Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Original

Yeah. Honestly, I wouldn't care too much if he was crossing but crossing badly. Its his refusal to even consider putting the ball into the box. He seems to see his role as being a decoy for Greenwood, or to hold the ball until Bruno drifts wide and puts a cross in for him. If he just swung a few balls in, eventually, one or two of them would fall in a dangerous area even if they weren't pinpoint. A defender may make a mistake on one, a goalie may misjudge flight...him being on that right hand side means our opportunity to cause chaos and panic in the area goes down by levels.

Just try Aaron, you might put 10 crap crosses in but the 11th might lead to a second ball situation that sees Cristiano score a tap in.
Not sure why he is getting praise for being competent on the ball, for once.

He was, yet again, found positionally inadequate on crosses and balls in.
What I don't understand is his reluctance to cross the ball. He will pass it side ways to McTominay who will also is reluctant to cross and passes sideways again.

I never see Fred or McTominay ever cross the ball. Does Carrick and McKena not think it's fundamental for them to cross the ball which will give us more dimensions in attack.

I think it's clear why he doesn't cross as much. It's obviously tactical, which I think should be obvious given that it was just a game ago where our manager has said that we're not that type of team as we don't have the players for it?

HailtotheKing

Did you realise that the post you quoted wasn't from yesterday's game?
Haha no I didn’t. Glad I’m not going mad. Thanks for pointing it out! Isn’t it incredible though that he can go from that kinda performance to this? Like in one game he can’t trap a bag of cement, he’s playing 5 yard passes too short and giving it to other players. It just blows my mind that he can have the touch of a three legged donkey and then blink and he looks like silky smooth Pogba.

Devil may care

Haha no I didn’t. Glad I’m not going mad. Thanks for pointing it out! Isn’t it incredible though that he can go from that kinda performance to this? Like in one game he can’t trap a bag of cement, he’s playing 5 yard passes too short and giving it to other players. It just blows my mind that he can have the touch of a three legged donkey and then blink and he looks like silky smooth Pogba.
Yeah, he's very erratic, I think part of it is down to fluctuating confidence and the fact he's not had a chance to build a relationship with a RW as that position has rotated a lot in the last 18 months.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He always looks so limited on the ball. Gets it, does a little shimmy to the side, and then plays it back inside.

I was genuinely surprised when he managed to run past two players from the inside right position and get in the box yesterday. I think Villa were too, judging by how easy he made it look. :lol:

Blood Mage

He was back to his defensive best yesterday but still absolutely shocking going forward. He just isn't at the standard required and I don't think technique can be coached. You don't have much hope of success in the modern game without good attacking wing-backs on both sides, they've become so important for width.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Because sometimes I actually see who's of our players is in the box and most of the time it's only Cristiano and no one else.

And when you take in consideration that Villa played with 3 CB's today, you think to yourself - what is the chance that "my" cross would end up at Cristiano ?
That's OK but he can try. At least do something different. Create doubt in opponents mind. Right now it is very easy for mid-table teams to play against us. They know that there is no threat from AWB side whatsoever.

SAF is the GOAT

That's OK but he can try. At least do something different. Create doubt in opponents mind. Right now it is very easy for mid-table teams to play against us. They know that there is no threat from AWB side whatsoever.
With that it is more likely that the oppositions will get the ball and counter us.

If we don't cross the ball for 2 strikers that are obviously "built" for this, we have to start creating chances for them on other ways and for years we don't do that.

We can buy the best of the best in that position - Haaland, Lewa, Kane you name it, if we aren't creating the chances for them to score a goal, they'll just be frustrated.

BlahRules

Scotty did try to cross the ball from the right end side in this game but his ball was too deep and to the far corner
He had many times to cross it but refused. If one thing we know about Ronaldo is that he just needs the ball in the box and with his movement and heading ability he can make the bad cross into a good cross.

BlahRules

I think it's clear why he doesn't cross as much. It's obviously tactical, which I think should be obvious given that it was just a game ago where our manager has said that we're not that type of team as we don't have the players for it?
We have Ronaldo and also Cavani who are one of the best headers of the ball.

The West Ham game we kept crossing the ball to no one in the ball and that's because Dalot and Telles has the ability to cross. Unfortunately, AWB and McTominay can't cross or pass properly to save their lives and Dalot is shit on the left.

You maybe right and it's Ole's stupid tactics but quiet often the players can't even execute a simple pass and with our coaches I doubt they even train on the basics.

SAF is the GOAT

Another thing that we need to mention is the need for a natural RW to play with him.

Most of the time he plays with Mason - who isn't a RW, and what they do there is just "give the ball to Mason" and he'll manage by himself.

When Sancho will start to play there we'll see a lot more of AWB participating because that's what Sancho does - he plays with the fullback on his side and he'll require AWB to participate with him.

