Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Very nervous of his positioning against far post crosses. He’ll need to be absolutely at it against Liverpool if Trent gets some to Mane this weekend.
Sure, but hopefully we'll attack strongly down the left since thats our strength and abuse the fact that Trent doesnt defend. So even if he crosses for 1 goal we score 2 by crossing towards him and him dealing with it far worse

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No fullback is good in the air against Wood and Barnes pulling onto them for crosses. Thats why they do it.

Any that do fare well against them should be playing CB.
While that is true, it doesn't change the fact that he's poor in the air and it's becoming a regular tactic that our opposition use against us. It isn't helped that our central defender on that side (whether Lindelof or Bailly) are fairly average in the air as well, but AWB is the bigger issue.

Ekeke

While that is true, it doesn't change the fact that he's poor in the air and it's becoming a regular tactic that our opposition use against us. It isn't helped that our central defender on that side (whether Lindelof or Bailly) are fairly average in the air as well, but AWB is the bigger issue.
Why is a RB who isnt strong in the air a bigger issue than having CBs struggling in the air?

Most fullbacks in the league arent good in the air and will struggle against a decent ball and an attacker who is good in the air. But most CBs are fairly strong in the air because its usually an expectation of a CB

Red00012

It’s an good attacking RB you need in these type of games . Unfortunately we don’t have one .

Ekeke

It’s an good attacking RB you need in these type of games . Unfortunately we don’t have one .
Oh really. And there I was thinking we won and went top of the league.

I was far more dissappointed with Rashford's delivery being no better than AWB's, until he finally got one right and Pogba's shot was deflected in

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I thought after a very poor opening 20 minutes, he was very good tonight, second half especially. Played lots of quick, pacy, decisive ball forward, got our midfielders on the turn in good positions.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Why is a RB who isnt strong in the air a bigger issue than having CBs struggling in the air?

Most fullbacks in the league arent good in the air and will struggle against a decent ball and an attacker who is good in the air. But most CBs are fairly strong in the air because its usually an expectation of a CB
Lindelof and Bailly are average in the air. AWB is downright poor. That's the difference.

Lindelof is better in the air than a lot of people make out. It's obviously not a strength, but he's decent enough and better than quite a lot of the defenders we were getting linked to a few years ago. Bailly is probably about the same level - worse in terms of technique but he has a better leap.

AWB has poor positioning and is regularly caught out, and even when he is in the right position he's poor at winning the ball. Even if we had a second Maguire on that side of the pitch it would still cause issues as anything that goes over their head would still be coming back in at close range from a dangerous angle when AWB invariably loses that challenge.

Cabin Clown

Thought he was poor at the start but improved as the game went on. His lack of positional awareness still worries me.

RUCK4444

Thought he had a good game, played a good few nice crisp forward passes and was involved a lot in the link up on the right side going forward.

I think he’s improving slowly going forward.

Morpheus 7

He was rusty at the start but grew in to the game. He was linking well with Pogba and I was impressed with him second half, rarely caught out of position. Played it out better from the back.

acnumber9

There was a good article in the Athletic today about his form post lockdown. Really highlighted how little support he gets and how players overload the other side. It goes with what you can see while watching. Martial and Bruno pull over to the left side more so it’s a lot easier for Shaw to actually build attacks. He has options. Wan Bissaka rarely does.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There was a good article in the Athletic today about his form post lockdown. Really highlighted how little support he gets and how players overload the other side. It goes with what you can see while watching. Martial and Bruno pull over to the left side more so it’s a lot easier for Shaw to actually build attacks. He has options. Wan Bissaka rarely does.
I was going to ask for this -

I dont have the athletic,

" wan Bissaka is better than you think" ?

Is this what it says about the players being predominantly being on the left?

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
There's the answer to why James is still playing at times, perhaps.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I was going to ask for this -

I dont have the athletic,

" wan Bissaka is better than you think" ?

Is this what it says about the players being predominantly being on the left?
Pretty much, it also shows how AWB improves when James is on the right as it adds an outlet and stretches play more

Full article: https://theathletic.co.uk/2301266/2021/01/12/united-bissaka-football-soccer/

That United finished 2019-20 with the third-best defence in the league, despite the belief they weren’t a particularly cohesive unit, owes a lot to Wan-Bissaka’s work down the right-hand side of the pitch. But as Southgate would eventually suggest, the defender’s speciality brings up questions of balance throughout the team.

