Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

As good as he is on 1 on 1 he has major weaknesses, he's often caught out of position and if you're a team that's trying to build from the back he's a major liability.

I can understand perfectly why he wasnt called, sure he can pocket the best wingers in the world in a good day but the other ones are not exactly liabilities defending (besides TAA who offers a lot in attack) and are a lot more well rounded.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Wan Bissaka may not be good enough for starting RB spot for England - yet if people wouldn't even consider him in the squad then that just shows how linear their football views are.

England vs Brazil - watching TAA get manhandled by neymar whilst Wan Bissaka keeps him cold when playing for Congo when he joins their national team will be stupid to watch.

All this talk about the southampton boss targeting him- I hardly see him being targeted being a problem because he is always covering his own mistakes.

Very much looking forward to his development and I hope he pisses off the fans that want the traditional Aaron's or TAA type footballer that sets up Martial for his chances in the box ( :lol: ) but gets absolutely destroyed by a player like Sterling!

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
I don’t rate Southgate that much but the omission of AWB tells me that he’s on the right path and has the right ideas of how a team with aspiration should play.

He just need to figure out the midfield and stop with the lifeless Henderson/Rice partnership.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
It's not quite that simple though.

For example, I seem to recall one manager we faced (Hassenhutl, maybe?) outright stating that they had targeted AWB with their press as he was uncomfortable on the ball and would give it up.

In other words his ability on the ball doesn't just stop you playing your own style in that scenario, it can become a defensive liability for teams like Spain/Germany to target too. There's more than one way to have a defensive weakness.

Also, it's not like his positioning is always on point either. He's very strong defensively in certain aspects of his game but it's not like playing him shuts down the opposition threat around him entirely as there are still weaknesses for the opposition offence to exploit. At which point I can see why a manager might just decide to stick with their normal attacking fullback and avoid disrupting the team.
I get what you're saying and I think you're right in terms of first choice eleven, but England need to accept they need to win in whatever way it takes sometimes. If you look at major tournaments it's been brain farts by players like Walker and being out classed by attacking teams that have cost them.

AWB has been a key player for us to have a good record against City because he's shut down the left side threat completely. If you liken England vs Spain as United vs City, it makes sense to have a defensive fullback.

Bebestation

I get what you're saying and I think you're right in terms of first choice eleven, but England need to accept they need to win in whatever way it takes sometimes. If you look at major tournaments it's been brain farts by players like Walker and being out classed by attacking teams that have cost them.

AWB has been a key player for us to have a good record against City because he's shut down the left side threat completely. If you liken England vs Spain as United vs City, it makes sense to have a defensive fullback.
Exactly.

Wan Bissaka's one vs one defending is a better defensive ability than so many fullbacks have.

It can shut down a whole flank in the best of his days. I remember teams having to swap sides just because of the way he defends.

Bebestation

He may not have a lot of versatility in his passing but I do see him making quick passes that breaks in to space for the RW to run in to.

Also apart from one mistake his first touch is decent when holding on to balls being crossed from the Left channel.

Fred and AWB had helped with the build up to the goal aswell.

Some people will cartwheel and say he is a championship player and should never start for United - but they completely forget the good performances he has for United (even if Milan performance isnt one in people's book). He helps with his one vs one ability to stop some attacks when he can and like wise he tries to attack when its possible for him.

I dont believe this championship player crap and even if he gets some serious competition that puts him down - I value what he does as a serious utility player in our squad.

Literally every opposition has a inverted LW these days from Mane to Sterling to Neymar - watching Wan Bissaka the young player develop will be a personal thing I find great watching.

I find his jogging back once beaten behind a bit annoying yet I also noticed With him jogging back once he slide tackles and misses it, it reduces his speed in running and recovering the space he has lost. If he is beaten without slide tackling then he runs much better in trying to catch his man. When you consider someone like him who slide tackles with pace, precision and aggression then if he mis-times it's going to be hard to just get back up and run like you were always standing up. Could Shaw make a pacey slide tackle when the opposition are attacking with space - miss it with the opposition running past you in to a free channel just for Shaw to get back up as quick as possible and run back? The slide tackle is a technique that takes your own breath out for a couple of seconds. Its probably why no one tends to defend like Wan Bissaka in world football unless it's really needed and they tend to stay on their feet which enables them to keep up with the pace of the attacker.

Chairman Steve

He must take solace in that the fact he's going to have two weeks off due to not being called up for internationals and OGS determined to play him in every game. Hopefully he'll look better after it.

Devil81

Why won't Ole rest him?

He looked absolutely out on his feet yesterday. Williams has proven he can fill in for the odd match so I see no reason why he plays every game.

Sylar

Had no issue with him playing as it's international break and he won't be going

He wasn't an issue yesterday I thought

Bebestation

I think his first touch looks really good at times. His passing is quite accurate on his right foot -
However he is very very weak with his left foot and it effects his gameplay overall - ie he has to make a pass from his out side of his foot rather than left.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Why won't Ole rest him?

He looked absolutely out on his feet yesterday. Williams has proven he can fill in for the odd match so I see no reason why he plays every game.
This.
When we signed Telles, I assumed that Williams will be backup for AWB but he's barely featured and we've overplayed AWB. It's odd.

