Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grib

Shaw does often tuck in as well but not as centrally as AWB does. AWB just about gets on the central defenders toes, whereas Shaw at least normally keeps a bit wider.
Yeah well he used to be a winger in the youth set up is the story, admittedly I dont know when the conversion was but one can only hope his positional play will improve with age and experience

I guess the real concern being the fact it happens on both flanks (regardless of whos worse for it) is that it might point to a deeper issue, be it a lack of communication in the back line (and)/or partly instructions being taking too literally - ie asking them to tuck in a bit and they just take it to the extremes

Regardless, whatever it is, it needs addressed it was rife last season too. Just imagine Martial, Rashford or Greenwood getting that space 3/4 times a match

RUCK4444

That was driving me crazy all game. Lost count the number of times he left his man free at the back post. If it wasn’t for poor finishing Brighton could’ve scored about 4 or 5 from that exact scenario. Really needs to improve his positioning.
Same here, shouting all game about the absolute acre of space March was getting.

He was consciously going into the box leaving March spare. Bizarre.

DRM

I noticed this towards the end of last season too. Too many times when the ball went out to the right I was screaming at the tele for awb to get tighter to his man! Surely our coaching team would've identified this weakness? Either he's simply not up to the task or we have an inept coaching team. Probably a bit of both.

50 fecking million, jesus wept.

Look at kyle walker, now whats a proper right back!!

luffy7

Same here, shouting all game about the absolute acre of space March was getting.

He was consciously going into the box leaving March spare. Bizarre.
You should be there to shout for Ole. Ole is obviously happy with it sitting there.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Keeps wondering in like he's a CB.

When he's bad, he's awful. His best quality is his defending, you overlook the fact he's average on the ball due to his excellent defending but he can't even do that now! Not just this game too, he was so poor towards end of the season, I hope it's just form and nothing more.

jesperjaap

Agree with the sentiment positionally he has been poor so far. One thing I have noticed and I think it is a purposeful thing from the coaches with him....he is moving the ball on much quicker generally in possesion

arnie_ni

They changed to 5 at the back and still played like an auxiliary cb.

He should have virtually be man marking march as a rwb.

He was dreadful today

Master Yoda

What the hell did I just witness today? This was actualy way and waay worse than Lind last week. How did we get away with this? 7 clear cut chances from that side, unmarked.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Positioning was woeful. There were times you could see him have no idea who was behind him and that was when Brighton would create a chance

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he wasn't told to step inside like and he keeps doing it, why is Ole or his coaches not having a word with him about it? And it's instructions, then it's even more bizarre.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Fair to say that's the worst performance he's had in a United shirt.

Yes, he's just back from his quarantine, yes he's lacking fitness from lack of proper preseason, yes it's his first start of the season, yes Brighton were overloading down their left, yes there was zero support from Greenwood - but AWB's worst game nonetheless.

He could have single handedly cut down their attempts to half with basic positioning.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
That was painful. All the promise of his first three months seems to have evaporated.

He's never making that England squad unless he seriously improves the basics, never mind the attacking side which he lacks.

fergieisold

It was blatantly tactical. He actually had an impossible task today with those tactics. Even if it isn’t how can a manager sit and watch it and not change it. I thought we needed an extra midfielder on to allow Greenwood to stay on because he was causing them problems going the other way.
yeh, I wouldn’t know how to change it but we were essentially playing with 3 strikers and I felt we needed something more in the middle. We looked so exposed at the back time and time again.

SAFMUTD

Surely his worst game in his entire career, I cant believe he got caught out of position so many times. The same play over and over and still he always drifted to the center leaving his man totally unmarked.

Best defensive fullback my arse, needs to improve or be moved on.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Again he is doing same things. When they hit the bar in second half he casually was jogging back and it was a reason why Brighton player had time to control the ball and aim.
This is not overreaction; he is not better than Valencia. We didn't spent well that 50mil

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I felt he was covering Lindelof after what happened last game.

He did it too much though & didnt focus on his own game.

shabz

He's not been great since lockdown which coincides with Mason's emergence in the team on the right. For some reason we just aren't tracking back, and are defending so narrow. Some defensive drilling 101 needs to be put back in the lads. Shocking at times today.

rooney2009

I think He has been instructed to get closer to Lindelof so as not to leave them isolated
That’s why Matic has to drop so deep as well
It is definitely an instruction for the coaches

Pirlo'sBeard

He was abysmal today. He was that bad, on another day he could have been solely responsible for 4 goals. There needs to be an improvement going forward this season, otherwise we will have to coincide that another full-back is needed.

acnumber9

I think He has been instructed to get closer to Lindelof so as not to leave them isolated
Of course it is. Which is causing massive problems elsewhere because our centre backs aren’t physically up to it. It should be obvious it’s instructional because Wan Bissaka, for any faults he has, has never left his flank open like that before.

People who claim he's a great - or even good - defender ignore every aspect of defending other than 1v1.

Positionally terrible - always. Zero sense of danger, or zero care, meaning he jogs back on every counter-attack (happened today as usual).

Here's one example. Look how slow he is to sense danger - jogging back at a canter - despite having the whole picture in front of him:

Last edited:

Jibbs

Never understood why we paid 50 m for this mediocre guy. Had he not been english, he'd be not worth more than 10m.

SaboTaj

That was a dire performance from AWB today. What is wrong with his positioning and why isn’t it being addressed by our manager and coaching staff? It was quite clear to everyone that he kept leaving the Brighton man on their left flank in acres of space whenever the ball was on the other side of the pitch.

Schoolboy defending by one of our defenders for the second game in a row and i have no clue why no one in the game called him out for it.

JawZ

He’s just a good tackler. Poor positioning throughout, gotten past by the attacker several times only for him to stretch and lunge into tackles. Cannot be relied upon in attack in any way, garbage control of the ball. That’s our 50m right back.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If you tell me 1 year ago he would become that shite, I'd probably just laugh.

Nowadays I can't even pull a smile on his performance.

Water Melon

If that is the case, then these coaches need to be replaced.

Tormentor

That was a dire performance from AWB today. What is wrong with his positioning and why isn’t it being addressed by our manager and coaching staff? It was quite clear to everyone that he kept leaving the Brighton man on their left flank in acres of space whenever the ball was on the other side of the pitch.

Schoolboy defending by one of our defenders for the second game in a row and i have no clue why no one in the game called him out for it.
The space that he's responsible for, he was leaving exposed countless times before and not only in today's game. That just tells me that our coaching staff is not up to their task not only for that, but many other things that are going on on the pitch for a very long time. Our squad is not that bad, the main problem is or coaching staff and nobody can convince me otherwise. Give this team to Klopp and you will see what happens in a very short period of time when it comes to discipline and demands on the pitch from coach to his players.

Idxomer

People who claim he's a great - or even good - defender ignore every aspect of defending other than 1v1.

Positionally terrible - always. Zero sense of danger, meaning he jogs back on every counter-attack (happened today as usual).

Here's one example. Look how slow he is to sense danger despite having the whole picture in front of him:

I also think it's weird he was running back in a straight line and never came close to his attacker at the end.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Positionally terrible - always. Zero sense of danger, or zero care, meaning he jogs back on every counter-attack (happened today as usual).

Here's one example. Look how slow he is to sense danger - jogging back at a canter - despite having the whole picture in front of him:

That one is on the Ice Man. Why is he pointing out to attacker, with AWB so far out? While he himself is not marking anyone, FFS.

Suedesi

This muppet can't seem to attack nor defend. Atrocious player. Every danger in the second half came from his flank.

Status
Not open for further replies.