Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

I think he'd only be useful in a back 3 if it's a man marking job against someone that is poor in the air.

UpWithRivers

I think he would make a better DM than a CB. I dont think he will be good at either position but if we dont buy a DM then its worth a go.

Bwuk

I think he would make a better DM than a CB. I dont think he will be good at either position but if we dont buy a DM then its worth a go.
I agree. He doesn’t have the positional sense to play at CB.

This won’t work, especially if we try it as part of a 2.

Brightonian

He's a RB. No other position suits him. If he's too defensive a RB for you, then fair enough, replace him. Personally I think a player as defensively gifted as he is is a rare commodity in the modern game and should be cherished even while his attacking game is still developing.

But for god's sake don't make him a CB. He's not good in the air and he'd have to completely relearn his positioning. He's good at the kind of defending RBs do.

Zlatattack

If we do get Sancho for our RW I expect AWBs attacking output to improve. He'll have better attacking options as we won't default to overloading the left each time. Too often when the ball is wide on the right, the only option is a cross.

Ekeke

I always said I'd like to try him right of a back 3. In many successful back 3s there have been CBs who were not strong in the air, or a midfielder or fullback playing and not just 3 out and out CBs together. Wolves for example use Coady who is dreadful in the air but plays good long balls, and Saiss who was a midfielder and can play out from the back too. Then Boly as a traditional CB.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Coady is not that bad in the air, IMO. His biggest fault is simply that he is so used to playing in the middle of a 3 that he tends to drop back too far behind the line and you just can't do that in a 2. Anyway. I agree AWB could play to the right of a 3 though his defending is sort of overrated in the sense that he is a fantastic tackler and hard to beat 1 on 1, but he is really not that strong in the air and loses position sometimes too. Not like Neville for example.

Just seeing that @Brightonian made this exact point above... so I am just agreeing with it I guess.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Coady is not that bad in the air, IMO. His biggest fault is simply that he is so used to playing in the middle of a 3 that he tends to drop back too far behind the line and you just can't do that in a 2. Anyway. I agree AWB could play to the right of a 3 though his defending is sort of overrated in the sense that he is a fantastic tackler and hard to beat 1 on 1, but he is really not that strong in the air and loses position sometimes too. Not like Neville for example.

Just seeing that @Brightonian made this exact point above... so I am just agreeing with it I guess.
Who? Gary Neville? That's exactly one of Gary's weaknesses when he played for United. He wasn't particularly strong in the air and would also be caught out of position.

It just comes with the position.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Why would anyone play AWB in a back 3 when we actually have players for it ? Weird !

Without signing anyone - Axel, Maguire, Lindelof is perfect for back 3. Shaw can also play instead of Axel to get a left footer in.Power, pace , positioning, passing and aerial ability. Perfect for a back 3.

Fitting AWB actually make it worse.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He's a RB. No other position suits him. If he's too defensive a RB for you, then fair enough, replace him. Personally I think a player as defensively gifted as he is is a rare commodity in the modern game and should be cherished even while his attacking game is still developing.

But for god's sake don't make him a CB. He's not good in the air and he'd have to completely relearn his positioning. He's good at the kind of defending RBs do.
Its Fifa logic - pace > 80 and tackling > 90. Should be a damn good CB

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Who? Gary Neville? That's exactly one of Gary's weaknesses when he played for United. He wasn't particularly strong in the air and would also be caught out of position.

It just comes with the position.
But with Neville it was primarily just because he wasn't that tall/strong. Technically he was pretty good in the air and he knew how to play centre half... did so for the youth teams and was very good at that level.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This means that Solskjær thinks we won’t sign a CB so he’s trying to find a solution. This isn’t it, AWB would be awful at CB, he’s not good in the air and he doesn’t have the awareness. Keep him at RB where he will be coming up against tricky wingers, this season he’s improved a lot in his attacking and will carry on improving, especially if we sign sancho.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A CB who spends a considerable amount of time on his arse. Think this is a bad idea. How many times has he lost his marker on the back post or given away an offside trap? Leave him at RB. His deficiencies least affect the team in that position.

sherrinford

If we do get Sancho for our RW I expect AWBs attacking output to improve. He'll have better attacking options as we won't default to overloading the left each time. Too often when the ball is wide on the right, the only option is a cross.
Sancho won't hold his width as much as Rashford or Greenwood. If we sign him to play on the right the onus will be on Wan-Bissaka to overlap aggressively to provide some thrust from that side and bring the best out of Sancho from that position - I don't think Wan-Bissaka is particularly suitable for that.

Jonno

His attacking is getting better year on year, his one on one defending is without doubt the best in the European leagues, and his positioning at set pieces can catch him out. All in all, not bad for a 23 year old RB.

Signing Trippier could help him, could drive him on. We need at least 2 good players in every position to compete for multiple trophies.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Rumours that he might change his international allegiance to Congo.

Ekeke

If at any point in the tournament England are undone by a left winger with the ball on the floor, its going to make the decision not to take AWB as an option look stupid. He's exactly what I'd want as an option in a squad of players. James can start in games where you want to continually be on the front foot and feel you can get 2 or 3 goals in. When you have to be worried about a star player on the left wing and a defence that isn't amazing like England's hasnt been then having a more defensive option would be invaluable.

