Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Nah, I disagree. Cancelo is the best footballer by far out of the three of them. Walker is no better on the ball than AWB.
For me the difference between the 2 is Walker can play his way out of dangerous situations better than AWB who has a tendency to forget about the ball when he's pressed even though AWB is better at making recuperation tackles which he normally has to do because he gets himself in trouble in the first place.

Maybe it's the system both teams plays but with the support Walker receives I'd be more confident he can play himself out of trouble a lot more than AWB would, although I did notice yesterday that AWB didn't really get himself in trouble because Bailly was playing closer to him than Lindelof normally would so maybe with AWB it's more the tactical setup than individual errors. I'm not writing him off yet. With a new managers most players deserve a clean slate and AWB is one of them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I do think he is quite good at blocks as well, so not exactly just slide tackling.

Bobade

Surprised by the opinions in this thread, I honestly thought he looked decent last night.

tomaldinho1

Surprised by the opinions in this thread, I honestly thought he looked decent last night.
He was. Some simply hate him and want to be ‘right’ about him not being good enough but he was solid. People latch onto that awful left foot back pass as some weird kind of prof he was poor but it’s just a bad error, there were a lot of worse performances than his yesterday.

Bebestation

Can you tell me why? I didn't get to watch the whole match and want to know why some fans on here thought he looked decent and then some fans are crying for his sale after dissapointment.

thebelfastboy

I'm genuinely struggling to think of a United first team player over the last 30yrs who has looked more uncomfortable with the ball at their feet than AWB. Embarrassing.

UpWithRivers

Can you tell me why? I didn't get to watch the whole match and want to know why some fans on here thought he looked decent and then some fans are crying for his sale after dissapointment.
Because some fans looks at the defensive side which he was good and some others are looking for an attacking threat which he is meh.

jesperjaap

A;ways been a big fan since he broke through and I think up until this season he has done ok here. Last year he had improved his play on the ball a bit by givign it earlier but his positional play needed huge improvement. Though with a proper winger in front of im in Sancho, may help him.

This was a pivotal season for him and sadly cant deny he has been dreadful most of the seasoan and actually regressed on the ball an dpositional play been even worse....but he is still definately the best right back we have currently, Dalot certainly isnt the answer as he cant defend and actually isnt much better on the ball either in my opinion.

I though he was actually ok last night, an improvement on recent performances. Hope he can kick on and with good coaches around him improve his positioning over the season. I think he needs proper competition at right back mabe from a more marauding full back that give a different type of option as well as competition.

Personal hope is that we see Ethan Laird come back fully fit and get opportunities competing with him next season. Little I have seen of Laird, I like the look of him, whether he can step up to the premiership is a different story, but he is the marauding option we dont have to spend money on. Give him the chance alongside Bissaka and if it doesnt work out then we spend. Our priorities are in central midfield in purchases for me and I still think Bissaka can be developed into a quality full back personally and that despite the strt to this season he is much better than the opinions often given on here already, but he really does need to improve in 22

Andersons Dietician

Who do you think is the better crosser, AWB or Greenwood?

Greenwood made 5 crosses today. Guess who passed the ball to him for most of them
Yeah where would you rather see Greenwood, out on the wing putting in crosses or getting in and around the box? Also some of those crosses were from the left.
At points he was in the perfect position to put in a cross with Ronaldo and Cavani moving and he refused and turned away from it to either pass it to McT, Matic or even Bailly.

Positions and influence matter in football you know.

Bobade

Everyone always mentions how uncomfortable he looks on the ball. I'm not saying he never does, but a lot of it comes from how uncomfortable he looks in general. He runs weird, he has massive long legs, strange gait when dribbling, and I think that always makes him look a lot more uncomfortable than he is.

Defensively, he was quite solid. Attacking wise, I thought he found himself in good positions near the top right, enabling him to play some decent passing around that side of the box. He progressed the ball fairly well up the pitch. For me, positive signs. He does need to learn when to put in a cross, but I think he was decent at holding the ball up near the corner and playing short passes around that area. He's never gonna be a full back to cut in from the right, and I don't remember seeing any of that kind of play, that we did see from Shaw. For me, decent performance. Obviously, a lot disagree with me.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We scouted 900 right backs and ended up paying 50m pounds sterling for this guy.
It so painful. England are having a purple patch of producing quality attacking RBs and we end up with the one that can't attack.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Everyone always mentions how uncomfortable he looks on the ball. I'm not saying he never does, but a lot of it comes from how uncomfortable he looks in general. He runs weird, he has massive long legs, strange gait when dribbling, and I think that always makes him look a lot more uncomfortable than he is.

