Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion

We definitely need a leftback who bombs forward to complement him though. Lucas Digne from Everton would be perfect.

Rossa

No, I wasn't joking and I obviously watched the match having cited what I saw, no need to be all apoplectic because I don't share your view. In particular because he won MOTM and having watch the match post seeing the commentary by pundits and in the post match thread and here, I was looking for as you put it world class performance. He had his what I would say normal moments where he would get in a great tackle and also did well for staying on Sterling after Lindelof gave the ball away. However, the number of times Sterling got by him and also his giving away of the ball poorly and even their goal has me, my take is that it was one of his weaker performances. Still the best defensive right back in the league for me and I the type of player I expect to learn from it.
Sterling got past him two or three times early on in the first half as he out-accelerated AWB. After that, AWB adapted his game and came out on top every time. If anything, that proves that not only is he a great defender, he is very good tactically. Sterling outsmarted him by going on the outside, but then he caught on and got closer to Sterling. In the second half, when City were dominated as they were, Sterling didn't get a sniff. I think the Norwegian pundits (And Darren Fletcher as he was in the studio) commented that what's the point attacking down that side. Perhaps you have got it wrong?

thepolice123

Great game - Saved us numerous times, but most when he ran across the box after sterling and tackled him from the wrong side. I thought he was going to give away a pen, but most likely saved us a goal. Fans favourite.
Edge of the seat stuff there, whole incident played out like it was in slow-mo. I thought we were a definite goner, either going to be a goal or a PK.

Looking back it was an insane piece of defending. Sterling had a yard headstart and he came from behind to make the tackle from the wrong side.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Meh, thanks for the condescending bit. As I said he was excellent. But it wasnt the best defensive peformance in 6 years. And every great defensive fullback peformance doesn't see the player completely skinned three times. There's the winger getting his nose ahead of you and then that. Like I said, it happens when you're up against a top team and top player but it's not an era peak performance imo.
Serious question. Have you played fullback before, for any length of time? It sounded like Gary Neville criticising goalkeepers.

What is this era peak performance you're thinking of, where an elite winger, in top form, getting plenty of the ball, didn't beat his fullback once? It doesn't ring any bells to me. Sounds like pure fantasy, which is the original point.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We definitely need a leftback who bombs forward to complement him though. Lucas Digne from Everton would be perfect.
Brandon Williams is growing into that player. A couple MotM performances, and a couple so-so ones. But he' young and has improved tremendously this year. Hopefully he continues.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
ITT: People not quite seeing what a extreme feat it is to completely shut down Raheem Sterling. (after getting passed early first hafl to be fair). Sterling is one of the few people last season who managed to dribble past him as well.

He's MotM because of the way he locked down our right side. And to be fair, he has done that all season. I generally breathe a sigh of relief if I see attacks and rushes coming down the right, because it 99% of the time stops if it gets anywhere near AWB. KINDA different from the Ashley Young period of 2018/2019

passing-wind

A special player and half posters on here wanted an overrated Belgium in Meunier who at the time got benched by a centre half filling in his position in Kreher.

Dante

Average bang
Best 1 v 1 defender in the world.

There, I said it.

But for his sake (and ours), he needs a better press-resistant CM close to him at all times.
Martin Keown just said he’s the best 1v1 defender in the league and even better than he himself was.
I said it before him.

FFS, I don't want people thinking I take my cue from Martin Fecking Keown.

Dion

Brandon Williams is growing into that player. A couple MotM performances, and a couple so-so ones. But he' young and has improved tremendously this year. Hopefully he continues.
That's very generous to one or two of his performances.

thepolice123

That's a bit much. Sterling beat him comfortably around 3 times and we got away with it becuase City had no presence in the centre. But all in all AWB did excellently
He was up against Sterling in 1 v 1 situations with arces of space around. He had to stop him both from going outside or cutting in because we concentrated our efforts on the left side. Its a nightmare situation to be in for any defender to be in, even Maldini.

Given the amount of take-ons, if Sterling didn't even manage to beat him once, it would be down to Sterling being a shit dribbler than AWB being a good defender.

fps

Some people in here are criticising Wan Bissaka’s performance, after one of the best displays by a full back in a defensive capacity I’ve seen this year. The mind boggles, he was utterly outstanding against one of the best wide attackers in world football. Not since Ashley Cole have I seen a full back take on and ultimately win a one on one battle like that against such high quality opposition, in that manner.

mu4c_20le

He looked shaky for the first 15 minutes and I remember thinking it's going to be a long night for him. Then he settled in and dominated the game. It's easy to forget that this is only his second full season in the league. Occasionally he will make mistakes, but he seems to be mentally strong and doesn't get rattled.

DRM

Reminded me of wes brown v Barca in the CL semi.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some people in here are criticising Wan Bissaka’s performance, after one of the best displays by a full back in a defensive capacity I’ve seen this year. The mind boggles, he was utterly outstanding against one of the best wide attackers in world football. Not since Ashley Cole have I seen a full back take on and ultimately win a one on one battle like that against such high quality opposition, in that manner.
We could have a prime Ashley Cole and people would complain. It’s getting beyond a joke now.
So he isn’t getting as many assists as TAA? So bloody what. He can’t defend for toffee and is carried by VVD.

AWB is amazing and will only get better. Let’s not forget he’s only had 4 months of having to be an offensive player, it’ll take time getting used to it. Already I think he’s doing well.

Tiber

Fantastic player who I love to watch. I have no time for criticism of AWB

Steven7290

You see defenders going absolutely mad after making tackles like his, then you see this guy with an ice cold face after breathtaking tackles. I think i'm in love

meninred

He is probably the best in the premiere league on "One on One" without commiting too many fouls. He may not contribute much on the attack as full backs are expected nowadays but his primary job is to defend.

dbs235

Let’s not forget he’s only had 4 months of having to be an offensive player, it’ll take time getting used to it. Already I think he’s doing well.
Exactly, it's a different role to the one he had at Palace, he's now playing for a team that are used to having the ball. His defensive ability means he deserves time to improve his attacking play.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is there any player who regularly uses his weaker foot to win tackles? AWB uses a lot, probably saves him half a second to win tackles.

roonster09

Scout
Great against Spurs and then backed it up with arguably the best individual performance by a United player this season.
Yeah, he played against 2 of the quickest players who are also very good dribblers, won the duels more often than not. Any other RB, we might have struggled a lot.

roonster09

Scout
ManUtd defenders have won 119 tackles in PL this season, AWB alone won 62. That's 52%.

ThinkTank@Cafe

During the last 6 years our community became so afraid of positive perception of the team and players that we look to add some negativity to every positive comment. Like: “AWB is a colossus of a defender, but he’s shit going forward”. Well, dare I say, he’s actually good going forward in our tactical setup. He is composed under pressing, releases ball quickly and precisely, initiating momentum. He smartly supports attacking play from the middle of the pitch. Yes, he is not a dribbler/crosser sideline hugging fullback. That’s why we have James ahead of him who is a natural old fashioned winger. Great signings, brilliant managerial thought behind those decisions. As a combo, these two covered so many wholes in our set up just for £65M. Well done, Ole.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wonder if training with this guy is actually making a player like Rashford better too.

Must require different type of work to get past him on regular basis - that balance of width and central positions that Rashford needs to get past him whilst Wan Bissaka just covers both flanks like a robot.
Absolutely insane.

Canagel

I would love someone like Juan Bernat but that would not be realistic I think. We should get Tagliafico from Ajax. The PL will rinse you.

Status
Not open for further replies.