Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCavani

He is without question one of the most bizarre footballers I have ever seen. That game showed everything good and bad about him.

I think he may have been trained for the wrong position - I know he's a converted winger which is even more unbelievable - he‘s so exceptionally good at stopping and slowing down a ball carrier but he has no positional discipline and he’s as smooth as sandpaper in possession. It's not like he doesn't have technical ability, he just looks like Bambi on ice when he has the ball. In another life he was coached up effectively and he's a world class ball winning midfielder in the Ndidi mould.

I don’t think Poch or many of the names linked would have much time for him and he’s badly holding back whoever we play ahead of him. Attacking full backs are just too important in the modern game. I imagine Laird will be competing for a place when he’s back from loan and we’ll go for someone like Max Aarons down the line.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
In another life he was coached up effectively and he's a world class ball winning midfielder in the Ndidi mould.
Ah, the long awaited sequel to 'Should we stick Lindelöf in midfield?' and 'Should we stick Jones in midfield?' - coming soon to a caf near you. :drool:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I find him quite an interesting & fun player to watch.

It's a bit of a gamble sure - but I'd be quite sad if we just ditch him because he is an interesting player to me and I want to see the guy develop in the next couple of years under some good coaches to try see him in his prime.

I'd get a better attacking version to replace Dalot and then keep Wan Bissaka competing against his weaknesses through a better player. Use the attacker when we have to and use Wan Bissaka when that might be better.

I enjoy his blocks, tackles, goal line clearances as well as the random times when he does an attack and it kind of works out - like that lofted pass to Ronaldo yesterday.

I know people say he is always shit but I don't think that's true, he has had plenty good games for us but it's as inconsistent as the rest of the team is.
Realistically we'll keep him and replace Dalot, so he will get a chance under the new manager. We're not buying two RBs and Laird doing well in midtable championship as a glorified winger isn't going to walk into the team next season.

Couldn't agree more.

One of the biggest myths in football is that you need attacking full backs.
In the modern game fullback needs to be able to do something with the ball. Forget attacking or even making an overlap for a cross, AWB struggles to pass the ball to a teammate. That's a huge problem in our build up, never mind going forward.

Redlyn

I'd replace Luke Shaw before I'd replace AWB as he's an elite one on one defender who has consistently proven he can shut down the elite wingers like Mane, Sterling, Neymar etc.

The likes of Azpilicueta and Walker get to pass and receive the ball from world class midfielders like Jorginho, Kante, Rodri, Gundogan etc so would they be as good if they played with McFred?

They have both hugely benefited from world class coaching when you consider Azpilicueta has worked with Benitez, Ancelotti, Conte and Tuchel and Walker has worked with Pochettino and Guardiola. What coaches has AWB worked with? Roy Hodgson and Ole...

He deserves the chance to improve under a proper coach as he's still only 23..
Yes as a back up RB. I prefer a more rounded fullback.
Usually players get more consistent with age not develop skills they dont have.

Long Time Red

Realistically we'll keep him and replace Dalot, so he will get a chance under the new manager. We're not buying two RBs and Laird doing well in midtable championship as a glorified winger isn't going to walk into the team next season.

In the modern game fullback needs to be able to do something with the ball. Forget attacking or even making an overlap for a cross, AWB struggles to pass the ball to a teammate. That's a huge problem in our build up, never mind going forward.
Stats from last season:

AWB vs Walker

Passing accuracy 86% v 89.4%
Passing accuracy 5-15 yards 92.1% v 93%
Assists 4 v 2
Goals 2 v 1
Tackles + Interceptions per 90 minutes 4.79 v 2.41

If you took Walker and put him in our team this season he'd look the same error prone idiot he looked at Spurs.

Put AWB in the City team with Pep coaching him and he'd look world class.

In fairness to all of our players we should reserve judgement until they've spent time working with a world class coach before saying they're not good enough.

Is AWB ever going to be Reece James, Alexander-Arnold or Hakimi? No but he is more than good enough to be the starting RB for us.

Last edited:

Oranges038

Couldn't agree more.

One of the biggest myths in football is that you need attacking full backs.

Kyle Walker goes forward very selectively as does Azpilicueta.

Peak Barca had Abidal at left back who rarely went forward and the width on the left was provided by Pedro, Henry or Iniesta.

If the width is provided by the wingers or the attacking midfielders then the full back doesn't need to go forward and can support play from behind.

With the way Sancho played tonight we don't need AWB to go forward.

He's our best 1 on 1 defender anyway, it's better he's stays back to break up counter attacks which he excels at and only goes forward if there's an opening.

His default position under Ole was way too high to accommodate Greenwood who never kept the width.

