Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Someone posted the below in the matchday thread, which (if genuine) seems to sum up the weaknesses AWB brings.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Someone posted the below in the matchday thread, which (if genuine) seems to sum up the weaknesses AWB brings.

Something to pay attention to today. Our biggest issue today is lack of options. AWB is probably our best option (does not imply he is good).

I think a good option would be a 343.

Walters_19_MuFc

This is a picture of our average position against Istanbul. It was almost a 343/325 in possession

I've constantly made the point that when AWB has width ahead of him, as he had with Rashford, it allows him to be more of a support right back, as opposed to an attacking one. Not only that, but he had Bruno moving over to the right, too.

As you can see, there's quite a distinct difference between himself (29) and Telles (27)

Going forward, we need a right-winger who has the discipline to hug the touchline and have the ability to take players on.

Hoping Greenwood can keep the width today, especially if we're going with a 4231.

Ekeke

This is a picture of our average position against Istanbul. It was almost a 343/325 in possession

I've constantly made the point that when AWB has width ahead of him, as he had with Rashford, it allows him to be more of a support right back, as opposed to an attacking one. Not only that, but he had Bruno moving over to the right, too.

As you can see, there's quite a distinct difference between himself (29) and Telles (27)

Going forward, we need a right-winger who has the discipline to hug the touchline and have the ability to take players on.

Hoping Greenwood can keep the width today, especially if we're going with a 4231.
That is what suits him, but thats certainly not how Greenwood plays. So I'll be as hopeful as you are that Greenwood does that but he never has before. He wants to play inside just like Mata and Lingard

Thought he was actually quite good on the ball today, few very good crosses as well. Tireless two-way display after being left isolated against Djenepo and Bertrand all game. Our fullback positioning defensively in the diamond is strange, they're being asked to play very narrow.

Godfather

Did very well today. Often completely isolated on the right but still managed to play himself out of bad situations

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he did excellently in both phases of the game. Just need to not overuse him like last season as his form goes to shit (like everyone's). Back to feeling optimistic and happy about him. Was worried for a bit, but he'll be fine.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Probably the first diagram I've seen where we are already out and not all choked up on he left side

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We need a winger ahead of him. He is not a full back who can own the wing on his own.

Holocene

Can't help but think that we would be better off with a technically gifted fullback for the majority of matches.

AWB is great in tough matches where we're expected to defend for large periods. His tackling is second to none. But these matches are far and few between.

He's at a massive disadvantage when we play we no right sided attacker. It's up to him to do it by himself which often leads to him getting doubled up on. Which isn't his fault at all.

Teja

He’s using his strength and pace to keep hold of the ball well, so I’m not too worried about him getting pressed by a single player anymore. So, some improvement but still doesn’t offer much attack wise, a Telles clone on the right would be amazing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The difference between his first half and second half was like the difference between my missus before and after her morning coffee

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He would he a lot better if we had a RW

Trequarista10

I feel that he's so close to really kicking on and stepping up a level or two.

I think he needs a bit more assertiveness offensively. Sometimes there is the opportunity when he receives the ball to drive to the byline/commit a defender, but his first instinct is to stop and play a safe ball to a team mate. When the safe ball isn't on, he then decides to take on the full back, but it's just a couple seconds too late, the defender has closed him down, and he's having to start dribbling from a standing position.

He's never going to be Cafu, but he definitely can step up a notch offensively. His crossing can be decent (Cavani chance today that went just wide), technically he is good. He has the pace too, its just the psychological element holding him back, that bit of aggression, assertiveness, drive, confidence, whatever you want to call it.

And it goes without saying, solid defneisvely.

Reactions: Sultan

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

I think he needs a bit more assertiveness offensively. Sometimes there is the opportunity when he receives the ball to drive to the byline/commit a defender, but his first instinct is to stop and play a safe ball to a team mate. When the safe ball isn't on, he then decides to take on the full back, but it's just a couple seconds too late, the defender has closed him down, and he's having to start dribbling from a standing position.

He's never going to be Cafu, but he definitely can step up a notch offensively. His crossing can be decent (Cavani chance today that went just wide), technically he is good. He has the pace too, its just the psychological element holding him back, that bit of aggression, assertiveness, drive, confidence, whatever you want to call it.

Nice post. I get what your saying aswell. I dont ever have a problem with his crossing and I actually really like it.

The only problem I have is as you said that decision he makes between running straight past the defender with momentum on the ball or stopping before making his decision where he has given that space in front to that defender.

I wonder if it's still because he is unsure of his defensive duties as a RB that he is scared to simply run as a RB, lose the ball and leave the back line open - so he kind of sits there before deciding to take a run or make a pass and head back. When he does make a run after stopping as well I dont think he is exceptionally bad at beating his man either.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

I completely agree with this and love this post! He actually can take players on or at least win a corner from them, he can do it and I think you’re right he needs that assertiveness to do it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Having this guy means we have a very accomplished RB. Slight attacking deficiencies aside he’s quality and it astounds me that this guy gets criticised. The best RB we’ve had since Gary Neville hands down.

The difference between his first half and second half was like the difference between my missus before and after her morning coffee
it was like the difference between my misses when I’ve had zero pints, and 8 pints...

