Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

Didn't Maguire do something similar last season?
I think so.

Occasions like that tell me there is feck all talking and communication n going on back there.

They seem to do it a lot. Bruno's sky kick for the penalty was another one, just pathetic attempts to get the ball away from a danger area.

It's basic awareness on his part though. He needs to know what's behind him, that's a simple glance over his shoulder. Then he knows what he can and can't do.

He should also get a shout from the keeper or another player there that he can either let it go or glance it off away from danger.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Who'd ever think turn back Valencia would be missed :lol:
Valencia was/is hugely underrated. And i don't why. Maybe because he was not good in last season so people judge him by that.
Prime Valencia (in Mourinho and LVG era) was on level on which AWB will never be.

Bwuk

If we get a progressive manager his days are over. Sell him to Newcastle.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I’ve always supported Wan Bissaka, but I think I’ve finally had enough

People defend him saying that a rightback’s first job is to defend, but he can’t even do that too well.

- Positionally, he is absolutely shocking. Has no idea where he needs to be, either too central or too wide.

- Weak in the air.

- Poor judgement, should have just headed the ball cross out for a corner yesterday for the first goal, ridiculously headed it back into the box and allowed them to score.

- Cannot pass, loses the ball countless times as soon as he has a little bit of pressure on him. Although this one I’ll give him some leeway for now because the midfielder closest to him is usually McTominay who actively hides from receiving the ball.

- Cannot cross or dribble, so pretty useless even when does get some space.

Has a bit of pace and really good at slide-tackling, that’s just about it.

MattofManchester

He seems to be one of those who wants an easy ride.
For a defender, he shows absolutely zero commitment and effort to run back into position after the ball is lost, leaving us wide open on the right.

No attempt to improve his defensive play and positioning, despite that being the easier part of his game to mould.

bugmat

He was actually a really decent right back for LVG and Jose for a few seasons but then it started to get bad and I think those memories stick in people's minds rather than the good ones.
He got old is all - and the yards he put in for us from Fergie down to Jose meant he was burned out physically as a player. He was never as bad as people made out and used to run the entire flank himself. His crossing into defenders was infuriating as it was clear he could do better (and same with his left foot - he could use it but just relied on is right) but sometimes you wonder how players are instructed as he was never dropped for the one-dimensional approach to crosses across several managers.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I feel like teams usually target him. Added to that, there’s definitely a sense that when he goes forward the opposing team doesn’t pressure him as much and give him space with the ball since he usually isn’t very threatening.
Yeh. It's weird that i think his attacking play is improving. But then his defending is regressing. It's like he only has a fix amount of numbers to distribute on attributes. He and Lindelof there is just a match in hell to defend high ball.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
When was the last time we had a really good RB?
Peak Valencia was class. But you're right over the last 15 years we've basically had old Neville, a bit of Wes, Valencia, Young, AWB and some combination of Rafael, Darmian and Dalot.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
When was the last time we had a really good RB?
It’s always been the weakest position in our squad since I can remember going back to Parker.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It’s always been the weakest position in our squad since I can remember going back to Parker.
Isn't right back the weakest position for most teams?

Typically the RB is the worst player on the team. Left backs often some flair. The best RBs are usually grafters.

AussieDevil

I think once Laird gets a few opportunities in the first team next season, he will quickly relegate AWB to the bench.

Hopefully Newcastle see him as a viable option and we can get a decent fee for him.

Villarreal 0:2 Man Utd

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
You could almost see AWB as a microcosm of United as a whole this evening. Defensively very solid throughout, very uncertain and sloppy with the ball first half, but grew into the game as the second half progressed once he derived confidence from the solid platform that we had.

Long Time Red

I'd like to AWB have a run of games with Sancho in front of him.

Think he's been hung out to dry a bit with Greenwood, Pogba, Dan James or whoever else Ole decided to shoehorn in front of him.

Not saying he's going to turn into the world's greatest attacking right back but it can't be easy having a different winger in front of you every week, especially when it's Greenwood who didn't offer much defensively and all he wants to do is cut inside and shoot.

Sancho will at least find him if he makes half decent runs.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He’s just such a huge problem if we want to be more attacking. He is so inconsistent with almost every ball action. Passing, touch, dribbling… it’s all over the place. Imagine having a full back that could actually attack properly and link up with whoever is out on the right. Last time we had that was Rafael. Valencia was solid at least but this guy is a total enigma.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I didn't get the commentary team saying he had a good game... I thought he was the usual load of shite.

He's faster at backing away from players with the ball then he is at actually sprinting forwards.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I like him. I wish he had been signed for 20m. Same with Maguire (I like him less, but he's a good defender). If he'd have been signed for 40m he'd be easier to appreciate. We were absolutely fleeced for those two. And Fred. I'd like him more if we'd have paid 12m for him.

If we get a progressive manager in next season AWB might become understudy to Ethan Laird.