It’s also important to note that at Crystal Palace, Wan-Bissaka often had Andros Townsend playing in front of him. Townsend told The Athletic: “Aaron helped me a lot. He helped my game. The (2018-19) season was my most successful and largely down to him and our understanding together, giving me the ball early or overlapping to take defenders out the way. We clicked and gelled, it wasn’t just a one-way thing.”

Yes, Wan-Bissaka flourished at Palace by being a defence-first right-back operating in a team that had a defence-first mindset, but he also had the protection of an experienced winger playing ahead of him. Although Townsend is left-footed and would look to cut inside and take up central areas, he’d also track back and keep in constant conversation with Wan-Bissaka. At Palace, part of Wan-Bissaka’s success came from Hodgson’s team shape and defensive demands, but also because, in Townsend, he had a winger ahead of him who would chip in with his fair share, in defence and attack.

Before football was suspended in March, Wan-Bissaka often played with Daniel James ahead of him and produced a similar output to that of his Palace days. The right-back was superb in one-v-ones, but also had a degree of attacking and defensive comfort afforded to him thanks to James’ work rate. Wan-Bissaka wasn’t an expansive attacking full-back, but that wasn’t much of an issue, since James took on the bulk of responsibilities for attacking wing play on the right. James was the one putting in crosses and providing an outlet on the right, not Wan-Bissaka.

In swapping James, a winger who tracked back and stayed wide, for Greenwood, a striker who wanted to get into central areas, United were a better side after Project Restart but they sacrificed a little bit of their balance to achieve it. (This is the regularly scheduled point in a piece when you can say, “United should have bought Jadon Sancho in the summer.”)

As the season went on and United went into bigger games, Wan-Bissaka went from a player who got to play to his strengths in defence, while other team-mates helped him on his weaknesses, to one who was slowly left alone. In United’s FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea, he was used as a pressing trigger for the opposition, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s 3-5-2 system asking him to get onto the ball in more advanced areas and leaving him floundering.

Wan-Bissaka’s 2020-21 season is awkward as he making less of the one-v-one duels that make him so important, but he’s not progressing the ball upfield in the way you want or involving himself in attacking moves like he did during phases of last season. Part of this is down to constant changes in personnel both in front of him (Juan Mata has joined James and Greenwood as options on the right wing, with varying results) and also in midfield. Pogba, his biggest helper, has been in and out of the team and, while Fernandes often shuttles over to help the right-back, there’s only so much he can do.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he had a good game, played a good few nice crisp forward passes and was involved a lot in the link up on the right side going forward.

I think he’s improving slowly going forward.
Its because he has an actual player in front of him, not a body who drifts inwards to the center and still leaves him alone. That's the benefit to Rashford on the right. We actually provide a build up on the right wing with him there, Wan Bissaka plays far better all round and far less is asked of him, and just a better team balance overall because we can still provide that threat and build up down the left with Shaw/Martial. That combo opens up space for Bruno as the 10. Its why signing a right winger is still our #1 need, as Rashford isn't naturally a right winger but is decent there at least, and that still helps us loads.

NoPace

Except teams must shade over to the left if we overload it, particularly if Bruno is there. So a better crosser than Wan-Bissaka might have enough time to quickly hit passes and crosses forward when the ball does get switched out there. Or even a chance to run in behind. I think the problem with him being alone is that it restricts him from dribbling or making off the ball runs in behind, both of which he's good at, because he has to sit back and defend the wing. Either he should be playing in triangles looking to make runs in behind while the CM and RW are able to back him up defensively, or we could use a RB who can help our attacking play with his crossing and passing and not his movement, hence the Trippier rumours, though ideally we'd get a younger and better defensive option who can whip a ball in while not leaving his post, so like a Gary Neville or a right-sided Kieran Tierney, but the only one that comes to mind at the moment is Reece James and we aren't getting him. But yeah, someone like that to challenge AWB and play in games like today against teams sitting back without a left-winger who scares us enough that we have to play AWB.

Bebestation

Pretty much, it also shows how AWB improves when James is on the right as it adds an outlet and stretches play more

Full article: https://theathletic.co.uk/2301266/2021/01/12/united-bissaka-football-soccer/

That United finished 2019-20 with the third-best defence in the league, despite the belief they weren’t a particularly cohesive unit, owes a lot to Wan-Bissaka’s work down the right-hand side of the pitch. But as Southgate would eventually suggest, the defender’s speciality brings up questions of balance throughout the team.

