Player Agent: Unique Sports Management
Squad Number: #29
Contract until: Jun 30, 2024
Contract option: Club Option 1 year
Outfitter: Adidas

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One of those players I’m not sold on. Hopefully he’ll have a good season. Felt he regressed a bit last season. His positioning at the back post gets exploited way too regularly. He, Ole & the coaches need to fix that.

romufc

Really needs to improve all aspects of his game this season.

He is only really good at slide tacking imo.

Need to see improvement in defensive positioning, passing, composure this year.

Glorio

One of those players I’m not sold on. Hopefully he’ll have a good season. Felt he regressed a bit last season. His positioning at the back post gets exploited way too regularly. He, Ole & the coaches need to fix that.
Weirdly enough I felt he improved a lot going forward. Even the idea that he gave the ball away when pressed started to go quiet when he displayed great skill on a few occasions to get away from players. In fact, he even started spreading cross field passes to switch the play (not consistently obviously).

The positioning at the back post was a constant issue though, and I do hope it gets addressed as it started getting exploited. Doesn't seem like something that should be too difficult for one as young as him to grasp and add to his game, but then again what do I know?

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

I expect a decent improvement this season playing with Sancho ahead of him on the right.

Finally he doesn't need to be isolated.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Great player keep progressing there's loads of potential with this guy.

OL29

Just read it. Fantastic story.

Made me like the guy even more!
Same here, he doesn't do a lot of press so it's interesting to see how he ended up where he did. Just goes to show the fine lines between failure and success at the top level of football, if he hadn't been tried out as a fullback in training it's likely we'd never have heard of him!

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I do enjoy reading these articles. They really offer an insight into the world of football we never really see- the journey that gets them there.

RashyGiggsy

I find Wan Bissaka a difficult player to evaluate. MEN raves about his defensive ability, and he is particularly good at one-on-one defending. However, as someone said above, his defensive positioning can be very poor at times. United's weakness on set pieces can be partly contributed to his weakness in the air. While he did show some improvement going forward, and he showed that he might have the talent to be good on the ball, he still seemed to panic and to give the ball away far too often. He did get forward more frequently and with more effectiveness this past year, but again it was inconsistent. And, if he lost the ball in the attacking half, he did not make the type of effort that I would expect from a defender to get back and defend. You often saw him casually jogging behind the play as the counterattack was moving rapidly towards United's goal. At least a couple of goals could be partially credited to that lack of effort.

He looks the part! He is tall, lean, strong, quick, and he has good pace. We've seen him put in some good crosses, score a good goal, dribble around people, and so forth. It is the terrible inconsistency (except in one-on-one defending) that makes one hope that Dalot or Trippier or someone else might step up or step in.

Reactions: Sultan

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's a funny player. I think his positioning needs to be worked on just as much as his attacking game. He's often been caught on the offside trap or losing his marker from a deep cross. Another thing I would like to see him work on is his crossing. Look at Shaw and the variation of crosses he delivers, the shape of the crosses, back post, front post, early cross, sometimes, from just beyond the half way line, low crossses. That's the level AWB needs to reach.
Good thing is he has time on his side.

jesperjaap

I disagree. Dont think he regressed at all, improvements going forward both in terms of positioning, decision making and delivery. I am interested to see how that improves again with a proper right sided player to link up with ahead of him in Sancho. Not an excuse for him, but it wasnt just the opposition isolating him forward, Greenwood was often moving inside.

I do agree though with the last part regading his positioning, especially on crosses into the box, that needs a lot of work, butt you could level that at most of our centre backs individually and as a unit

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I have enjoyed watching him and seeing how he has developed. He has a lot more to go.

The one thing I really enjoyed about Shaw's development was how he went from a guy who hardly made a cross to someone like a fullback version of Beckham after practicing taking corners and free kicks.

I hope that Wan Bissaka gets the chance to do this in pre-season; I don't see why he couldn't become our dead ball taker and watch him develop that part of his game bit by bit like shaw did.

