Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
@GifLord can you gif AWB's moonwalk at 56:58-57:00 there? :lol: :lol:

Much better in attack tonight. Actually running on to the ball and continuing his run forward as soon as he receives it makes it so much easier to get a ball in the box than stopping and then having to pass two players in order to get a cross in.

Andersons Dietician

He looked much improved and I really enjoyed his treks forward. Still had a couple of sloppy moments in defence just making poor decisions and the likes but the good far outweighed the bad and that clearance he had was superb.

Just wished he’d either trekked back in to space after the first block or fully committed to it. 2nd time we’ve been done by a quick freekick. Sure he and Maguire were involved in the first one we conceded from.

RedIan

Great assist and also a superb clearance from that killer cross.
But he still drives me insane, one villa attack in the second half he was out of position as usual and just ambled back when he should have been sprinting as villa countered Attacked.
Then that bloody goal, fannying about trying a block instead of getting organised and he just left a villa player free to recieve the ball in the exact area he should cover and they score.... no doubting his ability but i doubt his foot balling brain. He is still a weak link imo. Needs to buck up.

wolvored

We got fleeced buying him. Ok he got an assist tonight, but apart from his last ditch tackle, he is an average at best RB. Hardly any positional sense at all. Aarons looks so much better and hope its true we are after him.

city-puma

Even though I rate McT very highly, it’s McT’s failure not to be aware of Grealish’s position. He should have fill the space.
AWB did very well here. Not his fault.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Sorry Pogue you'll never convince me of that. He shouldn't even be thinking of blocking it in the first place, that isn't his job at all.

Get back into position and mark your man, and that quick free kick isn't even available.

The whole reason he has to panic and try to block it is because he's been lazy and not got back into position in the first place.

To make matters worse he actually managed to block it the first time, then instead of running back he changes his mind and tries to block it for a 2nd time!

Then the just pass it straight through him :D

I thought he had a better game today overall and 1st half especially was a nice performance, but that was absolutely brainless. I really don't see how you can defend him after seeing that clip.
I think you are both right and wrong with it. It's a mistake from AWB in the first place not to get back into position the instant the foul is given away. Basically from the 3 second to 5 second mark in that gif is where he should have been getting back and he does have time to at least get close to Grealish. However, once Villa have the ball and are ready to take it at the 6 second mark AWB probably does the right thing blocking the pass and (rightfully) expecting McTominay to have come over and covered the opening. If AWB stops blocking the freekick they just pass it past him as he's going back and Grealish is away in space.

On a related note, I've never understood why players don't get yellow cards for deliberately blocking free kicks like that. Standing in front of it is one thing, but when blatantly moving and sticking a leg out to stop the pass it should be considered the same as a tactical foul when the opposition are in a dangerous position.

Ekeke

Its both AWB's fault and McTominay's fault. McTom is completely oblivious to Grealish in his zone, AWB probably wouldnt have got back in time to be in a good position with Grealish anyway. But if he was going to try and block the pass he needed to block the pass so still a mistake. Bailly could also go out to Grealish instead of pointing for other people to go out there. He's marking air at that point so its obviously better to get close to Grealish than leave him in space to receive the pass and do whatever he wants

All in all its a big failure from our entire right side of players there. The one thing we shouldnt be doing is letting Grealish have the ball to feet in space towards the penalty area where he can pick a player out. And McTom should have some awareness to know thats whats going on. AWB and Bailly do have the awareness but fail to take the right steps to deal with it

Right. Watch this clip below

3 of them are tackling the same man, grealish is out wide left all by himself. The foul happens and instead of getting back into position he just hovers in the middle of the pitch for literally 5 seconds.

he then realises they’re trying to take the free kick so he tries to block it - then instead of getting back he tries to do it again and they pass straight through him.

if he had any common sense as soon as the foul happens he’d get back into position ASAP. To say that’s not a mistake is just baffling.
Okay let’s break it down:

• The referee blows his whistle at 56:51, incorrectly I’ll add as AWB wins the ball.
• At 56:53 the Villa player has the ball and AWB is instantly preparing at 56:54 to block the quick free as he has sensed the danger.
• After blocking the first attempt he’s now bought his teammate, Scott McTominay until 56:59 to see that danger and go stop it.
• Eric Bailly is clearly seen on the reverse camera telling McTominay to get over.

So AWB reacted to danger in 2-3 seconds, McTominay still hasn’t reacted to any danger after almost TEN SECONDS!! And you’re putting it in AWB?

