Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick7

Exactly how I read it too. If it was something hes instructed against doing why would he always start when fit? Wed get someone else to stick out at RB instead of trying to add steel to a not very aggressive CD. The idea that we're sending him out every week and hes going against instructions, making mistakes but is never dropped for someone else is laughable. Theres merit in what hes doing even if at times it also means hes got it wrong and doesnt get out fast enough. Its taking a risk like anything else, like pressing for example is leaving your position and the space you would normally fill to put pressure on the ball. If he comes central his space is open and in return our central area is better defended
Agreed. I think it would work a lot better if he wasn’t completely alone on the right. Like if we were to play with a formation that would could switch to a 3 at the back defensively with whoever is playing on the right comes back and acts as a wing back.

At the moment without a proper right winger we have Greenwood there, who doesn’t track back so AWB gets constantly overloaded defensively. He’s coming in centrally because that’s what he’s being told to do, yet there’s no one covering the space to his right and he’s being hung out to dry. A player like Park would be perfect for that job.

Lewnited

It definitely seems tactical to me. He's always slotting in close to the centre backs when opposition teams have the ball on their right or in the centre. I would assume it's because Maguire and Lindelof both tend to jockey players running at them and give them space. It causes havoc for our defense as we usually don't have a player that will track back at right wing.
Yeah I'm honestly surprised this is only just being picked up now. We've had both of our full backs tucking in narrow for pretty much the entirety of Solskjaer's time here. What Leipzig did brilliantly against us last week was transitioning the ball in to the spaces outside the full backs quicker that our midfielders and wingers could get there to help.

He's made mistakes recently but I still think he has potential to be absolutely immense.

tomaldinho1

Agreed. I think it would work a lot better if he wasn’t completely alone on the right. Like if we were to play with a formation that would could switch to a 3 at the back defensively with whoever is playing on the right comes back and acts as a wing back.

At the moment without a proper right winger we have Greenwood there, who doesn’t track back so AWB gets constantly overloaded defensively. He’s coming in centrally because that’s what he’s being told to do, yet there’s no one covering the space to his right and he’s being hung out to dry. A player like Park would be perfect for that job.
This has been the case since day one but people just refuse to see it. Many fans watch football a game at face value, if a goal is scored from our right hand side, the fault must lie with the RB and vice versa for the left back but just ignore we clearly instruct AWB to come in narrow. I've pointed it out to people on here so many times and they just ignore once they realise you're right but look at Maguire/Lindelof/AWB positioning for when we are out of possession, Lindelof deliberately goes the wrong side of his man because it is a tactic that AWB comes in behind him. It makes sense to a point because DDG doesn't really sweep and both our CBs are relatively slow.

Personally I think it's just another case of Ole being too cautious/defensive and it pretty much negates our RW offensively and makes it easier to exploit.

eire-red

I wouldn't agree. Look at the stats:

Per 90 minutes:

Tackles:

Fred 2.9
AWB 2.8
DvB 2.4
McT 2.3
Bruno 2.1
Luke Shaw 1.8

Interceptions:
Matic 2.6
Maguire 2.2
McT 1.9
Cavani 1.5
AWB, Fred 1.4
Lindelof 1.3
Luke Shaw 0.8

Clearances
Maguire 3.8
Lindelof 3.7
Luke Shaw 1.9
AWB 1.8
Cavani 1.5

Shot blocks
Lindelof 0.6
AWB 0.5
DvB, McT, Luke Shaw, Maguire 0.4
Matic 0.3
That's interesting, just out of curiosity are these for so far this season? I wonder what they were last season, I'd imagine higher as he seems a bit off the pace so far this season.

I would have thought he's be top of the tackling stats, but just looking at those it seems like he'd be top if you aggregated them all together to give a total score per 90 minutes?

A-man

That's interesting, just out of curiosity are these for so far this season? I wonder what they were last season, I'd imagine higher as he seems a bit off the pace so far this season.

