Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

He’s been on the slide for months now. Just looks lazy and generally has no instincts when it comes to defending yet some people want to keep peddling the idea of him being a CB.

I really hope by the end of the season he improves and gets better positionally or even just puts in some effort but given Maguire is just as bad positionally and Lindelof isn’t much better I have absolutely no faith in anyone their being able to help nurture him.

Hopefully he sorts himself out.

Adamsk7

Personally I’d drop him for a bit and play TFM or Dalot. Tim is a great athlete and I thought was one of the better players against Palace and Dalot is better going forward and currently can’t be any worse in defence!

I’m confident AWB will come good eventually but he needs a bit of protection at the moment- teams are targeting him

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He’s been on the slide for months now. Just looks lazy and generally has no instincts when it comes to defending yet some people want to keep peddling the idea of him being a CB.

I really hope by the end of the season he improves and gets better positionally or even just puts in some effort but given Maguire is just as bad positionally and Lindelof isn’t much better I have absolutely no faith in anyone their being able to help nurture him.

Hopefully he sorts himself out.
Some caftards are crazy IMHO. AWB as a CB would be disastrous

PoTMS

It's pretty ridiculous we spent £50m on a player that can't pass or control the ball.

MattyB1986

It's pretty ridiculous we spent £50m on a player that can't pass or control the ball.
We have a habit of spending big money on players who can't do them basic things; Lukaku to name one. :lol:

Our whole squad looks off the pace. The whole way we went about the close season is a bit worrying.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think the first March chance came around the 60th minute. Then there must have literally been a dozen more times that March had about 20 yards of space, completely alone.

AWB kept moving to the penalty spot. It was genuinely bizarre.

I obviously blame him - especially after Bailly came on.

But more the coaching staff. It's a quiet stadium right now. That was 35 minutes of negligence, and it appears not a single coach thought maybe they should have a word. Disgraceful.
It's fecking weird. We see it easily, happening again and again and no adjustement is made whatsoever. He wasn't even subbed

SinNombre

We have a habit of spending big money on players who can't do them basic things; Lukaku to name one. :lol:

Our whole squad looks off the pace. The whole way we went about the close season is a bit worrying.
Inter and Conte still thought Lukaku was worth the same money that we spent on him so our signings are not the problem.

We buy players with the intent to fit square pegs in round holes.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Personally I’d drop him for a bit and play TFM or Dalot. Tim is a great athlete and I thought was one of the better players against Palace and Dalot is better going forward and currently can’t be any worse in defence!

I’m confident AWB will come good eventually but he needs a bit of protection at the moment- teams are targeting him
You think Dalot can't be any worse in defence?
The man is barely Division 2 level at this current point in time. Every time he's played he's been a liability.

Adamsk7

You think Dalot can't be any worse in defence?
The man is barely Division 2 level at this current point in time. Every time he's played he's been a liability.
And AWB isn’t? Currently we can’t go on what Wan Bissaka was playing like in his first few months, we have to go on what he’s playing like now and right now, he’s a bloody one man disaster.

just think when something isn’t working, you’ve got to try something else

His fitness levels arent good right now. You can see it as early as the 11th minute ...he's clearly struggling and jogging as Connolly and Maupay take on our CBs.
Couldn't possibly disagree with that more. He's been jogging, walking, lacking intensity since he got here. To steal Vidic's line, he either doesn't sense danger or doesn't care.

Here, he can clearly see Mahrez - he has the whole picture in front of him of an obviously dangerous attack - yet he shows absolutely zero intensity or interest in actually making up any ground.

Here he's in almost exactly the same starting position as Shaw on the other side. Shaw busts a gut to track Sarr and cut off the angle, while Wan-Bissaka does nothing with Deulofeu. He walks into picture 10 seconds later, and continues a brisk walk back to our box as their attack continues.

This is a prime example of him not sensing danger. Loses the ball with a casual flick, which Greenwood fights for. At this point, Wan-Bissaka should be getting back...it's obvious by the time the ball finds its way to Bruno that it's still a dangerous situation but still nothing. He doesn't see it developing or he doesn't care. He's eventually seen - again - casually ambling back as Everton are dangerously countering.

Here he just lets Sterling run right off him, and jogs behind when he eventually realises.

There are so many more examples, more glaring examples even. These just happened to be situations that were on highlight videos that I found and clipped.