He’s an improving player. He’s got no support down the right, and I think he’s doing well.

Teja

Agree with this, good post!

thepolice123

Looks more assertive and at times demanding for the ball. Hope he goes up a level from here. Very good start to the season so far for him.

Solid as usual defensively.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Considering all the grief he gets for his technique I do think he's deceptively good dribbler. I honestly don't actually think he's got a bad cross on him, I think he'll pick up a decent amount of assists this season.
Having this guy means we have a very accomplished RB. Slight attacking deficiencies aside he’s quality and it astounds me that this guy gets criticised. The best RB we’ve had since Gary Neville hands down.
Yeah, he's really good, only just turned 23 too. I think it's easy to forget how young he is. In my opinion he's been one of the best signings we've made in the last 5 years.

MattofManchester

He was good today, but his positioning really hurt us a few times. Feels like that part of his game needs to improve first and foremost.

Andersons Dietician

Considering all the grief he gets for his technique I do think he's deceptively good dribbler. I honestly don't actually think he's got a bad cross on him, I think he'll pick up a decent amount of assists this season.

Yeah, he's really good, only just turned 23 too. I think it's easy to forget how young he is. In my opinion he's been one of the best signings we've made in the last 5 years.
His dribbiling is a bit like his tackling, just when you think he can’t get to it he somehow wraps a leg around it or just knocks it away from the opposition.

He never really looks like he is in control of the ball to me but somehow it works for him. It’s surprising the amount of times he somehow gets himself out of what looks like a sticky situation from his dribbiling. I honestly can’t say if he is a good or bad dribbler because none of it looks like he means it but somehow it just works.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

This 100%

At this stage you cannot coach average defenders to be good defenders. Looking back at the bad old days where we would constantly bemoan the likes of Phil Jones because he was clumsy, positionally awful, tackled when he should stay on his feet and stood off when he should be more assertive in the tackle. . My opinion is give me AWB over somebody like Kyle Walker or Hector Bellerin who are liable to brain fart or three every game.

I think people judge AWB harshly against the high bar of TAA at Liverpool. No doubt excellent going forward and a game changer given the chance. Close his offensive game down and he is very sus at defending.

AWB deficiencies are amplified because we do not have a regular right winger / forward / midfielder

Born2Lose

Playing as full back for this team is a thankless task.

Unsurprising how when he plays with a striker with movement that he almost gets an assist.

eire-red

Feel like he's just quietly been improving as the season has gone on, solid defensively as always and has improved his recycling of posession and ball retention a lot.

Feel like he'd be much better with a natural winger in front of him, someone who will do their defensive responsibilities, and someone he can link up with instead of being so isolated on the wing. He looks more comfortable providing support, rather than being the primary attacking outlet.

His final ball often lets him down, but I actually think his interplay and his turn of pace and dribbling have come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so. When he has support on the flanks we're actually quite good at working decent positions. Just needs to work on his delivery, especially that first time cross Neville was so good at. Taking that extra touch allows the defence to get set.

Ekeke

Yep those arent issues of his, not for a right back anyway. Obviously not as good a crosser or dribbler as some of the fake winger wingbacks, but for a rightback he can go past a man and he can put in a decent ball. Finding a nice progressive pass to someone making a run is where he can improve. He doesnt really look for those passes that hurt

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

He was good against Southampton. Hope he can build from here.

Man Utd 1:3 PSG

Lassitude42

I thought he did well tonight. He looked up for it and was aggressive throughout, as well as contributing in attack - notably setting up Rashford for the first. He looks an elite defender at this level, and we were unlucky to lose.

Foxbatt

I thought his running back was poor. It put our midfield players under pressure because he simply kept jogging back and `Fred had to sprint back. His positional play and his heading was poor too. He is very good on the 1 v 1 but otherwise not a top full back right now.

Ekeke

I thought his running back was poor. It put our midfield players under pressure because he simply kept jogging back and `Fred had to sprint back. His positional play and his heading was poor too. He is very good on the 1 v 1 but otherwise not a top full back right now.
Thats Fred's job. McTominay's too

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Thought he was alright enough today. His position vs PSG is not really where the game is won but it's certainly where it can be lost. So the fact that he made obvious no errors leading to a goal is testament to a strong game.

Red00012

Good pass for the goal when swinging it in was the easy option .
Thought he did well

kundalini

When I was rewatching the game, I felt his positional play in our defensive third was an issue on several occasions. Lindelof was telling Wan-Bissaka to cover the substitute but he ignored the instructions so Neymar made a simple pass that created a big chance that De Gea did well to save. From the corner, AWB was slow pushing out for offside compared to the rest of the defence (as was Cavani), resulting in PSG players being onside when Herrera's off-target shot arrived and then again when Diallo made the assist for Marquinhos' goal.

The other moment that stood out to me on 2nd viewing was a dangerous cross from the right that De Gea could have claimed but instead retreated, only for Neymar to narrowly fail to get a touch. Wan-Bissaka was sort of marking Neymar in the build-up but never got goal-side and wasn't even in the picture when the cross arrived; fortunate the ball didn't end up in our net.

Wan-Bissaka was perhaps better in possession than usual but not so great defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.