Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aouer-United

One of the worst performances I've seen from AWB, we conceded many big chances from his positioning, I lost counts. If AWB don't sort his positioning and ability on the ball, he'll be finished and benched by Williams or any other fullback and we'll be forced to enter the market to buy the right fullback again

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He wasn't like this for Palace, and he's constantly missing the man behind him with us.

It's like he's not being worked upon on the training sessions. Oh wait.

twitter thread suggester
He is such a weak link in the team. He offers nothing, and we will never become a top side again unless we replace him.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Awful, awful positioning today. Even after Bailly came on he played as a centre-half leaving his man on free all game.

Say Goodbye

Really poor positioning today. Kept getting dragged into the middle, even when Bailly was on. Should have been screaming at Greenwood to help cover him because nobody else feckin’ would.
That was the kicker for me- I thought Ole had made a great sub so that he wouldn't now feel the need to come across and leave the man at the back, and yet he still did it, giving up a couple more chances and eventually the goal. Whilst it did look shocking, surely he just needs to be told to trust the centre backs and keep with his man? It seems like a very obvious thing that can be sorted out without too many issues.

Falcow

"Best defensive full back in the world"

Caught out positionally about 20 times in one game.

He has one strength only: defending 1v1 on the wing where he is fully prepared. He is far below average at everything else.
Agreed. Positionally he was awful. What was more infuriating was his slow jog back.

Maybe he just ain't fit, I dont know.

snowkarl

He wasn't like this for Palace, and he's constantly missing the man behind him with us.

It's like he's not being worked upon on the training sessions. Oh wait.
He played one full season with Palace. He was also very protected by Palace's very deep defensive line and experienced defenders and solid goalkeeper behind him. Palace also provide a lot of defensive cover from their two holding midfielders. Anyone would look good for them - even Ward looks a world beater right now and he's not exactly Roberto Carlos either.

Ainu

I don't know if his positioning is just so bad or if it's a tactical issue. Regardless, he's nowhere near the required level at the moment. He can do better than this, we already know that, but an adequate alternative for that position is no longer a luxury but a necessity.

Based Adnan

Terrible game. Has been poor for a while now if we're taking last season into account as well.

RedIan

Very poor today, left Trossard their left winger with far to much space, it was so obvious all the threat was from him and awb let him have space time and again. 3/10 at best must do much better

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He played one full season with Palace. He was also very protected by Palace's very deep defensive line and experienced defenders and solid goalkeeper behind him. Palace also provide a lot of defensive cover from their two holding midfielders. Anyone would look good for them - even Ward looks a world beater right now and he's not exactly Roberto Carlos either.
This is clutching at straws to be honest. The fact remains he didn't do it at Palace, and he started doing it more frequently here. Any coach worth their salt would pick up on this long before even the arm-chair fans have.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Okay looking back at replay, it was Bruno who left his marker. I take criticism for AWB back.

DON’T PANIC ™

He kept getting dragged into the middle of the box. Either he needs to stay with man on the right and let a midfielder fill the hole in the box or else Greenwood needs to pick up the wide man. Bruno was ball watching for their last goal but AWB had moved inside.

snowkarl

This is clutching at straws to be honest. The fact remains he didn't do it at Palace, and he started doing it more frequently here. Any coach worth their salt would pick up on this long before even the arm-chair fans have.
No it's because he had much less to do for Palace. If you always have a covering midfielder helping you and playing a deep block, it's a lot easier to defend. You have no room behind you to cover since the midfielder is marking the winger and the touchline is too close for a through ball.

Why otherwise doesn't Shaw have the same issue? Even Fosu Mensah didn't and he's nowhere near a United quality player.

It's 100% on AWB.

Lee565

I didn't want him signed because a club like united shouldn't be signing defensive fullbacks but I have to defend bissaka today, this is on ole being lousy at coaching the team because even when we went 5 at the back he was still all over the place and he was not like that playing for crystal palace and that comes down to how well organised hodgson was coaching crystal palace compared to the mess that ole has us looking like as a team.

kiristao

For someone who doesn't do much going forward, he gets caught ahead of the ball way too often.

Obiorahking_

I agree with others that this is definitely on Ole. There is something inherently wrong with our defensive organization. Mourinho could never.

MoskvaRed

It’s impossible to coach this guy into producing any decent attacking output. It’s painful to watch him with ball at his feet, like the uncoordinated fumblings of the older, chubby guy they always invite to Strictly.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Can't believe after all those chances he still tucked in the middle all the time.

Almost, as it was tactical instruction which makes even less sense.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I don't know if his positioning is just so bad or if it's a tactical issue. Regardless, he's nowhere near the required level at the moment. He can do better than this, we already know that, but an adequate alternative for that position is no longer a luxury but a necessity.
The goal we conceded, in which his positioning was at least suspect, will paint a very bad picture for him today. The truth is that, from a tactical point of view, he was hanged out to dry throughout the 90 minutes. Our decision was to use Shaw as an attacking/creative outlet on the other side and with Brighton playing with two men upfront, it was AWB who always had to tuck in and become the third CB in order to maintain the necessary 3v2 at the back. Furthermore, Shaw at least had Matic running like crazy to cover him, AWB got zero help from either Pogba or Greenwood in the whole game.

Revan

Assumptionman
Best defensive full back in the world, and what a steal for 55m he is.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Horrible performance but it's his first game back? Hopefully he gets back to his level from last year.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Brighton were targeting his side knowing if they press him, he would shit and it worked like a charm.

Didn't all of the 5 shots that hit the Bar and 1 goal came from his side ?

Coops73

Absolutely shite today, how much space he gave March especially in the 2nd half, worst player on the pitch.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
For people who want him to move as centerback, you know nothing about centerback. Harsh but true.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Apparently good defensively.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No it's because he had much less to do for Palace. If you always have a covering midfielder helping you and playing a deep block, it's a lot easier to defend. You have no room behind you to cover since the midfielder is marking the winger and the touchline is too close for a through ball.

Why otherwise doesn't Shaw have the same issue? Even Fosu Mensah didn't and he's nowhere near a United quality player.

It's 100% on AWB.
What are you on about? I never said this isn't on AWB. I'm saying its a chronic mistake he's made in a United shirt that clearly hasn't been worked upon in training.

Nick7

Our whole defensive structure was awful. AWB was marking Maupay, and leaving Marsh unmarked, but Greenwood wasn't tracking back. AWB essentially had to cover two players because it seems he was told to stick to Maupay like glue. Brighton exploited that by Maupay coming inside and AWB following him leaving Marsh completely alone on the right hand side. Baffling defensive structure and management.

A-man

Not even with an extra CB did he manage his side. Very poor today. Hope they analyse this, learn, and move on.

Ainu

The goal we conceded, in which his positioning was at least suspect, will paint a very bad picture for him today. The truth is that, from a tactical point of view, he was hanged out to dry throughout the 90 minutes. Our decision was to use Shaw as an attacking/creative outlet on the other side and with Brighton playing with two men upfront, it was AWB who always had to tuck in and become the third CB in order to maintain the necessary 3v2 at the back. Furthermore, Shaw at least had Matic running like crazy to cover him, AWB got zero help from either Pogba or Greenwood in the whole game.
Something definitely seems wrong with our shape without the ball. That front three in combination with another very attacking player like Fernandes is causing us problems in defence. That is on the manager. However, AWB's individual performance was not good enough either, and that's on him. It's a shit show all round.

AshRK

Looks off. Needs to be rested or maybe he needs to play more to get his match fitness back. His positional play was awful. I was shouting from my tv screen , bloddy man mark march for the rest of the game and he failed doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.