Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

That was as woeful an attacking performance as you could get - in a game which was crying out for one from our right back. His reluctance to cross and play quick passes made so many players look poorer, not least poor Greenwood. Absolutely have to get an attacking right back to compete with him.
Yeah still hoping Ole actually realises that when the window opens

zenith

Really think we should cut the lad some slack. Yeah, he's poor offensively but we already knew that when we bought him.

He's been playing pretty much non stop since the beginning of last season and is for sure a part of reason why we are conceding less goals. I recall how we had a non existant TV and how freely crosses used to come in.

If only we could have some telles level competition for him (maybe get Dalot back) then he could rest, work on his attacking game and not take his position for granted.

The United

I would fix the right wing first before AWB.

We tend to play with our wide forwards high for counter attacking even when we defend. So, it makes sense to have a defensive minded full back but only when we have some top wide forwards ahead. The left side is ok for that. But, the right side, not really. We already know that though.

KetilOwren88

His offensive problems are more advanced than just his crossing. He generally struggles to find good offensive positions. I guess some of it are due to coaching, but also because he is insecure and defensive minded. That should have been improved by now. My other big problem with him going forward is his first touch which rarely is straight forward down the line. Instead he hesitates and looks like a spinning car stucked in the mud. It’s weird. So many times yesterday, either he gave the ball away or desroyed the rhytm in our attack completely. We have seen him put in some good crosses and even goals going forward so I believe there are still good hopes for him with the right coaching, but he really needs competition or/and quicker developement.

Ekeke

Guy he cant play football. No big problems with him defensively but as a footballer he is lacking in almost every department.

0 technique/control
0 burst
0 skill
0 craft
pretty decent off ball movement
substandard passing
0 crossing accuracy
0 confidence

I’m biased because I was a big Valencia fan but I do believe that it’s undeniable that at least he could show a change of pace to get a cross in the box. AWB cant even do that reliably. To make matters worse, there seems to be a big drop in his urgency to get back on defense. I can’t stand him man. We definitely need someone to compete with him because his lack of footballing ability is downright unacceptable and borderline insulting.
For sure Valencia was better going forward. He was much worse defending. Its not that AWB isnt good, its that you dont like his style of fullback. But theres a reason we bought AWB and a reason we play him instead of people who are better going forward like Dalot, Williams and youth players.

Our CBs need him.

Without more capable CBs and DMs who are going to fill in at fullback when they've been caught in front of the ball bombing forward we arent going to be playing an extra winger from fullback. You need the players to enable that and we dont have them right now.

For a good example of this look at England's version of Trent Alexander Arnold. He gets caught out at the back and is nowhere near as effective as for Liverpool going forward. Its the Liverpool CBs, the attacking players like Salah pressing from the front and the responsible midfielders who will cover his position that allows him to play as a right winger when they have the ball. Without those things all we could hope to have is England's version and they play pretty dour football too with very average results and some problems at the back. We're doing better than they are

Ekeke

The bigger the threat we have the more teams will pay attention to it. Suffice to say, this includes the right back and/or the right wing.

If our right back could cross they wouldn't let him stand there in so much space, as we could easily exploit that.
Right. So we'd need a good crossing right back, a Pogba on the right and a forward who can pick up the ball and run at the defence and score from the right wing, like Martial and Rashford do from the left. At that point the right wing wouldnt get more space than the left wing.

Until we sign those 3 players our rightback is going to get plenty of space when we switch the ball out there. It isnt down to 1 player its down to the combination and an attacking player is going to be seen as far more of a threat than a fullback

Valencia Shin Crosses

There’s no point complaining about him not being very good going forward, we knew this when we bought him. If you want to question someone, it’s the manager - why did he want a traditional defensive type fullback at a time when the role is becoming a more attacking position? Assume this was a conscious, tactical decision?
I think people's frustrations lie less with him not being able to contribute assists and be a threat in the final third, and more with the fact that he's an active liability on the ball more so then anyone else in our XI, and teams target him for it. So when you have a team like ours where our right side is already shunned because of the lack of a wide player even with miles of space there, and then the only guy receiving the ball on that side is AWB, people lose their minds.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Looked explosive and athletic today. This 22 year old is going to be world class at 27.
Mate I'd give up the sport if you're being serious. He was awful. Everything just breaks down with him. Against 15 PL sides we need somebody who can actually play football.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So lets sign Neto who did crap all against a RB that wouldnt get in to any team in the PL due to his lack of abilities and has been probably the most regularly starting player in the first xi in a top 4 achieving team and a team that some are saying are looking like a PL title contender. :drool:

