Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

I always said I was confident he would improve on the ball and improve his attacking game in general.

He’s actually much better on the ball than people give him credit for, he very rarely loses the ball, has good composure and ability to turn a player rather than going back to the keeper or CB’s. Also has always had the turn of pace to beat a man and get a cross in.

His crosses still need work of course although they are better than they were, get him practicing those and linking with an actual RW and he will kick on and improve further imo.

Can’t underestimate the fact that he has had zero chance of building a relationship with an actual first choice RW since he’s been here. Shaw has Rashford and AWB needs the equivalent on the right.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I always said I was confident he would improve on the ball and improve his attacking game in general.

He’s actually much better on the ball than people give him credit for, he very rarely loses the ball, has good composure and ability to turn a player rather than going back to the keeper or CB’s. Also has always had the turn of pace to beat a man and get a cross in.

His crosses still need work of course although they are better than they were, get him practicing those and linking with an actual RW and he will kick on and improve further imo.

Can’t underestimate the fact that he has had zero chance of building a relationship with an actual first choice RW since he’s been here. Shaw has Rashford and AWB needs the equivalent on the right.
This. Get Sancho ahead of him and i'm sure AWB's attacking game will flourish

hubbuh

I've been very critical of him but he's looking more composed at the moment. He's still quite iffy on the ball when dribbling (there was a moment in the second half where we were approaching the Leeds' final third and AWB was in possession, he turned to the side, ran a bit, turned back again, ran a bit, before passing it back to Maguire/Lindelof in our own half) but he seems a bit more assertive in his play. We really need to see how he fares with an actual right-winger ahead of him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He absolutely skinned someone in the first half with a lovely bit of skill. He's definitely a bit underrated on the ball because he looks so clumsy.

Born2Lose

How many times do people need to get it wrong before they realise that writing off young players is sheer stupidity.

Would still like some competition for him though, if for no other reason than to give the guy a break every once in a while

3vra

Just fantastic, our two fullbacks are probably in top 5 most improved players in the league. What a difference It makes. Solid in the back and getting better and better going forward. When he first come here his dribbling and general play with the ball was very sloppy and awkward but right know his movement is sometimes Pogba like. I may still look awkward but right know we know It is intentional.
Shaw is somehow manage to extract his inner Beckham with his Crossing that nobody could imagined few months ago so maybe Aaron could also improve but still he managed to put great ball to Bruno yesterday who missed It few cms . In previous match he give 2 simillar balls on the ground right before penalty area to McT and Bruno and also great cross for Pogba’s header.

the next step is to have good creative player for the right wing who is more creator rather then scorer and AWB will be even better.

Part of Shaw big involvement in our play is having Rashford or Pogba in front of him, Aaron is not having that help. James is not good enough in understanding the game and Rashford or Greenwood are playing closer to the goal.

the only issue i have is his positioning when the long ball is coming from our left side and he is losing his player. The thing i cannot understand is why most of the time when that happens AWB is standing closer to the centre then Lindelof or Bailly. I do not get It at all, if that was his awareness i am sure our coaching staff would somehow teach him not to do that so maybe those are instructions from them but then i do not understand why...

Reactions: Ødegaard

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I really want Wan Bissaka to take our corners during a pre-season because I like what I have seen of Shaw after he has gotten to practice with a dead ball.

His crossing is good but he doesnt have much variety, it's his standard powerful cross that he has. So watching him put a lob or a cut back will be great.

Rossa

Very good yesterday. Better on the ball than most give him credit for? Those spiderman legs are a joy in defense, but it also means he looks gangly on the ball, but he is normally in full control. His passing wasn't all bad either, and he should have had an assist for Bruno.

BorisManUtd

MotM yesterday. Just can't wait for us to get another RB, Aaron has been playing non-stop.

El Jefe

I really want Wan Bissaka to take our corners during a pre-season because I like what I have seen of Shaw after he has gotten to practice with a dead ball.

His crossing is good but he doesnt have much variety, it's his standard powerful cross that he has. So watching him put a lob or a cut back will be great.
This is why people should be patient. Shaw up until this year was a terrble crosser and his final ball was mostly poor too. Now he's recorded the most assists he ever has in a season and also takes our set pieces.

AWB is clearly improving and its clear to see the coaches are working with him at it. Its not a case like Valencia's left foot or Fred's shooting where we have zero hope for optimism.

Ludens the Red

Probably his best non defensive performance for us. Seemed to never lose the ball and was taking people on regularly.

The Viper

Think he played really well. Was surprised by his offensive display today. If he continues the same way then there's no way Southgate (who was in the stands taking notes btw :P) can turn him down for that RB spot.

ash_86

He's been steadily improving across the season and he's quite young too so definitely space to improve. He'd be a assert for years to come when he gets his passing and crossing more accurate.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is why people should be patient. Shaw up until this year was a terrble crosser and his final ball was mostly poor too. Now he's recorded the most assists he ever has in a season and also takes our set pieces.

AWB is clearly improving and its clear to see the coaches are working with him at it. Its not a case like Valencia's left foot or Fred's shooting where we have zero hope for optimism.
I agree and it's been something I've been enjoying watching at United this season to see elements of his game developing.

It's no where near Shaw's level yet but in my eyes Shaw has had his first year as a player in/or close to his prime years now at 25 and it's where we can ask for some consistency in some top class performances from him.

