far bigger problem. He doesnt get the ball in space as frequently as he should.

When you're attacking down the left as much as we are and with Greenwood tucking in, the switch should be on 10 times a game. Its not as if he doesnt excel at recovering defensively.

Is it instructions? Is it the lack of pace at CB? The lack of midfield cover when Pogba is pushed high up? I dont know.

I accept he has deficiencies in his game going forward, but he's not even doing the bare minimum positioning wise as an attacking fullback.

The United

I have said it a few times before. Watching him control the ball and run with it, it looks so awkward that I feel like I am falling out of the chair myself. Such a weird feeling. It is hard to explain.

Rajma

Should be docked his weekly wages for every attempt to pass it to Greendwood who's running away from the goal towards the corner flag while being marked down by 2/3 defenders. What the the heck is going through his mind when he tries that pass? Is he thinking Greenwood with his back to the goal while surrounded by several players will do something useful there? Very dumb play.

Status
Not open for further replies.