Nick7

If at any point in the tournament England are undone by a left winger with the ball on the floor, its going to make the decision not to take AWB as an option look stupid. He's exactly what I'd want as an option in a squad of players. James can start in games where you want to continually be on the front foot and feel you can get 2 or 3 goals in. When you have to be worried about a star player on the left wing and a defence that isn't amazing like England's hasnt been then having a more defensive option would be invaluable.
Agreed. AWB may not be a perennial starter but he has a skill set that none of the other England right backs have.

I’m glad he’s getting a rest though :p

Skills

Snitch
There's one already in Walker though?

Acole9

Outstanding
This moving him to centre back sounds like that rumour Solskjaer was going to turn Rojo into a defensive midfielder.

Dante

Average bang
AWB is the perfect man for turning an 11 vs 11 game into a 10 vs 10 game. Put him up against Mbappe, and England might suddenly have a chance at beating France by nullifying their best player.

That's what Aaron Wan-Bissaka brings to a team. Maybe it's a bit negative, but it is effective.

The problem, obviously, is when you actually want the game to be 11 vs 11 like United usually do. In those cases, he doesn't quite add enough to the team imo.

Ekeke

AWB is the perfect man for turning an 11 vs 11 game into a 10 vs 10 game. Put him up against Mbappe, and England might suddenly have a chance at beating France by nullifying their best player.

That's what Aaron Wan-Bissaka brings to a team. Maybe it's a bit negative, but it is effective.

The problem, obviously, is when you actually want the game to be 11 vs 11 like United usually do. In those cases, he doesn't quite add enough to the team imo.
Someone who doesnt count as a player got the 3rd most assists from rightbacks in the premier league? Wow thats huge value

Its complete nonsense. AWB is a threat going forward, just not as good as failed wingers like Trent

Red00012

This can't be true. I don't see how after seeing him play for 2 season we think he could play CB
He’s rubbish in the air and his positioning is one of his worst attributes so I can safely say this will end well

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Someone who doesnt count as a player got the 3rd most assists from rightbacks in the premier league? Wow thats huge value

Its complete nonsense. AWB is a threat going forward, just not as good as failed wingers like Trent
I’m not sure how effective that is as a stat when you have chambers there with 2 in 8.

Red00012

Why would anyone play AWB in a back 3 when we actually have players for it ? Weird !

Without signing anyone - Axel, Maguire, Lindelof is perfect for back 3. Shaw can also play instead of Axel to get a left footer in.Power, pace , positioning, passing and aerial ability. Perfect for a back 3.

Fitting AWB actually make it worse.
Lindelof and perfect in the same sentence make me laugh

Ekeke

I’m not sure how effective that is as a stat when you have chambers there with 2 in 8.
Its almost as if a better player gets picked more than 8 times in a season, and 4 assists is really good when you're the best one on one defender at right back and it isnt even your main contribution

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Its almost as if a better player gets picked more than 8 times in a season, and 4 assists is really good when you're the best one on one defender at right back and it isnt even your main contribution
I’m just pointing out that when we throw these stats out, unless we break them down they don’t mean much. If you break it down by per90 Chambers and Odoi are monsters, but we know that’s not really the case. Same with Cresswell getting 6 assists, I think the vast majority are set pieces because he often takes them. It’s still an achievement and a useful skill, but doesn’t tell the full story.

The poster you quoted didn’t say he didn’t count as a player, he was pointing out that the best quality that AWB brings to the table is his ability to shut down his opponent (as you know he has shut down some of the best wingers in football). You’ve said there that his outstanding quality is his one on one defending, the manager isn’t going to select him based on his offensive contribution when there’s multiple players in his position who are better than him when it comes to what they do with the ball.

It wasn’t an insult against the player, it was just highlighting what he offers that the others don’t.

Ekeke

I’m just pointing out that when we throw these stats out, unless we break them down they don’t mean much. If you break it down by per90 Chambers and Odoi are monsters, but we know that’s not really the case. Same with Cresswell getting 6 assists, I think the vast majority are set pieces because he often takes them. It’s still an achievement and a useful skill, but doesn’t tell the full story.

The poster you quoted didn’t say he didn’t count as a player, he was pointing out that the best quality that AWB brings to the table is his ability to shut down his opponent (as you know he has shut down some of the best wingers in football). You’ve said there that his outstanding quality is his one on one defending, the manager isn’t going to select him based on his offensive contribution when there’s multiple players in his position who are better than him when it comes to what they do with the ball.

It wasn’t an insult against the player, it was just highlighting what he offers that the others don’t.
He said he changes the game to 10 vs 10. So yes he did say he doesnt count as an 11th player for his team which is stupid. He did quite well going for us last season.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He said he changes the game to 10 vs 10. So yes he did say he doesnt count as an 11th player for his team which is stupid. He did quite well going for us last season.
I get what you’re saying, but the poster did specify that he would be nullifying Mbappe, which would be a pretty decent boon!

I do think AWB has improved going forward. And tbh, I don’t think he was ever particularly bad on the ball. At Palace he was handy at beating the press, certainly in his own half. I think the move to United meant suddenly being around top players, where the team was expected to dominate possession, and it took a little time to adjust to. He’s still young and playing for a club like United isn’t easy for anyone to come into and hit the ground running (except a Cantona or Fernandes). He’s improving and doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.