Defensively, he was quite solid. Attacking wise, I thought he found himself in good positions near the top right, enabling him to play some decent passing around that side of the box. He progressed the ball fairly well up the pitch. For me, positive signs. He does need to learn when to put in a cross, but I think he was decent at holding the ball up near the corner and playing short passes around that area. He's never gonna be a full back to cut in from the right, and I don't remember seeing any of that kind of play, that we did see from Shaw. For me, decent performance. Obviously, a lot disagree with me.
Thanks. Was his performance normal as Ole's period or did you feel like you saw some coaching/training under Rangnick or competition with Dalot having some effects?

Ekeke

Yeah where would you rather see Greenwood, out on the wing putting in crosses or getting in and around the box? Also some of those crosses were from the left.
At points he was in the perfect position to put in a cross with Ronaldo and Cavani moving and he refused and turned away from it to either pass it to McT, Matic or even Bailly.

Positions and influence matter in football you know.
Greenwood doesnt get the ball on the wing, AWB takes that position and passes it back to Greenwood just outside the box where he can take a single touch and come inside to shoot or cross

Thats the entire point of his outside runs down the wing, so Greenwood can do that. He's not doing it expecting to be played in every time, he never does get played in. Its all 100% for Greenwood's benefit and if he doesnt make something of it thats on him

Greenwood's average position is more central than Sancho's. Its AWB who takes up the wing position and Greenwood takes an inside position where he can work a shot or cross

These are the positions Greenwood crossed the ball from. The only time it was from on the wing was when he was taking corners.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The funny thing is I don't think he was bad yesterday. He was okay. The trouble is he's such a limited player that you don't really expect more than that. When compared to what our rivals' RBs offer, you realise it might actually be a problem.

Bobade

Thanks. Was his performance normal as Ole's period or did you feel like you saw some coaching/training under Rangnick or competition with Dalot having some effects?
Hard to say tbh, wouldn't say much improvement, but I did think he looked up for it, as you'd expect given the competition.

Glorio

Because some fans looks at the defensive side which he was good and some others are looking for an attacking threat which he is meh.
I actually thought he was good on the ball via two very wild moments. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I wish there was one of those vids that have highlights of all a player's actions.

Regarding the defensive side of the game, he made some very key defensive blocks, and after the horror of watching Saint Maximin and Joelingtion waltz through the right hand side of our defence at will against Newcastle, AWB locking down that part of the field was a welcome comfort.

UncleBob

It’s hardly that simple.

AWB’s positioning, awareness and general understanding of the game isn’t good enough, factor in his passing and how he seems naturally uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and it’s easy to understand why people don’t have the highest hopes of him evolving into a good enough player.

People confuse his one on one ability with being good at defending, but it’s just a small part of it and it doesn’t make up for the rest of his shortcomings. How many times hasn’t he let runners in behind him because he suddenly decides to push forward, how many times hasn’t he ended up in the middle of nowhere inside our box while the player he was supposed to watch scores an easy tap in. Bissaka is fine for a team that for the vast majority of the time will stay compact, as he can just focus on the 1 vs 1’s, but for a team wanting to be progressive and attack he’s an overall liability. Yes, at times he’ll make an excellent last ditch sliding tackle, or a block, but how many times isn’t that a result of him fecking up his positioning.

Give him the ball at his feet in a bit of a tight position and he’ll play us into more trouble, as he seems completely unable to understand where the ball should be played and what areas he should avoid at all cost. Like when he keeps ignoring the obvious option to play a bouncy pass in central to a striker who has his back towards goal and an opposition player crawling up his rear end. It’s about taking responsibility and understanding that if you play the ball into this area, the opposition will most likely win it back in 99% of the time and counter, so don’t.

His shortcomings in attack is also a concern, the amount of times he hesitates when there’s space for him to run into is bizarre. At least you want him to constantly make himself available and go on runs, like he at times did yesterday, to force the opposition into either making him an excellent passing option or having to cover his space and open up another position for us. Maybe Ralf will vastly improve this side of Bissaka, to the point where his shortcomings will be much less of an issue for us, which would be more than ideal given the money we’ve spent on Bissaka and the other areas of the team we have to invest in

GlasgowCeltic

He's so funny to watch, the absolute desperation and wild contortions he does to avoid his weaker foot, all the while his stronger foot is also dreadful.