It’s also important to note that at Crystal Palace, Wan-Bissaka often had Andros Townsend playing in front of him. Townsend told The Athletic: “Aaron helped me a lot. He helped my game. The (2018-19) season was my most successful and largely down to him and our understanding together, giving me the ball early or overlapping to take defenders out the way. We clicked and gelled, it wasn’t just a one-way thing.”

Yes, Wan-Bissaka flourished at Palace by being a defence-first right-back operating in a team that had a defence-first mindset, but he also had the protection of an experienced winger playing ahead of him. Although Townsend is left-footed and would look to cut inside and take up central areas, he’d also track back and keep in constant conversation with Wan-Bissaka. At Palace, part of Wan-Bissaka’s success came from Hodgson’s team shape and defensive demands, but also because, in Townsend, he had a winger ahead of him who would chip in with his fair share, in defence and attack.

Before football was suspended in March, Wan-Bissaka often played with Daniel James ahead of him and produced a similar output to that of his Palace days. The right-back was superb in one-v-ones, but also had a degree of attacking and defensive comfort afforded to him thanks to James’ work rate. Wan-Bissaka wasn’t an expansive attacking full-back, but that wasn’t much of an issue, since James took on the bulk of responsibilities for attacking wing play on the right. James was the one putting in crosses and providing an outlet on the right, not Wan-Bissaka.

In swapping James, a winger who tracked back and stayed wide, for Greenwood, a striker who wanted to get into central areas, United were a better side after Project Restart but they sacrificed a little bit of their balance to achieve it. (This is the regularly scheduled point in a piece when you can say, “United should have bought Jadon Sancho in the summer.”)

As the season went on and United went into bigger games, Wan-Bissaka went from a player who got to play to his strengths in defence, while other team-mates helped him on his weaknesses, to one who was slowly left alone. In United’s FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea, he was used as a pressing trigger for the opposition, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s 3-5-2 system asking him to get onto the ball in more advanced areas and leaving him floundering.

Wan-Bissaka’s 2020-21 season is awkward as he making less of the one-v-one duels that make him so important, but he’s not progressing the ball upfield in the way you want or involving himself in attacking moves like he did during phases of last season. Part of this is down to constant changes in personnel both in front of him (Juan Mata has joined James and Greenwood as options on the right wing, with varying results) and also in midfield. Pogba, his biggest helper, has been in and out of the team and, while Fernandes often shuttles over to help the right-back, there’s only so much he can do.
Thanks alot mate, you could see that Pogba helped his gameplay quite alot.

I think having a player who dictates play a bit with passing helps wan Bissaka.

Wan Bissaka likes to pass before he runs in to space, pass again before he makes another run in to space and slowly he finds himself in a good attacking position.

When Mctomminay and Fred is there instead of Pogba, maybe that pass backs to him or to other players isnt always there as we saw yesterday Pogba can be from playing deeper. I saw an article how Ole has tried to use Pogba like a deep lying playmaker at times. Compare this to Fred & Mctomminay They keep it rather simple, break up the attack and recycle possession back to an attack to Bruno most of the time.

Last edited:

M Bison

Supports
York City
He’s playing really well at the moment, will have his work cut out against mane but fancy him to come out on top. Our defence is improving each week, as is he.

Sylar

He seems to get wider with Bailly in the team. I mean I dont know if thats entirely true but it seemed the case where hes not tucking in as much.

I wonder if having a second consistent RB signing (similar to telles) would help him emerge as a better player. I think people forget he only just turned 23, so it will be interesting to see where he is at in a year or two time.

Hughes35

I really like him. Think he gets a rough deal on here as everybody wants a Cafu/ Marcelo / Trent kind of fullback.

A good RB for competition would be great but RB really isn't a priority. I still think a proper RW would also make AWB look twice the player.

youngrell

I thought he played well bar his schoolboy heading. Played some good passes into the forwards feet second half to start attacks.
He's massively improved aerially for me. He still has a 50p head, but I'm talking about his aggression and desire to win the ball. Seemed to shy away from it before but I have noticed recently he's been getting far more involved. Hopefully he can continue to improve and add some direction to his headers.

acnumber9

He's massively improved aerially for me. He still has a 50p head, but I'm talking about his aggression and desire to win the ball. Seemed to shy away from it before but I have noticed recently he's been getting far more involved. Hopefully he can continue to improve and add some direction to his headers.
Yeah, he’s definitely trying. Unfortunately it always ends up with just getting whatever touch he can and invariably he’s heading back into a dangerous position. It can improve though.

