Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavinb33

He isnt the best, but Mata was playing ahead of him and was constantly coming inside and when he had the ball chilwell and Zouma would slide across and he would have to turn back inside.

it was noticeable when Greenwood came on he cultivated some chances down that side and made more space i feel if he played the whole game AWB would likely have looked better

Reactions: golden_blunder

criticalanalysis

You lot need to realise he has no attacking help at all.. No winger that can out pace the defender. He was good again but our RW situation needs to get fixed ASAP. Another solid game form our right back but a shocking attacking threat from our wide players. Ole needs to get some stick for not finding a RW this summer.
Agree he didn't get much help but that doesn't excuse his inconsistent on-the-ball ability. It's just so lackasidal and without thought or composure. He lost the ball so many times because he took awkward touches, positioned himself wrongly or played himself into bad situations.

Honestly, Shaw's offensive isn't that much different because he's also very conservative with his play but you can count on him at least playing the safe ball 8 times out of 10. With AWB, it's 6/10, which is an alarming rate of possession losses in low pressure situations.

I'm angry that Ole or his team mates don't call him out on it. He's another 'one of those players you play with in 5-aside' types to add to that thread, 'great defensive effort, works hards but hopeless in the build play; you 'can't' criticise him because of the former but you know it holds your team back'.

Sylar

Would love to see the stats but at one point in the second half it seemed like a competition between him and fred to see who could give the ball away the most

Nicolarra90

His interceptions, blocks and tackles are as good as I've ever seen. He's fantastic again as pre covid stop. He's a defender, it's not his fault our lack of competent right wingers.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Would love to see the stats but at one point in the second half it seemed like a competition between him and fred to see who could give the ball away the most
I love them both for what they bring to the team and they brought it today defensively, but they were worse than usual at the other end I have to admit. It's so frustrating when there is like 6-7 players who all somehow manage to lose the ball quickly.

Mr Smith

You lot are all incredibly harsh on a player who ensures we consistently concede no chances on that side of the pitch. His attacking game is improving and will continue to do so. In the meantime, his reliability in defence is unbelievable.

MAME DIOUF 32

If the future is a back 3 then we might have a problem here but if he's playing in a back 4 then he's nowhere near the top of the list of issues.

RuudtheRed

I think it's clear that AWB is much better at defending than he is going forward. But he has to get credit for keeping Chilwell quiet on that right hand side and he made a couple of crucial interceptions when Chelsea tried to slide through balls in between him and Lindelof.

Attacking wise, he's still young for a fullback so time is on his side. He may not be the most natural or fluid on the ball stylistically but he can put in a threatening ball every now and then - there was one in the first half that Mendy did well to hold on to. Didn't he bag something like 4 assists last season? That's more to come from AWB for sure

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Re-watched the game, he was really good in first half. Some important interventions, good header clearances, and some decent passing. He's much more comfortable on the ball than when he first joined us, he looks clumsy with those spider legs but that's just an impression.

He isn't great offensively bu at least he does what Shaw doesn't, meaning keeps his head up and thinks what to do instead of running until he's out of options. He'll be OK with a decent RW (Greenwood) ahead of him.

In second half after Bruno was shifted to the right we lost our shape and I thought he didn't know what he is expected to do.

Noticeable how Chelsea let him have the ball time and again because they knew he would do nowt productive with it. Rubbish player for any side with designs on playing consistently good attacking football. No amount of flashy slide tackles will change that.
Antonio Valencia. The most frustrating player I've seen regularly played for united. Opposition left him acres of space because he never did anything with the ball (when he played at right back).
I've come around to this view. He's actually not too bad at crossing but his instinct is for defending, not attacking. That said he is exceptionally clumsy/awkward on the ball and it makes him look worse than he sometimes is.
True.

Andersons Dietician

Frustrating. I said after the PSG it’s like he raises his game for a challenge but maybe he didn’t view Weiner and whomever that great of a challenge. He was decent but he slipped back in to that jogging when beaten thing instead of getting in to position.

He needs to get over this and cut it out of his game. At one point it almost cost us as Lindelof had to go cover, then Maguire got sucked in and Shaw had two behind him and someone moving in to the space Maguire just vacated.

Hes the RB, he should be sprinting back in to a position to cover someone in that defence honestly drives me crazy watching him and I just wish he’d cut it out. No denying he times a tackle better than anyone I’ve seen but still wish he wouldn’t go to ground as much as he does.