Shaw used to be able to dribble in to the corner flag and do nothing with it after. He used to just be a runner so watching Ole improve his weaknesses has been great to build some confidence in his ability to cross from all areas of the pitch like he is Beckham.

Then you have Wan Bissaka. Alot of fans will be talking about how his defensive game is overrated & how all he has is his one vs one ability - yet the truth is that alot of the modern day fullbacks dont even have that. The modern day fullback is purely a winger playing a bit deeper and having a fullback that can have some defensive attributes to his game shouldn't be brushed under the bed.

That's why I was interested in what Ole can do with Wan Bissaka.

If all attacking fullbacks/wingbacks were succesfully taught how to defend as they progressed in to their prime - shouldn't we have seen more well rounded fullbacks over the last decade or years?

Alot of the attacking fullbacks in their prime maybe made less mistakes - but they didnt exactly successfully defend did they?

It's why Wan Bissaka has always interested me because he is a defensive fullback who is doing the opposite, he is learning how to attack. Alot of fans seemed to give up on him or thought he was crap or not special because he didnt have what all other clubs fullbacks had - the attacking ability; yet in Ole's eyes what's rare or a special ability is actually his defensive ability - something that so many top club fullbacks at other clubs dont really have, and what he can be taught is the attacking ability that nearly every wingback in the PL seems to have anyway.

Man Utd 6:2 Roma

Lassitude42

Got exposed a couple of times on the counter-attack when high up the pitch but had a fine second half. His confidence on the ball is growing and whilst he isn't at Shaw's level yet, I thought he did well overall today.

The United

I am liking how he and shaw start to get inside the opponent's box more nowadays. Our FB used to hang around at our halfway line.

Deery

Dreary
Positioning was really bad he kept getting caught out defensively..

Alemar

Useful going forward - Cavani scored on the rebound from his shot.

Devil may care

Was one of several involved in the clusterfeck defending that was their 2nd goal but other than that another good game, he's really improving on the ball.

Sylar

Positioning was really bad he kept getting caught out defensively..
This isn't a one off either. He falls asleep or just gets it wrong

One on one he's great but in terms of the defensive line he's caught out a lot

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Weirdly enough, defended poorly but was very useful further up the pitch tonight. Think Solskjaer must be encouraging him and Shaw to basically get forward whenever they get an opportunity.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's bad positioning isn't brought into focus nearly enough.

Another brilliant performance from AWB. Improved so much attacking wise this season - I’m proud of him. This is still only his third ever professional season!

jesperjaap

Glad to see him finally getting some recognition. I thought Shaw used to get ridiculously slated, but that was more understandable with all the injury problems and at times not looking fit.
Bissaka is still of course not the finished article, as a few comments on here mention he really does need to improve his positioning at times, but I always thought he wasnt so bad going forward anyway and he is really improving in that area this season too, he is still a young player that hasnt played for that long as a full back.....but he is a fantastic right back, its only the fact we have so many for Engfland at the moment that he isnt raved about all the time....but christ go back 3/4 years and we had Valencia and Young at full back, SHaw and Bissaka is a great combination, especially when you compare to those two at the end of there careers

lost7

I think I heard he's the second player with most minutes in Europe (after Maguire). He's been pretty inconsistent this season, but considering he's only 23 he's been solid.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Was one of several involved in the clusterfeck defending that was their 2nd goal but other than that another good game, he's really improving on the ball.
Was he the one who lost possession for their second goal? Didn’t see him tracking back too. It was the only one bad mistake he did. But overall he was very good

Holocene

Has anyone else noticed how poor his throw in technique is? I'm surprised he doesn't get caught for foul throws. His throw in today is what started the Roma counter attack that got the second goal.

RUCK4444

I may end up eating humble pie here but he’s improving on the ball at a rate I didn’t think possible.
We’ll see, I love me some tasty humble pie.
Nothing wrong with humble pie bud. We’ve all had our share.

I think what threw many with AWB was his quite erratic style of dribbling, it gave the impression that he was worse than he actually was.

He’s improved massively and apparently is the player with the second most minutes played in Europe (after Maguire.)
Consistency in fitness and availability is also a huge boost for us imo.

I think he’s great and with more of the same continued improvement he will be brilliant player for us.

The United

Weirdly enough, defended poorly but was very useful further up the pitch tonight. Think Solskjaer must be encouraging him and Shaw to basically get forward whenever they get an opportunity.
I think he will know more and balance out from experience.

Remember the times he used to stay near halfway line and pass backwards all the time?

Sylar

Was he the one who lost possession for their second goal? Didn’t see him tracking back too. It was the only one bad mistake he did. But overall he was very good
He tends to jog back which is annoying and then when it looks like a goal is happening he ups it into a sprint but it's too late.
Shame as offensively his contribution is improving a lot

He's a better overall player now than when we signed him

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Both fullbacks were at fault for the second goal, but I guess this is the risk we have to accept if we want to play fullbacks high up.

Good game overall, I think he could do better with crossing, he always goes for late crosses and they are often blocked. Maybe needs to mix it up a bit.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He didn't lose possession. He pressed high and won the tackle, unluckily loose ball fell to Roma player. McTominay should have covered the position or atleast fouled the player.

Also posters complaining about him jogging back, well he is playing every game running up and down the pitch. He just made a sprint to win possession in Roma's half. It's a team game, that's where your CMs should be covering the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.