I would have thought he's be top of the tackling stats, but just looking at those it seems like he'd be top if you aggregated them all together to give a total score per 90 minutes?
Yes it’s the stats from PL played so far this season for players who played more than 5 games. His stats last season (PL) were clearly higher for tackles, and slightly higher for interceptions:

Tackles 3.8
Interception 1.9
Clearances 1.7
Blocks 0.4

I think his relatively high numbers in those stats reflect on his way to play compared to for example Shaw who defends the other side without tackling so much.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It definitely seems tactical to me. He's always slotting in close to the centre backs when opposition teams have the ball on their right or in the centre. I would assume it's because Maguire and Lindelof both tend to jockey players running at them and give them space. It causes havoc for our defense as we usually don't have a player that will track back at right wing.
Or Ole doesn't want him to be exposed against aerial balls , given he is pretty weak. So stay narrowly compact and stay with CBs so that they can deal with aerial balls and let the winger defend that FB space.

Kind of suicidal like we saw in so many games where the opposition teams get lot of space in that area.

Foxbatt

What makes you think he isnt being instructed to do this? If it was something the coaches hate surely he'd be dropped or it would have been worked on already. And he didnt do it at Palace.

Most likely the CBs arent trusted to deal with the central players, which is why be bought a great defensive rightback for £50 million in the first place. So he's in there to be proactive with his tackling and ball winning in the most dangerous area, in the middle
If he is being instructed then it's a stupid instruction. I say this because you need to get the basics rights first. It means every player must be allowed to have the responsibility of doing their job first.
You then cover the space. AWB should be asked to cover the space. He needs to be worried about who is coming behind him and to the left of him first. Then only can he be concerned about the mistakes of other players.

Ekeke

If he is being instructed then it's a stupid instruction. I say this because you need to get the basics rights first. It means every player must be allowed to have the responsibility of doing their job first.
You then cover the space. AWB should be asked to cover the space. He needs to be worried about who is coming behind him and to the left of him first. Then only can he be concerned about the mistakes of other players.
Sounds like you need to have a word to Ole. Clearly he disagrees and doesnt trust our CBs to do it themselves

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Is he the new caf spacegoat? Yeah his tactical skills are not the best right now, but is that really the norm for 22 year olds?

And his crosses are also shite, but he got more assists than Shawn last season so theres that..
I think so yes.

He's inconsistent and can at times be very rough, but he's young and learning. Only his 3rd proper senior season, if he's still this inconsistent in a few years time then we should be worrying but right now he has good games and he has bad games. He also plays way too much and could do with some rotation from time to time.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Occam's razor, most likely you dont understand what hes asked to do rather than he doesnt understand what hes asked to do. You know, because he was the one asked and not you. You're just some person guessing
He's asked to ball watch multiple times this season instead of clearing the ball?

I don't rate Ole as a coach, but even I don't believe that he's that stupid.

Ekeke

He's asked to ball watch multiple times this season instead of clearing the ball?

I don't rate Ole as a coach, but even I don't believe that he's that stupid.
He's asked to be central reinforcing our CBs. Just because he's asked to do that and go out to the wide players later doesnt mean he hasnt got it wrong. He has at times. At others he's done it fine

A-man

He's asked to be central reinforcing our CBs. Just because he's asked to do that and go out to the wide players later doesnt mean he hasnt got it wrong. He has at times. At others he's done it fine
I strongly doubt that he has that instruction. Of course there are situations where he is expected to help and assist the rest of the defence, but not more than anybody else. Lindelof covers behind him more often than the other way around as an example. All the chances and goals conceded because of him being in the wrong place are on him, just like it is for every other player who is dragged out of position or reading the game wrong.

A-man

If Ole doesn’t trust any of his CBs to clear the ball, the most efficient wouldn’t be to ask AWB to leave his side and join the centre. It would be to ask him to stay where he should be to avoid crosses and goals coming from his area.

