Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He was slightly behind Baily, but Maguire and Baily was about 25 yards apart and high up. It was that gap they used so yeah. CBs fecked up too
The centre backs were playing a high line to force the offside. FB's are never supposed to be behind the central defenders. This isn't a hard concept to grasp. Yes, Bailly should have picked up the run, and even though it wasn't Pogba's man, he was closest so he could have picked it up, but the whole thing would have been avoided if the RB on the opposite side of the field was in the fight position and in line with the last central defender...

Verminator

The centre backs were playing a high line to force the offside. FB's are never supposed to be behind the central defenders. This isn't a hard concept to grasp. Yes, Bailly should have picked up the run, and even though it wasn't Pogba's man, he was closest so he could have picked it up, but the whole thing would have been avoided if the RB on the opposite side of the field was in the fight position and in line with the last central defender...
He was level with Bailly until he stepped up. Maguire wandering over to hold Shaw's hand was the real problem. It left a gaping hole in the middle.

The way people go on about AWB in here, you wouldn't think he was an ever-present for the table-toppers.

When he is the worst of our problems, we'll be doing really well.

Craig Ward

Worst player on the pitch by some margin. And thats saying something how bad Martial was.

AWB lacks any form of common sense when it comes to defensively positioning. He's always in the wrong position - always.

He's lucky he's able to track back and recover, but you cannot rely on that all the time. He'll get caught out time and time again.

His passing and ability to carry the ball is abysmal as well. Horrendous performance again

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He was level with Bailly until he stepped up. Maguire wandering over to hold Shaw's hand was the real problem. It left a gaping hole in the middle.

The way people go on about AWB in here, you wouldn't think he was an ever-present for the table-toppers.

When he is the worst of our problems, we'll be doing really well.
Actually, I think AWB is fantastic. No agenda (unlike you obviously have with Maguire if you're blaming him). I just think AWB has to work on his positioning. A FB on the opposite side of the field should NEVER be the last man. Not sure why this is so hard to grasp by some people. you have obviously never played before if you're arguing against this...

Verminator

Actually, I think AWB is fantastic. No agenda (unlike you obviously have with Maguire if you're blaming him). I just think AWB has to work on his positioning. A FB on the opposite side of the field should NEVER be the last man. Not sure why this is so hard to grasp by some people. you have obviously never played before if you're arguing against this...
You are a conceited one aren't you.
If you can't see that goal, and question why Maguire goes out to the wing, with the ball in central midfield, maybe you should follow a simpler sport.

Wan Bissaka should have done better, but if the ball is played a fraction earlier, both him and Bailly are playing him onside.
If Maguire is positioned where he should be, there aren't acres of space to play in an unmarked forward.

Hopefully, you heading a ball hasn't done too much damage.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You are a conceited one aren't you.
If you can't see that goal, and question why Maguire goes out to the wing, with the ball in central midfield, maybe you should follow a simpler sport.

Wan Bissaka should have done better, but if the ball is played a fraction earlier, both him and Bailly are playing him onside.
If Maguire is positioned where he should be, there aren't acres of space to play in an unmarked forward.

Hopefully, you heading a ball hasn't done too much damage.
Maguire steps left because Shaw steps left. This is all basic stuff. As that happens Bailly should step left and pick up Lookman. Instead Bailly doesn't even look at him. I get it that Bailly is the new sweetheart and we want to blame Maguire for everything that goes wrong with United, but call it like it is and drop the agenda. Maguire stepping left was to mark a man. Who was Bailly marking and who was the closest man to him? Answer honestly...

Verminator

Maguire steps left because Shaw steps left. This is all basic stuff. As that happens Bailly should step left and pick up Lookman. Instead Bailly doesn't even look at him. I get it that Bailly is the new sweetheart and we want to blame Maguire for everything that goes wrong with United, but call it like it is and drop the agenda. Maguire stepping left was to mark a man. Who was Bailly marking and who was the closest man to him? Answer honestly...
Bailly doesn't cover himself in glory either, as you point out.
You need to cut this "agenda" shit out, as well. I don't have one. I call it as I see it.

If the ball was played to the flank, Maguire has to respond. What he doesn't have to do is go out there, in anticipation, and leave his area of responsibility wide open, inviting the ball to be played there from deep.
If he stays on Lookman, he can cut it out/challenge as he receives/challenge after he controls it. Instead he puts out the welcome mat, by covering where the ball doesn't go, and is already covered by Shaw.
Three defenders cock up there. AWB's mistake is a split second one.
Maguire and Bailly's mistakes are poor decisions.

Redlyn

Hope we can find a player to relegate him to the bench. I'd rather have a very good all round RB than have an excellent tackler who is average at everything else.

Polar

@GifLord can you gif AWB's moonwalk at 56:58-57:00 there? :lol: :lol:

Much better in attack tonight. Actually running on to the ball and continuing his run forward as soon as he receives it makes it so much easier to get a ball in the box than stopping and then having to pass two players in order to get a cross in.
Yes.. I’ve also noticed some positive signs in his offensive play. Looks more confident with the ball in tight spots, and he more often join the attack with more speed determination. He will become really good offensively if also manage to improve his crossings and develop his offensive one against one (challenging)skills.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ole said we dont do this

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
People are lacerating AWB over last nights performance? I thought he did fine. Goal is on the centre backs.

lex talionis

We're shooting at the wrong target in flogging AWB. No, he's not world class, but defensively we've been pretty solid of late -- we kept a clean sheet against Liverpool -- but where we're struggling is in attack. AWB is weaker in attack than I would like but I don't see that many RBs who are clearly superior. But having a RB on the squad to put pressure on AWB the way Telles has on Shaw would help everyone.