Sometime he'll require AWB to do a overlap, some other time he'll try to do some 1-2 with him to break the low block.

Shinjch

The problem we have with him is that every team we play against is happy to make him the spare man, giving him the freedom of 75% of the pitch. They want him to have the ball because they are so confident he will never do anything of significance with it. Then it triggers the press into midfield as both of our midfielders wouldn't be the most reliable technically. Second half we just couldn't handle it, or get out.

It is something the coaching staff should be working on if he is going to continue to play, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of a plan to work around it. I don't mean that they necessarily should be working on making AWB a better footballer, but they should be working on a tactical plan to overcome what the likes of Villa did with him on Saturday.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't think it's that confusing what to do.

Get a top class attacking RB.

Keep this guy as our defensive option. Hope they push each other and use them when needed.

I like the idea of having a defensive capable fullback.

So many goalscorers are found out wide these days more than as CF's. So they are useful in a full squad.

Kostov

The problem we have with him is that every team we play against is happy to make him the spare man, giving him the freedom of 75% of the pitch. They want him to have the ball because they are so confident he will never do anything of significance with it. Then it triggers the press into midfield as both of our midfielders wouldn't be the most reliable technically. Second half we just couldn't handle it, or get out.

It is something the coaching staff should be working on if he is going to continue to play, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of a plan to work around it. I don't mean that they necessarily should be working on making AWB a better footballer, but they should be working on a tactical plan to overcome what the likes of Villa did with him on Saturday.
Why do I have the same feeling for our CMs most of the time? The either press them as you say or leave Fred and McT to do whatever they want with the ball, because ultimately everybody bar a few cult followers of Fred and Ole know how awfuly bad of footballers they really are. To be sincere I have more hope of AWB doing something than those two.

Matt851

I wonder if there was any tactical plan behind signing AWB (e.g. whether we had planned to keep one full back deeper) or whether we just expected him to develop technically / didn't even realise how bad he was technically

Feels a little like the donny signing where its hard to see how his profile fits with the team

Personally I am not seeing this massive step change in the quality of recruitment some ole supporters are convinced he has delivered.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He had many times to cross it but refused. If one thing we know about Ronaldo is that he just needs the ball in the box and with his movement and heading ability he can make the bad cross into a good cross.
Yet he hasn’t done that once for us so far this season. Makes you wonder if he actually needs good crosses to win those headers. Or there’s an even more depressing conclusion…

Matriac

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...all-news/man-united-wan-bissaka-uefa-21708040
It was announced on Wednesday that UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body have decided to extend Wan-Bissaka's suspension for yet another Champions League fixture after United's match versus Villarreal 'for rough play' against BSC Young Boys.
That's kinda BS of UEFA I would say, the tackle wasn't THAT bad.

I didn't see the City game last night, but apparantly KDB got a yellow for a very similar tackle?

acnumber9

To make that decision a day after watching a player make a worse tackle and get booked for it is a joke.

Jaxa

It's ironic that people think we get the rub of the green when it comes to decisions like this, the amount of penalties/card decisions/goals disallowed and opposition goals allowed when it shouldn't have been is mental,

I'd be seething if i was Ole after hearing this news, can't we fight back in these type of things to try and make a case ? I'd love for someone at Uefa to try and give a reasonable explanation why they have decided to extend a red card ban and then not give a red card for KDB tackle.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Uefa are so corrupt sometimes :lol: , was just overstretching and it happens. Little different to what KDB did.

A-man

The 2 games suspension is horrible news considering the injuries we have in our back line.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't care about his crossing amymore, I just don't want our FB to get beaten 1v1 nine times in a row. Come back AWB.
Yeah it’s really easy to take that kind of solidity for granted. He basically never gives away easy chances one on one so you come to believe that not giving away easy chances is just a normal part of a fullback’s job, it doesn’t earn much credit. But it is really exceptional and no matter who we replace him with we’ll see those chances creeping back in. Unfortunately the player we’re currently replacing him with is a bit crap.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
People have short memories. He will be back a game trying to play back into form and he will be getting daggers for his crossing

MasterCode

I don't care start Dalot. He is an actual footballer. May help Sancho out too as he actually needs an attacking fullback on his side to build up attacks.
See how stupid this quote was. Put some resepct on AWB name.

Golden Nugget

I thought he played really well first half - was decent offensively and really good defensively. Second half his attack wasn’t great

Dinghy

Did one good thing first half = had a great game on here. Absolute shit in the second half.

sammyhol

Good 1st half..

crap 2nd

or to put it another way…

good when we are on top… can’t handle the pressure of the crowd when we need to make something happen

AussieDevil

I cant believe a 50 million player is so scared to take on his man and whip a cross in

Status
Not open for further replies.