All of this whilst being the absolute only RB at the club. A player that has only played his role for 3 years and is clearly in need of a helping hand of a player with experience coaching him - not carrick.

Lets sign Neto :drool:

Ekeke

So lets sign Neto who did crap all against a RB that wouldnt get in to any team in the PL due to his lack of abilities and has been probably the most regularly starting player in the first xi in a top 4 achieving team and a team that some are saying are looking like a PL title contender. :drool:

All of this whilst being the absolute only RB at the club. A player that has only played his role for 3 years and is clearly in need of a helping hand of a player with experience coaching him - not carrick.

Lets sign Neto :drool:
Lets sign him and play him leftback, then try to score 5 goals every game because we concede 4 every game

Obiorahking_

For sure Valencia was better going forward. He was much worse defending. Its not that AWB isnt good, its that you dont like his style of fullback. But theres a reason we bought AWB and a reason we play him instead of people who are better going forward like Dalot, Williams and youth players.

Our CBs need him.

Without more capable CBs and DMs who are going to fill in at fullback when they've been caught in front of the ball bombing forward we arent going to be playing an extra winger from fullback. You need the players to enable that and we dont have them right now.

For a good example of this look at England's version of Trent Alexander Arnold. He gets caught out at the back and is nowhere near as effective as for Liverpool going forward. Its the Liverpool CBs, the attacking players like Salah pressing from the front and the responsible midfielders who will cover his position that allows him to play as a right winger when they have the ball. Without those things all we could hope to have is England's version and they play pretty dour football too with very average results and some problems at the back. We're doing better than they are
I get what you are trying to say. I do understand his value as a defender in our setup because our CBs are slow and we lack a proper DM but my issue isn’t just with style it’s to do with actual abilities as a footballer. He is an active liability every time he is on the ball. At best he just looks unnaturally clunky but it looks like he struggles with the basics and it makes him liability on both ends. I don’t need AWB to be Dani Alves or Trent like going forward I just don’t think it’s too much to ask for a United footballer to know how to control and pass the ball properly. I always knew that this was his weakness and that as a young player hed take a few seasons but there’s been no progress at all since he’s been here. In fact, I think it got worse and that’s so irritating to me because I get the sense that he isn’t putting in the work to up his game. One thing I liked about Tony is that he actually did make noticeable improvements going forward.For example, he started using lofted crosses, rather than the low driven duds he used to do and this was very late in his career.

Bebestation

Lets sign him and play him leftback, then try to score 5 goals every game because we concede 4 every game
I think Ole will sign Trippier to help Wan Bissaka out like Telles seemed to 'complete shaw' this season. People who dont see this with shaw is nuts - he was good last season but not this good, a mixture of squad rotation and learning from experience to cover his weakness including crossing and fitness.

Great coaching from Ole and i am excited to see to it happen with Wan Bissaka.

For me, Shaw and Wan Bissaka are rarer fullbacks to find in the modern day if they are coached to their potential like Ole plans to do.

Players like Lamptey and Aarons or even Dest for example will alway be available for us in the market when we need them (replacing the experience of trippier or telles) because its not like these type of footballers are hard to find or hard to get.

Ole knows what he is doing. Wan Bassaka is knew to the role and he doesnt and our fans are ruthless.

Its why im never joining in rival club talk - i dislike our fan club the most whilst loving our football club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The way our fans go on about Maguire and this guy seems to do no wrong with many Utd fans. I even heard many say he should have been our player of the year last year. Talk about a clueless fanbase.

Maguire hasn't been great and was definitely over priced but he's still been better than AWB for me.

