6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

He's been incredibly impressive so far. I do hope his gangly style of defending doesn't get him injured though, he is all legs everywhere when he tackles.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He doesn't have to be great at crossing to be a very good fullback going forward. He's already shown in a couple of games that he can link up very well with the midfielders and forwards IMO. Being great at crossing is a good weapon to have if there's a strong aerial presence in the forward ranks which we don't have. But he's more than capable of providing a attacking outlet to open up space and his close control in confined spaces has been on point. Still only 21 and has strings to his bow that the likes of TAA and Walker don't have IMO. Will only get better due to still only being 21 and already showing a very high level of approach/linkup play.

romufc

He doesn't have to be great at crossing to be a very good fullback going forward. He's already shown in a couple of games that he can link up very well with the midfielders and forwards IMO. Being great at crossing is a good weapon to have if there's a strong aerial presence in the forward ranks which we don't have. But he's more than capable of providing a attacking outlet to open up space and his close control in confined spaces has been on point. Still only 21 and has strings to his bow that the likes of TAA and Walker don't have IMO. Will only get better due to still only being 21 and already showing a very high level of approach/linkup play.

Think because he is so good defensively, it is so natural to him. Hopefully, training everyday with the Mid / Forwards he can develop an understanding.

I think we are probably the worst in the Prem when it comes to crossing the ball. None of our wingers have a decent cross. Even though we seem to have a decent size, our corners are useless as well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Think because he is so good defensively, it is so natural to him. Hopefully, training everyday with the Mid / Forwards he can develop an understanding.

I think we are probably the worst in the Prem when it comes to crossing the ball. None of our wingers have a decent cross. Even though we seem to have a decent size, our corners are useless as well.
I also think people tend to forget he's still getting to know his team mates. Once he better understands the play style and off the ball movement of our forward thinking players, the better he'll play in attack. The confidence will also grow and he'll play with even more freedom. Defensively he'll get even better with his positoning too, if you take into account half the back line are new to playing with one an other and are still finding their feet in a new setup under a different approach/pressure that they've been accustomed to.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Something very strange happened after the yellow. He wasn't the same player. At all.

Thiagoal

Against teams that park the bus he’s as much use as a chocolate teapot

el3mel

Unfortunately these are the games when his lack of attacking output will show. Palace didn't care about attacking for the majority of the game.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Something very strange happened after the yellow. He wasn't the same player. At all.
He must've felt it was a bit of a risk to lunge in with his usual style of winning the ball, even if his success rate is pretty good.

Booking was incredibly harsh given the frequency Palace were chopping our attacks down.

I'd like to see him get down the line more, but he's doing very well so far. He uses the ball well, and always seems to find a good pass in tight spaces. He just needs to run at his man now and again. Looked knackered in those last 10 minutes though.

Untd55

I am not sure what people are expecting him to do. Do you want him to cross into a bunch of players who are useless in the air? There is a reason we don't score goals from freekicks, corners and crosses.

I feel he has done some good on the ground passes and a few good crosses in the last two games, but poor control has led to the loss of possession in decent areas by the receiving player.

criticalanalysis

To be fair to him, he has been up and down that right wing on his own for much of the last three games.

We've had James and Rashford on his side but it's not really like they play in front of him.

I think he could be more of an attacking outlet if we actually were set up to properly dominate possession and was able to move the ball faster. I hate to use City or Liverpool as an example but their full backs receive the ball much higher up the pitch and with less full pitch sprints. Their midfielders cover that ground and recycle the ball in much better positions.

Everytime he goes up, if we lose the ball, he has to cover the whole right side again.

He's more than fine.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
To be fair to him, he has been up and down that right wing on his own for much of the last three games.

We've had James and Rashford on his side but it's not really like they play in front of him.

I think he could be more of an attacking outlet if we actually were set up to properly dominate possession and was able to move the ball faster. I hate to use City or Liverpool as an example but their full backs receive the ball much higher up the pitch and with less full pitch sprints. Their midfielders cover that ground and recycle the ball in much better positions.

Everytime he goes up, if we lose the ball, he has to cover the whole right side again.

He's more than fine.
The same course when Young and Valencia were there then?

criticalanalysis

The same course when Young and Valencia were there then?
Yes but being a defensive rock and a much better player on the ball, whilst getting involved in many link up situations.

