Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

passing-wind

We could have salvaged something were it not for Lingard, but Aaron is the main culprit for last night. And easy game turned nightmare because of him.

It happens and it's not the end of the World, but he has been very poor this season with his passing and lack of support in front. Last night was the culmination of this terrible form.

The coaches have nothing to do with a crazy red card and a crazy back pass ffs.
That's absolute nonsense, the fact that Manchester United had such a close game with none other than Young Boys is simply down to the manager. Did the manager lay for the foundation for the team to win convincingly last night ? When you compare the quality between the two teams, United should have bettered the opposition even being a fullback short.

Solskjaer takes full principle responsibility for the defeat last night. Useless ability to manage the game effectively, awful tactical instructions and bad substitutions. Most professional pundits aside the former United brigade have called the manager out. If that was the likes of a Liverpool, City or Chelsea I think we would be talking about a completely different situation.

Solskjaer has a 63% loss rate when it comes to anything outside of England. He's drowning in mediocrity in European competition, a red card doesn't detract anything from this.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Few exaggerations, don't you think.
Well I don’t really believe he actually lacks a brain, but he is often caught out of position as the opposition score. He also offers nothing going forward, so I stand by those.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't know how some of you lot dealt with Evra and Vidic stinking the place out for 6 months each.

He's still very young and he'll make mistakes. He might not be the long term option there in an attacking sense but he's got more than enough in him (and room to improve) that he could be around the squad for years.

Dinghy

People still think professional footballers will just drastically improve their technical abilities when in their mid-twenties? Best we could hope for is small improvements as he's been here for two years and he's still garbage when it comes to passing and game intelligence.

Crimson King

I don't know how some of you lot dealt with Evra and Vidic stinking the place out for 6 months each.

He's still very young and he'll make mistakes. He might not be the long term option there in an attacking sense but he's got more than enough in him (and room to improve) that he could be around the squad for years.
Do you mean when they first joined in January? Didn't they only play like one or two games in that period?

Then, they started the next season and never really looked back.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Do you mean when they first joined in January? Didn't they only play like one or two games in that period?

Then, they started the next season and never really looked back.
Evra made 14 apps and Vidic made 15.

It was more a point about having patience though. They were awful for that 6 month period. AWB has been consistently solid and has made a few mistakes but he's still only 23.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
People still think professional footballers will just drastically improve their technical abilities when in their mid-twenties? Best we could hope for is small improvements as he's been here for two years and he's still garbage when it comes to passing and game intelligence.
Yeah, good luck with improving his technique. That's so rare. He can however improve his overall defending, which is what I'm hoping for. If he does so, we'd have the option of tucking him in and Shaw bombing forward more, while our RW provides width.

Craig Ward

That's absolute nonsense, the fact that Manchester United had such a close game with none other than Young Boys is simply down to the manager.

Did the manager lay for the foundation for the team to win convincingly last night ? When you compare the quality between the two teams, United should have bettered the opposition even being a fullback short.

Solskjaer takes full principle responsibility for the defeat last night. Useless ability to manage the game effectively, awful tactical instructions and bad substitutions. Most professional pundits aside the former United brigade have called the manager out. If that was the likes of a Liverpool, City or Chelsea I think we would be talking about a completely different situation.

Solskjaer has a 63% loss rate when it comes to anything outside of England. He's drowning in mediocrity in European competition, a red card doesn't detract anything from this.
Solskjaer takes full principle responsibility for the defeat last night. Yes
When you compare the quality between the two teams, United should have bettered the opposition even being a fullback short. Agree
Solskjaer takes full principle responsibility for the defeat last night: Absolutely not.

Ole is not responsible for AWB's error. Yes, you could argue it happens etc but the fact AWB made that decision to make the tackle was his own, not Ole's. We took Sancho off quickly after the red and simply went on to self destruct mode. The players on the pitch did not control the game, the quality we had on the pitch yet we allowed Young Boys to dominate. Your telling me it's on Ole that Pogba, Fernandes, Maguire and co couldnt handle the young Boys pressure? We just gave in. Jesse gifted them a goal of course and that just sums his utd career up for me. Lacking in quality.

AWB is a tackling full back, he doesnt know another way. That cost us dearly ultimately.

Ole picked a strong team and without the red i'm sure the outcome would have been an easy win. It's not on Ole at all

Crimson King

Evra made 14 apps and Vidic made 15.

It was more a point about having patience though. They were awful for that 6 month period. AWB has been consistently solid and has made a few mistakes but he's still only 23.
I honestly didn't realise they'd played that often, felt like they disappeared after that City game.

I understand your point though. That summer they were written off by the media and the general idea seemed to be they'd flopped and should be jettisoned. Both then became bonafide club legends.

Definitely good examples of having patience with a player.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

And this is his 3rd year. Both Evra and Vidic were regulars in their 3rd year.

lex talionis

Aaron is not a dirty player, so although we can’t give him a complete pass for his red card, it nevertheless betrayed poor judgment how he went in to the opposing player.

My greater concern is that he’s had a long run of mediocre form now. Decent but not great in defending but very poor with the ball.