Ekeke

I get what you are trying to say. I do understand his value as a defender in our setup because our CBs are slow and we lack a proper DM but my issue isn’t just with style it’s to do with actual abilities as a footballer. He is an active liability every time he is on the ball. At best he just looks unnaturally clunky but it looks like he struggles with the basics and it makes him liability on both ends. I don’t need AWB to be Dani Alves or Trent like going forward I just don’t think it’s too much to ask for a United footballer to know how to control and pass the ball properly. I always knew that this was his weakness and that as a young player hed take a few seasons but there’s been no progress at all since he’s been here. In fact, I think it got worse and that’s so irritating to me because I get the sense that he isn’t putting in the work to up his game. One thing I liked about Tony is that he actually did make noticeable improvements going forward.For example, he started using lofted crosses, rather than the low driven duds he used to do and this was very late in his career.
If he was a liability he'd give the ball away constantly. He doesnt.

We've also seen Lindelof and Maguire struggle more with controlling the ball with a first touch without it rebounding out for a throw under no pressure in the past few games than AWB so no that isnt an issue for him more than them.

The truth is he isnt given many options in attack and you would need someone like Dani Alves to pick the ball up at right back and do it on his own when you have those lack of options on the right side of the pitch. We play McTominay, or Fred RCM and Greenwood on that side. Legs and a winger who wants to be in the middle all the time and because he's left footed and not a particularly good passer he often passes backwards and towards the CMs.

We dont have players giving good passing options for nice triangles on that side of the pitch. Its all on our left side. If players were making great runs and giving great options on the right side for AWB to pass to and he never passed to them thats one thing. But it doesnt happen. He's out there alone other than a left footed forward who doesnt have many more passing ideas than AWB has.

Ekeke

This is our heat map of all our DMs, AM/Fernandes and Strikers from the Wolves match. This is without our left backs Telles and Shaw or Rashford our left winger bloating the side even more

Thats how much help our left side gets from our central players compared to the right side. Greenwood and AWB dont get that kind of support with loads of passing options and players making runs down their side. I mean look at that left side, thats the heat map without our leftback and our left wingers and theres still players playing in the wide areas. We dont do that on the right hand side. Its clear

Lassitude42

Yeah, we've focussed play down the left for years. That's where Martial / Rashford / Bruno / Pogba do most of their work.

And when we attack down the left, compact defences move to the left to shut down space there. Of course the right will be more open. This idea that "opposition teams give him lots of space" is a bizarre stick to beat him with.

Reactions: Sultan

Tarrou

Right. So we'd need a good crossing right back, a Pogba on the right and a forward who can pick up the ball and run at the defence and score from the right wing, like Martial and Rashford do from the left. At that point the right wing wouldnt get more space than the left wing.

Until we sign those 3 players our rightback is going to get plenty of space when we switch the ball out there. It isnt down to 1 player its down to the combination and an attacking player is going to be seen as far more of a threat than a fullback
if you reread my post you'll see I acknowledge it isn't down to one player, so we're not that far off in our thinking.

I just disagree one player can't make a significant difference, but let's just agree to disagree on that.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Good at defending (needs to improve positioning though) but going forward he's a bit useless. It is affecting us heavily

Bebestation

Funny no one beats Mason Greenwood for being shit as a left footed RW.

Has done crap all every time he starts a game with Rashford as a striker in partnership either.

What @Lassitude42 says is a good post - we have been practicing and had our left hand channels players almost completely full since the LVG reign from Shaw, Martial, Rashford, and then the Pogba's and Bruno's building a partnership.

Who do we have on the right? Who did we ever have? This links up with @Ekeke Heat map showing how much of our players dont go down that side compared to the left.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He has too many flaws in his game. He is without question good in defence, sometimess excellent but positioning, jogging back and attacking play are bellow even PL standard. Shaw and Dave showed what competition does for a player. We have 22y old player who is nailed starter in every game. If we bring attacking full back, it would be good kick in the ass to AWB.
We don't need to bring another 50mil FB. I am sure that there are some good 15-20 mil options out there. And i would go for some experienced one

Matt851

Funny no one beats Mason Greenwood for being shit as a left footed RW.

