Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

Did a lot of good things but also several awful moments too. His defending for their goal and the earlier Otamendi header from a corner was poor.

Best moment was chasing Sterling across our penalty area then tackling him as he was about to shoot.

Devil may care

I was hearing the sound from Sonic when he collects coins by the end of the game he made so many tackles.

Machine Elements

Incredible defensive performance from him. Had Sterling in his pocket.

If only he had the attacking qualities to the same level. Or we could somehow make a hybrid out of Dalot & him into one RB.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Arguably the single best defensive performance I’ve seen from one of our players in the last 6 years. Imagine that level of performance in that 06 to 09 team on the right hand side
You say that like the right side was a weakness. Brown was brilliant :drool:

NoMidfielders

Our best signing in quite a while, what a player he is. That tackle from behind on Sterling where he chased him across the box was sensational.

Lynty

Spiderman

But Sterling pasted him at least 3/4 times minimum
Sterling goes past everyone, he's a great dribbler.

AWB recovered well and over the course of the match, dominated that individual dual.

Dante

Average bang
Best 1 v 1 defender in the world.

There, I said it.

But for his sake (and ours), he needs a better press-resistant CM close to him at all times.

Andersons Dietician

Normally I would say a defender that goes to ground as much is not that good but the boy has made it an art-form. If I saw Valencia, Young or any other fullback looking to slide like he does I’d be closing my eyes expecting them to give away a foul or miss but his timing is so damn good. I think I’ve seen him miss one tackle this season, that’s the only one I can think of.

Do feel at times he does take a risk going to ground all the time as there was one today where he had Sterling beat for pace and power and could easily have just taken possesion of the ball but he went for the cruncher.

TheReligion

Abusive
Does the Caf like him again now? Such a bipolar place.

The lad is class and only 21/22. He'll improve going forward obviously but what a talent. Great signing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Arguably the single best defensive performance I’ve seen from one of our players in the last 6 years. Imagine that level of performance in that 06 to 09 team on the right hand side
Simply phenomenal. Sterling had no chance tonight, hence the switch. Defensively I don't think there's a better full back out there.

ManchesterYoda

I'd love to see an interception/blocking/tackling stat

I swear it's well over 20. NOTHING got past him.
It is over 20, but he was dribbled 4 times, so "nothing got past him" is an exaggeration.

5 tackles, 2 interceptions, 7 clearances, 9 blocks. The 9 blocks is what is most impressive in this particular match, not his tackling.
3 blocked shots, 4 blocked crosses and 2 blocked passes.

It's as though, because he was dribbled 3 times in the first half, I think all by Sterling, he decided to activate beast mode for the rest of the game.

His passing was awful though, I wish he would improve that side of his game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Normally I would say a defender that goes to ground as much is not that good but the boy has made it an art-form. If I saw Valencia, Young or any other fullback looking to slide like he does I’d be closing my eyes expecting them to give away a foul or miss but his timing is so damn good. I think I’ve seen him miss one tackle this season, that’s the only one I can think of.

Do feel at times he does take a risk going to ground all the time as there was one today where he had Sterling beat for pace and power and could easily have just taken possesion of the ball but he went for the cruncher.
The thing is it’s not actually a slide, he doesn’t slide into people out of control. He’s almost crawling along the floor and hooks out with his leg, no wonder he’s nicknamed the spider.

its so strange watching him but damn do the crowd love it. Every time he nails somebody we should shout spider or something :lol:

it’s a really odd feeling not expecting any attacker to get passed a defender isn’t it? I was even surprised sterling got passed him a few times - a world class player in sterling?! Of course he would a few times.

I’d quite happily state that AWB came out on top though.

shout out to James for always backing him up also.

Castia

Absolutely brilliant today and for most of this season, great signing.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Sterling will be having nightmares for weeks after that. It was an imperious defensive performance apart from that one moment where Ottamendi just powered through him like he wasn’t even there, but I’m inclined to just say that was some run and header by Otta.

