Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

Sorry I don't see it. And plenty others don't either. He's not the type of player who is going to help win us titles. Be good in games when we are under siege but apart from them he just flatters to deceive. His general play on the ball is woeful for £50m.

Don't agree? That's fine. But eventually his place will come under threat due to this fact.
Plenty more that those others, actually see it. Not one player is going to help win us titles don't worry, we have to build a functioning team. Yeah I would like AWB to be like Rafael was in attack in addition to his defensive side (which has been off in recent games) but he is not, still he is a damn good RB and we have much bigger worries that him. I fecking hope that Laird develops like we all wish him to, and he takes his place, but as of now, he is far from being there.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think he's struggling with two things

1. Having Matic as the only defensive minded midfielder... When we were playing with Scott and Fred, you would have Scott as the right DM/CM helping out on his area.

2. Having Mason in front of him- who doesn't really have much defensively to his game at the moment (it'll come the more he plays there and the more experience he gets)

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Plenty more that those others, actually see it. Not one player is going to help win us titles don't worry, we have to build a functioning team. Yeah I would like AWB to be like Rafael was in attack in addition to his defensive side (which has been off in recent games) but he is not, still he is a damn good RB and we have much bigger worries that him. I fecking hope that Laird develops like we all wish him to, and he takes his place, but as of now, he is far from being there.
Being defensively solid will only get us so far. Fullbacks these days are getting more and more space in attack. It's how the game has progressed. Trent is obviously out on his own as the best in the league but I'd rather have Doherty or Ricardo Pereira too.

From what I have seen of Laird..... AWB will be out of the side sooner than later. I even think Brandon Williams could take his place as he's right footed playing left back.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am so torn apart about him. Regarding all other players i have clear picture. With him i change my opinion every match.
I see him like this. He is bellow average in attack. Valencia is Dani Alves comparing to AWB. And i don't understand how people can still deny that. However for me he is best defensive FB in league.
So when i think about it, it is simple. If he will be a monster in defence then i can accept his flaws in attack but when he is not at top level in defence then he is not good enough for Man Utd.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Last night further highlighted the need for more attacking qualities in the position. Or at least, footballing quality. It’s far more than providing assists. When games are strangled in the middle, a lot of build up is done via the full backs. Imagine having to build play through Wan Bissaka over and over again? Shaw doesn’t have good delivery, but he at least has good command of the ball, and can travel with it and pass/link play going forward.

Ethan Laird will have this guy’s place within a couple of years.

Stacks

He needs rigourous passing, technique and crossing training. Maybe give him to Pep or Van Gaal for an intense training course because they seem to make passers of everyone.

CG1010

Can he transition next season at CB? We need a physical and fast CB and he is good with many defensive aspects of the game. And we go out and get another RB (don't know who though)

tob

Need to work on his footwork and balance.

Can he transition next season at CB? We need a physical and fast CB and he is good with many defensive aspects of the game. And we go out and get another RB (don't know who though)
His timing and heading isn't good enough, in my opinion. Could work in a back three tough.

gajender

His positioning is quite poor ,he is not good in the air and his propensity to lunge into tackles would be disastrous if he is used as Cb. He actually lacks all the attributes to be success as Cb.
Would be much prudent to just let him develop as Rb .

Bwuk

I’m not a massive fan and if we didn’t have other areas on the pitch to upgrade I’d be keen to get a RB.

Hopefully Laird or Williams can kick on.

Ekeke

His positioning is quite poor ,he is not good in the air and his propensity to lunge into tackles would be disastrous if he is used as Cb. He actually lacks all the attributes to be success as Cb.
Would be much prudent to just let him develop as Rb .
He's perfect for a back 3

Man Utd 1:3 Chelsea

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is our new Chris Smalling. Notice how Wan Bissaka is the one who tends to get the most time on the ball in our side because the opposition know how useless he is with it.

saivet

A good one on one defender but the more I watch him the more obvious it becomes to me that he is out of position so often, hence why he makes so many tackles.

Womp

idiot
TFM looked better than he did when coming on, offensively and defensively. He's also faster with and without the ball too. AWB just looks far more suited to a team that is going to be dominated, he can completely shut that side of the pitch down if he isn't having to track up and back so often. Not so sure about a team that wants to play on the front foot.

Based Adnan

TFM looked better. AWB looks tired and sloppy. Should be dropped for West Ham and saved for Leicester.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Wan Bissaka fan boys need to get a clue. This lad can't play football. Awful footballer.