Has done crap all every time he starts a game with Rashford as a striker in partnership either.

What @Lassitude42 says is a good post - we have been practicing and had our left hand channels players almost completely full since the LVG reign from Shaw, Martial, Rashford, and then the Pogba's and Bruno's building a partnership.

Who do we have on the right? Who did we ever have? This links up with @Ekeke Heat map showing how much of our players dont go down that side compared to the left.
I think people are cottoning on to the fact it might be a difficult season for mason and he potentially isnt ready to be our first choice rw

However he is a youth prospect and not a £50m signing. As it is it looks like we signed a very expensive right back who can only do part of the job of a modern full back.

He is very poor on the ball, i personally am more worried about this lack of technique than his crossing ability. I think a lot of people assume this is just something he can learn but it seems pretty fundamental as a footballer to me so there is a good chance he will always be below rhe standard required in that area

Ekeke

if you reread my post you'll see I acknowledge it isn't down to one player, so we're not that far off in our thinking.

I just disagree one player can't make a significant difference, but let's just agree to disagree on that.
I think 1 player can make significant difference, but it wouldnt be a rightback we can sign. It would be Sancho or a top winger, or an attacking midfielder who likes to play on that right side. Those would be the danger men

Bebestation

I think people are cottoning on to the fact it might be a difficult season for mason and he potentially isnt ready to be our first choice rw

However he is a youth prospect and not a £50m signing. As it is it looks like we signed a very expensive right back who can only do part of the job of a modern full back.

He is very poor on the ball, i personally am more worried about this lack of technique than his crossing ability. I think a lot of people assume this is just something he can learn but it seems pretty fundamental as a footballer to me so there is a good chance he will always be below rhe standard required in that area
But he is a young player with three years experience in his role and not anything more. He has absolutely no one to learn anything from here or to teach him the role.

Lamptey or Aaron's type of fullbacks will be here for decades. There is absolutely nothing unique about them. They are the traditional attacking fullback.

Ole bought Wan Bissaka for something different and he has a good standard so far of keeping some world class LW quiet (which has always been much more occupied than the RW spot that Shaw deals with). Shaw was also a defensive fullback for alot of his career here who only this season to me is looking to have improved his attacking play.

It's clearly a plan Ole wanted to have some nice fullbacks who can handle their wingers & now all of a sudden the fans are crying for bloody Lamptey and Aaron's?

Where is the sense in that? I want some attacking fullbacks too but the way people think Wan Bissaka is useless is utter rubbish. The guy is 3 years in to his role, completely new, 2nd year at this club with no one like a RB coach or even a damn Antonio Valencia able to coach him at the moment.

If you think having Lamptey and Aaron's would have let us get in to the top 4 and be 2nd because Wan Bissaka is not some part of Ole's tactics then so be it. There's really no point talking about all those times Lamptey would've got ripped a new hole by all those LW's wan Bissaka managed to kept quiet 3 years in to a RB career.

Ps. I still want an attacking RB version of Telles to provide Wan Bissaka some experience building mentoring.

binary bot
It's clear that he's a bad attacking right back who's deficiencies are exasperated by squad balance.

Still an excellent option to have for his defensive qualities and reliability. Bring in an attacking alternative and our depth and variety at full back is great.

DRM

I would like him to show a bit more courage when he gets the ball on the right. Too many times yesterday he would look for a simply pass when he should've whipped in a cross, or at least try to take on a man.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If we were to sell him now, how much would we get?
We would get his market value which is around 20-25 mil. He is not a bad player at all but he is just not solution for top teams who in most of games play against low block

justsomebloke

It's clear that he's a bad attacking right back who's deficiencies are exasperated by squad balance.

Still an excellent option to have for his defensive qualities and reliability. Bring in an attacking alternative and our depth and variety at full back is great.

Agree with this. Also, he is playing far too much. I think he was up to 17 or 18 consecutive starts before the Leicester game. Both last year and this, we've seen his form deteriorate in the long run.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Sometimes we attack and there is a nice opening and then we play the ball to him and then everything slows down big time. It´s not only down to him because obviously we mostly set up without pure wingers and combine very little on the right but he should take more advanced positions to recieve ball in and be more positive with his first touch. He´s too hesitant to take it forward or just make a run and stretch the play properly.