That’s utterly bizarre.

AWB can’t get to Grealish in 2-3 seconds, McTom can lightly jog to him in 8-9 seconds.
If McTom just struts over to Grealish the danger is over and they likely send another long free kick in to Mings.
If AWB had started running back at 56:53, he’s not going to affect Grealish in any way from running straight at our box, so the outcome is likely similar.

The only thing you can put on the defender there is that he didn’t instantly hear the whistle, turn around and sprint as fast as possible back to his position, but come on how often does that happen in football especially when a freekick is incorrectly given there is nearly always a couple of seconds of reaction time?

Last edited:

thepolice123

Right. Watch this clip below

3 of them are tackling the same man, grealish is out wide left all by himself. The foul happens and instead of getting back into position he just hovers in the middle of the pitch for literally 5 seconds.

he then realises they’re trying to take the free kick so he tries to block it - then instead of getting back he tries to do it again and they pass straight through him.

if he had any common sense as soon as the foul happens he’d get back into position ASAP. To say that’s not a mistake is just baffling.
If he ran back to Grealish instead of standing there they would have took it even faster. Anyway the first rule when a freekick happens is that you block the quick freekick while the team reorganises. You can see McT and Fred clearly weren't interested in doing that, by that logic one of them should have covered the space behind.

We already got punished in the Spurs game when Kane took a quick one because nobody blocked it and Son scored. Disappointing to see the same thing happen again.

Anustart89

Even though I rate McT very highly, it’s McT’s failure not to be aware of Grealish’s position. He should have fill the space.
AWB did very well here. Not his fault.
In a situation where we're trying to block a quick free kick it's obviously the central midfielders who should be doing that while defenders get back into position.

AWB blocks it once immediately, and then for some reason moonwalks out towards the touchline and at no point moves backwards towards Grealish. Poor awareness from him, and poor from McTominay/Fred who should be sending AWB back towards Grealish while they block the quick retake.

DRM

Okay let’s break it down:

• The referee blows his whistle at 56:51, incorrectly I’ll add as AWB wins the ball.
• At 56:53 the Villa player has the ball and AWB is instantly preparing at 56:54 to block the quick free as he has sensed the danger.
• After blocking the first attempt he’s now bought his teammate, Scott McTominay until 56:59 to see that danger and go stop it.
• Eric Bailly is clearly seen on the reverse camera telling McTominay to get over.

So AWB reacted to danger in 2-3 seconds, McTominay still hasn’t reacted to any danger after almost TEN SECONDS!! And you’re putting it in AWB?

That’s utterly bizarre.

AWB can’t get to Grealish in 2-3 seconds, McTom can lightly jog to him in 8-9 seconds.
If McTom just struts over to Grealish the danger is over and they likely send another long free kick in to Mings.
If AWB had started running back at 56:53, he’s not going to affect Grealish in any way from running straight at our box, so the outcome is likely similar.

The only thing you can put on the defender there is that he didn’t instantly hear the whistle, turn around and sprint as fast as possible back to his position, but come on how often does that happen in football especially when a freekick is incorrectly given there is nearly always a couple of seconds of reaction time?
Very well put! I don't attach any blame to AWB on this, he did the right thing in attempting to block the quick freekick! This is exactly what we did not do to spurs when Kane took a quick freekick and Son scored, so I was pleased when I saw AWB do that last night.

Mctominay should have closed down Greilish quicker, instead he just struts and lets him put a cross in so easily.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very well put! I don't attach any blame to AWB on this, he did the right thing in attempting to block the quick freekick! This is exactly what we did not do to spurs when Kane took a quick freekick and Son scored, so I was pleased when I saw AWB do that last night.

Mctominay should have closed down Greilish quicker, instead he just struts and lets him put a cross in so easily.
There was never any danger of a quick free kick in the first place! The only reason it became available was because he didn’t go back into the correct position and just stood there day dreaming. He has 5 seconds to move back into his zone, but because he thinks El Ghazi is his direct opponent he thinks he’s safe. It’s a brainfart that cost us, simple.

the mental gymnastics and excuses are ridiculous. If you’ve ever played as a defender before then you know your first job is to get back into shape ASAP.

I haven’t seen one professional/pundit say he did the rig the thing either.

spiriticon

Yeah AWB has to hold his hands up there for not being aware of Grealish until it's too late.