I think we'll see a better AWB over the coming games if Carrick sticks with Sancho on the right and he stays wide.
I think it's funny that people seem to think that having attacking full backs is somehow a novel new idea.

The only thing that's changed is that now it looks like they are either good at attacking or defending, but apparently it can't be both. The best throughout football have always been good at both ends of the pitch.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Stats from last season:

AWB vs Walker

Passing accuracy 86% v 89.4%
Passing accuracy 5-15 yards 92.1% v 93%
Assists 4 v 2
Goals 2 v 1
Tackles + Interceptions per 90 minutes 4.79 v 2.41

If you took Walker and put him in our team this season he'd look the same error prone idiot he looked at Spurs.

Put AWB in the City team with Pep coaching him and he'd look world class.

In fairness to all of our players we should reserve judgement until they've spent time working with a world class coach before saying they're not good enough.

Is AWB ever going to be Reece James, Alexander-Arnold or Hakimi? No but he is more than good enough to be the starting RB for us.
Walker is bang average and easily one of the worst City starters.

AWB would still struggle passing to a teammate at City, but I'm sure their coaching setup would improve him somewhat.

Lentwood

AWB would still struggle passing to a teammate at City, but I'm sure their coaching setup would improve him somewhat.
Walker is not bang average at all, he's just as important as Cancelo but for a different reason.

Note how whenever a City player is chasing a breakaway to make a last ditch tackle/interception, it's almost always Walker?

That's not an accident. Pep knows his recovery pace is exceptional, so he is positioned to defend those situations.

We could attempt something similar with AWB
Not as quick, but arguably a better tackler. Example - Wolves this season when he made that fantastic last ditch recovery block

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Walker is not bang average at all, he's just as important as Cancelo but for a different reason.

Note how whenever a City player is chasing a breakaway to make a last ditch tackle/interception, it's almost always Walker?

That's not an accident. Pep knows his recovery pace is exceptional, so he is positioned to defend those situations.

We could attempt something similar with AWB
Not as quick, but arguably a better tackler. Example - Wolves this season when he made that fantastic last ditch recovery block
All City players are important to the way they play because their manager has a clue, just like how all Ajax players are important. Walker is still average, and so is Ajax's Alvarez.

I'm the last one to doubt a proper a manager won't get a lot more out of AWB than he has shown so far. I just think he has a lot of deficiencies and I get the impression his attitude is shite.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Walker is better on the ball than AWB. Far from being anything special, but better.

However, it's certainly true that City's better structure helps hide his weaknesses in that regard more. A pretty basic principle is that you want your best attacking players to be the guys getting on the ball in attacking positions and we too often see AWB left as the guy in space on the ball.

thepolice123

He is one of the main reasons why we are terrible at playing through the middle. Block out the right lane and he is unable to make a quick pass to the CM with his left foot. It doesn't help that our CM is positionally poor.

Long Time Red

Is that the same Walker that had Neymar and Mbappe in his pocket last night and also got an assist or a different one?

If there was a "bang average" right back on display last night it was Hakimi.

Walker is better on the ball than AWB. Far from being anything special, but better.

However, it's certainly true that City's better structure helps hide his weaknesses in that regard more. A pretty basic principle is that you want your best attacking players to be the guys getting on the ball in attacking positions and we too often see AWB left as the guy in space on the ball.
Walker was still only in his second full season at Spurs at the same age Wan-Bissaka is now and was poor on the ball and massive liability. He's improved massively from years of coaching from Pochettino and Guardiola. Most people laughed at City paying £50m for him but it now looks like decent business.

Judge Wan-Bissaka when he's received some proper coaching for a decent period of time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is that the same Walker that had Neymar and Mbappe in his pocket last night and also got an assist or a different one?

Walker was still only in his second full season at Spurs at the same age Wan-Bissaka is now and was poor on the ball and massive liability. He's improved massively from years of coaching from Pochettino and Guardiola. Most people laughed at City paying £50m for him but it now looks like decent business.

Judge Wan-Bissaka when he's received some proper coaching for a decent period of time.
Didn't Wan Bissaka keep Neymar in his pocket too?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If AWB's standard is "might eventually be as good as Kyle Walker if he gets years of coaching from the best manager on the planet and is played in a system that covers his weaknesses" then forgive me if I'm still less than thrilled.