This is not CP, where he would defend 70% of times and take some responsibility forward, he should take more courage and bomb forward, it feels like he watched late Valencia sometimes.

I also reckon the general problem about him and other players like Maguire or Pogba is that the bigger the pricetag the higher expectations. He was signed for 50m whereas he´s a 30m player, look at Telles, he´s expected to be a back up not a world class playerwho should hit the ground running. Only if Ethan Laird could stay fit he would have already put some pressure on AWB to impose more on the games. Perhaps we sign someone short term like Trippier to fi this issue. Fullbacks are a huge problem for us.

Eplel

Part of the problem is that our full backs do not overlap with our wingers. Ole needs to fix that.

Our game development from both sides is static, no wonder he can't find any space.

arthurka

Just going to leave this here, the love for Shaw and hate for AWB needs to be shown with some hard facts (Thanks Benitez).

Shaw PL stats.

Appearances167
Goals1
Assists8
Clean sheets45

AWB

Appearances90
Goals1
Assists7
Clean sheets29

77 games less in the league he has a better output than Shaw but he is also better defensively. Say what you want he is not a player that you need to replace, we need a proper RW with him and they need to form some kind of a relationship. But I fully agree with what people are saying teams are leaving him wide open again and again because he can't cross to save his live. Bringing in an offensive RB like Max Aarons or Trippier would help this team in games like yesterday. Plus Shaw has looked much better since we signed Telles, hopefully that might also happen with AWB.

Matt851

But he is a young player with three years experience in his role and not anything more. He has absolutely no one to learn anything from here or to teach him the role.

Lamptey or Aaron's type of fullbacks will be here for decades. There is absolutely nothing unique about them. They are the traditional attacking fullback.

Ole bought Wan Bissaka for something different and he has a good standard so far of keeping some world class LW quiet (which has always been much more occupied than the RW spot that Shaw deals with). Shaw was also a defensive fullback for alot of his career here who only this season to me is looking to have improved his attacking play.

It's clearly a plan Ole wanted to have some nice fullbacks who can handle their wingers & now all of a sudden the fans are crying for bloody Lamptey and Aaron's?

Where is the sense in that? I want some attacking fullbacks too but the way people think Wan Bissaka is useless is utter rubbish. The guy is 3 years in to his role, completely new, 2nd year at this club with no one like a RB coach or even a damn Antonio Valencia able to coach him at the moment.

If you think having Lamptey and Aaron's would have let us get in to the top 4 and be 2nd because Wan Bissaka is not some part of Ole's tactics then so be it. There's really no point talking about all those times Lamptey would've got ripped a new hole by all those LW's wan Bissaka managed to kept quiet 3 years in to a RB career.

Ps. I still want an attacking RB version of Telles to provide Wan Bissaka some experience building mentoring.
Well he is at the club now so yes we do just need a more attacking alternative, i hope the problem is addressed this window because it could have a big impact on our season

You say that ole wanted defensive full backs but in that case it appears his plan was wrong because the full backs are being relied upon to provide the width in the team and are seeing a lot of the ball in most games. If you look at what our full backs are required to do a lot more of it involves attacking than defending so awb's strength isnt being used and his weakness is being exposed. Thats why he was more suited to playing for a team like crystal palace than us. He is more of a 90s full back than a modern one

As others have mentioned its also being exacerbated by our lack of a proper rw

It still feels to me like our transfer business isnt properly informed by going after a specific profile of player to fit with what we need to play in a defined system. DVB is an obvious example of this

90 + 5min

Some short input.

His defensive game is good. I don't really have anything to say and he will get better in his decision making the older he get.