Regardless, I thought he was pretty good yesterday.

tomaldinho1

Ok, you watch that clip. Pause it at 9 seconds. AWB has just blocked their first attempt. He is right beside the ball and has no chance of getting to Grealish before the ball. Now look at McT. What is he doing? Who is he marking? Why is he standing fecking still, watching AWB try to stop the quick free kick.

At least AWB looks lively from the moment they get the freekick. He is at least trying to do something. McT is criminally unaware of what’s going on around him, standing around like a lemon. I like him but that’s an absolutely shocking bit of play.
I don't understand why people aren't agreeing with this. AWB blocks the first one, what is he meant to do teleport 10m to mark Grealish? No human can make up that ground so he either tries to block and take the yellow (he fails) or do nothing. The criticism is he should have just stood right in front and risked the yellow but he physically cannot get to Grealish.

Also no surprises AWB did more offensively with Bailly at CB - people need to start realising how handicapped he is when we start Lindelof/Maguire.

lex talionis

A fantastic performance overall by AWB. The moonwalk was bizarre, but there was still a lot of work to do for Villa to score the goal.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
McTominay was dreadful yesterday but I still think Wan Bissaka's contribution on that goal is the main problem there. On the other hand, other than that he was largely superb, 10/10 in the first half. Hope to see more of that from him, his movement in attack was much better and he made some cracking challenges and blocks as well.

Obiorahking_

Looked really good! Had two fantastic balls in and some good link up play aswell. I don’t fault him for that nonsense FK. Shouldn’t have even been called.

Himannv

Good contribution in the attacking half.

I always feel he's a reactive defender than a proactive one though and doesn't always see the danger in situations. At times he gives a bit too much room for opposition attackers to put the ball in or he's not tracking back as urgently as he should. This doesn't really seem like something that's easy to teach to me, so it's a matter of learning from experience.

acnumber9

It’s easy to forget he’s still relatively inexperienced. This is only his third full season at first team level. He’s still got a lot of learning and improving to do.

Sylar

He jogs back a few times which is concerning and it's not even after a huge sprint forward

I think hes gotta take some blame for the villa goal (all well and good trying to block the quick free kick but you gotta actually block it) but so does MCT for not sensing the danger.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not necessarily lose the ball but we lose momentum a lot of the time when he receives the ball in promising situations.

I agree that Walker's situation is better but I think if you were to put AWB into the City side he'd be a lot worse than Walker as he's a few levels below him technically.
I do agree that we might lose momentum at times in promising situations but I have the same thing about Luke Shaw as well. I think Shaw has a couple of advantages in comparison from playing closer to great players while Bissaka has sort of been stuck a while on a side where we have struggled for years. I think he has been nothing short of incredible defensively and proper offensively when on form. Like displayed against Chelsea and Aston Villa, he can cross and move well. He might not be as talented as Luke Shaw who I think could be incredible if he just could 'get it' at times and he really doesn't. I think Bissaka has the world in front of him and there is no reason to slow down in his own right, he can be whatever he wants to be.

HackeyC

Correct me if I'm wrong but in blocking the quick free kick the ball was in play. The ref was mistaken in allowing them to take it again. AWB did little wrong, there were also three players who should have seen the danger.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's genuinely one of the worst headers of a football I've ever seen... Both in the challenge /jumping for them, and the execution of them.

PoTMS

Please get him out of our team. Enough is enough. He's blatantly not good enough. Another one of those that thinks he's made it. I can honestly say I can pass and control the better than he can. He's several levels below his teammates. How we spent £50m on this absolute abysmal footballer is beyond me, he's not even worth £10m in all honesty.

acnumber9

He's genuinely one of the worst headers of a football I've ever seen... Both in the challenge /jumping for them, and the execution of them.
Yeah, he’s like a child who’s afraid of getting hurt. But, unlike the first goal he at least tried to defend it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Please get him out of our team. Enough is enough. He's blatantly not good enough.
We've got nobody else good enough to replace him this season. Ole's gonna have to buy someone.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Several times unchallenged on heading the ball, he just headed them like he's closing his eyes. A good fit to be our CB, it seems.

el3mel

Struggled a lot against Foden. He has been really terrible this season.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
he’s been poorer this year no doubt about it. Hopefully he can start building on the positive start asap. It could be next season before we see him confident again and it might be too late for him by then if we sign someone else. It’s a crucial position in modern football.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Several times unchallenged on heading the ball, he just headed them like he's closing his eyes. A good fit to be our CB, it seems.
The was one relatively uncontested one in the second half he just headed 90 degrees into the air...

He gives the phrase "50p head" new life.

Status
Not open for further replies.