Lentwood

Can't understand the criticism tonight. I think some people get suckered in by the commentators. There was one occasion in the first half were McT gave AWB an awful pass and he worked hard to try and recover the situation, only for Savage to say "why is AWB trying to dribble there?". I imagine 100s leapt for their keyboards at that point to confirm their astonishing insight that AWB isnt prime Dani Alves on the ball...

AWB might never be a flying fullback but he's not as bad as made out on the ball, and how about, for a novel idea, instead of moaning about his weaknesses, we use him in a way that best utilises his strengths? I actually think he did that well tonight, kept their AML very quite, and that was the same player who ripped Dalot to shreds at OT (albeit that was another chaotic "Ole-ball" game, so have to give the defenders a pass really)

Long Time Red

Can't understand the criticism tonight. I think some people get suckered in by the commentators. There was one occasion in the first half were McT gave AWB an awful pass and he worked hard to try and recover the situation, only for Savage to say "why is AWB trying to dribble there?". I imagine 100s leapt for their keyboards at that point to confirm their astonishing insight that AWB isnt prime Dani Alves on the ball...

AWB might never be a flying fullback but he's not as bad as made out on the ball, and how about, for a novel idea, instead of moaning about his weaknesses, we use him in a way that best utilises his strengths? I actually think he did that well tonight, kept their AML very quite, and that was the same player who ripped Dalot to shreds at OT (albeit that was another chaotic "Ole-ball" game, so have to give the defenders a pass really)
Couldn't agree more.

One of the biggest myths in football is that you need attacking full backs.

Kyle Walker goes forward very selectively as does Azpilicueta.

Peak Barca had Abidal at left back who rarely went forward and the width on the left was provided by Pedro, Henry or Iniesta.

If the width is provided by the wingers or the attacking midfielders then the full back doesn't need to go forward and can support play from behind.

With the way Sancho played tonight we don't need AWB to go forward.

He's our best 1 on 1 defender anyway, it's better he's stays back to break up counter attacks which he excels at and only goes forward if there's an opening.

His default position under Ole was way too high to accommodate Greenwood who never kept the width.

I think we'll see a better AWB over the coming games if Carrick sticks with Sancho on the right and he stays wide.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have come into conclusion that it is a poor signing and he is just not good enough and we will need to sign a new right back in the summer.

My no 1 problem with him is actually not his end product but his ability on possession and retaining the ball. So far I see no improvement and I just don't think he will improve in those aspect. When Valencia in his prime in 16/17 as right back, he was good on possession but Bissaka's ball retention is like Smalling. I think we need to prioritise full back passing and ball retention ability over their end product because it is more important aspect for top team who wants to play from the back and have more control in the match.

May be under new manager, we will see improvement and I could change my mind but I think it is part of Bissaka's natural weakness.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was terrible.
eh? he just destroyed danjuma who literally ripped us apart in the first leg.

his first job is as a defender. yes he lost the ball once or twice but that was hardly a poor performance :lol:

Golden Nugget

Agree with most here. Thought he was solid defensively- was a amazed with the low score he had.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We need a new RB. Just the cold hard fact. He just doesn't have the talent to.play RB for a progressive side.

kthanksbye

I'd like to AWB have a run of games with Sancho in front of him.

Think he's been hung out to dry a bit with Greenwood, Pogba, Dan James or whoever else Ole decided to shoehorn in front of him.

Not saying he's going to turn into the world's greatest attacking right back but it can't be easy having a different winger in front of you every week, especially when it's Greenwood who didn't offer much defensively and all he wants to do is cut inside and shoot.

Sancho will at least find him if he makes half decent runs.
He's had a run of games with Varane next to him, last season he had a marathon of games with Lindelof and we've almost always played with Mcfred and Bruno in midfield, he hasn't developed anything with anyone of them, he takes too much time on the ball, regardless of who the passing option is in front of him, he's as reluctant to play it to Bruno as he is to Fred.

He's just not a really good player going forward, I can see him maybe play a defensive fullback role like Di Lorenzo plays for Italy or Ivanovic used to play for Chelsea, could also move to a RCB in a back 3/5, but he's not good enough going forward in a back 4.

MiracleInMadrid

I just don't see it happening with the likes of AWB and McTominay. They don't impose confidence in their teammates. You never trust their first touch, or how the handle being under pressure. And they play in key positions in terms of our build-up play.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I find him quite an interesting & fun player to watch.

It's a bit of a gamble sure - but I'd be quite sad if we just ditch him because he is an interesting player to me and I want to see the guy develop in the next couple of years under some good coaches to try see him in his prime.

I'd get a better attacking version to replace Dalot and then keep Wan Bissaka competing against his weaknesses through a better player. Use the attacker when we have to and use Wan Bissaka when that might be better.

I enjoy his blocks, tackles, goal line clearances as well as the random times when he does an attack and it kind of works out - like that lofted pass to Ronaldo yesterday.

