Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Derbyshire

Only we would spend £50m on a donkey of a right back.
Very harsh, he’s an excellent defensive full back, he’s had many a top quality player in his pocket, what’s poor is we can’t train him to be any better going forwards.

Reddevildans

Absolutely diabolical. Gets diarrhoea everytime he crosses the half way line. He can't cross or whip in a cross at all. Turns back far too much and just isn't good at all to be our first choice right back.

lenny_1248

At this point, Ole HAS TO give a chance to Laird. Granted if he stays fit, of course.
Honestly, I'm fecking shocked by how bad AWB is.

Eddy_JukeZ

Very harsh, he’s an excellent defensive full back, he’s had many a top quality player in his pocket, what’s poor is we can’t train him to be any better going forwards.
He's an excellent defensive full back only in 1vs1 situations.

His positioning is often suspect and he defends the back post really poorly.

Jacob

Actually starting to get convinced he's not much more than a decent tackler. He looks scared and clueless going forward.

yamo123x

Woeful . Clueless and other than being good At slide tackling I don’t think he is good enough defensively. Wolves attacks in 1st and 2nd half he was way out of position and ambles back.

We really need an upgrade

LS17

We are desperate for an attacking right back in games like today. I like him but he’s just not good enough going forward when teams are deep and I really don’t see him getting much better at it. He’s way too uncomfortable and awkward when on the ball and I don’t see it ever drastically improving.

el3mel

He has been honestly having a nightmare of a season. He played well very few games so far, his best game was PSG away. He has been on a terrible form for a long time and can't some to regain form.

redNATION

Everything wrong with our transfer policy, £50m for this guy! He looks championship level, but then I’ve seen FBs in the championship play better football than AWB. He absolutely has no attacking qualities, and when you play at the top level some slide tackles aren’t good enough.

RuudTom83

I think the signing of Telles has helped keep Shaw honest, and i believe the same needs to happen in the RB position too.

Against the top 4 teams AWB is needed for his defensive skills but against teams that United need to breakdown he is not much use at all tbh.

MiracleInMadrid

He has shown me no sign of improvement in the offensive side of his game. He even seems to know his boundaries himself. Looks like having no confidence when facing a defender in a 1-v-1. Stops, looks around and then turns around.

If we want to play the way Ole sets us up, AWB can only be a second choice rightback at this club.

tomaldinho1

He was clearly fecked tonight and I don't think he'd have played had Lindelof not tweaked his back. I think the abuse on here is too much, we kept a clean sheet and he's never been an attacking RB, so why would we give him shit for not being one?

He's great one versus one, he covers Lindelof's ass most games and you also have to factor in he has never played with an actual RW in all his time with us.

Ollie Derbyshire

When he has zero help on his side every game I don’t see what you are all expecting, mason is useless at tracking back and offers very little in that aspect, as does Rashford. Give him Beckham tracking back to help him out and a CB on his side that can organise and he come on a lot more.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Its not anything to train. He lacks basic technique and ability on the ball. Fantastic athlete and great tackler who is well suited to tucking in and defending great wingers, but he simply is a liability when a team is trying to control a game on the front foot and it’s noticeable when our players actively try to avoid passing him the ball

Dorris

We’re in a title race if we can get a new right back. That’s how much he limits us.

Heinzesight

When the other team have it out wide he ball watches, gets drawn out, lets his man go, dangerous attack for the opposition...rinse and re-fecking-peat.

Aint gota Kalou

I don't think his ability on the ball will ever be good enough. He carries it in space well enough and then freezes when a defender gets near. Can see why we wanted Trippier as a attacking full back will be so useful in the majority of games.

Ollie Derbyshire

Its not anything to train. He lacks basic technique and ability on the ball. Fantastic athlete and great tackler who is well suited to tucking in and defending great wingers, but he simply is a liability when a team is trying to control a game on the front foot and it’s noticeable when our players actively try to avoid passing him the ball
Course you can train it in to him.

Godfather

Another RB is a must. I like AWB but he needs competition for his place. One that can cross a football.

Castia

Brilliant defender but awful going forward

We need an attacking right back in these games against low block teams

Have defended him a lot but I'm done to be honest. Last season I saw some progression in his dribbling and attacking play along with good positionial ability and his already great tackling, but he's gone completely backwards. Only above PL average skills are his 1v1 and recovery tackling abilities. In terms of movement, passing, attacking IQ, heading, positioning and tracking runs he's absolutely horrific. Leaves the RCB isolated against attackers time and time again due to his inability to stay with his man and cut out vertical balls. He's costing us at both ends of the pitch nowadays.

No point in trying to sell him as no team in modern football will spend more than 10 million on him. Just have to hope Laird is able to break through and bench him as I think we'll be wary to buy another right back 2 years after spending 50 million pounds on one.