ForeverRed1

He’s really hard to get around/past for forwards. Great with blocks, slice tackles.. if he was good going forward he would be a beast. No reason he can’t work on it and improve, he’s still young enough.

Bebestation

He’s really hard to get around/past for forwards. Great with blocks, slice tackles.. if he was good going forward he would be a beast. No reason he can’t work on it and improve, he’s still young enough.
I'm quite a fan of Wan Bissaka - I feel like he gives us a good different option at RB compared to what other teams have; even though we definitely need the more gungho attacking version in our squad. For example I'd like Lamptey and Wan Bissaka as two different options at RB just as an example.

However, with regards to your post about Wan Bissaka and him hopefully one day improving his technique - have you seen anyone who did exactly that? Improve their technique?

It seems like something I've hardly seen to be honest.

ForeverRed1

I'm quite a fan of Wan Bissaka - I feel like he gives us a good different option at RB compared to what other teams have; even though we definitely need the more gungho attacking version in our squad. For example I'd like Lamptey and Wan Bissaka as two different options at RB just as an example.

However, with regards to your post about Wan Bissaka and him hopefully one day improving his technique - have you seen anyone who did exactly that? Improve their technique?

yeah I like him, just as a defender and he would of been brilliant back in the day but the modern game and fullback is different. Liverpool set a standard in that regard.

im sure there are players that have improved going forward in the past, no reason he can’t. Maybe it’s wishful thinking :nervous:. I feel there is more for him to give. He has something to offer. Maybe he is better against the teams that will get in our half more and against teams that low block us, we need a more attacking fullback. That could work.I wouldn’t mind trippier actually as a stop gap.

Ekeke

Yes, almost every player. What do you think happens when you train the same thing over and over?

Lamptey is like Dalot, you can bring him on in attack like we did last night

el3mel

I'm genuinely struggling to think of a United first team player over the last 30yrs who has looked more uncomfortable with the ball at their feet than AWB. Embarrassing.
It wasn't long time ago when Smalling was our main defender.

SAF is the GOAT

AWB was the player that angered and frustrated me the most yesterday.
This kid looks so uncomfortable with the ball, his ball control is poor, when he runs forward and attack no opposition is worried about him.
When both Mason and Jadon were on his side with the ball - He never over lap them and run to the box to get the ball from them and cross it, Its always the same half ass "run" of like "look at me, I'm doing an over lapping"(even though no opposition player will ever believe that I'll do something) and then he suddenly stops in the middle of the run or another thing that he's doing is while the winger holding the ball he just stands near by him with a look of "What Am I gonna do ?".

Abraxas

I thought he was alright.

I think Dalot and him is quite a close run thing at the moment. They are different, so maybe we can adapt it according to the opposition. I certainly don't see that there's loads between them.

Maybe it depends who is on the right and how they work back. Dalot is pretty poor 1 v 1 so it doesn't inspire confidence with a lazy player in front of him and a tricky wide forward. AWB should be much better. But Dalot is far better with some of his clever passing and handling the ball.

Andersons Dietician

Greenwood doesnt get the ball on the wing, AWB takes that position and passes it back to Greenwood just outside the box where he can take a single touch and come inside to shoot or cross

Thats the entire point of his outside runs down the wing, so Greenwood can do that. He's not doing it expecting to be played in every time, he never does get played in. Its all 100% for Greenwood's benefit and if he doesnt make something of it thats on him

Greenwood's average position is more central than Sancho's. Its AWB who takes up the wing position and Greenwood takes an inside position where he can work a shot or cross

These are the positions Greenwood crossed the ball from. The only time it was from on the wing was when he was taking corners.
So you’ve basically just destroyed you own argument. Well done :lol: My first point was in aversion to crossing when he gets in some fantastic positions. Not even really a dig just that I wish he’d have more confidence in his ability to deliver a cross.

You‘ve then gone hyper defensive with your agenda shining through and better yet destroyed you original response by yourself. Fantastic.

Last edited:

Seij

He is 24. Chances are that his ability on the ball is not going to get much better at this point.

We'll probably end up selling him to a midtable club for less than half of what we paid for him in a year or two. He will likely do well there as his tackling and 1:1 ability will be highlighted more.

Ekeke

So you’ve basically just destroyed you own argument. Well done :lol: My first point was in aversion to crossing when he gets in some fantastic positions. Not even really a dig just that I wish he’d have more confidence in his ability to deliver a cross.