On the attacking front it seems weird that we play in a manner that creates so much space for him and do all our tight stuff on the left where we now have Telles where if you have Telles the time and space that Bissaka is afforded on the right he;d do some serious damage. It baffles me.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Doesn't want the baby anyway though. Source - random social media slag.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think he is getting better attacking.

He isnt exactly making assists yet but he seems to have a confidence building of making the right runs and some quick passes.

Superunknown

Until the subs came on and stole the show, I thought AWB had an immense game. One of his best. Nothing got through him in either half. Must have been so demoralising for their attack. I thought he played really well. Unfortunately, it won't get remembered because who remembers a defender in a game where you win 5-0 and an English hero gets a hat-trick?! :lol:

el3mel

He has been magnificent ever since PSG match. 3 great defensive performances on the row now.

Ekeke

Great RB. He is the human suggestion that Football Manager should add a 21's skill point for tackling and only he should have it.

ForeverRed1

So difficult to get past. excellent timing on those awkward challenges.

If he can work on improving his game going forward then Trent has a job keeping his england spot. Very good defender.

Devil may care

That Inspector Gadget right leg is the equivalent of a strikers lethal shooting foot when it comes to tackling. I also think he's improving on the ball, especially playing quick give and goes in tight spaces.

predator

Youth NITK
Looks a complete nightmare to play against and would automatically make me give up trying after seeing him tackle me.

It must be demoralising as opposing manager or player knowing you have tried your physical best and have been denied time after time.

AWB is one of those who probably won't get the recognition he deserves by United fans in years to come because he isn't the most attacking minded right back but he will no doubt be regarded by his teammates and opponents as the most difficult to get the upper hand against.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
10/10

Sensational performance .

I really couldn't give a flying duck about this nonsense modern hipster full back rubbish.

WanB is one off the very best Right back defenders in the world. His mastery in tackling, recovery runs and defensive positioning is a joy to behold, and all at such a young age. Couldn't cares less if he doesn't cross half way line ever again (the the job of midfielders and Inverted forwards!), he is a defender and that's why he should be judged on. And he is a boss at that.

10/10

Sensational performance .

I really couldn't give a flying duck about this nonsense modern hipster full back rubbish.

WanB is one off the very best Right back defenders in the world. His mastery in tackling, recovery runs and defensive positioning is a joy to behold, and all at such a young age. Couldn't cares less if he doesn't cross half way line ever again (the the job of midfielders and Inverted forwards!), he is a defender and that's why he should be judged on. And he is a boss at that.
love your enthusiasm. Think it’s a bit too much mind - however. What’s great is that he can improve. And he can get better. He does need to be better going forward, he doesn’t need to Be Cafu, but he does need to work on end product, as he gets in some good positions.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I have said it since the start he's the Mbappe of fullbacks. Unbelievable defender when he's on form.

Tiber

Think he is an absolute cracking player who will be a United regular for the next decade. Dunno why he gets so much shit

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wouldn't trade him for anyone, personally. Once his attacking game gets going, and it has been steadily improving, he'll be a force of nature.

Ceteris

We bought exactly what was on the tin, a defender: he wasn't tearing it up with assists and goals at Palace. But one thing I've noticed of late is a habit to just jog back to his defensive position. If you are not going to offer much going forward don't abandon your position.

But I love him as a defender

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Never seen a player so confident and talented at slide tackling in the box.

Sphincter clenches every time he does it though.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Based on just one game, against Chelsea I would probably say that Reece James looks the bigger talent. However, I've seen Reece completely lost in a previous game. Granted he is two years older than Reece, but you see certain games of Wan-Bissaka and you wonder if he can become the best in the world. You get inconsistency from every young player but it's not often you get that feeling. It means someone has a special skill that makes him the best in his position, and while there can be a debate to be had around the definition of his position I just keep thinking about Dani Alves. He was amazing going forward and nothing like Bissaka, but I used to get the feeling he was unstoppable. Almost always the most dominating player on the right side of the pitch, it's an amazing thing. Lahm too had that about him.

It looks great, but I’m inclined to think perhaps it might be better if he dealt with attackers without having to go to ground so often?

Red00012

I actually enjoy wingers trying to get past him . There’s always only one winner .

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

It really is like watching someone walk on a high wire between buildings. I know I couldn't do it, it's bordering on insane but they wouldn't do it if they didn't have the skill to do it and they really want to show you that they can. It's not that fun if you do it outside the penalty area or practicing on a line in your basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.