Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His form and confidence has turned around after getting the goal at Newcastle. Now he is playing a beast mode.
I'm not disagreeing with this but I also think Mctomminay & Fred helped him and the whole defence when they came back.

Our whole defence looked weak because people could run through our midfield like a marathon.

Woodzy

Still have nightmares over his performance against Palace, but he's been incredibly recently.

I was thinking the other day whether it's best to have a young full who can defend really well but needs to improve offensively, or vice versa. I genuinely think we are better off with the former (as long as they can make that improvement, obviously)

Man Utd 0:1 Arsenal

UncleBob

Still have nightmares over his performance against Palace, but he's been incredibly recently.

I was thinking the other day whether it's best to have a young full who can defend really well but needs to improve offensively, or vice versa. I genuinely think we are better off with the former (as long as they can make that improvement, obviously)
The feck he has...And today is another prime example of just how fecking useless he is at a top club.

marktan

Defensively he's a beast but since we have no proper wingers we really need fullbacks that can get forward.. He's just so limited in that regard. Arsenal have a similar dillema to us r.e wide forwards but Tierney and the moustache guy who's name I can't remember got forward well

Dinghy

If you can't see how crap he's on the ball and how it's hurting our build-up play, then there's no hope. What a fecking waste of £50m.

Actually didn't think he was that bad on the ball today at all, had a few dangerous first time crosses and was one of the few players that could play out of the back for us. Just a lazy trope hurled at him whenever we don't create enough in a big game, we had far bigger problems today.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Actually didn't think he was that bad on the ball today at all, had a few dangerous first time crosses and was one of the few players that could play out of the back for us. Just a lazy trope hurled at him whenever we don't create enough in a big game, we had far bigger problems today.
I agree.

We were losing balls all over the places without able to maintain possession anywhere except in our defence.

Wan Bissaka was getting forward and trying to cross even if it didnt result anything.

R77

Agreed. One of the last people to slag today.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he was absolutely crap. He blocked a couple of crosses sure but compeltely fell asleep a number of times and was making some dreadful decisions. Passing was rubbish too.

Sylar

He's so bad at crosses to the back post. How does he keep making the same mistake?

el3mel

As Fred I think he started really well then regressed a lot in second half. Can't be helped by the fact we had to actually attack more in second half and he's not good at it.

Ekeke

Certainly not one of his best games, but when you have Pogba, Fernandes, Maguire, Fred and McTominay struggling to find a decent pass or keeping the ball you can't really be upset that AWB didnt manage it either.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He is absolutely shit on the ball. Opposition teams are happy to give him time and space in the knowledge he will do nothing. Him and Shaw are a waste of space in an attacking sense, and our manager though diamond was a good idea :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I asked this question in the Pod group... But how many words do you think him and Lindelöf say to each other per game?

MattofManchester

I like him, but I just don't see how he fits into a team wanting to challenge at the top.
Hes so offensively awkward, and you just need to press him a little and he loses it or goes backwards.

His recoveries are very good but you'd expect him to have at least learned some degree of positioning by now, which he hasn't.

Hope it works for him, but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a liability.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's just utterly pointless when we're on the offense or when we're trying to build an attack in possession.

Cloud7

Like in the Maguire thread, this is the first match I've gotten a chance to watch since the Spurs match. I criticized him heavily during those games for being a non entity when the team goes forward. In my opinion, today he looked more constructive going forward. He's still not at the level we need him to be, but he does look a bit sharper in that respect.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There's a clear blueprint on how to beat us. Sit back and let Shaw n AWB have the ball. And it works every single time.

Never going anywhere with AWB in the team. He's a good tackler and that's it. He offers nothing else. His skill set is more suited to a team constantly fighting to stay up. But with way things are going that could well be us. Hahahahaha.

Khalif_20

Hope it works for him, but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a liability.
His skill set is more suited to a team constantly fighting to stay up.
Liability? Suited for a relagation team?

Mbappe - the best player in the world at the moment - was completely marked and tackled out of the game by AWB just a few days ago but here you are, writing him off.