Robindinho

People are lacerating AWB over last nights performance? I thought he did fine. Goal is on the centre backs.
Disagree, if he wasn’t so dozy (which he is too often by the way) and just stepped up a yard with the centre backs, Lookman is offside.

It’s more so his attacking play - never known someone at such a high level to be so clumsy and awkward on the ball.

Going forward, it’s a must we sign an attacking right back or give Laird a chance from next season - especially for games like last night were we expect to see lots of the ball/opponents who sit back... If anything just to provide competition and put pressure on him, like Telles seems to have done with Shaw.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Bailly doesn't cover himself in glory either, as you point out.
You need to cut this "agenda" shit out, as well. I don't have one. I call it as I see it.

If the ball was played to the flank, Maguire has to respond. What he doesn't have to do is go out there, in anticipation, and leave his area of responsibility wide open, inviting the ball to be played there from deep.
If he stays on Lookman, he can cut it out/challenge as he receives/challenge after he controls it. Instead he puts out the welcome mat, by covering where the ball doesn't go, and is already covered by Shaw.
Three defenders cock up there. AWB's mistake is a split second one.
Maguire and Bailly's mistakes are poor decisions.
He doesn't leave an area open. He is marking a man. As his defensive partner it is up to Bailly to step over. Again, this is all basic stuff. Maguire is marking someone. Shaw is marking someone. Bailly is marking nobody. The ball is on that side of the pitch. They have to shift to that side. Again, this is all basic stuff. And I will quit calling it an agenda the moment people who say they "call it like it is" actually call it like it is. To put any blame on Maguire for this goal is way off the mark. This was on Bailly for not picking up Lookman and for AWB for keeping him onside...

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Also said he’s one of the best 1v1 defenders in the world which is true. Just need to improve his ball playing game, crosses and going forward.

zenith

He'll improve by a big margin, I'm very certain of that. Currently, the right hand side seems quite a mess anyway. There is a bunch of players who have played on the right wing and it's obvious that there is no sense of understanding or chemistry there.

If we had someone like Sancho playing there, things might have been a little bit more different. Of course this does not take away from the fact that AWB needs to get better on the ball, but a settled team always helps in that regard.

Brightonian

His crossing has already massively improved. He will never be a dribbler in a pure sense but Ole is right that his attacking game will continue to develop for a few years, and so will his defensive positioning. It's all worth the wait, for someone whose defensive skillset is genuinely world class, especially when defenders who can really tackle are increasingly rare.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Also said he’s one of the best 1v1 defenders in the world which is true. Just need to improve his ball playing game, crosses and going forward.
But what Ole confirms again is that he expects his fullbacks to be good going forward which is encouraging for fans who want to see United play a more expansive game.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is clearly one of the biggest talents at the club, I don't see why people are tripping thinking we paid too much. Trent Alexander Arnold has put in some beautiful crosses but the guy is rather poor defensively and inconsistent going forward.

kps88

I actually feel a bit sorry for him. He's pretty much the only established right back at the club and we're asking him to play every game and create chances for us going forward, something he has never had to do in his career. And the fact that we don't have a proper right sided attacker doesn't help either.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
But what Ole confirms again is that he expects his fullbacks to be good going forward which is encouraging for fans who want to see United play a more expansive game.
Yeah he’s already one of the best defensive right backs in the Prem. But of course he have some work to do and improve his offensive output. Om sure he Will be threatening on that right flank in 2-3 years. The question is - Will he get that time here? If Ole is manager then yes.

I like AWB and hope he’ll have a long career at United.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Decent enough but he always seems like he has bad lag when we attack. Apart from when he skinned Robertson close to the end, which was class.

Devil may care

He had some good moments, hopefully he's inspired by Shaw's progression as he has time on his side.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I genuinely can’t remember him playing in the game :lol: Not a criticism in any way. I remember him heading Pogba’s weird header away from our goal but that’s it.

Red00012

I genuinely can’t remember him playing in the game :lol: Not a criticism in any way. I remember him heading Pogba’s weird header away from our goal but that’s it.
About 12 comments in his thread after the game seems to back up your statement :lol:

I guess that is a good thing . A lot of the play was down Shaws side In the 1st half with Shaw and Rashford and then you had Trent and Salah up against them.

Zoo

After that he put in a weak-ass left footed cross. :lol:

Overall, AWB was ok. I just wish he'd offer more support for Greenwood, or anyone who's playing on the right.
I was shocked to see him even try and cross with his left! It’s progress I suppose.

Man Utd 1:2 Sheffield Utd

Based Adnan

They were happy to let him have the ball knowing he's not going to do anything with it. Loves playing his teammates into trouble with hospital balls.

Square peg in a round whole. Should be looking for a replacement in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.