Ekeke

I strongly doubt that he has that instruction. Of course there are situations where he is expected to help and assist the rest of the defence, but not more than anybody else. Lindelof covers behind him more often than the other way around as an example. All the chances and goals conceded because of him being in the wrong place are on him, just like it is for every other player who is dragged out of position or reading the game wrong.
AWB is always in a central right position until the last moment then goes out to the wide player. Lindelof is never in at rightback. Lindelof covers balls in behind the defence, which are his position and duty (otherwise its Maguire's) he doesnt cover RB at all

A-man

AWB is always in a central right position until the last moment then goes out to the wide player. Lindelof is never in at rightback. Lindelof covers balls in behind the defence, which are his position and duty (otherwise its Maguire's) he doesnt cover RB at all
Lindelof normally covers the whole flank behind AWB when he doesn’t make it back in time. When AWB makes it back, then he moves to a central position instead of taking care of his area. This is the problem more or less everybody, including Leipzig, has observed.

Ekeke

Lindelof normally covers the whole flank behind AWB when he doesn’t make it back in time. When AWB makes it back, then he moves to a central position instead of taking care of his area. This is the problem more or less everybody, including Leipzig, has observed.
AWB has been blamed for goals where Lindelof has stayed central and not covered the right side, leaving a player completely free. He doesnt cover it he sticks to his central position

A-man

AWB has been blamed for goals where Lindelof has stayed central and not covered the right side, leaving a player completely free. He doesnt cover it he sticks to his central position
I’m not sure which goals you refer to?

I think he started relatively good with us, but was a bit overrated, most likely because his style of playing.Even back then, when he had his best period of games, I thought he had poor positioning and awareness, and I can now also add that I think he is poor at decision making.
He is like every fullback supposed to be part of the defence that works as a unit. That means “helps” the CBs and vice versa. Lately he has had worse positioning than before. He is not around at counters, which is normal sometimes, but sometimes it is because his poor decision making. He moves far away without purpose and jogs slowly home and too late. He is also dragged in to the centre, and it is no way an instruction that he should leave forwards and wingers unmarked so they can score and hit crosses I disturbed.

I sound negative towards him, but I do believe in him. I think all this can be improved with proper trainer/coach. I think already his passing and ball handling has improved since last season. People complain about him when they pass around the ball, but one common way we play out of more intense press is Lindelof to AWB to midfielder. And I don’t think his crosses are that bad either, it’s more a receiving than delivering problem imo.

united for life

I think so yes.

He's inconsistent and can at times be very rough, but he's young and learning. Only his 3rd proper senior season, if he's still this inconsistent in a few years time then we should be worrying but right now he has good games and he has bad games. He also plays way too much and could do with some rotation from time to time.
I think he's done well defensively overall. He had some bad games, but I don't see him as a weak link defensively. Raheem Sterling would agree to this for sure.

The problem is him going forward. With the lack of a proper right winger, a lot is being asked of Wan-Bissaka at the final third of the pitch. He's not this kind of full back - yet. Having a natural right winger would surely take pressure off him. As you said, it's his 3rd full season. He came to United after just 1 proper season at Palace. We all know the difference between being a United player vs a Palace player.

I'm not sure why Ole isn't giving a rest from time to time. I'm assuming that after signing Telles, Williams is not Wan-Bissaka's back up? Why not give Williams more game time?

Mike Smalling

I wonder if Ole is ever going to rest AWB. Starting with the game against Spurs on the 4th of October, he has started every single game for us.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Did well today - generally neat in possession and assured defensively. Looked more aware of balls to the far post.
Still think he's a total passenger in games like this. Much rather have a ball playing right back against the worst side in the league.

Against anyone half decent where we might not have a lot of the ball then he's your man all day long.

This is why I think Trippier could be shrewd business for us. He's much better than AWB for games like tonight.

Ekeke

Still think he's a total passenger in games like this. Much rather have a ball playing right back against the worst side in the league.

Against anyone half decent where we might not have a lot of the ball then he's your man all day long.