He's playing like Valencia did in that very good 18months spell but on the front foot as we're pressing way more.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yes but being a defensive rock and a much better player on the ball, whilst getting involved in many link up situations.

He's playing like Valencia did in that very good 18months spell but on the front foot as we're pressing way more.
Yeh. So the 'he's been alone on that right side" shouldn't be an excuse.

Bwuk

He really needs to improve going forward otherwise this will be a position we need to upgrade on in a few years.

He’s a good defender but that’s not enough. I actually think he’d do well as a ball winner in a 433.

Bobski

He was never close to the finished article and people were going foolishly over the top with the praise after pre season and the first couple of games. Good player, plenty to work on and improve and little reason why he can't, only his second season really.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Great player and defender suddenly becomes hesitant after receiving a yellow card

Caf wonder what could possibly have been the reason for said players hesitancy.

This is the fanbase we're dealing with :lol:

nyanza

Great player and defender suddenly becomes hesitant after receiving a yellow card

Caf wonder what could possibly have been the reason for said players hesitancy.

This is the fanbase we're dealing with :lol:
Not surprising, here everyone is as good as their last game.

Devil may care

Not as good as his first two games but he was ok, he faded out a bit when James moved to the left as they seem to have struck up a bit of an understanding.

Sky12

Supports
Chelsea
Enough with all this not attacking enough thing. A RB job is to defend first which he his clearly good at. The rest can also be developed and if he doesn't, well is a defender and a pretty good one at that.

Giving the choice, I will 100% take him at Chelsea over Pogba. Best £50 million UTD have sent in a very long time, he is the least of your problems.

criticalanalysis

Yeh. So the 'he's been alone on that right side" shouldn't be an excuse.
He had practically shut down his right side whilst effectively being a winger in the 2nd half, providing width and was on a yellow card.

Could he have done better? Sure but your expectations seem a way off from one player's contribution or the lack of.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not his greatest game. Hopefully he'll bounce back to insane levels very soon. Was far from terrible though.

MetoTTT

The only pleasant thing I can remember from this game is...omg we can be dangerous on the right side again. AWB and Harry will be both good signings imo.

LoneStar

Was fine. Good defensively and okay at attack. He wasn't as bad as people are making him out to be.

Even if he crossed more, it would be pointless. We have no presence in the air inside the box. We could have put in a 100 more crosses or dead ball situations and the result would still be the same.

It's shocking how bad we are in dead ball situations.

Bwuk

Enough with all this not attacking enough thing. A RB job is to defend first which he his clearly good at. The rest can also be developed and if he doesn't, well is a defender and a pretty good one at that.

Giving the choice, I will 100% take him at Chelsea over Pogba. Best £50 million UTD have sent in a very long time, he is the least of your problems.
Don’t agree. No top European side plays with full backs who can’t attack.

The United

He is nowhere near a finished article obviously. People are just OTT with the praise for him. He is a good defender and even then needs to sort out a few flaws to become better at it. And, he will.

Now, about his attacking ability. He will have to do more playing for United.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He had practically shut down his right side whilst effectively being a winger in the 2nd half, providing width and was on a yellow card.

Could he have done better? Sure but your expectations seem a way off from one player's contribution or the lack of.
No he wasn't "practically shut down his right side while effectively being a winger". He didn't shut down that right side (tormented by Zaha, and that 2nd goal), and he wasn't an effective winger also (didn't contribute much on attack). And that with Palace being defensive all game especially after their goal. Once at the end they attack, it was a goal on his side.

Last edited:

Stevondo8

No he wasn't "practically shut down his right side while effectively being a winger". He didn't shut down that right side (tormented by Zaha, and that 2nd goal), and he wasn't an effective winger also (didn't contribute much on attack). And that with Palace being defensive all game especially after their goal. Once at the end they attack, it was a goal on his side.
Granted the 2nd goal came from his side, but he had just tackled Zaha and ball broke PVA’s way. Bit harsh criticising him for that IMO.

snowkarl

He is a very good athlete and a solid defender but holy the amount of times I've seen him referred as the 'best defensive full back in Europe' and 'best tackler in the world' after a few games - total delusion.

Needs to improve a LOT technically and he has to improve his composure and decision making, which of course will come with time and good coaching. I just hope he doesn't get poor coaching and his confidence destroyed by our insanely poor management of young talent (baptism by fire -> no coaching -> no improvement -> hated by entire fanbase) but with our non existent coaching I worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.