Putting it down to fatigue or lack of fitness, when it's been a Day 1 problem, is giving him a far too generous out.

Last edited:
Reactions: roonster09

SSSSnake

Probably his worst game in a United shirt but some fans are going overboard here.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
His fitness levels arent good right now. You can see it as early as the 11th minute when we lose the ball in attack and he's running back from the right wing, he's clearly struggling and jogging as Connolly and Maupay take on our CBs.

The thing is we are continuing with our RWB style that we've had since Mata came in and Valencia was going outside him becoming the right winger. So he covers a large area and when the move breaks down and he's in an advanced area thats where other players need to cover him. The DMs pulling out to the right and Lindelof coming across to become the RB and our DMs filling in the middle - whichever one is going to happen quickest in the move, it needs to happen. There are very few RBs who are going to sprint at full speed back from the right wing to right back, most will jog.

Trossard was the danger man but he was coming inside where the DMs need to be covering or a CB needs to be aggressive and confront with a block. AWB was sticking to his RB position where Brighton players are making runs and occupying him. He cannot do both and we dont play with a wide midfielder who will help him

On 20 mins Trossard receives the ball in the inside left position, AWB has a Brighton runner that he's sticking with occupying him and Trossard is able to shoot from the edge of the box and hits the post. The shot goes through the middle between Lindelof and Maguire neither one being active and trying to block.

37 mins AWB loses the ball in a challenge with March and Bruno is reckless in the box giving away a penalty. AWB could have done better and not given the ball away there.

On 46 mins we have the Pogba penalty area incident. AWB confronts a man with a press ahead of the half way line and he plays a long hopeful ball over Lindelof and for some reason Pogba is the one tracking his run. The right call not to give a penalty but it was close and we could have been punished. When you are playing someone like Pogba or Bruno in a DM position they're going to eventually end up in positions like this and we obviously dont want them making challenges in the box...

On 59 minutes AWB is sitting off March more than he usually would, covering into the middle. Originally this seems to be because of the movement of Maupay who has run off from Lindelof, but Maupay in the end receives the ball just outside the box and now March is in room to his left. The pressure and challenge on the ball certainly affects March's effort, but he still had enough time and space to score. He hit the inside of the post. This is good movement from Brighton working the defenders and making them think about who is responsible for who.

67 minutes AWB tracks back with March on a determined run. Eventually Maupay holds off challenges from a bunch of our defenders and still gets his shot away with AWB confronting him, but if he wasnt there to add a little bit of pressure Maupay could have picked his spot for a much better effort.

On 75 minutes he presses Maupay as he receives the ball and pushes him back towards his own goal. None of his teammates follow up the press but now he is out of position so its once again the DMs and Lindelof's responsibility to sort it out and cover the RB area and if theres overlaps, Greenwood needs to be getting back there to help too. The DMs are too far up the pitch, Matic doesnt have any impact whatsoever. Fred has a bit more mobility and is able to be somewhere around Lamptey who is running through the middle off the ball. Lindelof has no spacial awareness whatsoever and wanders central instead of covering the danger area. He doesnt seem to trust that Fred is going to go with Lamptey and is either so focused on Lamptey's run in front of him that he doesnt care about or doesnt realize that Trossard is making a run in the RCB area, he gets picked out and Lindelof cant get across fast enough and Trossard hits the bar when he should be scoring.

On 79 minutes we have a repeat of the goal a while ago where Maguire is too far over and Lindelof is covering his LCB position. The attacker is goal side so AWB has come narrow to help

https://i.gyazo.com/facdbdc8c63916970c8b384938063f24.png

We've seen this one before...

March has a lot of room to control the ball as it comes to him and AWB does race to dive in with a challenge, but March gets his shot away. Just not as much time to do it as if AWB wasnt there. He puts it over the bar

84 minutes and the cross comes in back post to March. AWB has gone central again, this time Maupay is screaming for the ball in the middle and Bailly has backed off uninterested in him and watching the ball instead. Maupay is free so AWB is coming to be in his area. The ball goes over him to March at the back post. AWB is in the area to pressure him and March misses, but it was a chance to get a shot on target. He's covering Bailly's slack defending here

94 mins and Maupay is again calling with his arm up at the back post next to AWB. Bailly is marking the number #4 Brighton player CB Webster who has come to supplement the attack. Maupay is completely free to AWB is facing him and dealing with his run towards the cross.