This is why I think Trippier could be shrewd business for us. He's much better than AWB for games like tonight.
We conceded 2 goals against the bottom team in the league and ended the match with a real possibility of throwing away 2 points. Thats with a defensive fullback being a "passenger". We could play some extra offensive mided players if we had better CBs

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We conceded 2 goals against the bottom team in the league and ended the match with a real possibility of throwing away 2 points. Thats with a defensive fullback being a "passenger". We could play some extra offensive mided players if we had better CBs
He's also cost us a lot of goals too. He's the reason we are out of the CL. Lost his man at back post a lot this season too.

I don't rate him that highly but I didn't before he joined tbf. He's not a £50m player. He's not a title winning fullback. He's got a good recovery tackle in him and he's got 1 on 1.

He's got more flaws to his game than strengths.

Ekeke

He's also cost us a lot of goals too. He's the reason we are out of the CL. Lost his man at back post a lot this season too.

I don't rate him that highly but I didn't before he joined tbf. He's not a £50m player. He's not a title winning fullback. He's got a good recovery tackle in him and he's got 1 on 1.

He's got more flaws to his game than strengths.
Nowhere near as many as Young and Valencia did being out of position

AR87

His run created space in behind for Martial's goal because it dragged the Sheffield marker a bit behind their line, and he could have easily had an assist for Greenwood had his pass after a lovely dinked pass from Bruno not been cut out.

I didn't think much of his performance either way, but felt he actually got into some good positions in attacking areas that opened up space for others and was fine, if not anything spectacular in possession.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Nowhere near as many as Young and Valencia did being out of position
They are hardly the yardstick. Two average wingers who converted into fullbacks.

I'd take Rafael in his Utd days over AWB. Just don't think he's good enough.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Right back is still a weakness for me. I think we could do much better.

It’s a difficult one. He’s work in progress, and I think overall (not on an individual game by game analysis) he’s improving. He’s not helped by the absence of a proper right sided midfielder/ winger, and our slow centre halves. He’s still pretty inexperienced, I think he played less than 50 games for Palace.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We really need another RB don't we?

AWB is fine for the tighter matches but in games like this we need someone who is comfortable with the ball and wants to play forwards, not get scared and go sideways every time.

dutchred

We really need another RB don't we?

AWB is fine for the tighter matches but in games like this we need someone who is comfortable with the ball and wants to play forwards, not get scared and go sideways every time.
we need Laird to stay fit

Hughes35

He's fine. Not a world beater but decent in general play and a good defender.

I think a proper right winger would completely change AWBs game.

RW, CB (replace Lindelof) and CF have to be our priorities. These 3 positions would completely transform us IMO.

Still a big job this Jan and in the summer to get rid of Lingard, Jones, Rojo & Pereira & Ighalo (already leaving). I think they are the reason we didn't invest more in the summer. 4 places in the squad and a load of wage budget wasted on deadwood. Getting rid of these 5 would free up around £500,000 per week in the wage budget which is more or less enough to fund wages for 2-3 of the new players.

Dalot, Bailly, Mata and Matic can leave the year after also with a couple of players coming in.

No brainier for me....... It's crazy how bad the squad was when Ole took over. Really is a complete rebuild.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

RW, CB (replace Lindelof) and CF have to be our priorities. These 3 positions would completely transform us IMO.

Still a big job this Jan and in the summer to get rid of Lingard, Jones, Rojo & Pereira & Ighalo (already leaving). I think they are the reason we didn't invest more in the summer. 4 places in the squad and a load of wage budget wasted on deadwood. Getting rid of these 5 would free up around £500,000 per week in the wage budget which is more or less enough to fund wages for 2-3 of the new players.

Dalot, Bailly, Mata and Matic can leave the year after also with a couple of players coming in.

No brainier for me....... It's crazy how bad the squad was when Ole took over. Really is a complete rebuild.
Agreed, although i would prioritise a quality DM before another CB.

One of our biggest problems right now, is that Ole is adamant about us playing out from the back, but depending on who we play at CM and if we get pressed or not, our success at doing just that swings pretty wildly.

If we can get a DM with a good engine who is just a decent all-rounder i think our transition from defence to attack suddenly is going to go a lot smoother

dutchred

Replace Maguire, he's slow and not good enough in the air

Status
Not open for further replies.