Needs to get better at passing and just generally his offensive decisions but he was a wall today.
"To see that stat that I haven't scored in 16 games against them, it's a wake-up call. I'll be taking a lot more shots than I usually do."
Reality = zero shots on target and Bissaka has a big part in that. Don't know what it is with Sterling, but it was another poor performance against us. Him and Kane tend to get dominated against us. Prior to the season, I predicted Bissaka would be a defensive liability in the Manchester Derby, as I wasn't convinved by him defensively, and I'm still not. But it was really inspired performance from him.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Sterling will be having nightmares for weeks after that. It was an imperious defensive performance apart from that one moment where Ottamendi just powered through him like he wasn’t even there, but I’m inclined to just say that was some run and header by Otta.

Needs to get better at passing and just generally his offensive decisions but he was a wall today.
Yeah, it's hard to stop that chance when someone gets to run 12 yards on their way up to meet the ball. Otamendi is winning that everytime if there's no one running in alongside him.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

When you come to it and you can't go through it and you can't knock it down you know that you found THE WALL. THE WALL. THE WALL.

He is 5/10 on the ball but 11/10 off it.

A-man

Was dribbler by Sterling at the beginning but then he locked the shop. Great in defence. Poor ball control but I can live with that, and it’s understandable when the intensity was so high at times.

Rabbiz

Got bulldozed by Odamendi for their goal.. is what people would've said if it was Lindelöf.

Great game by him. You can't get passed by him. He and James got the right wing locked down.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
His lack of ball playing ability and offensive skills put me off. Opposing teams also know about this weakness and target him. In every build up from the back opposing teams close off our left side and leave space on the right so the pass from the CB will go to Wan then they'll pressure him and he's most likely to lose possession.

His offensive contribution is non existent. I'm not one obsessed with attacking fullbacks but he needs to improve his ability on the ball because they are vital to bring the ball from the back or opening another chanel for the CBs to play through without us likely losing possession as soon as he's pressed.

Rolaholic

One of the finest defensive performances I've seen in a while. Sterling has savaged just about every RB in the league and was largely pocketed by him.

He's so impressive as a defender,some improvement moving forward and he'll be up there as one of the best FB's in Europe imo.

macheda14

He’s such a fantastic player, yes in the current game you hope your fullback should be great going forward, but that has been to the detriment of their defensive abilities. He’s quite ‘old school’ in that sense. I still think in a confident team he actually will add something to our attack because his one touch play is quite good, he won’t send in good crosses but he can still help to overload the attack. I’m hoping he can be more like Evra in that sense. Evra didn’t send in many great crosses, but he was always making runs, dribbles, and pulling players out of position

criticalanalysis

His lack of ball playing ability and offensive skills put me off. Opposing teams also know about this weakness and target him. In every build up from the back opposing teams close off our left side and leave space on the right so the pass from the CB will go to Wan then they'll pressure him and he's most likely to lose possession.
I think his touch and technique are generally good. His final ball as an attacking is definitely poor.

However, I think the bolded parts is a bit unfair to pin on him. Part of that problem is due to him receiving the ball from Lindelof, who despite being hailed as a ball playing defender plays awkward balls to feet and doesn't take command of situations fast enough. For example when pressed, he's far more likely to go back to De Gea, go long or fire a ball to AWB down the channels. I find he's on his back feet quite a bit and doesn't release the ball fast enough or lacks confidence carrying it when pressed. A good example, was when he got mugged by Sterling today; that was a situation that should have been dealt with way easier than his fudged one-two.

Generally I've been impressed with AWB's ability to recycle possession in tight spaces and I like his efforts i.e he's not a Young and hoof it down the line type but we're not properly creating the right angles and spaces for it. Sometimes it's forced and that puts him in uncomprising situations, which you can also put down to inexperience (due to overplaying). To help, McTominay/James and the '10' all have to drop back much faster to give Lindelof/AWB the space to play it out from the back. Conversely, the left side is slightly stronger because Fred, Rashford and Martial (better ball players) all naturally drift to that flank.

In the grander scheme of things though, these details need to be worked on i.e coached on the training field.

RedDevilRoshi

One of the best performances by a Manchester United RB in years! He was absolutely outstanding! Sterling couldn’t get away from him.

MOTM by a country mile!

Status
Not open for further replies.