Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He was terrible again today, he just got more opportunities to tackle people so it looked like he contributed more. But the amount of horrendous passes and touches is just absurd for a player playing at one of the biggest clubs in the world. He plays like someone who played a different contact sport and was told he's now a footballer about a year ago.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Weird post in return, the cross goal is widely, and correctly accepted as a complete fluke which no one could do anything about and there are about 5 people including the Ref who are responsible for the second ahead of AWB.

I don't like AWB but today ain't the day for reaching to blame him for either goal.
You are trying to blame him for the miss hit cross?!
I wouldn't say that it was his mistakes that led to either of those goals but I do have issues with his positioning for the first one (and, more importantly, with the fact that he never bothered to get back, which is a pattern, in case Leeds attack would slow down and he'll get a chance to get the ball back). Same for the second one — it wasn't his fault but he could've done better. It's a weird game to praise him for his defensive performance.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was awful, James turned him so many times. No real pace, poor on the ball, his tackling is gone and no poor positioning overall We should move him on in the summer and recoup some of the money.

TheReligion

Abusive
I wouldn't say that it was his mistakes that led to either of those goals but I do have issues with his positioning for the first one (and, more importantly, with the fact that he never bothered to get back, which is a pattern, in case Leeds attack would slow down and he'll get a chance to get the ball back). Same for the second one — it wasn't his fault but he could've done better. It's a weird game to praise him for his defensive performance.
I think what you said or suggested was a bit disingenuous in that case. As if he was poor at the back and that’s why we conceded two goals.

Jackal981

Thought he was terrible. Not only did he give the ball away stupidly at times and make it hard to build anything down the right, but he was also average defensively. There was one moment at 2-2 where Leeds got in behind us down his side and AWB just did his usual jog back while Bruno literally sprinted past him to try to put pressure on the ball carrier.
Saw this and really make me scream at the telly. He had a few nice tackles today but other than that he's shite. Shit touches and dribbling plus crap positioning as usual. Offered 0 to the offense. Better than his last outings though not like you can be worse than those

Oranges038

He really is awful. Worst full back I've ever seen play for Utd and I include Buttner in that.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think what you said or suggested was a bit disingenuous in that case. As if he was poor at the back and that’s why we conceded two goals.
I do think that he could’ve acted better in both goals and the first one especially highlighted his lack of spatial awareness and poor attitude towards tracking back when he doesn’t see an immediate opportunity to tackle. It’s a systemic issue that stops him from becoming a great defender even though his amazing tackling is more noticeable to the viewer. Hence why the notion of having him in the squad because he’s a brilliant defensive option is a weird one.

While he hasn’t made any errors leading to goal it was not a good defensive performance.

You could tell he was trying hard but he didn't do much going forward and James had plenty of joy on that side, plus both goals came from his flank. Dalot should be back in the team next game.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We spent £50m on Wan-Bissaka after reportedly looking at over 800 right backs. That's an argument for tearing up the so-called structure and starting over.

I don't blame him particularly for their goals. The way Rangnick plays the fullbacks have to get forward when we're attacking. The moves broke down and he was caught out of possession. For me, the problem was more what happened when he had the ball. He's another one who needs three or four touches just to get the ball out of his feet. By that time the chance to transition has already vanished and he's got men closing him down.

Would be happy to see Lindelof play at right back, with Varane in the middle, if Ralf thinks we need a more defensive option than Dalot in some games.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's gone from "He wins that ball so much :(" to this.

How did anyone sign him off at £50m. Palace with an absolute robbery.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
One of our worst post Fergie signings. What makes it amazing is that his flaws were known to the whole world before we spent 50m quid on him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Does he not have the energy to sprint back helping out the defence? The way he just casually jogs back when we are countered is very infuriating to see.
He doesn't have the engine. It's why I think he's so slow in making attacking runs off the ball. He is worried he will have to make a covering run.

RedStarUnited

Theres a moment around the 21st minute Leeds have a chance and I swear he does nothing and just watches. @GifLord maybe you can pull it up?

Juansar_07

The game was conducive to showcase his accomplished tackling ability and he made some pretty neat onces tonight.

Rest of his game was typical to what we all are mindful of, offensively suspect and just about alright defensively with an odd mistake leading to a goal scoring opportunity.

Reckon Dalot will be back against Atletico.

United in sin

Rubbish player. All he’s got is a tackle. Doesn’t even track back with any urgency. Dalot is twice the player.
AWB has contributed more than Dalot ever has for united. Dalot is just getting his first real run in the RB spot after being binned by more than one manager. I like Dalot mind, but hes yet to play at the top level AWB has in red.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I groaned about his forward play and misplaced passes more than I nodded for his insane tackling today.

Sums him up really.

Glad to see Dalot back in the starting line up next game.

CloneMC16

He is really good at tackling. He has to be the best in the world? He practically always wins the ball whenever he goes for a slide tackle. I thought he was alright. I would still bring Dalot back, but calling that performance awful is pretty harsh.

Doracle

Thought he looked a lot better than Dalot personally. However, good that they can compete with each other and hopefully will push each other on. I’d still have liked to see us get Trippier though for £12 million, as he’s a lot better than either.