#18 Bruno Fernandes has come back into our box on the far right as our extra man as hes now playing DM since Van De Beek came on. He's the man with #20 Solly March and he doesnt run back with him leaving March to head it home.

The best part about the complaints in this thread is that if we had the attacking wingbacks people want instead of players like AWB we'd have been lucky not to concede 10 today insead of 5. Theres people saying we should get Lamptey, who played right midfield today and where was he when Rashford was terrorising Ben White going past him twice and scoring 54 minutes in?

Even after Rashford has taken half a minute to put the ball into the net Lamptey still isnt back to help out. He never makes it into the picture! If that happened with Lindelof getting beat twice and AWB being out of position and never helping him we'd obviously point it out as terrible defending. But because it happened against us instead, we have fans completely ignoring it and suggesting these players as transfers :houllier:

Its a bit embarrassing honestly that posters dont understand that yes these players are better on the ball and in attacking areas but dont help at all in defense, the CBs need to do it all without them and our CBs struggle even with the help of fullbacks who can and try to defend.
Agree with a lot of this. The center halves are slow and the double pivots always get sucked into channels. The center halves, knowing they are slow, retreat, or stay centrally, rather than stepping up and this puts AWB into a difficult position where he must now mark acres of space. Having slow center halves and double pivots is absurd, especially in such a counter-attacking league.

With that said, he has to have the tactical onus to do understand he is on an island and can't his right-wing unchecked even if he is trying to provide cover for his slow CBs.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Couldn't possibly disagree with that more. He's been jogging, walking, lacking intensity since he got here. To steal Vidic's line, he either doesn't sense danger or doesn't care.

Here, he can clearly see Mahrez - he has the whole picture in front of him of an obviously dangerous attack - yet he shows absolutely zero intensity or interest in actually making up any ground.

Disagree with your assessment. His issue is where is positionally, and we don't have any context of why he was that far up the pitch (again he could have been tired from getting forward). But look at the positioning of Matic and Shaw. If Shaw would have stayed back and Matic had stayed centrally that chance would have never been created

Here he's in almost exactly the same starting position as Shaw on the other side. Shaw busts a gut to track Sarr and cut off the angle, while Wan-Bissaka does nothing with Deulofeu. He walks into the picture 10 seconds later and continues a brisk walk back to our box as their attack continues.

Not sure how you can say he was in the same starting position when we can even see him. The videos do not show the build up, which important if he made just made a long attacking run, and United loses possession right after. But even still his positioning isn't good.

This is a prime example of him not sensing danger. Loses the ball with a casual flick, which Greenwood fights for. At this point, Wan-Bissaka should be getting back...it's obvious by the time the ball finds its way to Bruno that it's still a dangerous situation but still nothing. He doesn't see it developing or he doesn't care. He's eventually seen - again - casually ambling back as Everton are dangerously countering.

Agree with this one. He has to get back into position and attempt to make a tackle. Poor defending.

Here he just lets Sterling run right off him, and jogs behind when he eventually realises.

There are so many more examples, more glaring examples even. These just happened to be situations that were on highlight videos that I found and clipped.

Putting it down to fatigue or lack of fitness, when it's been a Day 1 problem, is giving him a far too generous out.
Agree he is lazy in tracking the runner, but the issue that created the goal was Cancelo taking 3 United defenders out of play with a simple dribble and one-two.

Many of these chances are originally created b/c the defensive spine (CBs and pivots) cannot mark any player with speed and agility. In most of those clips, the chances simply aren't created with better players defending in central areas.

You do have a point though.

SAFMUTD

Here he's in almost exactly the same starting position as Shaw on the other side. Shaw busts a gut to track Sarr and cut off the angle, while Wan-Bissaka does nothing with Deulofeu. He walks into picture 10 seconds later, and continues a brisk walk back to our box as their attack continues.

Damn thats hard to argue against. He really does look like he doesn't give a feck.

Mickson

He may be slack in defense right now. And he may have positional flaws. STILL, that's not my biggest problem with him. My biggest problem is that we bought a player for £50m who barely can control a ball or let alone crossing the half line. Lamptey cost Brighton £3m and he's better. In fact, in every game I've watched so far I've seen fullbacks who are better than AWB.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I like the idea of having two defensive fullbacks ( shaw & wan Bissaka) competing with attacking fullbacks (no one as of yet).