K stand Red

I have had time to reflect now and calm down after yesterday, but i am afraid after watching this performance and many others AWB Is not and never will will be a top 4 team full back.

His positional skills and awareness are lacking but due to his long legs and pace he at times is able to get himself out of trouble. If you doubt me ask yourself why is he having to make so many last ditched tackles from the wrong side, wrong foot and many heart in mouth moments as he goes to ground to make such challenges.

My biggest concern re his abilities is his presence on the ball, footballing brain, passing and presence.

He appears to lack confidence in his own abilities when moving forward and many times stops the ball dead and makes a negative pass back and sideways, often poorly (he is not alone) either lack of pace on the ball or allow the receiving player to move onto the ball and kills any chance of a counter attack (remember them!)

When in a forward position his decision making is poor and final ball is poor at best .

From yesterday alone there were two glaring examples, shortly after the second goal he was given a ball on the edge/corner of the box by Greenwood, with time and space, with a clear and obvious crossing channel to be played along the ground towards the back post as a cross/shot. His attempt was to play murder ball with a chest high cross that got blocked and went out for a corner.

A short time after this he was given a ball and played with the opportunity to play a 5 yard ball into Bruno on the edge of the box again with little pressure and resulted in a thigh high pass that no one could do anything with.

I can hear people say he is defender its not his responsibility and so on on, but this is United and if you have any expectations at moving to a higher level there is an expectation that United should be attacking more than defending in most matches so has to have certain qualities if you want to move forward as a team.

I accept that he is is not being helped by the lack of any quality regular forward right sided person and lack of movement from the attacking players but i do not believe he has the personal attributes to be a long term full back for United.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I like his body feints. Opposition players tend to fall for it and he actually got past them at times doing this
I sometimes wonder whether they're actual intentional body feints or he's just trying to not fall over...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I will defend our manager til the cows come home but my word what was we thinking buying this guy? He's absolutely dreadful.

Kag

His positioning on the back post is absolutely horrible. It’s easily more of an issue than the overly exaggerated crying about his attacking game.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Brighton had three chances in the first 20 minutes (including the goal). All three came because of AWB's weakness in the air. There was another early moment where the Brighton player was charging into open space and AWB was just jogging back behind him.

Really poor game, especially in the first half.

kundalini

Wan-Bissaka asleep when a cross comes in from the other side. Happens so often. Far too easy for Welbeck. Also guilty of giving away possession carelessly in our defensive third on one occasion.

Much better 2nd half. Created chance that Greenwood shot well wide and cleared the ball after a dangerous wide free-kick.

Crosses could have been better.

Based Adnan

He's been poor at tracking his man and dealing with crosses ever since he came in. As good as he is defensively it's a massive weakness in his game.

The United

He is a risk in the early mins of any game. Most of the time we conceded early, he was at fault. There were other times when he was sloppy and creating chances for the other team in within first 5-10 mins.

Need better concentration. It is amusing that both of our full backs seems to have similar issue with it.

We need to teach him better positioning. Far from the first time hes been caught like that.

Suedesi

I want to thank Wan Bissaka for the amazing comedic performances as a Man Utd defender. Never fails to disappoint

criticalanalysis

He's been poor at tracking his man and dealing with crosses ever since he came in. As good as he is defensively it's a massive weakness in his game.
The crazy thing is that he actually has good instinct and sees the danger most of the time.

Today and in other games like against Sevilla last year, he gets into positon, gets touch tight and tucks in well whenever Lindelof goes across but he just switches off afterwards.

He's had a good rest over the international break, I don't get why is he still playing so lethargically. That's not to mention his 'free ball' type of passes.

He’s a strange one, got all the right ingredients, but not quite right. A player with so much potential, if he can can improve on certain areas.

he’s still a baby in terms of first team appearances, and I think he’s getting better... but I’m not quite sure. He’s a confusing player.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He excels at 1v1 defending and practically nothing else.

Considering how often he's targeted with the aerial ball you have to question his appetite. It's been two seasons now and his heading and positioning at crosses is still massively suspect. How much is he training to improve those elements of the game?

Were AWB hanging back after training, and works on dealing with balls slung into the air in his zone, surely we'd see evidence?

el3mel

Honestly I'm not fan. I really don't see him improving to be the player I'll like as a main RB. I think after 2 years or so when we have solved other positions, we should revisit the RB position and invest into a new one.

klayton88

There's not a footballer on earth who shits their pants as much as this guy does on the ball. So uncomfortable and it surely projects to those around him.

SemiPro

He was awful today. Other than his defending in 1v1 situations every other aspect of his game is mediocre at best.

I hope he works hard and improves but honestly from what we’ve seen so far from him in a United shirt he doesn’t have the technical ability or footballing IQ to become a top class right back.

hubbuh

There are so many people on this forum that back this guy to the absolute hilt and it's fecking hilarious. I don't know if they are watching purely through their laptop alone and never watch shit actually in person and with other people, but they are loud mouth and are annoying enough that they need to be called out.

@Ekeke and @Bebestation are the fecking jokers that spring to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.