Eternitiy

He's an excellent defensive full back only in 1vs1 situations.

His positioning is often suspect and he defends the back post really poorly.
Yes, I really can't fathom how it became a common view that he's good defensively. He occasionally makes an aesthetically pleasing robust slide tackle, but he's so, so poor at the basics of defending. Let's not even get into his ability on the ball and contribution to attacking play.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I told you all this in December 2019. He's not good enough for us. Awful signing.

Sparky Rhiwabon

There’s no point complaining about him not being very good going forward, we knew this when we bought him. If you want to question someone, it’s the manager - why did he want a traditional defensive type fullback at a time when the role is becoming a more attacking position? Assume this was a conscious, tactical decision?

snk123

People saying he’s a good defender should watch the Leipzeg game again. He is awful positionally every game. Slide tackles are great but he should definitely not be our #1 right back. Contributes nothing going forward

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What people dont seem to understand is what Ole has done to Shaw will happen to Wan Bissaka and these fans are absolutely impatient for a player who has only played his role for 3 years and is clueless.

Ole bought Wan Bissaka and likes Shaw because nearly every clubs plays inverted forwards in the modern game so having some defensive fullbacks is useful as we have seen in game - yet when the time is right Ole will buy attacking full backs to compete with the defensive ones.

Everyone is talking about how Shaw is looking much better now but it's all seems align very well with the signing with Telles isnt it?

Why is that? Shaw was looking good bit and pieces but now he is starting to look more like a complete player with attacking abilities and crossing because he has started to learn from Telles almost instantly. This is something Ole clearly is bringing from SAF era and wants his players his to learn from players of experience! And difference - was shaw any better learning from brandon William's? Not really.

Why do I say this?

Because wan Bissaka is the only bloody RB at the whole club.

The whole club.

He is 20 something.

He has played the role for 3 years and he is clearly learning his position still and he has no one to learn it from.

Ole will sign a player of experience and attacking to make Wan Bissaka learn the role and make the lad more confident.

How can our fans not see this?

VivaRonaldo85

I said in the match thread but he reminds me of the last season of Antonio Valencia. Gets the ball in the final third and his first thought is a pass sidewards or backwards. His crossing is similar too, generally head down, hit ball and hope. He seems to get regularly caught out of position too with balls down the inside channel and crosses to the back post.

The only thing he has going for him is the one on one tackling but even that hasn’t been seen as much recently.

He needs big competition in that position like Shaw now has.

ManRed

Not the right game for him especially with Neto and Traore playing centrally. Unfortunately we do not have an appropriate backup here. Can we try Telles here to give our attack a different dimension.

Obiorahking_

Is it just me or does he still play with lack of urgency defensively? He seems to be jogging getting back/tight to his man on too many possessions.

Ollie Derbyshire

What people dont seem to understand is what Ole has done to Shaw will happen to Wan Bissaka and these fans are absolutely impatient for a player who has only played his role for 3 years and is clueless.

Ole bought Wan Bissaka and likes Shaw because nearly every clubs plays inverted forwards in the modern game so having some defensive fullbacks is useful as we have seen in game - yet when the time is right Ole will buy attacking full backs to compete with the defensive ones.

Everyone is talking about how Shaw is looking much better now but it's all seems align very well with the signing with Telles isnt it?

Why is that? Shaw was looking good bit and pieces but now he is starting to look more like a complete player with attacking abilities and crossing because he has started to learn from Telles almost instantly. This is something Ole clearly is bringing from SAF era and wants his players his to learn from players of experience! And difference - was shaw any better learning from brandon William's? Not really.

Why do I say this?

Because wan Bissaka is the only bloody RB at the whole club.

The whole club.

He is 20 something.

He has played the role for 3 years and he is clearly learning his position still and he has no one to learn it from.

Ole will sign a player of experience and attacking to make Wan Bissaka learn the role and make the lad more confident.

How can our fans not see this?
Cause they just want the next TAA, someone raiding down the wing but who can’t defend. Horses for courses simple as that, like you say get an experienced RB in and he’ll get better as he learns the position more.

Welbeckham

AWB at 50m was a far worse buy than Maguire at 80m
I don’t trust anyone who disagrees with this.

He is the first player who needs to be replaced, I honestly think both Tuanzebe and Lindelöf outperformed him while he was injured. Based on that, you can only imagine how much good a capable RB would do.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Absolutely diabolical. Gets diarrhoea everytime he crosses the half way line. He can't cross or whip in a cross at all. Turns back far too much and just isn't good at all to be our first choice right back.
I get diarrhea every time I watch him get diarrhea. So frustrating to watch, just waiting for him to kill an attack every damn time.

Status
Not open for further replies.