You‘ve then gone hyper defensive with your agenda shining through and better yet destroyed you original response by yourself. Fantastic.
Yeah you've missed the point entirely. Crossing is Greenwood's 2nd best skill after his finishing. He's given the ball in a dangerous area with extra space because of what AWB does with his runs forward. From that position he has the option of passing, crossing or coming inside to shoot. This is one of the main reasons he plays on the right in the first place. Thats what he wants and what we should want

We shouldnt want someone worse at crossing crossing the ball instead of him. And if he was there would be plenty of complaints about his crossing as there has been in the past about his crossing. Dalot put in some good ones when he was playing more regularly a few years ago and people were mad at his crossing. I remember posts complaining about Rafael's final ball too. Valencia's with good reason...

There are better crossers from RB than AWB, but our defence also needs help from his defending which is better than any of the other players I mentioned or playing for our rivals at RB. He still has some areas he could do better with in that area and considering our defensive record is so poor I think if he became really good at tracking runners when they pass the ball and make a move after he confronts them and being strong in the air thats what would help our results more than him trying to go alone and cross more often.

Andersons Dietician

Yeah you've missed the point entirely. Crossing is Greenwood's 2nd best skill after his finishing. He's given the ball in a dangerous area with extra space because of what AWB does with his runs forward. From that position he has the option of passing, crossing or coming inside to shoot. This is one of the main reasons he plays on the right in the first place. Thats what he wants and what we should want

We shouldnt want someone worse at crossing crossing the ball instead of him. And if he was there would be plenty of complaints about his crossing as there has been in the past about his crossing. Dalot put in some good ones when he was playing more regularly a few years ago and people were mad at his crossing. I remember posts complaining about Rafael's final ball too. Valencia's with good reason...

There are better crossers from RB than AWB, but our defence also needs help from his defending which is better than any of the other players I mentioned or playing for our rivals at RB. He still has some areas he could do better with in that area and considering our defensive record is so poor I think if he became really good at tracking runners when they pass the ball and make a move after he confronts them and being strong in the air thats what would help our results more than him trying to go alone and cross more often.
No it’s you that has created a mystery scenario. There are times when he is out on the wing himself with no Greenwood insight and all he needs to do is put in a cross or cut the ball back across the box but he simply just won’t do it. We’ve seen how dangerous Dalot has been doing just that.
Again in my first post I said I’m not one for just spamming crosses in and I’ve no problem with him waiting and passing a ball inside to a runner if that is on but he needs to mix it up.

If he does we then become a better team just by being less predictable. He needs to be able to defend and provide a threat when he gets himself in to good positions which he does. He just seems to lack confidence in his own ability to put a cross in and I’ve seen him put in fantastic crosses he just doesn’t attempt them enough.

As for his defending yes 1 on 1 he’s brilliant. The rest of it could use some work. I’m not one of these people that is demanding a replacement as honestly I think he’s got something and like we saw with Shaw people can improve so I’m not ready to write him off. Just feel like he needs someone to guide him and put a bit more confidence in to him to trust in his abilities.

goptun

Crossing is Greenwood's second-best skill after finishing?! I always thought he was a fairly average crosser of the ball, to be honest. Someone posted our chance creation from corners and Telles was the most effective, creating a chance from 40% of his corners, Shaw was 25/30%, Bruno was around 15% and Greenwood was something like 5-10%. Basically, Greenwood taking a corner is a waste of time. Taking a corner is obviously only one aspect of crossing, but it says a lot.

I would have said his dribbling and short passing is a much better skill of his than crossing.

SAF is the GOAT

Is there anyone in here that has video and media privileges ?

I want to post a video of him that I don't understand why he doesn't like that anymore.

If yes - I'll send it in a private message

From @SAF is the GOAT - Want to know where is this AWB has gone?

My point of view: he was definitely showing improvement before this season but he's regressed. His touch to get away from pressure is really good. To be fair not one player has looked better this season, they've all got worse apart from DDG. Very strange.

Marwood

He is 24. Chances are that his ability on the ball is not going to get much better at this point.

We'll probably end up selling him to a midtable club for less than half of what we paid for him in a year or two. He will likely do well there as his tackling and 1:1 ability will be highlighted more.
His decision making can improve though and that's about 80% of his problem.

Obviously his right foot isn't the most cultured and he's no left foot. Agree that won't change.

But if he sorts out when to cross, when to cut it back, when to hold the ball or go for it, you can mitigate those shortfalls.

Confidence or maybe even arrogance, he needs a massive dollop of it.

Bebestation

Hope he has a good game. His blocking ability is also something underrated a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.