My solution to his inefficient attacking game? Play him in a back three, as the RCB. He has a world class set of attributes for wide centre back, in possession he just lays off a short pass to DM (Mejbri), RCM (Bruno) or RW (Hakimi or Adama Traore)

Next season:

Tuanzebe - Mengi - AWB

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I asked this question in the Pod group... But how many words do you think him and Lindelöf say to each other per game?
Words are unnecessary. They can just stare at each other when the opposition gets the ball between the two.

Hammondo

I remember the story of Fergie reminding Evra why he bought him: to attack.

Fergie of 2005 was more progressive than Solskjaer of 2020.
How are attacking fullbacks progressive?

MattofManchester

Play him in a back three, as the RCB.
Are you kidding? His positioning is terrible, and he constantly misjudges crosses into the box.

He's a fantastic recovery tackler, but he wouldn't have to make so many tackles if he was in the right place to begin with.

A back 3 with him would be suicidal.

Red00012

If you can't see how crap he's on the ball and how it's hurting our build-up play, then there's no hope. What a fecking waste of £50m.
Vendetta much , if you think he’s the problem

Chicharito_

Unfortunately I think the only position he should play for us would be as a RCB in a back 5, you just cannot have someone that bad on the ball if he is meant to be providing you width and attacking fluidity down the right.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Are you kidding? His positioning is terrible, and he constantly misjudges crosses into the box.

He's a fantastic recovery tackler, but he wouldn't have to make so many tackles if he was in the right place to begin with.

A back 3 with him would be suicidal.
‘Recovery tackler’ Jesus Christ. Wide players can’t get past him 1v1, including the likes of Mbappe. He may not be right for us and he may need to massively improve in other areas but you can not bash his tackling ability - he is one of the best in the world in that respect.

MattofManchester

‘Recovery tackler’ Jesus Christ. Wide players can’t get past him 1v1, including the likes of Mbappe. He may not be right for us and he may need to improve in other areas but you can not bash his tackling ability - he is one of the best in the world in that respect.
What's with the assumption that everything is "bashing"?

I actually like Wan-Bissaka. But that doesn't absolve him of critique or questioning whether he's the right player for this club.

And no, I wasn't criticizing his tackling, but his positioning. Merely, if his positioning was better, he wouldn't have to make as many tackles.

That's not even a critique of AWB directly, because my actual question to that is why has his positioning not been improved and developed, when it is a known flaw? Or his ability to deal with crosses?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Liability? Suited for a relagation team?

Mbappe - the best player in the world at the moment - was completely marked and tackled out of the game by AWB just a few days ago but here you are, writing him off.

My solution to his inefficient attacking game? Play him in a back three, as the RCB. He has a world class set of attributes for wide centre back, in possession he just lays off a short pass to DM (Mejbri), RCM (Bruno) or RW (Hakimi or Adama Traore)

Next season:

Tuanzebe - Mengi - AWB
He has none of the attributes to be a RCB.

Mejbri isn’t a DM and has been serving up complete shit in the u23s anyway. He’s nowhere near the first team.

Nor are Mengi and Axel anywhere near being out starting CBs.

What a ridiculous post.

R77

He's bad in the middle third for sure. Great to 'ok' in the other two. There are workarounds we've used previously that have done us well, especially when Mata plays, but one of the issues today is that McTominay was the main option to bounce off. Bad choice of words there, but I'll leave it. It was all to easy for the opposition to nullify.

The right side is an issue on the ball in general, it's not merely down to AWB. We're much more fluent on the left. It's all quite unbalanced and easy to exploit and disrupt. Apart from similar fixes to what's already tried, it's difficult to see how to solve it with the players we have. Do we have even one CM that can pass decently that's naturally inclined toward that half? Or a genuine right sided attacker/winger/forward? Not sure we do, and until we do half of the team is fairly dysfunctional, very good on the back foot, poor on the front.

AWB isn't that much a problem. We'd be in an even worse position without him.

Dinghy

Vendetta much , if you think he’s the problem
He's a big part of it. His passing is shocking, he can't handle any press and his ball control is worse than pretty much any other player you'll see in the top division. He's the second most expensive right back of all time, yet there are probably about 40 other RB's I'd have over him, and that's me being generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.