His attacking game is shockingly bad. He takes wrong decision pretty much all the time. I don't think he has a clue what to do, if I am honest. If I was Solskjaer I would say following to Bissaka.
- Listen, Bissaka. Boys are in the box. They are waiting. Stop turning around all the time wich results in passing back the ball and you getting dizzy. Once you get the ball in the last 3rd of the pitch, send it in like a rocket. Don't think, don't even look. Just send it between goal and penalty spot. Shoot it in if you want. Just do something that it isn't turning around and passing it back. Be direct. Trust in yourself and send that peace of leather in. Send. That. Ball. In.

Ekeke

Actually cant believe posters are saying he's terrible in attack then suggesting he should just cross the ball each time he gets it. Well I can believe it, but I shouldnt be able to. If hes terrible in attack isnt it a good thing he passes back to our attacking midfielder to cross instead? Imagine wanting AWB to cross the ball instead of Fernandes

Sylar

I think the signing of Telles has helped keep Shaw honest, and i believe the same needs to happen in the RB position too.

Against the top 4 teams AWB is needed for his defensive skills but against teams that United need to breakdown he is not much use at all tbh.
Id probably go with this. Shaw looks much better now that Telles has come in to give proper competition (tbf Shaw was looking good end of last season too with Williams giving competition)

AWB might come good with proper competition who can attack. Maybe.

But yesterday was so annoying because it looked like he was scared to cross. So many times in good positions and his first choice is to pass it back rather than at least try to drive to the byline and put in a cross or pull it back.
Two occasions really annoyed me, when Bruno put him in and hes got about 3 in the box to aim for and he tries pulling it back for Bruno.
And one where he can cross and instead puts it back to Bailly to cross from the half way line.

Blood Mage

He gets in great positions but has no confidence in himself to cross the ball. Surely Ole should demand that he work on them in training?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

This is our heat map of all our DMs, AM/Fernandes and Strikers from the Wolves match. This is without our left backs Telles and Shaw or Rashford our left winger bloating the side even more

Thats how much help our left side gets from our central players compared to the right side. Greenwood and AWB dont get that kind of support with loads of passing options and players making runs down their side. I mean look at that left side, thats the heat map without our leftback and our left wingers and theres still players playing in the wide areas. We dont do that on the right hand side. Its clear
Completely agree that our left has had the main bulk of support in attack arguably since Young.

AWB job is to defend and then support. He’s not meant to be a creative crosser etc.

Tarrou

Some short input.

His defensive game is good. I don't really have anything to say and he will get better in his decision making the older he get.

His attacking game is shockingly bad. He takes wrong decision pretty much all the time. I don't think he has a clue what to do, if I am honest. If I was Solskjaer I would say following to Bissaka.
- Listen, Bissaka. Boys are in the box. They are waiting. Stop turning around all the time wich results in passing back the ball and you getting dizzy. Once you get the ball in the last 3rd of the pitch, send it in like a rocket. Don't think, don't even look. Just send it between goal and penalty spot. Shoot it in if you want. Just do something that it isn't turning around and passing it back. Be direct. Trust in yourself and send that peace of leather in. Send. That. Ball. In.
what good is aimlessly cnuting it towards the box going to do anyone?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The general consensus seems to be that he's great defensively, but poor in attack. But does anyone else feel like he's regressed over the last few weeks defensively? I guess in very specific circumstances he's still very strong (one on one), but he often gets caught out positionally. Sometimes it's a simple ball at the back post where he just loses his man; it's like he doesn't check to see who's behind him. There have been quite a few occasions now where the opposition player has ghosted in behind him and he looks completely lost.

Andersons Dietician

He gets in great positions but has no confidence in himself to cross the ball. Surely Ole should demand that he work on them in training?
Have to agree, of our 3 fullbacks, he is the one that seems to be provided the most space and put through in to the best position but he just never seems to want to put it across. When he does he’s normally delayed it and the chance has gone.

I’m not one for saying he should just be lumping crosses in for the sake of lumping crosses in but yesterday for example he gets put through and there is Cavani, Martial and I think Rashford in the box with a perfect channel to put the ball in so they can attack it. For whatever reason he tries to chop it back to Bruno who isn’t really in a position to do anything from there, and worst of all the ball doesn’t even get to Bruno. It’s cut out.

Can’t help but feel if that were Rafael he’d be whipping those balls in First time.

Status
Not open for further replies.