This is another problem Ole needs to deal with.

bond19821982

Well, you brought them as comparison. May be they aren't a right comparison then.

24 year old from a different league took some time to get used to EPL. No surprise there.

arthurka

Harsh criticism is symptomatic of the limitations of the player than the actual error. Bruno, Shaw, Maguire etc can easily get away with a red card without similar meltdowns.
He would get absolutely slaughtered on here.
But AWB went in to something that was no need for just put the pressure on him and foul him if he breaks the first press. There was no need for this , it was both clumsy, idiotic and poor.
Dalot should get a run now for me, hope Telles can come in soon as Shaw also needs a good kick up the backside his defending has been really lazy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well, you brought them as comparison. May be they aren't a right comparison then.

24 year old from a different league took some time to get used to EPL. No surprise there.
More a comparison to be patient. Players peak at different times.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How long do you have to wait for a PL proven £50m player to, though? Is 3 years not enough?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Evra didn't have AWB's evident technical flaws though, did he? I remember thinking Evra was ropey but I don't remember thinking he was fundamentally limited in his touch and passing ability.

And while I would certainly expect AWB to continue improving defensively, I don't see how he overcomes being technically limited in a position where most top level sides look for a lot more in that regard.

DWelbz19

Evra didn't have AWB's evident technical flaws though, did he? I remember thinking Evra was ropey but I don't remember thinking he was fundamentally limited in his touch and passing ability.

And while I would certainly expect AWB to continue improving defensively, I don't see how he overcomes being technically limited in a position where most top level sides look for a lot more in that regard.
Yep. A player can play forever, but if he has a fundamental flaw like Wan Bissaka has, it really just won't go away. As @kouroux expertly put it yesterday: the ball is like an enemy to him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How long do you have to wait for a PL proven £50m player to, though? Is 3 years not enough?
Again I think it depends on the player. He's not exactly atrocious and he's had some outstanding games, alongside some good and average ones.

I think at least until he's 25. He should start kicking on soon though.

Imagine if Spurs gave up on Bale after he'd been there for 4 years and barely looked like he'd fulfill his potential? Of course not saying he will be anything like Bale, but some footballers take longer than others to really bloom.

No I agree, and I said earlier that he may not be the long term solution there if we wish to be balanced on both sides and attack well. But there's definitely a place for him here.

DWelbz19

Thanks bro :lol: It's an expression we use locally for players who aren't comfortable on the ball.
:D I love it. There was another good one @JPRouve had for a different player - 'he has the tools, but not the toolbox'.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is good enough for our squad even if he isn't our starting RB the longest term.

50 mil players (and defensive players) on the bench play for City and Chelsea and PSG so I don't see much of an issue).

bond19821982

We aren't talking about his peak though. Ability on the ball is one of the basic attributes for a full back. If that hasn't come in 3 years, then we aren't going to get it .

Also it's a flawed logic when you say we have to wait 5- 6 years to see any kind of improvement from a 50m player.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We aren't talking about his peak though. Ability on the ball is one of the basic attributes for a full back. If that hasn't come in 3 years, then we aren't going to get it .

Also it's a flawed logic when you say we have to wait 5- 6 years to see any kind of improvement from a 50m player.
I think some of his play has improved. His passing out from the press is much better than it used to be.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'd like to think that a defensive midfielder and a right-back are both top of the priority list right now.

DutchCruijff

Not sure how anyone can feel that he's good enough for United. He's dreadful on the ball and is very limited going forward.

Defensively he is adept but if you've got no offensive game, you're going to let your team down in the modern game.

MattofManchester

Watching the tackle again, he should have pulled his foot out.
He stamps down on the leg almost above the ankle on the YB player's standing leg.
That was dangerous and stupid and could have had major repercussions for the YB player.
Thankfully it didn't, but his foot was way too high going into that.

Jericho

I don't think he's near the problem some people think he is, but who's considered better and obtainable? Is it just Trippier?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
That we signed him speaks volumes about Oles tactics. AWB is a defensive RB, one of the best in the world. But he is not great attacking.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That we signed him speaks volumes about Oles tactics. AWB is a defensive RB, one of the best in the world. But he is not great attacking.
Also look at a bitof our history -

Gary Neville, Wes Brown, Antonio Valencia etc

Maybe Ole looked at our history and wanted a defensive RB atleast in the squad - couldn't not sign him when seeing him.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He limits our attacking play so much. Everything that happens wide has to happen through Shaw, on the right side of our midfield the right winger/forward gets no help.

West Ham 1:2 Man Utd

Toad

Really good today! Much improved going forward and looked a threat. Fantastic block! Close to my man of the match if it was for DDG.

Abraxas

I thought he was a little lucky not to give a penalty away...that was a silly moment.

Holocene

Much better performance today. He really needs to believe in himself when he gets the ball in the opposition half.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Thought he played really well, obviously wanted to rectify after the sending off. Got a bit lucky with the pen, initial thought was the decision was correct but seeing it back not so sure!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Going to ground in the box like that when there was no need to. Very very lucky to get away with that one.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s pure fecking shite. He flicked on a ball a couple of times.

He’s absolutely garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.