Classical Mechanic

Thought he looked a lot better than Dalot personally. However, good that they can compete with each other and hopefully will push each other on. I’d still have liked to see us get Trippier though for £12 million, as he’s a lot better than either.
Agree. Dalot is terrible. I think AWB will start against Atletico.

jesperjaap

AWB has contributed more than Dalot ever has for united. Dalot is just getting his first real run in the RB spot after being binned by more than one manager. I like Dalot mind, but hes yet to play at the top level AWB has in red.
Totally agree. I think AWB has been poor so far this season in what was a pivotal one for him. I have been a fan and thought he would be a great signing, of course my opinion is changing on that......but I thought he did decently last season an dlooke dlike he could progress.

What baffles me, is no matter what the opinions are of AWB......what has Dalot done to warrant all this praise, he has not played to the level of Brandon WIlliams when he was in form for us, let alone Bissaka. He cant cross, he cant tackle, his forward passing is poor. He is not better, if not worse than the former two who have been absolutely slated in those areas. His positioning is slightly better but not great....the only thing I see better from him significantly is his ability to carry the ball

Sylar

We need better than him and that's astonishing since we spent 50m
He's shown signs of being good in previous seasons but the best attribute is tackling

The way he jogs back or is out of position is alarming

Red_toad

He was awful, James turned him so many times. No real pace, poor on the ball, his tackling is gone and no poor positioning overall We should move him on in the summer and recoup some of the money.
Wait what? Made numerous excellent ball winning tackles. No idea where you came up with that gem.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He has talent, it’s just a shame he’s colour blind when it comes to passing.

Red_toad

Thats it!

What kind of defender just walks and does nothing?
If you wish to take issue with it, why not say the same of Lindelof who’s walking alongside him. People just nit picking the shite out of certain players on every thread. Thoroughly enjoyed the game, lots of room for improvement, good to see Ralf mixing it up a bit with regard to selections.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Shocking how often he pisses the ball away on very basic passes. It felt like he played for Leeds at times.
Totally agree. I think AWB has been poor so far this season in what was a pivotal one for him. I have been a fan and thought he would be a great signing, of course my opinion is changing on that......but I thought he did decently last season an dlooke dlike he could progress.

What baffles me, is no matter what the opinions are of AWB......what has Dalot done to warrant all this praise, he has not played to the level of Brandon WIlliams when he was in form for us, let alone Bissaka. He cant cross, he cant tackle, his forward passing is poor. He is not better, if not worse than the former two who have been absolutely slated in those areas. His positioning is slightly better but not great....the only thing I see better from him significantly is his ability to carry the ball
Dalot doesn't lose the ball on very basic passes all the time. Like you say, his defensive positioning is slightly better. He's not a cone during the buildup. That's 2 areas in which he's better than the slide tackle merchant. Dalot's not a great player but I'd rather have him as our 2nd RB than this fraud.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I don't particularly rate Dalot but he's better at carrying the ball forward, much more progressive in his passing, better in the air and less of an obvious target for opposition pressing. Given the way we play, that's important stuff.

But generally it's a weak area in the team if these are the two candidates.

United in sin

Great post. It seems anyone is better than AWB when it comes to his detractors. I even read some posts last season suggesting Daniel James play RB over him. Dalot is a breath of fresh air to them but he really hasn't done anything of note but out in performances I'd describe as par for the course.

AWB has out in some genuinely monstrous performances against some of the best players this league has to offer but ends up being harshly binned when he goes through a bad patch. Dalot deserves his run but it still baffles me how differently certain players are treated.

Bissaka has kept the likes of Sterling and Salah quiet for instance. Atletico will be his first big test, the have speedy guys like Thomas Lemar and Correa who can do some damage. We also have City, Spurs and Liverpool and Liecester back to back in the league coming up in March. Big tests for Dalot. In my opinion he'll be exposed but I hope he rises to the occasion for our sakes. If he can do that he'll have really earned his starting berth in my opinion.

Last edited:

SAF is the GOAT

He offers nothing attacking wise and if till now he provided a defensive aspect, now he doesn't even give that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I thought he did well today. Some strange takes as usual from people who only seem to enjoy criticising our players and moaning
Yep. They're ignoring that he won absolutely sh!Tloads of tackles, and specifically concentrating on the negatives.

A game where the pitch, especially 2nd half was like a bog isn't the game to moan about his passing.

BlueHaze

We have two RB who offers absolutely nothing attacking wise. AWB is decent defensively but his handling with the ball is atrocious and going forward he's pretty much entirely useless and that goes for Dalot as well with his absolutely atrocious crossing. I'd honestly make Laird our #1 choice next season.

Bwuk

I’ve seen enough to know I don’t want to see him play for us again.

Dalot at RB until the end of the season. Lindelof can deputise there if required.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
This was a game tailor made for Wan Bissaka with the soggy pitch and abundance of scrappy challenges and turnovers. I thought he was pretty good but perhaps ever so slightly rusty which I think is understandable. Keep working hard Aaron!

Status
Not open for further replies.