Cloud7

I do wonder if I'll ever actually warm up to AWB. I didn't think he was the right signing for us when he was signed, and I've seen nothing of him since then that has made me reconsider that. When I watch him play I just don't see a Manchester United fullback in him. Shaw at his best is a United LB. Evra, Rafael, Wes Brown, O Shea, these guys were United fullbacks. As much as I liked Darmian I got the same feeling with him, I never saw a United FB in him. I would like to be proven wrong, but I think it's more likely a new manager sees AWB as part of the problem and tries to upgrade him, and I can see us definitely being better off for it.

romufc

I do wonder if I'll ever actually warm up to AWB. I didn't think he was the right signing for us when he was signed, and I've seen nothing of him since then that has made me reconsider that. When I watch him play I just don't see a Manchester United fullback in him. Shaw at his best is a United LB. Evra, Rafael, Wes Brown, O Shea, these guys were United fullbacks. As much as I liked Darmian I got the same feeling with him, I never saw a United FB in him. I would like to be proven wrong, but I think it's more likely a new manager sees AWB as part of the problem and tries to upgrade him, and I can see us definitely being better off for it.
I just don't think he has the ability to play for Manutd. I watch us play out the back and the ball goes to him, I am hoping he is not pressed and can make a pass.

Most of the times, he makes a poor pass, poor decision, when you compare him to other full backs he isnt even 10% of what Trent, Walker, James are.

I can't see him improving, sometimes you can see there is a player, they have technical ability, but with AWB, I do not see it. Under pressure, he cannot keep the ball.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

He had one good game (I'll take your word for it) in a well oiled machine vs a dysfunctional team? And an assist for playing for Manchester City? Incredible.
Yes, the defensive side of his game is the best, but his technical ability together with Stones is the worst on the team.

50m for Walker only looks like good business to you because he plays for a successful team. They can start Ake at LB in the EPL and still beat teams 5-0. There's always some shite at top teams. Van der Wiel was PSG's starting fullback for years and he's half the player the AWB is.

Long Time Red

Didn't Wan Bissaka keep Neymar in his pocket too?
Is there a top winger that Wan-Bissaka hasn't pocketed?

Wan-Bissaka is the same age as Luke Shaw was in Jose's final days and in my opinion deserves more time to develop under a decent coach.

Cloud7

Wan-Bissaka is the same age as Luke Shaw was in Jose's final days and in my opinion deserves more time to develop under a decent coach.
Luke Shaw was showing what he was about since his time at Southampton. He had terrible luck with injuries and then having to deal with Jose, but you always knew what Shaw was capable of even before we signed him. It was always there. He always looked a proper player. I've never seen it with AWB.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm quite excited to see him under this new manager.

He is going to get a next level of coaching and it will be good to see if he can finally make that next step up in the next point of his career.

Maybe he won't- but still it feels like an exam he can take and have the consequences if he does well or not.

Redlyn

Luke Shaw was showing what he was about since his time at Southampton. He had terrible luck with injuries and then having to deal with Jose, but you always knew what Shaw was capable of even before we signed him. It was always there. He always looked a proper player. I've never seen it with AWB.
Also Luke shaw was already our player of the season at 23. He always had ability and last season really found world class consistency. While AWB looks like an extremely limited footballer.

croadyman

I'm quite excited to see him under this new manager.

He is going to get a next level of coaching and it will be good to see if he can finally make that next step up in the next point of his career.

Maybe he won't- but still it feels like an exam he can take and have the consequences if he does well or not.
Yeah an attacking RB feels like a position we still need to address, however maybe Ralf can get something out of him that Ole could never do.

OTRightWinger07

i still think this young man only needs discipline, clear and strong directions from the bench.

rangnick might do wonders with him.

croadyman

i still think this young man only needs discipline, clear and strong directions from the bench.

rangnick might do wonders with him.
Well we will certainly have an answer soon as to whether he has technical deficiencies or just been badly coached so far

Giggs' right foot

Even the penalty aside, I just find him dreadful.

Watching him try and get past James around the corner at the end was like watching a fourth grader read Ulysses.

He’s out of his depth going forward, and in these times that’s a no-go when it comes to fullbacks.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Anyone could give away that penalty, so whatever.

His general defensive mistakes and positional problems are the bigger issue. If you're that weak going forward then you have to be exceptionally good defensively and that means a lot more than just tackling.

He just isn't all that good a fullback.

PoTMS

He epitomises the Ole era. Not good enough, no idea what he's doing, no plan whatsoever. Get rid.

SAFMUTD

He's lucky Dalot is absolutely shit otherwise he wouldnt see a minute. What a total shitfest.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
He is bang average. Except the last ditch tackling, he understands nothing of defending.

KeanoMagicHat

I thought the penalty was pretty unlucky to be ripping into him for it, Thiago Silva just appears in front of him from behind suddenly when he's clearly trying to clear the ball. However, wasn't his best game on the ball at all. Made a nice block from Werner all the same.

Oranges038

Christ he is awful. Just an awful awful footballer, rubbish defender and no football brains at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.