Andersons Dietician

Think he needs a time out. What’s that 4/5 poor games now. Seems like teams have targeted him as well and realise as soon as the ball goes in to him put a bit of preasure on him and he’ll crumble.

Not loving the laziness that is creeping in to his game. He’s always been suspect positionally but now with his new found lack of effort/tiredness it’s costing us. Wouldn’t mind seeing him dropped for the next game and giving Fosu another game.

Should say good interception at one point to stop a ball through.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very poor game, seriously Fosu Mensah looked better when he came on. Maybe he is tired and needs a break, this was the game for that.

Litch

Think some of our players have been found out. Thought it was quite damning that CP left him to cross the ball. I think he needed a break and looks mentally tired. Don't help when your CB's are so indifferent too...

NoMidfielders

Presumably the coaching team are trying to improve this lad going forward, instead they've ruined him at the back and made our attack weaker

King Andow

He's obviously burnt out and that's on Ole but is he fecking awful on the ball, should be dropped.

el3mel

He can't wait any more for the end of the season I guess. Him and Bruno are so knackered they're struggling to even play at the moment.

Corey

He is our new Chris Smalling. Notice how Wan Bissaka is the one who tends to get the most time on the ball in our side because the opposition know how useless he is with it.

Spot on, he's the Chris Smalling of right backs. It's telling that Palace, his former team, were willing to leave him completely free all game because they knew he would do nothing with the ball.

It's a shame because 1v1 he is a great defender, but I think we'll have to upgrade on him at some point as he's simply too poor on the ball .

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Gets a free pass time & time again. Yes he’s very good recovery tackles, but he’s horrible positionally & looks like bambi on ice with the ball at his feet.

If Luke Shaw gets called out this guy should too.

Bojan11

Gets a free pass time & time again. Yes he’s very good recovery tackles, but he’s horrible positionally & looks like bambi on ice with the ball at his feet.

He can’t deal with back post crosses too. Always in the wrong position for them and flat footed.

spiriticon

Absolutely. We have the most limp pair of wingbacks in the PL.

Proper banana peel level limp.

Devil81

I noticed on more than one occasion he didn't get out to the winger fast enough as he exhausted. TFM looked far better when he came on to the field, no idea why he didn't start the match.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Thought we’d signed a hell of a defender after the first few matches of the season but since then it’s just been more and more clear the deficiencies of his game. He’s an unbelievable 1v1 defender but it’s about all he’s got isn’t it?

He’s genuinely shocking on the ball. As said above and I’ve said before, he’s worse than Smalling. Forget attacking or crossing, you can barely trust the lad to pass around the back. His body shape receiving passes is even dreadful. No composure, no technical ability. Clubs have clocked onto the fact and we’ve suffered massively. Honestly, not sure I’ve seen a player as bad on the ball in the league.

And for as much as he’s called an amazing defender, he really isn’t. He’s an amazing 1v1 defender, but that isn’t the only aspect of defending. Poor in the air, poor positioning, poor awareness, and completely lost on cross field balls. Take out the 1v1 and I’d struggle to even call him average defensively tbh. It’s what makes the calls for him to play CB in a 3 all the more laughable. Has absolutely zero aspects you want in a CB.

If he’s going to be good enough he has to make massive strides in his all around game because right now he’s got one skill set and nothing else.

Bwuk

I don’t rate him at all, he’s going to be the new Chris Smalling on here where some rate him as a 1v1 defender but others realise his ability on the ball holds us back.

Ainu

He's struggling at the moment but I don't want to say we have another Darmian on our hands yet. He's shown enough positives throughout the rest of the season. A break should do him wonders at the end of the season.

Silas

I don’t rate him at all, he’s going to be the new Chris Smalling on here where some rate him as a 1v1 defender but others realise his ability on the ball holds us back.
I can accept a debate about this with CBs, but as a fullback, surely everyone is on the same page that his technical ability is absolutely miles off what you'd expect at a top club? Can you imagine someone letting the ball roll out of play like he regularly does in a CL final?

DarkXaero

I liked him a lot earlier in the season, and I do think that he has been good majority of the season, and sometimes, his attacking play has received unfair flak imo. But lately, the guy has been straight up diabolical, and it's to the point where he hardly looks like a professional footballer. Not sure how much of it is fatigue/possible injury, or confidence related, but he clearly isn't playing at the same level that he was earlier in the season. He has horrible first touch, no dribbling ability, awful passing, and a straight up liability in the final third.

Status
Not open for further replies.