Rajma

Players naturally move to the side where they feel they have the best chance of combining with someone astute on the ball. In short, players know AWB is shit on the ball so they look to combine with Shaw/Telles who are undoubtedly better in the attacking department. Causality goes both ways.

Bebestation

Players naturally move to the side where they feel they have the best chance of combining with someone astute on the ball. In short, players know AWB is shit on the ball so they look to combine with Shaw/Telles who are undoubtedly better in the attacking department.
Why is Wan Bissaka getting targeted at this?

Greenwood is just as shit this year, hasnt put a single cross or a consistent finish - just cuts in and cuts in providing no support to wan Bissaka.

The left has been developed since Van Gaal era and has a level of depth of near 2 player for each position aswell, it's our strongest position so we are naturally going to use it.

The fact is people say Wan Bissaka is shit but he is the RB of the number 1 club in the PL right now and for all the crosses the little fast attacking RB that can be found in every team below us in the premier league and down to the championship; accoridng to the athletic article wan Bissaka is handling the right wing/lane predominantly by himself and I agree.

Mcking

We really need another RB. Looking at our fixtures for the next three months or so, it is perfect for rotation. I don't see how he is going to be able to play every game at a good level considering that he is not even that good when fresh.

Having Telles alongside Shaw has worked wonders for both and the team as well, and I don't see what would be so difficult about getting another RB in soon.

We have got a mixture of tough cup games and relatively easy league games coming up, which is exactly what you don't want when you don't have too many options. It means you have to play the first choice in the cups, and can't rest him in the easy games either because they are league games.

With tough draws in the FA Cup and the Europa League, and with what looks like a real shot at a challenge in the league, he might have to play every game if we don't get another RB which I think we should be looking to avoid.

romufc

Will be interesting to see how Laird gets on with MK Dons, can he challenge AWB next season?

acnumber9

Players naturally move to the side where they feel they have the best chance of combining with someone astute on the ball. In short, players know AWB is shit on the ball so they look to combine with Shaw/Telles who are undoubtedly better in the attacking department. Causality goes both ways.
It’s got dick all to do with that. They move to the left so they can cut inside on their stronger foot. It’s been the same for years, and it pre dates Wan Bissaka.

croadyman

We really need another RB. Looking at our fixtures for the next three months or so, it is perfect for rotation. I don't see how he is going to be able to play every game at a good level considering that he is not even that good when fresh.

Having Telles alongside Shaw has worked wonders for both and the team as well, and I don't see what would be so difficult about getting another RB in soon.

We have got a mixture of tough cup games and relatively easy league games coming up, which is exactly what you don't want when you don't have too many options. It means you have to play the first choice in the cups, and can't rest him in the easy games either because they are league games.

With tough draws in the FA Cup and the Europa League, and with what looks like a real shot at a challenge in the league, he might have to play every game if we don't get another RB which I think we should be looking to avoid.
Yeah we have already seen with Shaw the benefit of having an attacking LB option on the other side, think there could well have been something in the Trippier links until he ended up getting caught up in this betting stuff. Would expect we now switch our focus to an Aarons for the summer if we are genuinely looking to still sign one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The header at the end was infuriating, otherwise he played well.
He did the same against City for fernandinho's goal too! must make sure he doesn't head it back into the middle of the pitch like that.

he was a lot better though against Burnley, starting to look more confident again. Made a few lovely driving runs, hopefully this is the end of his wobble.

Will need him to be at his best against Mane!

Bebestation

He did the same against City for fernandinho's goal too! must make sure he doesn't head it back into the middle of the pitch like that.

he was a lot better though against Burnley, starting to look more confident again. Made a few lovely driving runs, hopefully this is the end of his wobble.

Will need him to be at his best against Mane!
Let's not forget his fantastic performance against Aston Villa just 2 or 3 matches ago.

People act like this guy is never good for us.

Everyone was hyping that dude Neto from wolves, played against Wan Bissaka and even if it wasnt the most cleanest of matches from him or anyone else or neto - no one seems to be talking about Neto now after Wan Bissaka and our defence kept Neto quiet doing shit all against us.

To me Wan Bissaka is an underrated player in our title challenge that just needs that rotation factor Ole does with the rest of his players and a bit of experience and education with his role.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tackled well. In midfield he won and lost the ball 3 times in the same phase of play :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.