It will help him add some finesse to his crossing and versatility at how he does it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He is slowly improving his attacking play. Hope it continues because he’s such a beast 1 on 1. Needs to get better at positioning still but I’m sure he will get there

Gandalf

Seemed to still be on holiday for most of the first 45 yesterday, Galbraith is not a RB by trade and was an improvement when he came on. I really like Aaron and it is just the first pre season game but he really needs some credible competition to get him hustling.

CM10

I have enjoyed watching him and seeing how he has developed. He has a lot more to go.

The one thing I really enjoyed about Shaw's development was how he went from a guy who hardly made a cross to someone like a fullback version of Beckham after practicing taking corners and free kicks.

I hope that Wan Bissaka gets the chance to do this in pre-season; I don't see why he couldn't become our dead ball taker and watch him develop that part of his game bit by bit like shaw did.

It will help him add some finesse to his crossing and versatility at how he does it.
That has never really been in Wan-Bissaka's game though. Shaw was always quite an adventurous full-back who had that in him even in his Southampton days. The injuries and playing under Mourinho set him back in developing the attacking side of his game but Shaw has had that opportunity under Solskjaer.

Wan-Bissaka can still improve his attacking game but it won't be to that extent. He's always been a defender who likes to defend and thrives in one v ones while his technical game is comparatively limited. Shaw has always had a very sharp touch and is comfortable carrying the ball forward, which again, Wan-Bissaka hasn't and isn't.

His main focus should be improving at the back post. He was very nearly caught out by it again in the Derby game, and was fortunate Lawrence messed up the header.

acnumber9

Seemed to still be on holiday for most of the first 45 yesterday, Galbraith is not a RB by trade and was an improvement when he came on. I really like Aaron and it is just the first pre season game but he really needs some credible competition to get him hustling.
He wasn’t really though. Was it not Galbraith who gave the ball away for their goal?

Ace of Spades

Looked well off the pace, and looked nervy and his positioning was all over the place. Also, still has those moments where he goes to sleep at the back post and has little awareness around him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
For a player who has a reputation for "loves to defend", he doesn't half lose his man off the ball.
Will say it for the umpteenth time. Apart from tackling, the rest of his defensive game needs a lot of work.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Worryingly off it in the last two preseason games.

twitter thread suggester
He is so lackluster in everything he does. No urgency or aggression. He looks like someone who only puts in 50% effort, constantly jogging; both in attack and defense.

Strats

Makes it look like he doesn't want to be a footballer at times

After his debut season I hated his jogging and general defensive awareness (especially floating inside when the ball is on the opposite flank)...but I actually thought he improved throughout last season and made steps in both aspects. Both problems were still there, but to a lesser degree.

First two preseason matches he's been back to his walking worst. Strolled through both games, barely breaking a sweat. Multiple times today Pellestri sprinted past a walking Bissaka to get back on QPR counters.

He just seems like a player who does the minimum required. "Preseason? Not a big deal, no point in busting a gut". Hopefully he'll pick it up again when the season starts...even better if we get some actual competition at RB to make him fight for his place.

Lassitude42

I think the return of fans will help build his confidence this season. The roar of the crowd as he nails his sliding tackles definitely helps him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Never been a fan. Willing to give him one more season to prove me wrong.

romufc

He's going to be the weakest link in our team this season, we concede way too many goals with him going to sleep on the back post.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

MadMike

For a player who has a reputation for "loves to defend", he doesn't half lose his man off the ball.
Will say it for the umpteenth time. Apart from tackling, the rest of his defensive game needs a lot of work.
His positional awareness is shocking for a fullback who's supposed to be a very good defender. And he can't defend a high ball to save his life.

On top of that, his first touch and ball control are so poor that oppo teams target him. We can't be having that, a weak link in defence when we try to play out the back that teams look to exploit.

Kostov

You know someone does not have a clue about football and defending when criticizes AWB about his defending and thinks Trippier would be an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.