Having them by themselves is not good enough.

sillwuka

He is more exposed as an ordinary player when his defensive heroics aren't on display as seen lately.

I would be looking at playing Williams or TFM next game actually.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is more exposed as an ordinary player when his defensive heroics aren't on display as seen lately.

Please no.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

TFM at right back? Based on what exactly?

SinNombre

Let's not lump Shaw together with AWB.

Shaw while fit is actually good.

sillwuka

TFM at right back? Based on what exactly?
Just based on how exposed AWB has been today. How many chances and how much space did Trossard and March have on that left side today?! Insane.

I don't rate Fosu Mensah that highly but he's capable of marking a man and reliable in his passing. He's going to give us a slightly more attacking threat to AWB which is not alot anyway.

Falcow

Great post. This is a huge problem and stood out like a sore thumb when we beat city last season. I think he may even have received MOM award in same game but I remember about 3 or 4 times he was completely AWOL. He seems incapable of sprinting or bursting a gut.

Maybe the fact that he has no competition has something to do with it? We need to bring Laird through to put pressure on him.

Wheato

Today was really worrying. Every time Brighton crossed the ball from the right hand side, there was a man in space waiting to have a free shot a goal. After the first time they rattled the woodwork, you'd be on your guard, making sure that it doesn't happen again. I happened 3 more times. The header that they scored came from it. AWB was nowhere near them. He kept running into the centre of the penalty area and leaving the back post unmarked. And I didn't once see the centre backs yelling at him to mark a man and stay in position. Almost like they had asked him to double up with Lindelof, to help with his lack of pace, but in doing so, left a man free in the box all game. I cannot understand why someone wasn't down on the touchline roaring at him to defend his area. It went on too long and too many times. Then they scored at the 5th time of asking. I was astounded at the schoolboy level of defending. Shaw was much better than him today, and he might be the one being replaced soon!

Pav1878

He's another failed transfer let's face it.
50 mil shd buy you more. Same with Maguire.

If the board had come to the fans, most would have told you all this before we forked out the money FFS

Idxomer

Those videos are absolutely damning and paint a bad picture of him, it will be interesting to know if he was the same at Palace.

Ekeke

The problem is you are showing clips that dont show where he was when we lose the ball. For example in the first clip he's been up the pitch somewhere, we dont know where. But since he covers the entire right side as we rarely play with an actual right winger, he's probably been on the right side of attack and is making his way back from there. Its completely unreasonable to expect someone to be on the right wing in attack, then when the ball breaks down, rapidly get back to right back.

If thats what you want we need to hire a marathon runner not a footballer. And if theres a player that can do that for us then we could just play him right wing and never need a rightback.

In fact our most powerful runner for years was Valencia and half of Smalling's job was to come to the right side to cover him when moves broke down in attack and he didnt get back :lol: :lol: :lol:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Just put it this way - how many teams would he actually start for in epl ?

Almost Every team has a decent right back now.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Let's not lump Shaw together with AWB.

Shaw while fit is actually good.
Both when fit and on form are great players. Surely you can't disagree. :lol:

Having said that, worst defensive game I've ever seen from AWB. If he hasn't got the sense to suss out their most dangerous player was being left alone on his side then someone else should have told him. De Gea, Maguire, Lindelof, Ole... come on

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Both when fit and on form are great players. Surely you can't disagree. :lol:

Having said that, worst defensive game I've ever seen from AWB. If he hasn't got the sense to suss out their most dangerous player was being left alone on his side then someone else should have told him. De Gea, Maguire, Lindelof, Ole... come on
Shaw actually has a nice first touch and close control. His fitness is my only issue with him.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Why is he always so far inside? Every single game the opponent left winger/full back is left unmarked in acres of space on every attack. The fact it happens so often seems to suggest it is deliberate...is the right sided midfielder (Pogba?) supposed to pick up the runner?

Mcking

Many, including me didn't want him when we were being linked to him, but could remember some even pulling out dribbling percentage, and cross accuracy to 'shut us up'.

I don't need more than one season to spot a player who likely won't cut it with a top club. The faster he is replaced, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.