I know people say he is always shit but I don't think that's true, he has had plenty good games for us but it's as inconsistent as the rest of the team is.

Redlyn

Couldn't agree more.

Peak Barca had Abidal at left back who rarely went forward and the width on the left was provided by Pedro, Henry or Iniesta.

If the width is provided by the wingers or the attacking midfielders then the full back doesn't need to go forward and can support play from behind.

He's our best 1 on 1 defender anyway, it's better he's stays back to break up counter attacks which he excels at and only goes forward if there's an opening.

His default position under Ole was way too high to accommodate Greenwood who never kept the width.

I think we'll see a better AWB over the coming games if Carrick sticks with Sancho on the right and he stays wide.
You need one of your fullbacks to give you something going forward. Peak Barca had world class players, they could carry Abidal, we have Mcfred. Add to that a clogging right back and you have just really blunted your team. Why settle for a slide tackle AWB when there are better players. Even Trippier would have benched him by now.

Dan_F

You need one of your fullbacks to give you something going forward. Peak Barca had world class players, they could carry Abidal, we have Mcfred. Add to that a clogging right back and you have just really blunted your team. Why settle for a slide tackle AWB when there are better players. Even Trippier would have benched him by now.
Definitely. Walker has Cancelo, Azpi doesn’t play at right back much any more but has Chilwell or Alonso, Abidal had Alves. This is added to the fact that the likes of Walker and Azpi are far more comfortable on the ball anyway, even if they aren’t bombing forward all the time (they were at 22).

Shaw did play that role last season, but it’s noticeable how much worse we’re playing when he’s out of form.

Lynty

Never fails to amaze me that some blame our poor attempts of attacking down the right wing on our RB. We haven't had a right winger for almost decade and Greenwood has been a really poor winger.

We need two midfielders and a new manager before we even look at upgrading RB. We're probably 12 months away from needing a fresh number 9 as well, so even that might be more of a priority.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Couldn't agree more.

It's not a must to have attacking fullbacks but if you have a look back at the best teams in Europe over the past decade it seems as if it's definitely the way to go. Barca with Alves and Alba, Bayern with Alaba and Lahm, Real with Marcelo, Liverpool with Robertson and Trent, City with the fiftyeleven FB's they've had.

You might not need two of those type of full backs on the pitch at the same time but in todays football it's so important to get that extra man down the flank to set up plays when you're playing against a set defence, especially against teams that play with a low block. Creating numerical advantages is one of the easiest ways to get where you want to go on the pitch so it's always going to be better to have a full back going forward for support instead of just having a winger to deal with it on their own.

It's also a huge difference between being an attacking fullback and being downright bad at passing/crossing/making runs, and unfortunately AWB is closer to the latter. He is still very young though and he will improve his game for sure, I'm just not sure how high up the ladder he can get.

Long Time Red

I'd replace Luke Shaw before I'd replace AWB as he's an elite one on one defender who has consistently proven he can shut down the elite wingers like Mane, Sterling, Neymar etc.

The likes of Azpilicueta and Walker get to pass and receive the ball from world class midfielders like Jorginho, Kante, Rodri, Gundogan etc so would they be as good if they played with McFred?

They have both hugely benefited from world class coaching when you consider Azpilicueta has worked with Benitez, Ancelotti, Conte and Tuchel and Walker has worked with Pochettino and Guardiola. What coaches has AWB worked with? Roy Hodgson and Ole...

He deserves the chance to improve under a proper coach as he's still only 23..

romufc

He is a massive issue for us. Sancho need someone who will overlap and be able to pass and receive the ball.

Even playing out the back, everytime the ball goes to AWB, I just know we will lose it, he must have lost it 3/4 times in dangerous areas yesterday.

You cannot build on that, if he cannot pass the ball or cannot play under pressure, he will need to be replaced asap.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is a massive issue for us. Sancho need someone who will overlap and be able to pass and receive the ball.

Even playing out the back, everytime the ball goes to AWB, I just know we will lose it, he must have lost it 3/4 times in dangerous areas yesterday.

You cannot build on that, if he cannot pass the ball or cannot play under pressure, he will need to be replaced asap.
Whilst I agree- 2 out of those 4 chances were from bad passes directly towards him.

Long Time Red

Never fails to amaze me that some blame our poor attempts of attacking down the right wing on our RB. We haven't had a right winger for almost decade and Greenwood has been a really poor winger.

We need two midfielders and a new manager before we even look at upgrading RB. We're probably 12 months away from needing a fresh number 9 as well, so even that might be more of a priority.
Yep, AWB is more than fit for purpose for now.

We should be able to beat relegation fodder with the likes of Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho and Bruno at the top end of the pitch and not need the RB to provide the creative spark and against the top teams it's more important to stop the left winger than it is to have a great game going forward.

If in a couple of seasons he hasn't improved and we've upgraded the midfield, a new number 9 and possibly Maguire then perhaps it's time to look at RB but he's more than fine for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.